BH's Boat Set

• 8 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
BH's Boat Set
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:54 PM »

Bullethead's Boat Set

Set currently includes a superyacht (head-of-state version) and a separate Zodiac inflatable outboard.  There are also 2 Zodiacs that are part of the main superyacht.  I might add more boats in the future if I ever feel like going through this ordeal again.

Workshop Link:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940078825

The above pic is a slightly earlier version but it had the best backdrop.  The pics below show the current version.  They differ only in a few details, mostly the ground tackle (anchors and such).

The superyacht is equipped for a head-of-state so has a twin 30mm point automated defense system and chaff launchers to defend against missiles, and also a fire control radar to use the gun for offensive action if need be (repelling boarders, etc.).  It also has more extensive communications than are normally needed for civilians.  To convert this to a civilian boat, remove the guns, chaff, and fire control radar, and perhaps turn the roof of the aft deckhouse into a helipad.

This version also has CODAG (COmbined Diesel And Gas) propulsion, cruising on diesels but with gas turbines that can be clutched in for much higher speed.  To convert to just diesel for civilian use, remove the upper air intakes just below the stack.

There is a VIP suite on 2 decks right aft with personal servant quarters below.  This has its own galley, head, and conference / situation room as needed by a head-of-state.  There are 6 luxury double cabins for guests / press below the fo'c'le with crew quarters on the lower deck.

The electronics outfit for head-of-state.  To convert to civvie, remove the fire control radar and perhaps the 2 big satellite communications balls.

Anyway, some more detail shots:

"Arxelia" means "Magnificent" in the Nicotinan language (Planco).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VqsMey]

2 Zodiac inflatable motorboats for general use and as lifeboats.  These can be repositioned easily to lower the Zodiacs, as shown below.

Anchor dropped, davits swung outboard, and boat lowered.  All simple edits to the model.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VqsLrb]

Night view.  Navigation lights on the mast and from the portholes.  The bridge and VIP suite windows are too tinted to give off light.

The separate version of the Zodiac.  The wooden column on the left is what makes it a building.  Hide this somewhere or use it as a mooring post (connect it to the boat with a rope).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VqsKM5]

Details of outboard motor.  It uses a water jet instead of an exposed prop :D.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VqsKyE]

The Zodiac gone ashore for more rum :D.[/url][/url][/url][/url]
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: BH's Boat Set
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:11 PM »
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

Workshop link:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940078825

I have now added a 2-masted schooner to the boat set.  It's a typical small merchant of the late 1800s-early 1900s, perfect for Caribbean smuggling.  And I threw in a couple of buoys as lagniappe.

I was very much inspired to do this by Xenay, maker of a fleet of fabulous Nelsonian warships.

Anyway, the schooner was built up out of hundreds of planks, poles, and ropes, plus a few music notes.  I attempted to be reasonably historically accurate in the details. 

The fo'c's'le has a windlass, typical for merchants in lieu of a capstan.

This ship has a tiller instead of a wheel.  This was mostly due to a lack of small parts to make a wheel of the necessary size (the provided one is WAY too big).  Many little ships this size had tillers (even the Pequod in Moby Dick had a tiller) so it's still realistic.

The hardest part was rigging the topmast shrouds but I think they came out OK.

The windows are lit by embedded signs, there are some cabin skylights on the quarterdeck, and a lantern hangs from each mast.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:36 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Dazzyls

• *Insert inspiring quote*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:17 PM »
 :o You have outdone yourself once again sir... I'm speechless...

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:33 PM »
:o You have outdone yourself once again sir... I'm speechless...

Thank you very much!  Couldn't have done it without Xenay's examples as a guide, though.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I love that this is becoming a boat set, do you plan on doing more? This latest edition looks so cool, I love the details on the masts and just all over, really. Cracking stuff!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21 PM »
I love that this is becoming a boat set, do you plan on doing more? This latest edition looks so cool, I love the details on the masts and just all over, really. Cracking stuff!

Thank you very much!  I enjoyed making it.

As to making more vessels, I don't know.  I made both of these vessels specifically for theming needs of Quarantine Island, not just making them in a vacuum.  So I doubt I'll make more any time soon,  but if I do, they'll probably end up here.  More likely, I'll add some more buoys and navigational aids before then.

The true master of sailing ships is Xenay.  If I ever need a Nelsonian warship, I'll go there :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Extremely impressive and clean builds. Could definitely see myself using these, especially that beautiful schooner.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Extremely impressive and clean builds. Could definitely see myself using these, especially that beautiful schooner.

Thank you very much!  Glad you like them  :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 12:14 PM »
NEW LUGGERS

Added a simple lugsail rig to the stock rowboat.  Comes in 2 versions, one of which is using its boom as a crane to load cargo.

So, the set now includes:
*  Superyacht
*  Schooner
*  Zodiac outboard
*  2 Luggers
*  2 buoys

Workshop:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940078825

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page