Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Phase One Grand Opening)

• 139 replies

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Cafe Al Fresco nears completion)
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 05:38 AM »
It's staggering how close you're able to get to RCT3...really beautiful work as always, man.

Offline thylacine

• Expect something soonish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Awesome to see the Laguna Beach Boardwalk receiving a breath of fresh air. This was the first park I watched you work on and I am so happy to see it back. Can't wait to see the amazingness that comes from this project. Hopefully that Pirate Area will be left out and this becomes an above standard Boardwalk with the Wonder company flare!

-thylacine

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 04:41 AM »
What?!? No dead elephants?  :scared:

Seriously, I am really looking forward to seeing this project move forward. I really love your work on Wonder World, but this park always seemed a little more "real" to me. Love your handling of the architecture so far. Really beautiful.

I am excited to see where you go next...

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 02:26 PM »
^ Thanks all, for the nice comments.

What?!? No dead elephants?  :scared:
How do you guys remember this stuff? :P

Not much to show other than construction on the restrooms.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 02:59 PM »
You'll be happy to know that I've forgotten a lot of that stuff ::)

Lovely work as always!
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Lol, whenever shyguy posts "nothing to see" or "not much to show" history has taught me to look extra close for nefarious doings. I can't see any this time, though. :(

Offline thylacine

• Expect something soonish
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00 PM »
/\He has probably forgotten about his old tropes. It has been nearly 3 years since his last real park, excluding Parkitect. I love those signs, Billboards?

Its not like this is a picture of a tree in the middle of an empty map that could get 2-3 pages of comments again! But lets see how much we can get based off of this restroom! So far 3.

-thylacine

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 07:57 PM »
There's some nefarious tile on the restroom floor  ;D     Mostly I'm just liking how much this park is a showcase of all the Shyguy RCT3 building sets.

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 04:15 AM »
^ Thanks all, for the nice comments.
How do you guys remember this stuff? :P

Quite literally, it was one of the only times I almost wet my pants laughing so hard when I first read your post.

One tends not to forget something like that!

Nice bathroom!

Offline Mr. Wonder

• CEO Wonder Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 04:05 PM »

Something big is rising above Wonder Beach Boardwalk. :whistling:

Offline Eaglefan9727

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 08:41 PM »
The Wonder Beach Boardwalk building is amazing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:44 PM by Eaglefan9727 »

Offline PandaCoasters

• The Grinch wearing a mask holding a gun
    • View Profile
    • PandaCoasters' Youtube
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2017, 03:24 AM »
Something else big is rising.

'I vote that my team makes Trump Land with a big fat wall from Boston's Dams so we can make SSD great again and keep out the illegal normies.'

-me, SSD'16

Offline Mr. Wonder

• CEO Wonder Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Disgusting. :mad:

Another sneak peek.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2017, 04:41 AM »

Disney stock prices?

Disgusting. :mad:

Yep, Disney stock prices...

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 08:58 AM »
I think it's been awhile since I've seen you post coaster pictures in one of your parks... anxious to see more of it

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 12:49 PM »
I really enjoyed seeing you transform the original park in RCT3, glad you're building this in PC as well. :)
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2017, 02:58 PM »
I think this is the one Wonder park I never saw any of in the RCT3 days, so while I love the buildings - and finally you're showing a coaster somewhere  :P ! - I don't have the fond memories that everyone else seems to. Here's hoping there's enough stuff to get a working Water World someday.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 03:41 AM »
a coaster woop woop. great buildings you build there.
show us some more :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 02:59 PM »
I think it's been awhile since I've seen you post coaster pictures in one of your parks... anxious to see more of it
There's a reason why you don't see many coasters in my parks. But I do my best.

I really enjoyed seeing you transform the original park in RCT3, glad you're building this in PC as well. :)
This is my go-to park when I need a break from Wonder World.

I think this is the one Wonder park I never saw any of in the RCT3 days, so while I love the buildings - and finally you're showing a coaster somewhere  :P ! - I don't have the fond memories that everyone else seems to. Here's hoping there's enough stuff to get a working Water World someday.
Hopefully, Water World will be resurrected as well. I had so much planned for that park that I never got to do.

show us some more :)
Okay, okay.

