Poll

What do you think of the new Devil Hotel Darkride?

Atlantic City Boardwalk:1969 Winter Construction Update 9/17/21: Transform

• 344 replies

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Atlantic City Boardwalk:1968 Opening Day 8/9/21: Pirate Reef Pier P10
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2021, 11:45 AM »
I like that upright neon "Pirate Reef" sign; a colorful nighttime beacon for the park. And looking at the last image, it occurs to me that the Pirate Ship is such a visual draw because of its elevation atop the rockwork understructure. A real Disney-style 'weenie'.

^ Thanks JB! Yes signs are important for the advertisement aspect. Especially as you are walking down a boardwalk. Seeing lights, and signs gives a clue to what you can expect if you continue down further. And yes there is a Disney aspect to that ride indeed.

This looks soooooooo good!!

^ Thanks Fisherman!

This is looking great.
 I so fricken love the skull and hand on the Pirate Ship walk through. I've loved it since you first showed it and it looks epic lit up at night. The whole park looks lovely.

^ Thanks! I do like how that turned out. I wasn't sure if it was going to work until I kept on messing with the pieces. Thanks to the no grid solution of Planet Coaster, things like that are possible. However more time consuming as you may know Nemmie.

Opening Day Part 11 Final

As we wrap up the night on the boardwalk, we check out a last glimpse of all the fun while we walk back to the parking lot. There is always so much to take on all around.

^ Seaside Pier with it's lit up amusements. I am sure the Wild Mouse is even more thrilling at night!

^ Seaside Pier's own lit up entrance. Significant in its own way...

^ Looking into the pier as we pass by...

^ It is always sad when you leave, but you tend to always feel grateful for the fun experienced each summer trip. Crowds were bigger this year, more then ever.

Pirate Reef Run Down:

The Meteor: 95% Popularity | 8 Tickets | 30% Breakdown | Brake issues / chain lift repairs
Log Flume: 98% Popularity | 8 Tickets | 6% Breakdown | none
Pirate Ship Walkthrough: 82% Popularity | 5 Tickets | 12% breakdown | A few effects vandalized
Devil's Hotel: 35% Popularity | 5 Tickets | 65% Breakdown | Stunts not working / timing errors
Mine Ride: 90% Popularity | 6 Tickets | 8% Breakdown | Few stunts needed to be repaired
Tilt A Whirl: 85% Popularity | 5 Tickets | 32% Breakdown | Rotor issues
Cruisers: 69% Popularity | 3 Tickets | 10% Breakdown | Electric circuit issues / rust from salt air
Jungle Land: 84% Popularity | 5 Tickets | 8 % Breakdown | Boat 3 leaks / water basin repairs
The Silver Bullet: 92% Popularity | 4 Tickets | 26 % Breakdown | Cosmetic Issues / track bed worn out
Roll O Plane: 89 % Popularity | 6 Tickets | 68% Breakdown | Engine issues / Restraints failing
The Monster: 82% Popularity | 5 Tickets | 23% Breakdown | Arms showing weaknesses
Scrambler: 98% Popularity | 4 Tickets | 12% Breakdown | Rotor issues rare
Shooting Gallery: 84% Popularity | 1 dollar | Some targets aren't activating
Merry Go Round: 90% Popularity | 4 Tickets | Horses paint fading
Boat Race: 78% Popularity | 3 Tickets | Water basin leak / engine stalling at times

Season End Survey:

Which Ride / Attraction was your favorite attraction?

Which Ride / Attraction could improve?

What would you like to see in the future?

Rumor Pit
Some sources I have heard mentioned a ride leaving in the winter. I wonder which one will be biting the dust?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Quote: "Devil's Hotel: 35% Popularity"... Hmm, I guess that explains why the ol' spookhouse may be on its last legs. Probably the ride that will be leaving in the winter.

My guess as well.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Quote: "Devil's Hotel: 35% Popularity"... Hmm, I guess that explains why the ol' spookhouse may be on its last legs. Probably the ride that will be leaving in the winter.

My guess as well.

^ Hmm, I guess we shall find out!  ;)

1969 Winter Construction Update: Barren and quiet

It is always a different vibe when the off season comes along. In the city, to the boardwalk everything is just still and calm. But it is also a time where new thrills are built and other new fashions. January is one of those months where it is just that!

^ Taking a peak at Seaside Pier...

^ This fence separates us from coming in...

^ A lot of parts and such lay around to be put away...

^ Typically many of the rides get put away into a off site storage shelter from protection of the dry salt air. It causes a lot of issues with corrosion...

^ Some of the more permanent structures stay, the constant heat fades the paint requiring constant yearly touchups...

^ I wonder what new thrills await this pier this winter...

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
1969 Winter Construction Update: Slumber

Continuing on from the last update, Pirate Reef Pier is also in its dormant state. Quiet and closed down for the off season.

^ A lot of the portable rides are taken down. Only the permanent structures remain...

^ Pirate Ship walkthrough's paint is fading in some spots on the back. The sun will do that at times...

