Total Members Voted: 5

Pirate Reef Pier 1963: 9/17/19: Odds and Ends; and Hurricane

• 135 replies

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Present day: E-mail

Dear Atlantic City Historical Foundation,
It has come to me that there is no information about a old amusement park pier on the boardwalk. I understand, it used to exist but now sits empty and I have heard stories from my parents and other folks about the rides that graced the pier. Such as the Meteor roller coaster, or the Mine Ride, or something about a water ride. I am doing a report for a website about the history, I have asked many other organizations and you are probably the last hope. I would like to know anything about the beginnings, rides, pictures, reports and events associated with the pier. Thanks in advance!

-Kyle

Reply: Hello Kyle,
Thanks for the questions! And I must say you are lucky, just recently a local resident who has documented the pier, has a gold mine of information and pictures from the start and finish. He decided to give us copies of pictures and footage. Please click on the attachment below. Hope you enjoy, and good luck with the project!

Sincerely,
Sarah Goldsmith
ACHF Supervisor

The beginnings of something special

Fall 1962

Atlantic City has been a pretty decent east coast city, filled with the usual entertainment, restaurants, night life. But recently the southern tip of the island has experienced a stimulus of growth. What used to just be an 45 year old life guard station and house was bought out by an entrepreneur named Will Wright. He is known as the owner of a steel company and financial bank, him and a real estate Tycoon named David Cook teamed up and bought acres of land. For the first few years, the boardwalk that was there was extended, by 1961 a hotel was built called the Ocean Inn, featuring twin buildings with ocean view, and side views. Soon after that the life guard building was turned into a museum and renovated. The beaches were beginning to be used, but despite the new situation, there was still something needed to bring fun and fascination to the beach.  This year I stopped by to take a look around at all the fuss and noise.

^ The skyline view so far, a pretty chilly day, and still a few people walking around.

^ The Ocean Inn neighbors the life guard outpost.

^ The life guard house, actually used to have spare rooms for life guards to sleep, and rarely fishermen as well.

^ I snuck up for a view for my self in the tower.

^ Apparently there were plans to build more condominiums in the future. Well see what happens.

^ Lets take a look inside the museum!

^ A lot of interesting items to check out.

^ Some rare artifacts indeed! Ocean related wonders!

^ A sealed fire place.

^ A glimpse of the upper residence can be seen.

^ Despite being surrounded by new buildings, the life guard tower still reigns as the tallest structure down here.

^ Wait what's this? A staging area for construction equipment.

^ The beach is littered with wood and other supplies, but for what?

^ Footers in the sand. Something is going on, there is a rumor about some type of entertainment coming down here. Could this be it? Well have to wait and see!

Creators Note:

Hello everyone! Well fisherman did me in, hell he reeled me in and now here I am with a ocean related project! Now mind you, I was planning on doing this but was waiting until Planet Coaster added a bit more to make it worth starting, and with the no Collison and other additions it is time. In this game you really can be very detailed, and create quite a bit. But with that, it takes a long time to build your ideas! It took me 3 days (hour or 2 each) to finish the life guard building. Another 2 for everything else, which means updates will be when I finish my ideas. Now in the past few years, I am a busy man, in a band and working a lot. I don't have as much time compared to when I was creating parks years ago, but that is not a problem. NOW, those who have seen my parks before should know what this project is, and its also ironic and interesting to say that its the 10th year anniversary (Can't believe that!) of a certain project. Now we all know the rave about remakes these days, or prequels of movies and popular culture. Consider this a reimagining. With the possibilities of planet coaster, I can now realize things that I couldn't do in Rct3, and possibly add other ideas that were never added. And this project, will be a bit different, but similar! I hope you guys enjoy this ride! Questions, concerns, comments, bring them!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:25 PM by Plokoon111 »

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
Re: 1962: "Something is going on!"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 05:46 PM »
I must say your architecture is beautiful, and the interior to the museum is just marvelous. It all definitely has that 'town by the sea' vibe to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Offline Mikikiwasha

• Aka. SilentMember
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 05:56 PM »
If this is what I think it is, then I am super excited as it was the first project I saw when I got to the RCT3 forums. Even if it isn't, I'm still excited to see yet another fantastic Plokoon pier park. I love the light house and the life guard house. I can't wait to see more!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:06 PM »
YAY!!!  It's starting!  This will be wonderful.   :yes:

Offline Simtanic8

• Wait, which one are you again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing older style creations.  :up:

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 01:11 AM »
This is going to be good. B)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 06:12 AM »
I want to live in that life guard house.  Liked the museum too.  Can't wait to see what other architectural marvels you throw at us.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 12:58 PM »

I must say your architecture is beautiful, and the interior to the museum is just marvelous. It all definitely has that 'town by the sea' vibe to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

^ Thank you Kindrly! The architecture is inspired by an actual building in Ocean City Maryland! Glad I conveyed that feeling well!

