Poll

What do you think of the new Devil Hotel Darkride?

Pirate Reef Pier 1968 Winter Construction Update: 10/13/20: Station Building

• 291 replies

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I like the randomness of the scenes. A gorilla? Really? :P. But the gorilla is a perfect example of a long tradition: the exterior façades, and names, of these types of rides rarely have anything to do with what one sees on the insides. Sometimes the gags are few and far between (and lame), but hey, you've already paid your money, so... you get whatever they give you. No shortage of scenes here though; we get our money's worth. And lame-looking gags are a large part of the fun; this ain't Disney's Haunted Mansion, after all.

Seems like some of the scenes could use a little dramatic, garish lighting though; like the witch and gorilla. Maybe they already have triggered lights and we just aren't seeing it lit up here? Devil's Hotel is a worthy addition to Pirate Reef Pier; it fits right in.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
ha ha! I LOVE it!!  You are so creative with the props!!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I like the randomness of the scenes. A gorilla? Really? :P. But the gorilla is a perfect example of a long tradition: the exterior façades, and names, of these types of rides rarely have anything to do with what one sees on the insides. Sometimes the gags are few and far between (and lame), but hey, you've already paid your money, so... you get whatever they give you. No shortage of scenes here though; we get our money's worth. And lame-looking gags are a large part of the fun; this ain't Disney's Haunted Mansion, after all.

Seems like some of the scenes could use a little dramatic, garish lighting though; like the witch and gorilla. Maybe they already have triggered lights and we just aren't seeing it lit up here? Devil's Hotel is a worthy addition to Pirate Reef Pier; it fits right in.

^ Thank you JB! Yeah you hit the mark with that paragraph; I mean just the randomness of the inside and how it ends up never relating to the illustrations of the façade haha. Yeah there are triggered lights, I just wasn't able to get them at the time.

ha ha! I LOVE it!!  You are so creative with the props!!

^ Thank you Fisherman!  :D

1967 Pirate Reef Pier Opening Day: Part 7 FINAL

We have finally gotten to our last batch of photographs from the opening day!

^ Looking West at the front of the pier, buzzing and filled with dancing lights...

^ Jungle Land looks to be as popular at night compared to earlier in the day light.

^ The Shooting Gallery is even more impressive at night!

^ Some more night action going on...

^ The Life Guard Tower lit up...

^ One last shot of the bright Pirate Reef Pier Sign in all its glory...

^ Another look at the pier before we leave...

^ I just couldn't resist another far away shot of Seaside Pier...

That is it for this update! Thank you all for tuning in for this Summer Season! Onto the next season!

Pirate Reef Pier Statistics:
Popularity - Reliability - Tickets
Meteor: 92% 85% 8   (Breaks act up. Few rotted planks)
Pirate Ship: 85% 98% 5 (A few Pirate Stunts aren't working)
Mine Ride: 95% 92% 8 (A few off triggering lights)
Jungle Land: 85% 86% 5 (Water mold, paint fading due to moisture) 
The Whip: 98% 92% 5 (None, New)
Turn Pike: 84% 98% 4 (None, New)
Under Pass: 90% 75% 5 (Few wheels need replacing)
Silver Bullet: 88% 90% 5 (Seat Cushion rips in train carts)
Shooting Gallery: 99% 98% 50 cents (Trigger malfunctions, rare)
Devils Hotel: 78% 83% 6 (Stunts aren't triggering, Witch hand broke off)
Tilt a Whirl: 85% 93% 5 (Motor issues, rare.)
Carousel: 89% 85% 4 (Rotor needs servicing)
Kiddie Boat Race: 84% 95% 3 (None, New)
Monster: 93% 74% 5 (Arm issues, speed problems.)
Roll O Plane: 85% 62% 6 (Motor issues)
Sky Diver: 86% 82% 6 (Joint beams need to be oiled)
Scrambler: 82% 85% 5 (Arm connectors need to be replaced.)

Survey:

What were your favorite Pirate Reef Pier Rides?

What could be improved?

What would you like to see added in the future?

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
First off, the Devils Hotel looks really nice  :up: The night shots look great, the pier is well lit and the lighting isn't too harsh, which is difficult to do in Planco. As for the survey...

My favorite ride is the Pirate Ship

I think the pier looks very nice, but I'd like it more if the pier was moved up to cover the path edges, however based on other people's comments on these types of pier projects, it seems pretty 50/50 with the feet clipping

One thing I'd love to see on one of the piers is either a wild mouse or Pinfari coaster

Looks great!  :up: :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Oh wow...it's just GORGEOUS at night!!!   :o

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I agree; the shooting gallery looks great at night, all lit up.

What were your favorite Pirate Reef Pier Rides?- I'll have to go with the Pirate Ship as well. I've been on a version of this attraction, so it holds a nostalgic spot for me. Plus it's well done. :)  I also like Fun Street at the other pier. (At least I think it's at the other pier, I sometmes get the two parks mixed up. :n00b:) Close second: Meteor. I really like wooden coasters, and they're an iconic part of any seaside pier park.

