Poll

What do you think of the new Devil Hotel Darkride?

Pirate Reef Pier 1966 Winter Construction Update: 7/2/20: Frame Work

• 234 replies

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I like the views of the Toboggan, even though it isn't functional (I think you said that?). Was the interior shot taken horizontally? If I remember correctly, you said that PC doesn't have a vertical lift. Oh wait, the track going up the middle might not be an actual lift, just a section of vertical track? I think I confused everybody now. :-\  And today's secret word is "wackey". Hmm, I think the last secret word was 'western'. Not long after that we got to see the western-themed Mine Ride. Maybe we'll be seeing some sort of Wackey Shack soon?? Just guessing.

^ Thanks JB! It isn't functional sadly, maybe some day? The vertical part is correct but no chain lift. Hmmm....

You went all out and built that slide the hard way; I always cheat and go with those curvy roof pieces.  Your way is better, especially since those roof pieces will probably never be recolorable.  :(

The zipper looks great against it's backdrop.  And now I have to go research toboggan rides because I think I have a park that needs one :P

^ Thanks! It took a while but it is worth it to see the final result! Totally check them out, there is maybe 2 left in the country? One I did get to ride on at Trimpers Rides at Ocean City MD, they retired it sadly in 2007. But it was one of my first big boy coasters.

1966 Winter Construction Update: It has been awhile since I came down Atlantic City to see my favorite place. I also couldn't wait to see what they decide to build in Pirate Reef and Seaside Pier. I hear of pretty big plans! Enough chat and lets see for ourselves!

^ Pulling up I first noticed in the nearby parking lot some activity, it looks like some letters for something?

^ And now we see what they are actually doing; it looks like they are adding some front signage!

^ After a couple of hours, the finished result.

^ It also looks like some new expansion as well! I wonder what they will be adding this year? A pool? Rollercoaster?

We shall see.  ;)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
OOooooo.  I LOVE that entrance!!!!   :o

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
OOooooo.  I LOVE that entrance!!!!   :o

^ It looks a bit more official now I would say,  :) Its also nice to see you fisherman!

1966 Winter Construction Update: The new ride...

It has been a few weeks since they started adding the addition to the pier's north eastern side. A tip lead me to some news on the beginning progress on a new ride for this upcoming season. I was a bit clueless on what this ride would be, maybe another rollercoaster? We would have to wait to see what gets built. I drove on down and starting taking a few pictures of the ongoing progress. I happened to also notice Seaside Pier was also experiencing a tiny bit of a growth spurt as well. The ongoing pier competition is quite intriguing to say the least...

^ A very large crane lifted a trailer; the contents of this trailer are unknown. Most likely the new attraction. The operator slowly but carefully guides the crate onto the recently built deck...

^ My friend who works in the crew sent me this picture from on top of the Mine Ride, you can see the new space for the management to mess with this year.

^ One last picture from my friend shows a ride car! Looks to be some type of guided rail ride. What could this ride be? The owner Will Wright has some fun up his sleeves for sure....

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
1966 Winter Construction Update: New additions
It has been awhile since I headed over to the newer Seaside Pier, I know there is bound to be something new this year.

^ Fences paint the picture of a off season perfectly...

^ I do spot something new! It looks like a new ride at the end. It even hangs out on its own platform, with a tower structure rising in the middle. It defiantly catches your eye.

^ It is interesting to catch a glimpse of the maintenance sub level. This is where they keep their construction vehicles and such...

^ I did notice some ruckus going on out in the north side of the pier, looks to be construction, but for what?

^ Getting a closer look, looks like a building of some sort under the slide?

^ I wanted to get a closer glimpse, but the security guards weren't too pleased! Something secretive for sure!

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Hey! Long time SGW lurker here. Happy to have an account now. Amazing job Plokoon, I really dig your building style and dedication.  Maybe another walkthrough darkride is being added, or another Bill Tracy dark ride? I guess well have to wait and see. Pirate Reef Pier feels eerily similar to a place on the Jersey Shore in the 60s  ;)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
So exciting!  And how neat they hired twins on their security team!   ;)

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
This is a pretty cool project! I love the story approach to your posts, and the look of the pier is definitely something that I have always liked. Awesome job!

Nice to see this again.  I really like the weenie-ness (it's a word) of that ticket booth!