If this is what I think it is, then I am super excited as it was the first project I saw when I got to the RCT3 forums. Even if it isn't, I'm still excited to see yet another fantastic Plokoon pier park. I love the light house and the life guard house. I can't wait to see more!

^ An old fan! That means a lot to me! I'm not going to answer that question at the moment.  ;)

YAY!!!  It's starting!  This will be wonderful.   :yes:

Thanks fisherman! Love your work as well!

Absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing older style creations.  :up:

Thank you Simtanic8, nice to see you still around!

This is going to be good. B)

^ That means a lot coming from the master of complicated parks! Please do stick around!  :w00t:

I want to live in that life guard house.  Liked the museum too.  Can't wait to see what other architectural marvels you throw at us.

Glad you like it, took a while to make! And I am making habit to actually base my architecture off of real life inspirations, compared to how I used to do it; example: just building whatever in the moment!

Thank you everyone, for the views and interest! I can't wait to really get started...

'What's this?'

December 2nd 1962, boardwalk.

I've been a bit busy the past month and a half. My new job as a inspector has been chaotic but awarding. Since Atlantic City isn't too far, I had to stop by and see what all the ruckus was about. After all, I am curious! Could be nothing, could be something.

^ What's this? These secret contractors have been busy alright. Many pilings were poured apparently, to hold something quite sturdy. A boring fishing pier would probably be made out of log poles, or maybe a pier of entertainment?

^ A lot of progress indeed, they already started putting the decks in. I am really excited now, but we have to wait for more. However I did find a ripped letter up.

Plan Revision #2:
20 x 60 ft 
Oak Lumber Depot
Order request for 24 types of paint.
Scaffolding needed soon.
Building type: Custom, to be made in house.
Ride name: P.. (ripped off)

Not much I can tell, I wonder what it is. What could possibly use that much paint?

Whoever can guess what type of attraction / building it is, gets a sneak peak picture message!

Offline PandaCoasters

• The Grinch wearing a mask holding a gun
    • View Profile
    • PandaCoasters' Youtube
Re: 1962: 4/17/17 "Whats this?" + challenge
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Ooo, oo! Haunted house :mad:up:
'I vote that my team makes Trump Land with a big fat wall from Boston's Dams so we can make SSD great again and keep out the illegal normies.'

-me, SSD'16

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Has to be the iconic walk thru ship, resurrected!

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Im really loving all these photos and history stuff. Cant wait for future chapters!

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Nice job with the retro feel! Creative use of the signs, looking forward to the next update. :)

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 04:18 PM »

Ooo, oo! Haunted house :mad:up:

^ Hmm..

Has to be the iconic walk thru ship, resurrected!

^ Who knows...

Im really loving all these photos and history stuff. Cant wait for future chapters!

^ Thanks, appreciate your comment! Please do tune in as it gets much more exciting, and I am excited for you all to see it as well!

Nice job with the retro feel! Creative use of the signs, looking forward to the next update. :)

^ Thanks! Glad the theme is getting through!

'The Fence' December 20th 1962

Its been a few weeks since I stopped by, so why not stop on by again? Traffic was getting a bit hectic getting there due to the last Christmas Shopping. Going down the boardwalk, it was a ghost town. As it should be, I did notice the pier was completed in record time. But something new that I spotted!

^ Getting closer, you can see large columns of wood. Looks to be pretty tall.

^ Disappointingly a fence stands in the way, apparently some trespassers were becoming a nuisance. But a tease on the sign, that leaves me wondering: Just tell us what it is already!

^ I'm getting to old to climb fences, but the adrenaline! Nothing much to spot, some storage trailers, and a foundation for a building. Maybe a restaurant? Fishing Shop? I have no idea.

More as it comes!

Re: 1962: 4/18/17 "The Fence" do we dare cross the border?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Love your story telling style. I think it's terrific how so many of us have retooled or reinvented our styles and in many cases are literally rebuilding our previous efforts in PC.