Here's the old Vertigo station in RCT3.

And the new version.

Vertigo Gift Shop and entrance. The coaster is nearly finished so I'll have some pics very soon...

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Vertigo construction)
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2017, 03:12 PM »
There's something hilariously charming about how you reconstructed Vodhin's Vermont set bridges for PC. We were just using what we had with RCT3, but you used the pieces so nicely that it translates well to PC.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2017, 09:21 PM »
That's some clever construction in that station.  I really like the look.

I do have a question, though.  Being new here, I don't know the reason why don't do many coasters.  I watched the old Wonder World videos and recall one where Mr. Wonder was having a bad dream where coasters were crashing in the background the whole time.  But that was just a dream, right? :D
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 05:57 AM »
great woodwork! definitly like the roof work on that "stairway" looks really charming!
And i like the two pics from Old version / new version!
You should do this more often :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36 PM »
I do have a question, though.  Being new here, I don't know the reason why don't do many coasters.  :D
Coaster design has never been my strong point.  ;)

Here's just a few teasers before the official unveiling of Vertigo...

Backstage area behind the main entrance. Mr. Wonder has a his own reserved parking spot.

The boarding station for Vertigo.

Landscaping around (and below) Vertigo.

And during testing of the ride, I've encountered an annoying bug/glitch/design when it comes to how peeps load a coaster. I have set it so the cars are loaded quickly and exit the station so there is no back-up of cars just sitting in the station. Everything works perfect during testing, and during the first batch of peeps loading the ride when all the cars are empty. It all goes to pot once the cars begin to return to the station carrying passengers.  It's bad enough that the peeps won't exit the ride until they are at the front of the line. But the peeps won't board an empty car until the last group has walked all the way to the exit and left the platform completely. This results in a back-up of nearly all the cars, peeps stranded in the cars while having to wait til they get to the front, and a ride that has most of the cars sitting inside the station at any given time, instead of out on the ride.

In the 1st part of the video, you can see how it should work. But once cars begin to return carrying passengers, everything backs up. Because of the design of the station, I can't move the exit closer to the entrance, which would alleviate the problem. Has this been brought up over at the Frontier forums?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 06:06 AM »

Backstage area behind the main entrance. Mr. Wonder has a his own reserved parking spot.

I had Mr. Wonder pegged as more of a Delorean guy :)

And during testing of the ride, I've encountered an annoying bug/glitch/design when it comes to how peeps load a coaster. ....  Has this been brought up over at the Frontier forums?

Yup, this is a well-known and oft-vented-about aspect of all PC rides, even the flat ones, although it's most obvious with coasters and track rides.  It's a design thing, not a glitch or bug.

The upshot for players when designing rides is:
  • To minimize the reloading cycle time, put the exit on the opposite side of the station as the entrance, and center the exit on the length of the parked train/car.  The further from this position you put the exit, the longer the reloading cycle will take because the old peeps have to walk farther to clear the platform.  Long coasters should NEVER have the exit on the same side of the station as the entrance.
  • With the optimum exit placement, the reloading cycle will take about 30 seconds for the longest coasters down to about 10 seconds for 1-car things like spinners.
  • 1-car things with 4-8 seats aren't as sensitive to exit placement because nobody has to walk very far, unless you put the exit really far from the unloading position.  With these, the exit can be on the same side of the station as the entrance.  If the exit is right beside the entrance, you're still only looking about a 15-second cycle.
  • In general, it's best to set rides to run on full load, minimum wait time about 5 seconds, maximum wait time dependent on size of ride (30 seconds for big coasters, less for others).
  • When the ride is in test mode, it only pauses at the station long enough for the animations of the restraints and gates to cycle.  It doesn't consider the time needed for peeps to walk off and on the platform.  For this reason, you can only determine the optimum number of trains/cars/logs to run with the ride open.  This is best done in a separate sandbox testing park.
This has led many players to perceive that the reloading cycles are too long, but really they're pretty fast already.  There's no delay while operators check everybody's restraints, etc.  And the fact that nobody can board until all the previous riders are off the platform is actually realistic in that it makes sure nobody stays on for another go, or forgets personal belongings in the cars, etc., and the time added to the cycle for this can be considered the time that the operators would be checking the restraints on the next batch of riders, etc.

