Poll

What do you think of the new Devil Hotel Darkride?

Pirate Reef Pier 1967 Opening Day: 8/5/20: Pirate Reef Pier Part 7: Final!

• 275 replies
Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1966 Opening Day: 7/8/20: Part 1
« Reply #240 on: July 08, 2020, 03:06 PM »
Looks fun!!!

Seriously, love all the details and the history you cram into each update!

Meant to mention earlier, love your Toboggan ride! Used to ride the one they had on the pier at Seaside Heights. There is still a working one in Altoona PA where the Leap the Dips coaster is located. I think it's Lakemont Park, but I don't remember.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 08, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Hey, no fair! You ended the update just as we were queuing up for Fun Street. :P  I wanna see what's inside!... Oh, okayyy... I guess we'll just have to wait till "next time". :mad:up:  (you teaser, you.)

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 08, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Love those evening shots of the pier  :love: :love: :love: Oceans always look beautiful during the evening. Also, i'm excited to see the inside of the fun house. I don't think I've seen anyone else make walk-though dark rides :) P.S. Can we maybe get one or two shots of the boardwalk itself sometime?  :up: :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2020, 09:12 AM »
OMG how exciting!  Everything looks so fun.  I don't know what to go on first!!   :o

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Looks fun!!!

Seriously, love all the details and the history you cram into each update!

Meant to mention earlier, love your Toboggan ride! Used to ride the one they had on the pier at Seaside Heights. There is still a working one in Altoona PA where the Leap the Dips coaster is located. I think it's Lakemont Park, but I don't remember.

^ Thanks Citytrader! Glad you are enjoying it! Trimpers Rides in Ocean City MD had a toboggan that they sadly retired in 2007, it was my first pretty high coaster that I went on. Very rough and bumpy, my dad didn't appreciate that part haha. Its a perfect ride for tight areas!

Hey, no fair! You ended the update just as we were queuing up for Fun Street. :P  I wanna see what's inside!... Oh, okayyy... I guess we'll just have to wait till "next time". :mad:up:  (you teaser, you.)

^ You have to have teasers, they work so well JB haha.

Love those evening shots of the pier  :love: :love: :love: Oceans always look beautiful during the evening. Also, i'm excited to see the inside of the fun house. I don't think I've seen anyone else make walk-though dark rides :) P.S. Can we maybe get one or two shots of the boardwalk itself sometime?  :up: :up:

^ Thank you jlac55, I have another walkthrough on the other pier: the Pirate Ship if you look in the beginnings of this page. I will be sure to incorporate some boardwalk shots for you!

OMG how exciting!  Everything looks so fun.  I don't know what to go on first!!   :o

^ Thanks Fisherman!

Seaside Pier 1966 Opening day PART 2

When we last left off, we were about to check out Seaside Pier's newest attraction this year: Fun Street. It is cleverly built under the slide's structure. It wasn't too expensive from what I hear and it was all done in house! Lets go check it out for ourselves, shall we?

^ An abstract hall awaits us...

^ But first, lets not get too lost in this maze!

^ After a Candy Cane Diorama; we have a fun element to check out. A spinning disk that dares you to hang onto the middle. If you feel to shy you can sit on the bleachers off to the side. Some circus music plays through the speakers adding to the strange experience; like why is there a cop car...

^ It looks like we have entered Fun Street...

^ And now into Fun Alley, usually we avoid those areas but in here everything is opposite!

^ The mirror room adds some abstraction...

^ Some moving disks present one of the many obstacles to encounter in here...

^ The crowds were enjoying this part where you walk on top of rollers...

^ A fun snake strangles a poor victim...

^ And lastly we see a man get hosed by a leaking fire hydrant for the last act before exiting!

The ride is about 5 minutes look depending on how long you stay at certain sections. It costs about 5 tickets to get in it. This was a bit different compared to the Pirate Ship walkthrough, it was more random but there were more obstacles to encounter. I would say it is a nice fun addition for all ages.