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Hey! Long time SGW lurker here. Happy to have an account now. Amazing job Plokoon, I really dig your building style and dedication.  Maybe another walkthrough darkride is being added, or another Bill Tracy dark ride? I guess well have to wait and see. Pirate Reef Pier feels eerily similar to a place on the Jersey Shore in the 60s  ;)

^ Thanks jlac55! Your thoughts seem to be in the right direction for sure haha. I take a lot of inspiration from the boardwalks along Jersey and MD / DE. And of course some of my own ideas. I guess we will wait and see what they have up their sleeves!

So exciting!  And how neat they hired twins on their security team!   ;)

^ Thanks, yeah and they also seem to both like the stashes too.

This is a pretty cool project! I love the story approach to your posts, and the look of the pier is definitely something that I have always liked. Awesome job!

^ Thanks! I appreciate it Cody!

Nice to see this again.  I really like the weenie-ness (it's a word) of that ticket booth!

^ Yeah I wanted a fun and modern vibe to the ticket booth and it seems I have realized that quality. Thank you JP!

1966 Winter Construction Update New ride comes along!

After a month of studies and work related matters I had to escape that reality and check up on how the rides are coming along down the Atlantic City Boardwalk. I have heard that there are some updates to show; I have to at least make the ride worth it of course. The weather was cool and the temps were in the 30s but I couldn't help but feel the warm vibes of summer calling my name. I always loved the mystique of winter, but the fun and exciting summer is where I like to be. I made it out of my car and could smell the dry salt air as I peered at Pirate Reef Pier, I was bundled up quite well since the ocean breeze was pretty strong. I met up with a unnamed worker (I don't want to disclose his name to keep him safe from his management.) He told me today would be a good day to show off the new ride and how its coming along. He tells me they should be finished putting it together...

^ It looks like one of those pretzel darkrides! Very small, and portable. Ones you would see traveling in those carnivals.

^ It looks like it has quite a simple zig zagged layout.

^ Put together in simple metal sheets and a thin metal roof. The ride doesn't take up much space; probably why Will Wright bought the ride.

^ Finally as the day waned down, the ride looks complete. Looks like this darkride is called Devil Hotel; depicts scenes of hell and such. Very flashy. I will say it is disappointing they didn't make an in house built attraction, and just bought a cheap ride. What do you guys think?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I voted "It will be decent." Not really something you'd feel the need to write home about, but good for a year or two till it loses it's newness. The non-varying serpentine track seems kinda boring at first, but darkrides like this need a lot of turn-arounds to suddenly reveal the next scary/creepy thing. Such as:  :mc2: :1eye: :alien: :devil:.

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I voted "It will be decent." Not really something you'd feel the need to write home about, but good for a year or two till it loses it's newness. The non-varying serpentine track seems kinda boring at first, but darkrides like this need a lot of turn-arounds to suddenly reveal the next scary/creepy thing. Such as:  :mc2: :1eye: :alien: :devil:.

^ Yeah, that really is the key. Fast and quick zig zags with stunts at the ends. Pretty typical fair darkride affair (get it?) Thanks JB!

1966 Winter Construction Update: More Progress...

Slowly but surely progress is moving along for one of Seaside Pier's newest attractions which sits neatly under Rip Tide the slide. As you can see use of space on a pier needs to be creatively handled. The past weekend the weather was actually not too cold so a lot of work was beginning to get done. Lets see what they have gotten done shall we?

^ One guy was cutting some pieces to bring over to the rest of the crew...

^ Looking towards the rest of the pier...

^ Not the best of views, but you can see some more framework and walls going up.

^ Another closer view...

What is this mystery attraction?
Time will tell! ;)

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Hmm, looks to be a new dark ride. Looks to be a walkthrough, judging by the railing beneath the slide. I cant wait to see it complete!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I like the table saw with the planks strewn about. The new attraction is going to be a Hell-themed darkride with devils and demons and... oh wait.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
I absolutely LOVE the way you reveal each update...like real construction going on.   :)

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Hmm, looks to be a new dark ride. Looks to be a walkthrough, judging by the railing beneath the slide. I cant wait to see it complete!