The main drawback to the current system is that it puts a constraint on station design, which is the problem you've encountered here.  The length of the reload cycle depends entirely on the position of the exit, which determines the time required for old riders to get off the platform.  Because of this, there have been many requests for separate loading and unloading stations.  Many mistakenly believe this would increase throughput by speeding up the reloading cycle.  This is not the case, however.  The reloading cycle would actually be longer because you're adding time to move the vehicle from unloading to loading position.  But separate stations would allow greater flexibility in station design.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Thanks for explaining that, Bullethead. If they allowed peeps to exit once the vehicle has entered the station instead of waiting until they reach the front of the line, I think this would solve, or at least lesson, the problem. Oh well. Maybe they'll change it in the future.

Vertigo Sneak Peek

The Vertigo spinning coaster is complete, and there was a Sneak Peek day at the park for lucky peeps to try out the new attraction.

Vertigo entrance

The queue

More queue

Just act natural and don't look at the camera.

Here we go...underneath the walkway.

Wee

The top of the 1st hill

A wet surprise

Wee

Back to the station

End of the ride :'(

Aerial shot

Footage of Sneak Peek Day and Vertigo POV coming next...

Re: Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Vertigo opens)
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Your coaster building skills seem quite fine to me.

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2017, 03:17 PM »
I love the station. It's perfectly generic.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2017, 05:54 PM »
The original Vertigo from RCT3...

Sneak Peek Day at Wonder Beach Boardwalk and a ride on Vertigo...

Offline Knight Rider

• One man can make a difference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2017, 06:45 PM »
No! Don't trust K.A.R.R.!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Thanks for explaining that, Bullethead. If they allowed peeps to exit once the vehicle has entered the station instead of waiting until they reach the front of the line, I think this would solve, or at least lesson, the problem. Oh well. Maybe they'll change it in the future.

Actually, this wouldn't help at all.  You're asking for separate unloading and loading positions, which actually slows down the reload cycle by adding the time required to move the vehicle from the unloading position to the loading position.  It's the position of the exit gate relative to where the vehicle stops to unload that determines the cycle time, because this determines how far peeps must walk to clear the platform, and that's where the vast bulk of the reload cycle time comes from.

To illustrate the overriding importance of exit position, consider a long, multi-train coaster.  If you put the exit on the same side of the platform as the entrance, the platform cattle chutes force the only path off the platform to be all the way at the front of the train.  Thus, peeps from the rear car have to walk the full length of the train to get off the platform, and no new peeps can board until this happens.  OTOH, if the exit gate is at the center of the train, which is only possible with the exit on the opposite side of the platform from the entrance and its cattle chutes, then no peep has to walk farther than 1/2 the length of the train, thereby making this configuration's reload cycle only 1/2 as long as with the exit on the same side.

Bottom line, to minimize the reload cycle, you must minimize the distance old peeps have to walk to get to the exit gate.  For 1-car rides, this means putting the exit as close as possible to where the car stops, on either side of the station.  For multi-car rides, this means putting the exit centered on the stopped train on the opposite side from the entrance.  And as long as new peeps can't board until all the old peeps are off the platform, this will always be the case whether you have separate loading/unloading positions or not.  Thus, the only way Frontier could speed up the reload cycle would be to allow new peeps to board, and the train to leave, before the old peeps are off the platform.  But how realistic would that be?  Wouldn't there be some safety and security issues with that?  Also, what about the time to check restraints, which currently doesn't happen but can be assumed as abstracted into the slow exit speed of the old peeps?

So, if you care about throughput, whether you have stations with separate loading/unloading positions or not, you have to accept that you're not free to place the entrance and exit gates where they'd make the station's architecture look the best.   You have to place them where they work the fastest, which means putting them in specific locations, the same places every time depending on vehicle length, then constructing the station building and the exit path and queue around that.  OTOH, if you don't care about throughput, then put the gates wherever you want, but accept that throughput will be less than the maximum possible.

---------------------------------------

All that said, the new Vertigo is a fun ride.  I enjoy building and watching spinning coasters in the game, but I think I've ridden enough of them in real life ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page