SGW Summer Competition 2017 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)

• 68 replies

Offline Ruby

• View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2017 - Challenge #3
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Northern Spain - July 2017

Esteban put us on quite the task, when he said he wanted us to redesign and rebuild the entire giftshop. He didn't ask for much, except that it should follow the easy fun-going theme the whole park has going at the moment, and that it would eventually be part of the main plaza area. He did however request quite a big storage room in the back, where he could store extra merchandise. He told us he could save money by buying in bulk!

So, dear investors, without further ado, we present to you "Recuerdos":

The front entrance of the newly built giftshop, feautures windows with mannequins, wearing costumes and hats you can buy in-store!!

Inside the giftshop, you will find many different fun items you can bring home as a memory of your fun day in La Alegría!

On the side of the building, we find a newly purchased greenscreen photobooth! Want a picture of yourself in the boomerang, but too scared of actually trying it? Fear not, the photobooth will make it look like you were the biggest daredevil of them all! The area also features a soda vending machine, as well as a snack vending machine.

The backroom storage, complete with extra inventory, as well as future new items.

Lastly, we present to you an overview of the new area, and how it fits into the main entrance plaza. We continue to create custom roofs for all the buildings, even though they are quite hard to construct and draw on the drawing board.

As always, we look forward to continously updating you on the progress in the park. Esteban is pleased so far!

Best regards,

R&MR

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 03:32 PM »
I can tell this will be another tough job for the judges!  These all look fantastic, guys!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 04:29 PM »

I took the liberty of posting Maylene & Andreizsmart's entry. :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 05:56 PM »
This week Steve was rather excited to show us what had been done at the park. The old "crap box" of a gift shop was removed and replaced with something much more... interesting.

"The Rotunda". Looks to me like Steve was able to drop the Ad campaign for this one.

The inside is absolutely marvelous.

The main shop is held within the central dome, makes it look nice and open. Two smaller annexes are on either side with the cashiers in the rear.

The lighting reminds me of some retro sci-fi type of thing. Looks like the dome is the focal point, I guess with all of that structure required to keep it up it would be to expensive to go over the top with the details everywhere else. Still, I think it works.

And the inside is lit too! Beautiful...

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I took the liberty of posting Maylene & Andreizsmart's entry. :)

LMAO

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 06:47 PM »
This is my favorite time of the contest, when the time is ticking down to the entry deadline and 1 amazing thing after another pops up.  Keep 'em coming!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Im just screenshoting, sorry for being so late, will post them in 10 min.
Had a bunch of problem with the textures of a blueprint adfo passed me :(

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 08:49 PM »

Hello everyone! Welcome back to Xoo! CTRSind and I are proud to present "Trackers"!

Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

Offline Mikikiwasha

• Aka. SilentMember
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 08:50 PM »
To: Steve Tucker
Date: 07/06/17

Dear Mr. Tucker,

This was a busy week for us here at the office, so please excuse the rough edges around the pictures. We were pressed for time and could only provide your immediate requests. However, from that request you have received not one, not two, but three distinct gift shops! Attached below are images of the three shops.

The shops are, from left to right: Uncle Ben's Antique Store, Auntie Mae's General Store, and the Christmas Shoppe.

The antique store sells, as you would imagine, antiques and other knick-knacks. Anything with a tag on it is available for purchase, including the chair, the grandfather clock, and the china cabinet.

The general store sells standard amusement park souvenirs, including t-shirts, basketballs, etc. This is the lower level of the store, home to the service counter and a some shopping nooks immediately out of sight.

The upper level is where the shirt racks are located. It provides a nice view of the shop below. In our continued effort to ensure full accessibility, pictured at right is the elevator connecting the two floors.

And finally, the Christmas store sells Christmas supplies, including ornaments, candy, and wrapping paper. It's Christmas in May, June, July, all year! here at the Christmas Shoppe!

We look forward to continue working with you, Mr. Tucker, in your redesign. Until next week, thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Jake C and Mikiwasha

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Sorry, no story this time lol

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Wow!
Everyone's entries are so good again. I'm determined that one of these weeks, I might even finish one of these challenges ;)

They were in so much of a rush to open, that a lot of the merchandise hadn't arrived

Pretty lights

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Challenge 3 entry
CoastersPaul and zappublishersltd

The new giftshop at Lakewood Gardens is a ... rather humble affair, and it's met with only a lukewarm response from park-goers so far. However, Steve was quite insistent that we stuck to his impossibly low budget this time.

The Last Stop Supply Shop, as it's known, is on the far edge of the entrance city, just a Larson Looper across from Hydra. And so we were directed to fill it with as much Hydra merchandise as we could have made.

Here a parent checks out the Hydra shirts after telling her children that they can't buy the official Lakewood Gardens electric lanterns, and they are most certainly NOT getting the toy Greek swords.

