Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Phase Two begins with new Rotor)

• 190 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Boardwalk Games coming)
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2018, 05:34 AM »
I like the angled pilings.  Most folks, myself included, don't do that.  Is that going to be a boat ride station at the end?
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Is that going to be a boat ride station at the end?
Yes it is. In the RCT3 version, you can rent boats from there. Since there is no small boat ride attraction yet for PC, it will be just for show until they either add a small boat ride or someone makes some paddle boats or something similar with the Toolkit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:02 AM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2018, 11:25 AM »
This is a blast from that past, super nostalgic!   :up:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Yes it is. In the RCT3 version, you can rent boats from there. Since there is no small boat ride attraction yet for PC, it will be just for show until they either add a small boat ride or someone makes some paddle boats or something similar with the Toolkit.

OTOH, the jungle boat thing can be the 1st step in the peep-trafficking trade... :D
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2018, 05:51 AM »
OTOH, the jungle boat thing can be the 1st step in the peep-trafficking trade... :D

Or at least a placeholder for now, since stations in this game are roughly the same size and easy to swap out later.  There's also the possibility of building the ride you want with the jungle boat tracks and perhaps being allowed to switch the cars later as well without laying new track work.

I like those angled pilings too, that's a detail most people don't think about, myself included.  Would have worked great in my summer competition park, dangit.  I wished I'd though of it :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Something New's A-Brewin')
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2018, 08:28 PM »

The newest attraction is under construction...

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2018, 08:36 PM »
A Madhouse? Very cool!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Fantastic details!  Looks creepy ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2018, 02:40 PM »

Fate's Mansion looks nice...on the outside. ;)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2018, 02:51 PM »
wow!  I LOVE it.  Too bad we don't have a real madhouse in the game...but if we did, it wouldn't be as nice looking as yours!!

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2018, 04:23 PM »
That madhouse looks really awesome!!! I would love to have a working version of that in the game.
Too bad custom content is limited to 8x8x8M, otherwise it was possible to create a ride like that as animated scenery.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2018, 04:46 PM »
^ Maybe sometime in the future, Frontier will add the ability to create custom rides.

One can dream...

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Pretty sure that day will come, shyguy.
It looks amazing, you've created a real madhouse feeling with this building and inside, great job!

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2018, 11:14 PM »
This is a real trip down memory lane! I really like the nighttime ambience. It's both equally creepy and inviting.
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Looks beautiful, Shyguy! 

I had to google what a "Madhouse" ride is.  I've never seen one but it sounds interesting.  As I understand it, it's like a rainbow that really doesn't move very much but the theming spins all around it to give the illusion that you're upside down.

If that's the case, then I can see why it's not in PC.  If the peeps don't move much, there's no real speed or G forces, so there'd be no excitement (and hence, no business) without some special rules.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Here's a great video of how they work, Bullethead.  They are soooooo much fun.  I rode Hex and Alton Towers in England a few years ago and it was so well done.  I couldn't believe how well the illusion worked.  You really felt like you were flipping upside down.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Here's a great video of how they work, Bullethead.  They are soooooo much fun.  I rode Hex and Alton Towers in England a few years ago and it was so well done.  I couldn't believe how well the illusion worked.  You really felt like you were flipping upside down.

Ah, thanks.

So, I take it the peeps face the side of the cylinder closest to the camera in that video?  And thus the motion is more like a big porch swing than the sideways swing of a Rainbow?  But either way, the peeps don't move very much or very fast so the usual PC mechanics for figuring ride stats would give it essentially zero excitement and fear.  That might be coded around, meaning the real issue would be theming it.

We can't attached parts to animated objects and have those parts move with the animated object.  So all the theming would be have to be permanent.  I suppose the best option would be to make each side of the cylinder a billboard so you could stick whatever pic or video on each side that you wanted.

BTW, how do you get into thing thing through that cage?  In the animation, I really didn't see any doorways (at least wide enough for the fire marshal :D ).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2018, 07:02 PM »
The doors are on either side of the hub. The peeps walk in and sit down facing each other. It is a pretty high capacity ride.

Not sure about the dynamics of PC, but they are pretty exciting. The walls and floors and ceiling move, giving you the feeling of flipping around the room. It is actually very old tech.

They used this technique in the movie 2001, where the stewardess walks up the wall and into an "upside down" corridor.

The camera and set are rotating, and the actress is stationary on a treadmill.

Not great quality, but you get a better idea here;

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:06 PM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2018, 08:52 PM »
It is actually very old tech.

