Decoration; cause why not
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pirate Reef Pier 1965 Opening Day! 11-13-19 Part 4 - Mine ride interior tour

• 202 replies

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
My favorite scene is the adventurer simmering in the pot. And every pier-based park has to have a Scrambler. (It's one of the rules.) Maybe you could post a pic or two of your RCT3 version of Jungle Land so we can compare? Nice update.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
The only thing that remains JB is this video sadly. I do have a hard drive that may have pictures I backed up before the thread lost the pictures. My original park file and pictures were wiped accidentally 8 years ago from my hard drive.

In the video you can see a couple of the custom rides If you look hard enough but jungle land cant be seen.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Part 4 Night time Galore

It wouldn't be a complete trip to Pirate Reef without some lovely night shots now would it?

^ Guests wander around as the lights and sound capture a sense of excitement.

^ One of the vast dark and long corridors in the Pirate Ship Walkthrough...

^ At one point you are in the brig!

^ Out on the lower decks.

^ Ether we had too much booze or this room is crooked!

^ View from the top looking at the rest of the park.

^ The Meteor in the distance; one of the other stars in the park...

^ The Silver Bullet is even more thrilling in the dark when you hit the ghost town portion of the train ride...

^ A shot of Meteor lit up.

The final part 5 is coming next!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I enjoyed the Pirate Ship walkthrough. :)  The brig screenshot in particular. That's a lot of bars/cells for a ship; the crew must be pretty rowdy. The crooked room looks great; I always enjoy those. I like that you used simple cylinders for the canons; a real pier park would probably do the same.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
The park looks great lit up at night.

Just a heads up, the 3rd and 4th screenshot from the bottom are duplicates.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I enjoyed the Pirate Ship walkthrough. :)  The brig screenshot in particular. That's a lot of bars/cells for a ship; the crew must be pretty rowdy. The crooked room looks great; I always enjoy those. I like that you used simple cylinders for the canons; a real pier park would probably do the same.

^ Thanks JB! A lot of rowdy shipmates for sure!  ;)  That was all that could work for what I wanted in the design.

The park looks great lit up at night.

Just a heads up, the 3rd and 4th screenshot from the bottom are duplicates.

^ Thanks for spotting!

So just a heads up I have a elbow fracture and so working on things with my right arm is hard and takes longer. So please bare with me haha.

Part 5

Finally we are at the end of the update! It is time to see Jungle Land at night!

^ The outside of the pier has the ride advertised prominently on the back south side.

^ The lines were long and for a good reason!

^ Roll O Plane in action.

^ A lion makes his presence known as riders go by...

^ Why is there a penguin? Who really knows...

^ And dinosaurs?

^ A crocodile catches his next snack.

^ A Soon Slithering Snake Surprise Startles!

^ We probably shouldn't go for a swim.

^ What seems like a pitch black room changes as bright lights of a plane almost hit us!

^ And lastly, another Alligator!

Thank you for coming along for the tour in one piece! Come again.

Ride data for this season will be added in the next few days.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Pretty cool log flume! The giant gator makes me think of the animatronic found in the Shanghai Disneyland Roaring Rapids attraction.

Good stuff, I think I like the "suddenly appearing airplane" shot the best, I bet that looks cool with the propeller spinning.

In the last post you said "Final update", you just meant for this season, right?  There's more, right?   RIGHT?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Yep. When I think of jungle birds, penguins immediately come to mind. :P  I like how you use these classic (some, not so classic) dark ride stunts/gags into your creations.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Pretty cool log flume! The giant gator makes me think of the animatronic found in the Shanghai Disneyland Roaring Rapids attraction.

^ Thanks! Yeah it is similar! Also think Jungle Cruise as well; especially back in the 60's.

Good stuff, I think I like the "suddenly appearing airplane" shot the best, I bet that looks cool with the propeller spinning.

In the last post you said "Final update", you just meant for this season, right?  There's more, right?   RIGHT?

^ Yeah it is a cool effect; fans blow towards you and then the lights appear fast with a loud stinger sound effect. It will totally make you jump! Knoebel's Haunted Mansion has a effect like that with truck lights and a horn. As you know there are many years to get to!  ;)

Yep. When I think of jungle birds, penguins immediately come to mind. :P  I like how you use these classic (some, not so classic) dark ride stunts/gags into your creations.