^ Some materials are scattered on the pier...

^ Everything else is pretty much shuttered as well...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Kinda sad and melancholy seeing the piers deserted and all the 'toys' put away. Oh well, here comes the new stuff!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Kinda sad and melancholy seeing the piers deserted and all the 'toys' put away. Oh well, here comes the new stuff!

Yes, you are right JB. It can feel quite like a ghost town in the winter for sure, until it gets warm again of course.

1969 Winter Construction Update Devil's Inn Last Call

As suspected Devil's Inn's time has come to an end at Pirate Reef. Nothing was really said on what will take its place next summer but Owner Will Wright is excited for this upcoming season's newest addition. "I feel like we could have done better, and we are creating something even more up to our golden standard." Manager Robert Plant expects progress to move pretty quickly once they are done cleaning up. Amusement Park Displays Company is supposed to begin work late this month. The Devil's Inn was simply a standard tiny portable darkride that you would see traveling in state fairs. With the salt air, the ride really doesn't stand a chance with it's expensive maintenance to keep it safe from leaks and rust.

^ The façade is slowly being taken down...

^ The iconic sign is laying down...

^ Behind the ride some dumpsters begin getting filled with the old...

^ I wonder what new ride Pirate Reef plans on next...

Creators Note

I am super excited to show you guys what I have planned!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 02:47 PM by Plokoon111 »

Score one for JB! He called it! Are you planning another dark ride?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
^ Wasn't too hard of a call. ;)

It's always sad to see a ride being dismantled. Then again, Devil's Hotel was just an off-the-shelf ride. Maybe its replacement will be more extravagant and custom-made (whatever it is).

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Score one for JB! He called it! Are you planning another dark ride?

^ He is the master at guessing what is going to happen haha. Who knows Citytrader, maybe it is another flat ride?

^ Wasn't too hard of a call. ;)

It's always sad to see a ride being dismantled. Then again, Devil's Hotel was just an off-the-shelf ride. Maybe its replacement will be more extravagant and custom-made (whatever it is).

^ Yeah it is sad seeing a ride get dismantled. Unfortunately that is what happens with forward progress in a amusement park. Nothing lasts forever. And yeah that is true, it was a small typical fair darkride. The space is better served with something more special.

1969 Winter Construction Update: Devil's Hotel Last Call: Part 2

A little snap shot of some progress today at Pirate Reef Pier. With the rainy weather, it is taking longer then usual to get ride of the darkride.

^ One of the worker's got this rare perspective photograph from the top of the ride. He tells me the sheet metal roof has not fared well from the salt air, very dangerous to walk on top of. Leaks were becoming a concern as well. You can see the simple track layout of zig zags. Almost similar to the Wild mouse zig zags on Seaside Pier.

^ Props and other ride parts lay scattered in the dumpsters by the pier...

Creator's Note: Devil's Hotel was a fun ride to make. It is amazing that some thing like this in Rct3 would have taken me 15 minutes to make, this took probably a few hours to perfect. My goal is to try to see how tiny I can make these, since in real life they really are this small. I feel like I did achieve that. It was more of a: Lets see how much things I can cram inside the layout type of deal.

Thank you everyone for the support, as always! I will be off the next week down Ocean City Maryland!  :up:

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
1969 Winter Construction Update: New Beginnings...

After a couple of weeks of business in PA, it was time to check out some new progress down in Pirate Reef Pier in Atlantic City boardwalk. I am sure there is more to see! Lets get to it! I was expecting something stark and different, but I am actually quite interested...

^ I was totally expecting Devil's Hotel to be completely gone. But with a closer look, it seems like they are adding on the the back of the ride...

^ In a couple of days, a new permanent wall was put up. It looks more sturdier then the sheet metal of the old fair darkride. The track looks to be extended as well...

^ Quite the Frankenstein type of building so far...

Stay tuned for more!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
1969 Winter Construction Update: Transform

It has been a while since we checked on Devil's Hotel new incarnation. A lot of work has gone on and thanks to Bill Tracy's Amusement Displays Co. we have a first sneak peak of what is to come. He is a well known dark ride prop builder. He has collaborated on Pirate Ship, Mine Ride and Jungle Land on the Pier. Still more finishing touches to come as always. Owner Will Wright is excited, along with Planet Manager Robert Plant. "This really holds the bar to fantasy and thrills that we have been come to being known as. This fits right in with our other headlining attractions." Will was quoted. No other news on any other rides for Pirate Reef Pier, but lets take a look! Not too much will be shown, as they want to keep things in secrecy.

^ It looks like the ride will keep the dark ride tradition, and will be called Horror House.

What do you guys think?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Atlantic City Boardwalk:1969 Winter Construction Update 9/17/21: Transform
« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Looking at the façade, it seems like Horror House is going to have a light-hearted, whimsical feel to it. I like it.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 19, 2021, 07:17 AM »
OMG that looks FANTASTIC!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 19, 2021, 12:26 PM »
I love the wonkyness of it. It really has that old school haunted house vibe going on. I can't wait to see what waits inside.