What are your reviews? Would you recommend families to check it out?

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Fun Street is a-MAZE-ing!  (see what I did there?)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Some classic funhouse obstacles here: the mirror maze, the 'human roulette wheel' the smaller spinning disks in the floor, the rollers... pretty much everything you would want in a funhouse attraction. (A 'crooked room' would also be right at home here.) I would definitely recommend that families give Fun Street a try. I'm sure they'll come back again and again.

Offline Supernovae

• Celebrating creating
    • View Profile
    • Supernovae Productions
Wow Plokoon, I would have totaly missed this if not restarting building on this very nice Pier park.
Love your creations! Took a wile to scroll through all pages but this is realy stunning.  :o
On paper we have the best team of the world! It's a pitty we don't play on paper...

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Fun Street is a-MAZE-ing!  (see what I did there?)

^ Haha, thank you that totally got a laugh out of me.

Some classic funhouse obstacles here: the mirror maze, the 'human roulette wheel' the smaller spinning disks in the floor, the rollers... pretty much everything you would want in a funhouse attraction. (A 'crooked room' would also be right at home here.) I would definitely recommend that families give Fun Street a try. I'm sure they'll come back again and again.

^ Thank you! A good report from you as always! Its a treat to read your comments JB!

Wow Plokoon, I would have totaly missed this if not restarting building on this very nice Pier park.
Love your creations! Took a wile to scroll through all pages but this is realy stunning.  :o

^ Welcome Supernovae! Glad you are enjoying this! It means a lot that you think its stunning! Stick around.  ;)

Seaside Pier 1966 Opening Day PART 3

We have reached the end of the trip report for Seaside Pier, and now we get to venture into a couple of the newer rides in the back! Lets see what the hype is all about!

^ The Kiddie Wheel is a new attraction that I believe was bought from Pirate Reef Pier. It sits neatly in front of The Toboggan! It adds another kiddie ride to the selection which was a complaint from last year on this pier...

^ The Bumper cars are a big hit as usual...

^ A few of the newer additions as seen above. Flight is a thrill ride that spins you in a loop!

^ WhirlPool is the other popular new attraction! A ride that spins you around in fast speeds!

^ And lastly here is a park map!

Seaside Pier Co. wants to hear from you the valued patrons that we have the pleasure of entertaining! We are always looking to improve our pier with the latest and greatest available! Please fill out this questionnaire and help us get better!

What ride did you enjoy the most?

What ride could have been better?

What would you like to see in the future in our park? 

Next we head to good ol' Pirate Reef Pier!

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
As always very nice job, im interested on how the pier(s) will continue to develop :) :)

Although Fun Street is more of a "kids" attraction, I found it the most enjoyable.

The Toboggan isn't a bad ride, its just very, very, painful  ;) ;)

Maybe another dark ride? They're always a hit with patrons and they don't take up much space, but then again, im totally biased :)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
"What ride did you enjoy the most?"- Fun Street. Walk-through funhouses always appeal to me. I think it's because of the interaction.

"What ride could have been better?"- Boat Race. Yeah, I know it's just a kiddie ride, but maybe it would be more memorable if you hung a few fishing nets and glass floats (or something; maybe some colorful fish) around the perimeter.

"What would you like to see in the future in our park?"- I really liked seeing the WhirlPool/Caterpillar ride. Old-timey rides are rare... and fun! Maybe another vintage ride would be nice. Or maybe a tracked dark ride (like they have on that other pier down the shore. ;)) Maybe space themed, like- "Space Caves".

I like the disclaimer at the bottom of the park map. To paraphrase: "Don't blame us if you spew your lunch from one end of the pier to the other."

EDIT: Looks like jlac55 and me are sorta on the same page. ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:10 PM by JB »

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
As always very nice job, im interested on how the pier(s) will continue to develop :) :)

Although Fun Street is more of a "kids" attraction, I found it the most enjoyable.