^ Haha; some of my humor coming into light. Yeah it is fun trying to capture that feel of early 60s stunts and theming that was done very well in that time. Some of them wouldn't be well accepted these days if they were made today however.

1964 Season Round Up!

After every season the management puts out some information to help them decide on what to change or add next. A lot of it explaining popularity, maintenance, and other facts. So here is this year's report!

But first!

Jungle Land breakdown

'Explore the depths of the Amazon jungle as you and your tour guide discover the treasures and secrets that lay beyond the foliage.'

-For Family of all ages.

-Designed by Bill Tracy and Amusement Display Company and Pirate Reef Staff; along with engineering done by JpAlmite and Robert Plant (Pirate Reef Engineer)

-The attraction is a one of a kind; the water system and underwater guide system had to be created properly to allow the ride to become what it is now.

-All foliage is fake and made to withstand hurricane winds; along with the props which were bolted down and protected with a special weather seal around them.

-Originally the ride was going to be longer and go underneath Meteor but it ended up being to costly; which ended up being just a short cave portion.

-Based off of Jungle Cruise

Some reviews from a few guests:

Tyler E. Says: "I wish this was longer; I hate short rides!

Sarah Q. Says: "I loved it so much! The animals were neat and seemed real."

Phillip T says: "My kids closed their eyes during the cave scene."

Tom Y. Says: "I enjoyed the part where we were about to go through a waterfall and then it turned off at the last second."

(Post your review of Jungle Land below! V )

Season Roundup Continued

Tilt A Whirl: Added 1964 | 85% Popularity | 90% Reliability | Condition: Used  | Operator: Cody | A few wheels getting stuck, lever broke a couple of times.

Roll O Plane: Added 1964 | 90% Popularity  | 75% Reliability | Condition: Used  |  Operator: Shyguy  | Issues with the motor in the spinning circuit.

Meteor: Added 1964 | 95% Popularity  | 90% Reliability | Condition: Used  | Operator: Plokoon111 | Breaks needed some tuneups, pressure issues.

Tiny Wheel: Added 1964 | 93% Popularity | 70% Reliability | Condition: Used  | Operator: Wowmanrct |  Problems with start cycles, motor issues.

The Whip: Added 1964 | 95% Popularity | 85% Reliability | Condition: Used | Operator: JB | Chain problems at times; managable.

Pirate Ship Walkthrough: Added 1964 | 92% Popularity | 94% Reliability | Condition: Used | Operator: Vodhin | A few damages to walls, Captain animatronic not working.

Silver Bullet: Added 1964 | 88% Popularity | 90% Reliability | Condition: Used | Operator: Fisherman | A few wheels had to be repaired, track had to get replaced in a few spots from salt air

Turnpike: Added 1964 | 85% Popularity | 84% Reliability | Condition: Used | Operator: Nemmie | Circuit problems with track; fixable.

Carousel: Added 1964 | 79% Popularity | 92% Reliability | Condition: Used | Operator: Kyle | A few problems with acceleration.     

Scrambler: Added 1965 | 95% Popularity | 95% Reliability | Condition: New | Operator: Sean | No issues!

Jungle Land: Added 1965 | 98% Popularity | 95% Reliability | Condition: New | Operator: Fisherman | A few scene timing errors, few lights not working.

Boardwalk Café: Added 1965 | 99% Popularity | 95% Reliability | Condition: New | Staff: 12 | Crowd problems, overfilling trash cans and messes.

Budget Summary: Budget is decent, Jungle Land was about 600,000 dollars to construct, a few construction delays from snow storms. Engineering costs were a bit higher then normal and have reached the proposal targets. Wage per hour went up from 5$ to 5.25$ per hour.

Owner: Will Wright
Chief Engineer: Robert Plant
Jungle Land and Scrambler both were 6 tickets to ride.
No major Injury claims.

And the season ending Survey:

What was your favorite ride and why?

What ride could be improved?

What would you like Pirate Reef Pier to add in 1965?

Until next time...

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:58 AM by Plokoon111 »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1964: 10/13/19: End of season roundup
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2019, 02:39 PM »
What did I do to deserve getting stuck as operator of the Roll O Plane?  :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2019, 02:45 PM »
"What was your favorite ride and why?" The Pirate Ship walkthrough. I like dark rides, especially when they're done well; and even when they're not, it's still fun to spot the cheesiness of it. Also, I like that you can spend as much time as you want exploring a walkthrough ride.