Can't wait to see where you go with this.

With 24 different paint colors, I'm going to go with a walk through or possibly a ride through Fun House.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: 1962: 4/18/17 "The Fence" do we dare cross the border?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 03:56 PM »

Love your story telling style. I think it's terrific how so many of us have retooled or reinvented our styles and in many cases are literally rebuilding our previous efforts in PC.

Can't wait to see where you go with this.

With 24 different paint colors, I'm going to go with a walk through or possibly a ride through Fun House.

^ Thanks Citytrader! Yeah I guess I feel passionate about certain old projects, and with this new simulation, I can now do so much and move things wherever instead of a grid. Plus boardwalks are so much fun to build!

'Studs Up' December 22nd 1962

Finally, some more progress on whatever this building is. I am thinking it is a restaurant of some sorts, but there seems to be much more to build. Strangely enough they seem to just be focusing on this particular part of the pier, I would imagine there is a lot more that they plan on building! The excitement is gradually building....

^ More studs going up.

^ Scaffolding was recently put up. (What the heck is in those crates?)

I have a feeling there is going to be more exciting progress to be seen! Just a hunch.  ;)

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
Re: 1962: 4/20/17 'Studs Up' Whats in these crates?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Wow, I don't think I've seen a construction site in this game quite as convincing as what you just showed. Looks like there's still a lot of space left on the pier, so I look forward to what you have planned.

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 03:27 PM »
This thread just keeps getting better... So keen to see what they're building!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 05:44 AM »

Wow, I don't think I've seen a construction site in this game quite as convincing as what you just showed. Looks like there's still a lot of space left on the pier, so I look forward to what you have planned.

^ Thanks I appreciate it Kinderly. My other sort of hobby is construction projects, I love to keep track of skyscrapers under construction, architecture, anything related to building projects so I tend to try to make structures as if they can actually exist in reality.

This thread just keeps getting better... So keen to see what they're building!

^ Thanks! We will hopefully find out soon!

'Tilted and Edgy' December 24th 1962

I figured I would head on down and snap a quick update before Christmas Eve festivities! I know, don't I have more important things to be doing right now? Well luckily I am no procrastinator! Traffic is not to good at the moment, but I don't mind that at all! With the curiosities in my head wondering what new additions have happened, I am still surprised that they haven't built anything else yet. With such a big space, there must be more that we haven't seen yet, or will see!

^ Despite how sunny this picture looks, it is cold and windy. Sand is damp from a rainstorm. Some new outside additions were built onto this structure.

^ And so what ... I trespassed! But here is our reward, but what reward is this? The studs are slanted and zig zigged, rather odd.

^ Other side is as well.

^ Our money shot! We have finally figured out what type of pier this will be! Amusement pier! This I believe is a tilt a whirl.

^ A shot of both together!

So some more clues, and a few new answers and a few new questions...

Re: 1962: 4/22/17 'Tilted and Edgy' A major question answered!
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 06:27 AM »
You've been getting more time to work on this than I thought based on what you said in the original post, and I for one am quite glad.  And I kind of doubt you're able to work much ahead of what you post what with the timeline and all (speaking from experience  :P)   

The pictures and the storytelling are great, I can't believe some of the things you're coming up with to show that "under construction" look!!

Offline n7

• This stupidity must be immortalized
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 01:25 PM »
I forget what it was called....Pirate Reef Pier?

So glad to see another stalwart coming back to life.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 02:30 PM »
This is so cool how you do these WIP shots that are realistically WIP :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Walle_Epcot

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Oh my! I've never seen construction pics of a park go to this level of detail before now! I can't wait to see what details are on the horizon when the park comes alive!

Offline Tim_K

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 04:16 PM »
I can definitely admire the way you commit to your narrative by actually creating the wooden skeleton of your buildings first, including some actual scaffolding supports. (unless I'm misinterpreting it?). I'd never have the patience for something like that!
Love the look of your Apartment blocks and your museum as well.

It's going to be interesting to experience the story of this park!  :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:53 AM by Tim_K »

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 08:33 AM »

You've been getting more time to work on this than I thought based on what you said in the original post, and I for one am quite glad.  And I kind of doubt you're able to work much ahead of what you post what with the timeline and all (speaking from experience  :P )   

The pictures and the storytelling are great, I can't believe some of the things you're coming up with to show that "under construction" look!!