The Toboggan isn't a bad ride, its just very, very, painful  ;) ;)

Maybe another dark ride? They're always a hit with patrons and they don't take up much space, but then again, im totally biased :)

^ Thanks for your survey! This will be super helpful!

"What ride did you enjoy the most?"- Fun Street. Walk-through funhouses always appeal to me. I think it's because of the interaction.

"What ride could have been better?"- Boat Race. Yeah, I know it's just a kiddie ride, but maybe it would be more memorable if you hung a few fishing nets and glass floats (or something; maybe some colorful fish) around the perimeter.

"What would you like to see in the future in our park?"- I really liked seeing the WhirlPool/Caterpillar ride. Old-timey rides are rare... and fun! Maybe another vintage ride would be nice. Or maybe a tracked dark ride (like they have on that other pier down the shore. ;)) Maybe space themed, like- "Space Caves".

I like the disclaimer at the bottom of the park map. To paraphrase: "Don't blame us if you spew your lunch from one end of the pier to the other."

EDIT: Looks like jlac55 and me are sorta on the same page. ;)

^ Thanks JB! You guys rock!

1967 Pirate Reef Opening Day

It is now time to check out the new additions over at Pirate Reef Pier! I always look forward to seeing what new rides they bring each year. I know for sure they won't disappoint! This year they have their most new additions yet! Lets see for ourselves?

^ Looking beyond...

^ The boardwalk is busy as usual!

^ The Pirate Ship Walkthrough in the distance, we are close!!

^ The entrance looks far more grander then before!

^ The Epicenter of fun!

^ A couple of the new additions can be seen. Pirate Reef Pier has a Kiddie Boat Race as well!

^ This year the Owner got rid of the smaller Whip ride and replaced it with a bigger version. The ride has been a popular one, the other one had a lot of mechanical issues, and this one holds more riders...

^ A lot of rides were moved around quite a bit, this is a new Car ride in front of the Pirate Ship. The name escapes me at the moment but it looks like a lot of fun! Not to be confused with TurnPike, aka Underpass by the Meteor.

^ I leave you with a picture of the entrance to the Pirate Ship Fun house, the pride of the pier...

Part 2 coming soon!

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Thanks for a shot of the boardwalk  :) :) The Pirate Ship walk through is probably the one of most impressive things I've seen in the game yet! Everything from the realistic building process, outside, and especially the fully detailed inside! Plus the shaping of the skull, ship, rock work, and scale are spot on!  :love: :love: Sorry, just had to go on a mini-rant and say it  :) :) :) Cant wait for the next update!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I love seeing the masts and sails of the Pirate Ship off in the distance. It builds excitement, almost as much as seeing tall roller coaster hills from far away.

this looks great

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
This is so exciting...everything looks so fun!!!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Thanks for a shot of the boardwalk  :) :) The Pirate Ship walk through is probably the one of most impressive things I've seen in the game yet! Everything from the realistic building process, outside, and especially the fully detailed inside! Plus the shaping of the skull, ship, rock work, and scale are spot on!  :love: :love: Sorry, just had to go on a mini-rant and say it  :) :) :) Cant wait for the next update!

Thank you jlac55 so much! I am super proud with how the Pirate Ship turned out, I wasn't sure if it was going to work until I put the pieces together! Luckily it did haha. A lot better then the RCT3 version for sure! Usually remakes never live up to the original. ;)

I love seeing the masts and sails of the Pirate Ship off in the distance. It builds excitement, almost as much as seeing tall roller coaster hills from far away.

^ Thanks JB, I feel the same. The sense of building up the excitement and the dreams that are about to take flight.

this looks great

^Thank you wowmanrct!

This is so exciting...everything looks so fun!!!

^ Thank you Fisherman!