"What ride could be improved?" Maybe the Scrambler, or the Roll-O-Plane. Some sort of (cheap) theming would go a long way to add more fun and excitement to them.

"What would you like Pirate Reef Pier to add in 1965?" Maybe a tracked dark ride; something like a Haunted Seaside Shack?

I like how you included us SGW denizens into the Season Roundup. :)  Even Vodhin made it in there! :up:

... western?

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03 PM »
What did I do to deserve getting stuck as operator of the Roll O Plane?  :P

^ The best ride ever Shyguy!  ;D :D

"What was your favorite ride and why?" The Pirate Ship walkthrough. I like dark rides, especially when they're done well; and even when they're not, it's still fun to spot the cheesiness of it. Also, I like that you can spend as much time as you want exploring a walkthrough ride.

"What ride could be improved?" Maybe the Scrambler, or the Roll-O-Plane. Some sort of (cheap) theming would go a long way to add more fun and excitement to them.

"What would you like Pirate Reef Pier to add in 1965?" Maybe a tracked dark ride; something like a Haunted Seaside Shack?

I like how you included us SGW denizens into the Season Roundup. :)  Even Vodhin made it in there! :up:

... western?

^ Hmm, haunted sea shack! I like that idea JB!

And because I can't wait for you guys to see what happens next season I decided it is time to move into fall and winter!

1965 Winter Construction Update:

It has been a quiet few months so far; not much on the radar. Stores closing, the days growing darker faster and the cold weather takes reign. But I always get a bit excited after the new year because that means I get to sneak over to Atlantic City and see a glimpse of the summer if only for a few hours or so. I decided to head down after some rumors I heard from the telephone from a few close residents nearby. I am eager to see what the fuss is about! It is time for some construction updates!

^ First things first; north of Pirate Reef Pier I spotted some fresh retention wall logs. I wonder what these are for? Maybe storage for future telephone poles possibly?

^ I also noticed some construction equipment Pirate Reef Pier south end.

^ Attention seems to be drawn behind Jungle Land. Seems interesting...

^ I saw some concrete forms laying around, looks to be the start of pier expansion..

More soon...

Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1965 Winter Construction: 10-14-19: Logs, and things
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2019, 04:32 PM »
You hired me as an engineer?  We're lucky nobody died.  Although, I did have a lot of fun working with the guy who used to sing for Led Zeppelin.  :P

Bring on the new year!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1965 Winter Construction: 10-14-19: Logs, and things
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2019, 03:43 PM »
You hired me as an engineer?  We're lucky nobody died.  Although, I did have a lot of fun working with the guy who used to sing for Led Zeppelin.  :P

Bring on the new year!

^ Haha that should be a treat jLPAlmight! I'm glad nothing collapsed that wouldn't be too good lol.

It has been a busy past few weeks down in Atlantic City Boardwalk; my friend Steve Smith has been giving me a few scoops and brand new pictures of the progress so far. He noted me about a couple of new rides expected this year for expansion and some new competition! It will be interesting to see what he means by that; but we will find out soon!

^ Concrete forms in place for the supports for the new pier expansion. Maybe a new rollercoaster?

^ A shot from my friend from above...

^ A few weeks later; the concrete was poured! The decking is ready to be placed soon...

^ Whats this in the distance?

^ Upon closer inspection it looks look another pier? Is this part of Pirate Reef's ownership? Could this be another company? Only time will tell!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile

Another couple of weeks have passed and more work is being done! Now lets get on to it...

^ A week ago the workers are making more progress with the new deck extension.

^ A worker looking at a piece of used concrete form.

^ In a weeks time they managed to finish up the whole deck; talk about fast! They mean business. Pieces of new fence arrive waiting to be installed on the sides...

^ Even though Jungle Land was just built; Pirate Reef continues to add some detail to the outside fence. Painting begins on it...

^ Some pieces of lumber arrive for the new ride perhaps?

^ A foundation lining of hard wood lays out a perimeter of a new building; a building for what purpose?  ;)

We will find out soon what Pirate Reef's plans are!

Rumor Mill:

- I heard something about a new storage building being built to house the maintenance.

- A rumor of a new amusement park pier owned by another company.

- A new large attraction for Pirate Reef.

What rumors have you guys heard?

Enjoying the transition photos between seasons, really completes the story.