^ Thanks jlac55! It could be. ;)

I like the table saw with the planks strewn about. The new attraction is going to be a Hell-themed darkride with devils and demons and... oh wait.

^ Thank you JB I always appreciate your posts! Hmm, wouldn't that be ironic considered the other pier has that theme, some competition?

I absolutely LOVE the way you reveal each update...like real construction going on.   :)

^ Thank you Fisherman, I am glad you are enjoying that format. It is fun for me because I love keeping up with highrise construction, ect. It is tedious with Planet Coaster, but when done right it is very rewarding!

1966 Winter Construction Update

Progress is coming along with construction. The outside contractors that Seaside hired are paying dividends; work will surely be completed in due time. I did stumble across an interesting receipt letter.

Purchase Order: 54861 Robinson Glass company --- 18 panels ordered. Arriving in March 22nd 1966.

^ Some fancy wood work is being added.

^ The checkerboard floor is a bit eccentric.

^ The interior is coming along at a slower pace...

^ And lastly some paint work being done. I wouldn't be surprised if Seaside Pier puts some Advertisements on it. (hmmm.... ;) )

That is it for today! Tune in for more ongoings.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
OH yeah!!  Funhouses are awesome!!

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
OH yeah!!  Funhouses are awesome!!

^ Totally! They are a lot of fun to make Fisherman, hopefully I don't let you down. ;)

1966 Winter Construction Update: Painting Party

It has been a while since I posted some progress over in Pirate Reef Pier. Not much has been added, but upon closer inspection there are a lot of small details you will notice! Lets see how they are getting ready for the season!

^ Looking south...

^ Even though the Pirate Ship KEN is a couple years old; the unforgiving salt air and sun can make the colors fade over time. Will Wright's hard working staff focuses on making the ride appear new every season...

^ Same can be said with the Tilt a Whirl seats. They get worn out after a while and they get moldy. These are details that get forgotten by the normal Joe. 

Creators Note:

So I wanted your guys opinion on an idea that I had. I love updating and posting on this forum, it just works well. It seems that the activity is a bit slower then it used to be. Discord is a nice place to talk and to showcase ideas, but doesn't work well with storyline / timeline parks I feel. So I thought about making a facebook page for this project while also posting here. Would anyone be interested? I feel like it would be easy to follow updates in a linear form. Any ideas?

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Loving this project! The fading paint on rides is a really cool touch. As for the Facebook thing, its probably easier to just post it on SGW. Most likely the only people that would follow the FB page are from SGW, which already see it. But if you decide to advertise the project elsewhere, its probably easier to just post to one place and advertise said place. You could make videos, which are a pain to make, but show off a project using a new medium that's enough to warrant following. Cant wait for more Pirate Reef Pier!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
I love this so much.

And honestly, you might have more luck posting updates on Twitter than Facebook.  I always include an "@PlanetCoaster" on my Tweets and sometimes they retweet and then I get dozens of likes and retweets and comments.

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Loving this project! The fading paint on rides is a really cool touch. As for the Facebook thing, its probably easier to just post it on SGW. Most likely the only people that would follow the FB page are from SGW, which already see it. But if you decide to advertise the project elsewhere, its probably easier to just post to one place and advertise said place. You could make videos, which are a pain to make, but show off a project using a new medium that's enough to warrant following. Cant wait for more Pirate Reef Pier!

^ Thank you jlac55! Appreciate your response, I have opened up a facebook page. I'll try to get into planet coaster groups and advertise. I just enjoy when others get into the story ect. Its fun, especially if there is community involvement as well.

I love this so much.

And honestly, you might have more luck posting updates on Twitter than Facebook.  I always include an "@PlanetCoaster" on my Tweets and sometimes they retweet and then I get dozens of likes and retweets and comments.

^ That is a good suggestion! I feel like facebook would be easier in a sense that it will be easy to keep track of the progress. Especially with timeline / story parks. If I was just building for the heck of it, discord and other formats would be fine. But I may look into that as well! Thanks Fisherman.

1966 Winter Construction Update: Ralph the Air Conditioner Worker

It just so happens I was aware that someone that I knew who is friends with another friend who knows some Uncle who was doing some HVAC work for Seaside Pier this past weekend. So me being the initiator, I reached out and asked him to get us some scoops while he was working. I am keeping his name secret because I don't want him to get in trouble. The security is super tight on revealing their new projects. So we will just call him Ralph!