1967 Pirate Reef Opening Day: Part 2

We first take a trip inside the Pirate Ship Walkthrough which is now a new tradition to do every summer! It gets better and better with each trip inside!

^ It is quite dark inside. The brilliance of Bill Tracy's artwork linger in the Ship's dark hallways...

^ A Pirate waits quietly as storm sounds play through the speakers...

^ Another one of Ship's inmates...

^ This hall gives the illusion of being drunk from the Pirates Rum, or is it actually real?

^ A quick trip outside the front into the daylight and the fun all below us!

^ A view of the Pier, and all the excitement lingering...

^ The Swatter is one of the newer rides on the pier...

^ Pirate Reef Pier holds a unique train ride called The Silver Bullet that goes around and under the wooden coaster The Meteor. It looks like it has just opened!

More soon....

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I always liked how, on real-world 'haunted ship' rides, you got to go outside on the upper deck and look around all you want before continuing on with the interior of the ship; as seen here in your pics.

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
The inside of the ship looks fantastic as expected  :love: Wasn't the Silver Bullet there from the beginning? All the praise for this project is totally deserved, great job   :up: :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Wow.  I want to go in the Pirate Ship so much.  It's brilliantly done.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I always liked how, on real-world 'haunted ship' rides, you got to go outside on the upper deck and look around all you want before continuing on with the interior of the ship; as seen here in your pics.

^ Thanks JB! Traditional walk throughs and ride throughs always seemed to have that brief moment of piece of going out over a balcony of some sort. It is a nice break period to sort of relax before the 2nd part of a ride.

The inside of the ship looks fantastic as expected  :love: Wasn't the Silver Bullet there from the beginning? All the praise for this project is totally deserved, great job   :up: :up:

Thanks jlac55! The Silver Bullet was one of the first rides in the park!

Wow.  I want to go in the Pirate Ship so much.  It's brilliantly done.

^ Thanks Fisherman!

1967 Pirate Reef Opening Day: Part 3

We continue our journey deeper into the pier's biggest and thrill filled attraction the good ol Meteor wooden coaster. A ride that packs many punches in a tight space on the south side of the pier. The pier made good use of space by intertwining Silver Bullet and Turnpike underneath the monster rollercoaster.

^ The blue water tower is a new addition as part of the scenery along Silver Bullet's path...

^ Diners at the Boardwalk Cafe get a good view of the rides below...

^ The Monster and Roll O Plane are having respectable turnouts as usual...

^ We see the newest darkride attraction: Devil Hotel up ahead, more on that later...

^ We will check out the water ride Jungle Land in a couple of moments soon...  ;)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
I love the car ride and the giant dice under Meteor.  How very Hunt's Pier-ish!  It all looks so nice.  Can't wait to ride Meteor and Devil Hotel and Jungle Land.  Will Jungle Land be politically correct?  ha ha  ;D

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I love the car ride and the giant dice under Meteor.  How very Hunt's Pier-ish!  It all looks so nice.  Can't wait to ride Meteor and Devil Hotel and Jungle Land.  Will Jungle Land be politically correct?  ha ha  ;D

^ Thanks Fisherman! Haha, well it is 1966 so it was a different time indeed! But I don't for see any issues.

1967 Pirate Reef Pier Opening Day: 4

We being our journey to the land of the unknown, into the Jungle Land!

^ You can get a good gist of what the layout is from up here.

^ A poor stranded lady in the Crocodile infested swamps. Meteor can be seen peeking behind the caves...

^ Not everything is scary on this family fun ride, there are some wild life to see! Mine Ride can be seen next to Jungle Land in this spot.

^ Speaking of the Mine Ride, and also the Scrambler which sit in the eastern back of the pier.

^ Riders on the Mine Ride experience outdoor desert exploration before..

^ Venturing the unknown mines in the mountain.

^ What treasures lie inside this combination darkride rollercoaster, you will have to ride to find out!

