Making (onride) videos

• 5 replies

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
Making (onride) videos
« on: May 06, 2019, 04:54 PM »
I thought this would be easier than with RCT3, but apparently I was wrong. Sorry if this question was discussed before, but I am still quite new to Planco and a bit lost with making videos.

I got OBS for this, as apparently you can't record video within PC (correct?), and while my fps aren't great in the game, they are even worse on the output video.
So bad that I can't share what I initially wanted to share, and this might mess up my plans with my current thread.

Is there anything I might miss? Of course you can't tell what settings I am using, and all, but maybe there are some generally applying rules or tricks that have been around before I got into this?

Re: Making (onride) videos
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 05:28 PM »
There's some software called CheatEngine that people use where you record your video at 1/4 normal speed and then restore the speed in your movie editor.  You lose the audio when you do this, and it obviously quadruples your recording time.  I don't like it but it's currently necessary in my park.

If peeps aren't needed for your video, close the park and drain them.  Your FPS will improve greatly.

I use the built-in recorder in my video card (in my case, Radeon, but I think most cards have them.)  Not sure if it's better or worse than OBS.

The last thing I can think of, and this is a last resort but something else I may have to attempt soon, is making a special save file for your video and then deleting anything you can think of that won't show up in the video.  Works well for dark rides, sucks for coasters.

Good luck, I'd hate to not get to see you finish your project.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 06:07 PM »
You're correct in thinking there's no built-in recording system in PC.  I use OBS and have no problems with it.  But I've never had the serious FPS problems others complain of, so I'd take JP's advice as he's had a lot of such problems.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:33 PM »
I have to use CheatEngine else my videos would be horrendous to watch...well...wait...maybe some think they are still horrendous?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:05 PM »
I think I hear crickets, wowman. :P

Elch: I think JP offers several good options. Even though I haven't posted any videos, I have made a couple of them. I used the method that JP suggests, above-  deleted most of my (RCT3) park and the frame rate was great, smooth as silk. Of course, like JP says, that method only works if it's indoors or somewhere where the rest of the park isn't going to be visible. I use Fraps for recording videos and screenshots. Not sure if that's a viable choice for PC though.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:38 PM »
I've been using the Windows 10 Game Bar screen recorder. If you press WinKey+G it brings it up. It's a little choppy, but it works for my purposes, and it does record in game sound.