It sure is.  The 1st ride of this type was made in the 1890s :)  Amazing what you can learn once you've been given some hints on what to look for.  Thanks for the info  :up:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Professor Fate's is now  Vekoma Madhouse?!!!!
Perfect choice. It fits like a glove. And it looks amazing. It's great seeing the pic of the professor in game again. It gives me massive RCT3 vibes.
 I was going to make one and you beat me to it ;) HEX is one of my absolute favourite rides.

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2018, 02:34 AM »
This is all so beautiful. Shyguy, your buildings are just so great looking, its a perfect, so well thought out style of architecture! And the madhouse interiour, looks so real... Every pic is just pure pleasure. This park is going to be a masterpiece! :)
Can't wait to see more!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:36 AM by corkscrewloop »
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2018, 11:08 AM »
You are bringing one of my favorite rides to planet coaster, so for me personally, when it's done, it should be done right. By the looks of it so far you are doing it perfect. Chug down a beer or two and ride a madhouse, one of the best things in life  B).

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Beach Boardwalk (Prof. Fate's House of Madness)
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2018, 02:23 PM »
^ Thanks for the nice comments everyone. :)

Professor Fate's House of Madness

Professor Fate's House of Madness opened this weekend for a special sneak peek, before the rest of the park officially opens next week.

The queue winds its way around the gardens outside of the manor.

Entering through the foyer.

The pre-show room. An eerie voice emanating from the demon in the mirror directs guests into the room.

A slide show tells the strange story of Prof. Fate, his obsession with circuses, and mysterious death.

Circus props decorate the waiting room. In a moment, the doors will open, welcoming guests into the main parlour.

Guests take their seats in the lavishly decorated parlour. Prof. Fate's portrait hangs prominently in the center of the room.

The mirror demon begins to talk again, mentioning something about the house being in between two dimensions... the here, and the Upside Down.

The demon goes quiet. And then...

The sound of Prof. Fate's laughter fills the room. And then the house settles back into our dimension and the guests are directed to the exit doors, wondering just what happened, and whether of not Prof. Fate is still around, but just not here...

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2018, 02:56 PM »
I'm not entirely sure how you did that, but I love it.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2018, 03:23 PM »
This looks excellent! It's hard to believe this isn't an actual working ride. I'm guessing you saved the parlour, minus the seating, as a blueprint. Then rotated it at different angles before placing it for each screenshot. (?)

The interior is a sight to behold; elegant and warmly lit, but slightly eerie as well. It perfectly sets the mood.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2018, 05:00 PM »
That is absolutely the best fake ride ever made!  Bravo!

BTW, does your Professor Fate have any connection with the villain Jack Lemmon played of the same name in the classic 1965 movie The Great Race ?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:02 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Oh wow.  It' just perfect, Shyguy!  I'm speechless!   :o

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Oh wow.  It' just perfect, Shyguy!  I'm speechless!   :o

I'm not entirely sure how you did that, but I love it.
Thanks, guys.

That is absolutely the best fake ride ever made!  Bravo!

BTW, does your Professor Fate have any connection with the villain Jack Lemmon played of the same name in the classic 1965 movie The Great Race ?
One of my favorite movies. While Professor Fate is not at all related to the Jack Lemmon character, he WAS named after him. Prof. Fate also has an attraction at Wonder World in Circus Center (which I haven't gotten around to recreate in the Planet Coaster version)

This looks excellent! It's hard to believe this isn't an actual working ride. I'm guessing you saved the parlour, minus the seating, as a blueprint. Then rotated it at different angles before placing it for each screenshot. (?)

The interior is a sight to behold; elegant and warmly lit, but slightly eerie as well. It perfectly sets the mood.
Yes. The parlour is saved as one building, and the seating (gondola) is saved as a second building. Both can be rotated, although I only rotated the parlour building because rotating the gondola (which also rotates limitedly in the real attraction) resulted in it being rotated through the walls of the exterior building and below the ground. It's also impossible to choose where the rotation axis will be in Planet Coaster, so I had to rotate and then re-center the parlour on the x and y axis. This was easily accomplished by attaching the portrait of Fate to the parlour, and then lining it up to the center spot on the wall of the gondola.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:04 PM by shyguy »

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2018, 07:44 PM »
I predicted the other way around, mostly because I assumed that the parlor would've had gridded pieces.  I definitely need to get better at making buildings without gridded parts, I guess I'm still stuck in RCT3 mode :(

And thank you once again for the homepage snapshot   :)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2018, 08:43 PM »
^ I made sure not to use any gridded pieces on either section.