More soon!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
OMG.  Mine Ride is so perfect.  I'm so glad you made that.  Wow!

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
The Mine Ride looks awesome!  :up:

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
OMG.  Mine Ride is so perfect.  I'm so glad you made that.  Wow!

^ Thank you Fisherman! It took months to make! Very proud of it for sure.

The Mine Ride looks awesome!  :up:

^ Thank you jlac55! Appreciate your support as always!  :up:

1967 Pirate Reef Pier Opening Day: 5

In our next stop, we get to see what the new mysterious building hides!

^ Why it is Pirate Reef's newest Shooting Gallery! A sure fire hit for families of all ages! And state of the art too I may add.

^ With targets that activate the animatronics in the scene.

^ Will you choose to help the Robber or the Old Town Sheriff? Choice is yours.

^ And right to it's left is the new Devil Hotel darkride!

^ The line is growing, it will be a long wait. We will find out what lies inside soon!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
LOVE the shooting gallery! (hey, was my guess right, or what! ;)) These "hit-the-targets-and-trigger-the-animatronics" shooting galleries are great... and addictive; you wanna hit all the targets to see the animations and hear the sounds they make. And it's right next door to the Devil Hotel... lots of fun things to do at this end of the pier.

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
The shooting gallery looks really cool! Is it just me or does it seem bigger on the inside? ??? Also, nice use of the billboards on the Devil Hotel  :) :) Will the park be up for download or on the workshop once its complete or to a point that its filled in enough? Very nice job Plokoon.  :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
OMG I can't wait to ride Devil Hotel!!!!  I love the shooting gallery.  Brilliant targets!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
LOVE the shooting gallery! (hey, was my guess right, or what! ;)) These "hit-the-targets-and-trigger-the-animatronics" shooting galleries are great... and addictive; you wanna hit all the targets to see the animations and hear the sounds they make. And it's right next door to the Devil Hotel... lots of fun things to do at this end of the pier.

^ Thanks JB! That was a great guess actually haha! I was just at one on my vacation in Ocean City MD.

The shooting gallery looks really cool! Is it just me or does it seem bigger on the inside? ??? Also, nice use of the billboards on the Devil Hotel  :) :) Will the park be up for download or on the workshop once its complete or to a point that its filled in enough? Very nice job Plokoon.  :up:

^ Thanks! I seem to have the knack for making buildings and rides seem bigger then they appear on the outside haha! Success again. I'm not quite sure if this will be up for download, maybe man.

OMG I can't wait to ride Devil Hotel!!!!  I love the shooting gallery.  Brilliant targets!

^ Thanks Fisherman!

I was on vacation this past week, hence the lack of updates. I had some much needed rest in Ocean City Maryland; and rest assured that I was very inspired as I usually am when I visit there. Played some mini gold with family, along with their historic and wonderful boardwalk. But now its good to be back home.

1967 Pirate Reef Pier Opening Day Park 6

Today's update is all about the new darkride Devil's Hotel! Be sure to stay seated and keep your hands off of the paper Mache props.

^ Close up you can see the details on the metal façade. Lets Ride!

^ A demented Witch lights up. Protected by chicken wire, to keep it safe.

^ A lot of Glo painted Spiders on the walls.

^ Hmm, was this a headless man or did someone take his head?

^ I see what is going on here...

^ Around another corner a three headed monster and a crow appear with a sound of a quick siren...

^ A lot of painted murals decorate the dark halls...

^ We seem to have ended up in a cemetery...

^ In this corner a coffin opens up along with a reaching mummy...

^ And we thought we were done right? Until a angry gorilla makes a scene, and we finally exit...

============================================================

Final Verdict

Devil's Hotel was an interesting attraction. It felt very random and dark at times. I thought I would see some devils or something but it seemed to be filled with Greatest Hits of movie monsters. It is also a quick and short ride filled with zig zags. I will say they have a lot of stunts for such a small ride!

What do you guys think?