And I'm going with option C of a new large attraction, again because that is what I want.  :P

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Enjoying the transition photos between seasons, really completes the story.

And I'm going with option C of a new large attraction, again because that is what I want.  :P

^ Thank you JP! I want to make it feel like real life, and to put you guys in the story more. It would be easy to just build and show but I like to create a timeline as its more interesting (hopefully.)

Work is picking up at Pirate Reef Pier and we (as in my friends down the shore.) have you covered! No word on what the new additions are going to be but from what I heard vaguely is that it is a major attraction. It was a bit windy down the beach for sure, winter is surely here and making itself known.

^ Looking at the pier; something new catches the eye..

^ Some rather tall wooden poles are standing up supported by temporary braces.

^ A couple hours later, some beams are put into place. This structure looks to be quite tall!

^ By the end of the day the workers are finished. More to be done in the upcoming weeks; it looks to be multi story...

My friend was able to talk to Robert Plant the park Manager / Engineer

Friend: Hello Mr. Plant it is nice to meet you; I got a few questions if you don't mind answering.
Robert Plant: Why hello, sure I got a few minutes.
F: I first want to congratulate you for two successful years with the park.
R: Thank you I appreciate that. Will Wright's vision has been brought to life for sure.
F: What can you tell us about additions this next summer?
R: Well lets just say it will make an impact in the park's skyline.
F: Is it a rollercoaster?
R: Something like that, if I told you everything it would be less fun right?
F: That is true. How do you guys feel about another pier being built nearby?
R: We welcome new neighbors and competition, it allows us to strive for better attractions and entertainment.
F: Thank you for your time, I wish you guys well with the new attraction construction process.
R: No problem, see you around and if I see you guys snapping photographs again I will make you the next stunt inside Jungle Land.

Well we got some bit of information. What do you guys think?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
So the nearby pier is being constructed by another company. About the new construction here: Hmm, multi-story, sort of like a rollercoaster... sounds like an elaborate, tracked, dark ride to me.

Interesting development. Looking forward to seeing what's coming next.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
So the nearby pier is being constructed by another company. About the new construction here: Hmm, multi-story, sort of like a rollercoaster... sounds like an elaborate, tracked, dark ride to me.

^ That could possibly be it JB ;)

Interesting development. Looking forward to seeing what's coming next.

^ It is worth the wait for sure!

A week later and the ants (err) I mean workers are making decent progress. They want to be able to close off the new building in less then a month from what I hear. I think they will hit that target and more; hopefully the snow stays away and it stays dry. But onwards!

^ Some materials lingering around...

^ Decking has been placed and some scaffolding has been erected to help ease the process on the façade.

^ I was sent this shot on the roof from a secret source, looks like track! We have a new rollercoaster on our hands! But this one is different, smaller and will be going inside the building for most of the ride it seems. I have heard that it is being built by Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters and is being engineered by John C. Allen. The steel track is defiantly modern...

^ The façade begins the exterior phase, I wonder what this ride is going to be called!

^ One last look in the distance, we will have some more questions answered soon I feel!

Keep posted!

Creator's Note

I am super excited to show of what took a while to do, I have been working on this ride since last year in bits.  A matter of fact I am already working on future attractions as well. People who followed the old Pirate Reef Park will know where this is heading and how terrible the RCT3 version of this ride was, I feel this game has finally done justice so what I really wanted it to look like. And obviously I had more space to work with helps haha. So Stay tuned!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Ooh, swinging mine train cars; that's interesting. That ride operator in the booth is gonna have some really boring workdays until the ride is finally open to the public. ;)

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
Plokoon! So good to see you back. I love the park, and I am very curious about the next updates :)

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Ooh, swinging mine train cars; that's interesting. That ride operator in the booth is gonna have some really boring workdays until the ride is finally open to the public. ;)

^ Haha yeah; he's keeping guard! But I wish I could get rid of the operator at times for realism.

Plokoon! So good to see you back. I love the park, and I am very curious about the next updates :)

^ Thanks Elch appreciate it! This next season will be a lot of excitement and fun so stay tuned!

This past month has seen a lot of progress. My secret in has been giving me some nice photographs. I did ask him about taking pictures of the other pier but he has been super busy. But onto the update!

^ Some more additions being framed onto the exterior, but for what though?

^ Some strange woodwork and a lot of chicken wire as well around the worksite...