What could be improved?-  Pirate Reef Pier has more going for it than Seaside Pier, IMO. I don't think anything needs to be changed here. :)

What would you like to see added in the future?- (see above.)

Quote: "Devils Hotel:...Witch hand broke off"  Haha. Reminds me of the tale of Elmer McCurdy. Being a darkride enthusiast, you're probably already aware of his strange story. If not, here's the Wikipedia link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_McCurdy

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
First off, the Devils Hotel looks really nice  :up: The night shots look great, the pier is well lit and the lighting isn't too harsh, which is difficult to do in Planco. As for the survey...

My favorite ride is the Pirate Ship

I think the pier looks very nice, but I'd like it more if the pier was moved up to cover the path edges, however based on other people's comments on these types of pier projects, it seems pretty 50/50 with the feet clipping

One thing I'd love to see on one of the piers is either a wild mouse or Pinfari coaster

Looks great!  :up: :up:

^ Thank you Jlac55! I have loved how the lighting has turned out honestly. Yeah the edges are annoying, but like you said, the feet start clipping at some point. Its one of those annoying things. Those are some good suggestions! Very Pier friendly I may add! Thank you man!

Oh wow...it's just GORGEOUS at night!!!   :o

^ Thank you Fisherman!

I agree; the shooting gallery looks great at night, all lit up.

What were your favorite Pirate Reef Pier Rides?- I'll have to go with the Pirate Ship as well. I've been on a version of this attraction, so it holds a nostalgic spot for me. Plus it's well done. :)  I also like Fun Street at the other pier. (At least I think it's at the other pier, I sometmes get the two parks mixed up. :n00b:) Close second: Meteor. I really like wooden coasters, and they're an iconic part of any seaside pier park.

What could be improved?-  Pirate Reef Pier has more going for it than Seaside Pier, IMO. I don't think anything needs to be changed here. :)

What would you like to see added in the future?- (see above.)

Quote: "Devils Hotel:...Witch hand broke off"  Haha. Reminds me of the tale of Elmer McCurdy. Being a darkride enthusiast, you're probably already aware of his strange story. If not, here's the Wikipedia link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_McCurdy

^ Thanks JB! Great suggestions and I love your eye in noticing details! I have heard of that story, its a bit fascinating really!

1968 Winter Construction Update Offseason Blues

Hello guys its been quite a while but after the fun and enjoyable summer down Atlantic City it was time to face reality in terms of the cool fall air and the closing of the vibrant summer activities. But one thing that does excite me is what gets built in the off season in the piers. The thought of a new exciting ride just makes me anticipate the next summer's offerings. So lets head down and check out some of the offseason on goings.

^ First things first, it looks like they are building a new condo! Not much, but could this be that planned proposal last winter?

^ The sign of offseason, the dreaded fence in front of Seaside Pier.

^ A few rides have been yet to be taken down, the steel frames of these rides don't fare to well in the dry salt air. They end up be transported to a off location storage building.

^ Hmm, this is different? Is this for pier additions? But Pirate Reef Pier is built on concrete pilings?

More soon!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1968 Winter Construction Update: 9/21/20: Offseason Blues
« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2020, 05:51 PM »
Hey! I thought the Rock-O-Plane was a real working ride in Planet Coaster. How'd you dismantle half of..... oh wait. I see what you did there. A little blue-sky editing. ;)  Clever. I'm still admiring the Seaside Pier sign and ticket booth. :up:

« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2020, 06:36 PM »
I totally would not have caught that sky edit if JB hadn't mentioned it.  I'll now be hiring you for all my photoshop needs  :D

I'm guessing the logs are for a new ride attraction of some sort, but I will hold off on guessing until there are more clues.  Like, in my case the actual ride sign telling me what it is :P

« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2020, 06:53 AM »
I totally would not have caught that sky edit if JB hadn't mentioned it.  I'll now be hiring you for all my photoshop needs  :D

I'm guessing the logs are for a new ride attraction of some sort, but I will hold off on guessing until there are more clues.  Like, in my case the actual ride sign telling me what it is :P

Agreed - nice touch. Didn't even notice it originally.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2020, 12:42 PM »
I was so fixated on the sky editing that I just now noticed the Rock-O-Plane cage sitting in the foreground. :facepalm:

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2020, 03:40 PM »
Hey! I thought the Rock-O-Plane was a real working ride in Planet Coaster. How'd you dismantle half of..... oh wait. I see what you did there. A little blue-sky editing. ;)  Clever. I'm still admiring the Seaside Pier sign and ticket booth. :up:

^ Thanks man! You guys seemed to figure it out! Yeah I do love how the sign turned out!

^ Thanks man! I do have a minor in graphic design, so it does make sense. What ride sign? I'm curious now hahaha.