^ Looking at the pier, looks like the new attraction is about finished!

^ The roof is slightly angled to deter water from sitting above. This attraction will be a good escape from the hot weather. Unlike the Pirate Ship which isn't cooled at all!

^ The ride is neatly built utilizing the space under the RipTide Slide, how ingenious.

^ In his shot, if you look very closely you can see Pirate Reef Pier.

^ The toboggan to the east.

^ A shot of the fun house's façade.

^ This should be a big hit for the kids!

So I have made a facebook page for this project down below: Feel free to support it! I will try to include some other pictures on there as well. I do have a link showing shyguys world forum some love as well.

https://www.facebook.com/Pirate-Reef-Pier-112792770485125/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARDDn0UXPdkSpKubMxd0_zqWz3W__KbWJEzUqiFZBz-tM0oyfX8_FzuIz7O2kRjjcC0orK5QI_jdqdU2&hc_ref=ARQ700e4a2O0sSLHdmKHZZWWiXMVU3_2p-G7uvBhbec8qT2JH5StMPluk5z6kVldb5E&fref=nf&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAcEbCeYs2LzUD6TxVBhEvWXdFINH1kIcm-08GGmZQvbdc7X3W1gDX96T-mTRM9sDLf6oEltHye1L_1kUNZIrtn0RNJaGywsqcKzrbJpRXSHJQ0BC3oG3Qp5m2Jtn5tfzuZ-SW7GzRtAAbrfQ1iVyYsjfKATivwZibLE5IKjBFQj9eLIncbCmyr2Io3L7fGblNnadsOfwZjeepBPxWH4hKWQDkp2rB28IzoVpT5rrDNphU5c8GM8K9U-_YIXnBjqX-JZk9sBpcpXglwOA1MgqRLcGYiJEg158i9VKF11-_OSLUyXwRPdNAFMrFoD7wvRJutG0lN0rHi61H_geMT1p0

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
1966 Winter Construction Update: Newer additions

The new funhouse isn't the only addition going on at Seaside Pier. I have also noticed a few new rides! The owners seem to have quite a bit of cash to spend for its 2nd season. I mean its hard trying to compete with Pirate Reef Pier. I do feel like Seaside Heights has more of the more modern rides while Pirate Reef has more original rides. I took a few pictures of the additions...

^ Ironically, Pirate Reef Pier has this same ride! Looks like a kiddie boat ride. One of the complaint last season was lack of kiddie rides on the pier, that changes...

^ It was harder to get a glimpse of this ride. You can see it behind the Toboggan. Funny enough, this was the same kiddie ferris wheel Pirate Reef Pier had a year or two ago. I will bet you that it is the same one. From what I remember there were a lot of mechanical issues with it.

^ And not to leave Pirate Reef Pier alone, they look to be building something new against the Jungle Land ride. What could this be?

That's it for today!

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
The new building looks pretty small... maybe a food stand? Also, the new funhouse looks pretty cool, was it inspired by Bill Tracy? Also, you can use the giant billboards and color them to match the sky to cover up any annoying terrain, or open the map in the scenario editor and flatten them more  :)

Offline gavt1976

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I have to say that this pier looks amazing and I like it a lot and I like the style of it as well. :)

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
The new building looks pretty small... maybe a food stand? Also, the new funhouse looks pretty cool, was it inspired by Bill Tracy? Also, you can use the giant billboards and color them to match the sky to cover up any annoying terrain, or open the map in the scenario editor and flatten them more  :)

^ Thanks! It looks like they are trying to mock it! Also I like that suggestion, I may have to mess around with that jlac55!

I have to say that this pier looks amazing and I like it a lot and I like the style of it as well. :)

^ Hello gavt1976! Nice to see that you are still around! How are you doing? And thanks!

1966 Winter Construction Update: Framework

Just a quick drive by update showing off some more progress on the new mystery structure on Pirate Reef Pier. Not much, but something I would say. It could be a new food option, too small to be a ride. Or could it be?

^ Or maybe it has something to do with Jungle Land? Hmmm...

Stay tuned, as always thanks for the support everyone!

Offline gavt1976

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I am doing fine my good friend, just been busy with real life and that, but I am still good.