^ Some façade details being added framing out the ride...

^ Finally I'll leave you a shot of a nice view from the top. Apparently the top portion of the ride will be outside. I am curious about the theme of this ride...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Quote: "I am curious about the theme of this ride..."

So am I. ;)  About the ride operator, you could always plop a piece of scenery over him to cover him up, right? The odd angled woodwork on the façade looks like it's going to be some sort of faux cliff side/rockwork. Just a guess.

I recently hid an entire operator and his controls underneath a staircase :P

But seriously, take your spooky planks and build a box around him.  Or, possibly, one of the crates from the adventure set might be big enough to encase him forever.  Killing peeps is fun.   :)

JB's guess plus the mine train cars itself suggest a mining-cave type thing...  very anxious to see what you do with it.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I recently hid an entire operator and his controls underneath a staircase :P

But seriously, take your spooky planks and build a box around him.  Or, possibly, one of the crates from the adventure set might be big enough to encase him forever.  Killing peeps is fun.   :)

JB's guess plus the mine train cars itself suggest a mining-cave type thing...  very anxious to see what you do with it.

^ Yeah I could have done that but I already took the pictures haha, I will know next time to be more creative. I mean I want the operator there but not in the dead of winter. Good guesses guys!

Quote: "I am curious about the theme of this ride..."

So am I. ;)  About the ride operator, you could always plop a piece of scenery over him to cover him up, right? The odd angled woodwork on the façade looks like it's going to be some sort of faux cliff side/rockwork. Just a guess.

^ Another great guess JB! We will find out soon! Thank you guys I love your comments and input!

Unfortunately these will be some of the last few pictures of this new ride as they are getting a bit paranoid about people documenting the interior and the ride itself; but fear not we got a good update today from my friend!

^ Some more framework on the west facing part of the ride; possibly the money shot of this attraction. I did hear that they finally turned the power on the ride and did a few test runs!

^ I love my friend Mr. Smith for taking these photographs but I feel like he is going to get hurt one of these days balancing on the track!

^ Some detail on the bottom of the ride, some good carpenters here.

^ It looks like a cliff face indeed!

^ One last shot of the front and we will call it a day...

^ BEFORE we see a new ride! Looks like a Monster amusement ride, this will be a sure hit for the summer crowds!

Next update I will head down in a month and check out the new pier north of here! Stay tuned till then!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Quote: "some good carpenters here."

Or not... depends on how you view it. Not a 90o angle to be seen. :P  Nice to see the rockwork being added. The façade is starting to take shape.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Quote: "some good carpenters here."

Or not... depends on how you view it. Not a 90o angle to be seen. :P  Nice to see the rockwork being added. The façade is starting to take shape.

^ Thanks JB! Yeah the wood had to be angled in this case  ;).

1965 Winter Construction Update

Its about time I drag myself down the shore for a off season update! My friend did a great job providing photographs but now its my turn. Its been a few months so far and I feel like we will be able to see a lot of new progress on the new ride and the new pier and boy did I get some excitement for the upcoming summer! Lets check it out shall we?

^ One this I noticed was the construction boom down Atlantic City, a lot of new motels and hotels were built on the boardwalk. I am sure the piers will be happy about that. I also noticed a lot of busy activity on the boards as well...

^ Ahh, there we are! I can see the new ride on the pier from here. I see some cactuses?

^ On the other side we get a better look. Looks like a desert colored cliff face / mountain.

^ Looks like a Mine type ride, it looks mysterious for sure! They built this pretty fast I would say! I noticed they took the Jungle line fence down...

^ Nothing interesting in the back, just some fire exits.

^ This is a big condominium for sure! Looking north as we make our descent towards the new pier, stay tuned for more.....  ;) :)

Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1965 Winter Construction: 10-29-19: Ride revealed?
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2019, 05:01 PM »
We were talking about video vs. photos to display rides; this attraction is an example where I'd love to see the video.  Compact dark rides like this are very interesting to see the layout, placement of theming, lighting, etc.  And since this is probably a fast paced coaster, that makes it all the more interesting.  But I definitely understand you have to do what works for you, and making videos is (often) a pain.

Anyway, great to see that earlier tease with the rockwork coming together now.  I love the added realism of the unthemed back of the building with the escape doors and fire exits, and it's great to see the buildings along the surrounding streets coming up.  An exciting place to own a condo, for sure!