^ Thanks Wow!

I was so fixated on the sky editing that I just now noticed the Rock-O-Plane cage sitting in the foreground. :facepalm:

^ Yeah haha! Its always the small details JB.

1968 Winter Construction Update More clues?

A couple more shots from today showing more material arriving to Pirate Reef Pier, along with other containers, but containing what?

^ I did notice new freshly poured concrete footers, but these are different from usual pier expansion pillars...

^ Some more footers were poured down on the west side of the pier. Looks like a building is being built here?

That is it today! Tune in as the situation unravels!

Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1968 Winter Construction Update: 9/24/20: More clues?
« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Love your attention to detail!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2020, 06:25 AM »
It's ALWAYS exciting to see construction going on at Pirate Reef Pier!!!   :w00t:

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 27, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Love your attention to detail!

^ Thanks Citytrader! Appreciate it!   :)

It's ALWAYS exciting to see construction going on at Pirate Reef Pier!!!   :w00t:

^ Thanks Fisherman, I keep saying to myself: "Kyle life would be so much easier if I didn't have to stage construction scenes..."  :w00t: ;D

Atlantic City Boardwalk: 1968 Winter Construction Update Tree Destruction

I had a feeling this weekend would be active, the weather was just decent enough and the wind was a lot less. I also had a few clues that hinted me into stopping by. I mean what was the worst that could happen? Despite the city looking deserted, there was such a charm to having the boardwalk to yourself, [Sort of].

^ Quite a few containers were in the sands of the beach. What is inside? Who knows...

^ The structure we saw before hit a bit of a growth spurt. But all the noise and machinery sounds had me focused above...

^ Those giant logs were being put into good work. Large telephone pole looking supports were being placed with a crane!

^ Despite it being 11AM, quite a lot has been down today. Supports are littered all over the place. What the heck could this attraction be?

^ Some parts of Jungle Land had to be modified for supports as well.

Quite a bit of an update today! Can't wait for the finished product! Looks to be pretty huge.  :w00t:

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Hmm. With all the tall rustic supports I would have to guess that it's a log flume?

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Hmm. With all the tall rustic supports I would have to guess that it's a log flume?

^ Hmmm JB...

Atlantic City Boardwalk: 1968 Winter Construction Update Unfolding

I was finally able to come up and take some photographs of the new construction going on at Pirate Reef Pier, lets just cut to the chase...

^ Another active Saturday, more log supports were put up!

^ After a few hours, some more progress continued...

^ My last shot, some what looks to be track? It looks to be a log flume type ride! This looks to be an interesting addition, this will for sure keep people cool in the hot summer days!

Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1968 Winter Construction Update: 10/3/20: Unfolding...
« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Man, I was totally going to guess log flume but I swore to myself this park already had one.  Argg.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Reef Pier 1968 Winter Construction Update: 10/3/20: Unfolding...
« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2020, 04:17 PM »
Man, I was totally going to guess log flume but I swore to myself this park already had one.  Argg.

^ That would be the Jungle Land Ride, which is supposed to be a boat on a underwater guide rail, but the log flume track was the only ride that could work for me.

1968 Winter Construction Update: Coming Together

I have a few photograph updates to show you as the new ride comes together! Lets get to it!

^ The Structure is coming along, I have a feeling this is a station building.

^ Some freshly poured footers are marked in the sand...

^ More track pieces are being put in as we speak...

^ Up a piece go as it is delicately placed to its spot but the crane...

^ Perfect.

^ And I'll leave you with this, self explanatory...

:up:

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
That's a strange place to put the Log Flume sign, Plokoon. I would've placed it somewhere up high. The guests will have to walk around it, or climb over it. I can foresee tons of lawsuits from guests tripping over it. But hey, it's your park. :P (joking)

I like the pair of shots showing all the supports at odd angles; the backlighting adds to the appeal.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
My guess...a log flume.  Could be wrong tho'   :P

I LOVE IT!!   :D

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
That's a strange place to put the Log Flume sign, Plokoon. I would've placed it somewhere up high. The guests will have to walk around it, or climb over it. I can foresee tons of lawsuits from guests tripping over it. But hey, it's your park. :P (joking)

I like the pair of shots showing all the supports at odd angles; the backlighting adds to the appeal.

^ Haha, thanks JB! I do agree with that! I do enjoy that shot as well, thanks man!

My guess...a log flume.  Could be wrong tho'   :P

I LOVE IT!!   :D

^ Hey Fisherman! Thanks! Could be a wooden coaster. ;)

1968 Winter Construction: Station Building

Today I was able to stop by and take a few pictures. Some progress has been made on the station building for the massive Log Flume project!

^ Some pre fab truss work lay on the pier...

^ Some progress has been made so far.

^ You can just imagine the guests waiting to board the ride..

^ After a couple of hours, workers began putting up the roof.

That is all I have to report on today!