^ Yeah, I am surprisingly managing my time very well I must say haha! Thanks I appreciate the comment, its some work to do but its fun and satisfying and the fact that others like it to keeps me excited and motivated to keep doing it!

I forget what it was called....Pirate Reef Pier?

So glad to see another stalwart coming back to life.

^ Shhh... You've been around for quite a few of my piers such as one called PK studios by the pier with the triple drop tower, I remember you made a logo for me for the top back in 06. Obviously you also contributed ideas in the other park as well, some type of mine ride you proposed. Now, the biggest question, with CPG come back?  :w00t:

This is so cool how you do these WIP shots that are realistically WIP :)

^ Thanks Bullethead!

Oh my! I've never seen construction pics of a park go to this level of detail before now! I can't wait to see what details are on the horizon when the park comes alive!

^ Glad to show off construction to others haha. It takes time for sure.

I can definitely admire the way you commit to your narrative by actually creating the wooden skeleton of your buildings first, including some actual scaffolding supports. (unless I'm misinterpreting it?). I'd never have the patience for something like that!
Love the look of your Apartment blocks and your museum as well.

It's going to be interesting to experience the story of this park!  :) 

^ Yeah it makes it feel realistic, and it presents challenges. Like how would this exist in real life? Of course I have references for rides, and buildings I make, but as always I do put my own spin on it as well. But do buckle up it is going to be quite a ride!

'Rush Delivery' January 1st 1963

Happy new year to all! A year full of wonderful opportunities, and of course a new amusement pier opening in Atlantic City Boardwalk. I am for one excited, and also can say I have been receiving pictures from a worker on site! I gave him my address, and he sends what he can. Not too sure when they were taken, but what matters is up close goodies! I did ask about the pier and what it would be called, but as always he was hush. They all signed an agreement not to discuss names, and plans. He is doing us a favor by even sneaking photographs! His name is John by the way, and he is a recruited park carpenter.

^ Wow, a lot of new progress, on what looks to be some type of funhouse? A lot of small corridors, and such.

^ And what's this? Looks like shipments of wood have come in!

^ What could this be? What is this company, I might have to ask around and see what this company makes.

More as it comes!

Re: 1963: 4/23/17 'Rush Delivery' Whats with this wood?
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 09:48 AM »
HA! Nailed it! Knew it was some type of fun house. Unless it's the queue for something else?

As always, great job bringing the building aspect to life. You make us immersed in the whole experience.

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Oooh it's coming together!  ;D

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 02:54 PM »

HA! Nailed it! Knew it was some type of fun house. Unless it's the queue for something else?

As always, great job bringing the building aspect to life. You make us immersed in the whole experience.

^ Thanks so much citytrader! Appreciate it!

Oooh it's coming together!  ;D

Yep, it sure it!  ;)

'Screaming!' January 8th 1963

More photographs arrived! A lot more to see actually! Looking like some sort of haunted cave? Some kind of spooky funhouse attraction! Can't wait to see the final product.

^ Very menacing looking!

^ Looks like another floor beginning?

^ The stairs agree, another story for sure!

John told me to expect a lot of new progress on other rides soon! He expects quite a few rides, and one that surely change the skyline of the boardwalk, what ever that may mean? Be sure to tune in for more daily updates!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:44 PM by Plokoon111 »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Awesome  work!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
^ Thank you Fisherman!

Going Up! January 22nd 1963

Its been quite awhile since I went down the shore to check progress, work has been busy for me! And its also been awhile since John sent me some photographs, but look at what showed up today! Its not many pictures, but hell I'll just take one picture! Not sure when he took these, but progress is surely picking up some speed from what I see.

^ More of this funhouse is going up!

^ Holy smokes! A roller coaster is being built on the pier! How exciting! Looks to be wooden, and a pretty decent size, looks like its on the south side of the pier. Side note: Apparenty John is taking these pictures after everyone leaves, that way he doesn't get in trouble. But, hell anyone can see what this is from afar! This attraction should be a major draw on the boardwalk, and a big money maker! What do you guys think? What could this be named?

Creator's Note: Man I wish there was an abilty to color wooden supports to other colors instead of default brown. Re supporting the coaster takes a while!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:45 PM by Plokoon111 »

Re: 1963: 4/25/17 'Going UP!' What is all this racket and noise?
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Haha, we got the wooden coasters with their realistic supports and I thought "I'll never have to custom support one of these ever again."   And now I want a white woodie so... yep.