The shop also sells baseball caps and beach towels in the official park colors of orange and blue, as well as various smaller items in the boxes.

One of the cashiers greets some potential customers. Steve was a bit annoyed they were wearing the wrong uniforms, though.

Offline Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 09:52 PM »
Hello everyone! Welcome back to Xoo! CTRSind and I are proud to present "Trackers"!

I like how you guys are just building a mix between "Adventure Landing" and "Quest"  :whistling: ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:58 PM by Ruby »

Offline CTRSind

• Made from real Fruit!
    • View Profile
    • CTRSnet.com
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 09:55 PM »
what were you expecting?

Offline Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 11:14 PM »
what were you expecting?

I wanna say "originality", but you don't know me, so you might take that offensively, instead of friendly banter  :P

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 11:38 PM »
Good Lord this is going to be a difficult round to judge! Amazing work everyone!!!

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 07:02 AM »
omg that entrys o.O
Great work all!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Everything looks amazing guys!! I am so glad I am not a judge... everyone has such a unique style, they all are winners in my book!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 08:14 AM »
I wanna say "originality", but you don't know me, so you might take that offensively, instead of friendly banter  :P

:mad:up: I see were about to issue our first "no trespass" warning!
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Really incredible entries everybody! So much creativty, diversity and inspiration.

I am so glad I am not a judge
yes, me too!  :confused:

Good luck to all of you and a lot of fun for the upcoming challange!

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 08:57 AM »
:mad:up: I see were about to issue our first "no trespass" warning!
So Dutcher is still allowed in your park?

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Amazing stuff guys, seriously some great stuff.

Thanks for entering our submission Shyguy, I hope we win.  ;D In all realness, I wish I had more time to play but with traveling and work and Maylene failing at life, it's been hard to get time in. Watching closely though and will hopefully bust out a couple more challenges just for fun.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline Dazzyls

• *Insert inspiring quote*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2017, 04:18 PM »
Sorry, no story this time lol
Spoiler (hover to show)

NO WAY.  :o [size=78%] That building IS art deco. I love art deco so much and I love this building as much as I love the style, because this building IS art deco! imo you have won again, but you have some very tough competition![/size]

I also really like the simplicity of CoasterPaul and Zap's entry. It is probably more belivable than SPR and Adfo's entry to be in a theme park, but I love both entries.

Anyway I don't think I'm going to finish a lot of the challenges because I have quite a lot of other hobbies and I already have another PC project I really want to finish, but it's fun to watch these entries anyway.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2017, 04:59 PM »
1st Place - Simtanic8 - 35 pts

2nd Place - LoneWolf & CTRSind - 29 pts

3rd Place - Kinderly & Grrt - 26 pts

Scores for all the entrants
-Ruby & _mister_MR_ - 19
-Kinderly & Grrt - 28
-Mikikiwasha & Jake C - 16
-johnycanon8 & AcesCalifornia - 9
-mineraljunction - 24
-Simtanic8 - 35
-Nemmie - 15
-Muserato - 10
-coasterkidjacob & Bullethead - 15
-CoastersPaul & zappublishersltd - 9
-LoneWolf & CTRSind - 29
-SPRidley & Adfo - 15
-JayBlastOne - 9
-RCT D! & zeroG - 22
-kjellkamp - 10

Total scores for Challenges #1-#3
-mineraljunction - 74
- LoneWolf & CTRSind - 72
- SPRidley & Adfo - 72
-Simtanic8 - 71
-Ruby & _mister_MR_ - 53
-Kinderly & Grrt - 51
-Nemmie - 49
-Mikikiwasha & Jake C - 46
-johnycanon8 & AcesCalifornia - 46
- RCT D! & zeroG - 41
- coasterkidjacob & Bullethead - 41
- Muserato - 32
-Maylene & Andreizsmart - 22
- RCT-Cassie & CoasterCad - 22
- CoastersPaul & zappublishersltd - 19
-JayBlastOne - 15
- FreetheBear & n7 - 14
- kjellkamp - 10
-sam_ - 10
-Dazzyls - 9
- GC59 Productions - 4
-JR-Imagine - 1
- elwindewitte - 1

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2017 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Congrats you 3 teams! Great work all round ^^ Anybody got a clue who is still in contention to win? :P It's 1am here

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Anybody got a clue who is still in contention to win?
It's way too early to even speculate. There are a lot more challenges, plus the last one will be heavily weighted. So even if you have only 1 point so far, you could still have a chance.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Congrats Simtanic! Yours would have been in my top 3 as well. Though I hoped the judges would see it differently. :P

Any chance some of the judges want to share their 2 cents on how they voted? It can sometimes be hard to see your own flaws and shortcomings in these things objectively.

^ And we're still in it.:mad:up:

Offline Simtanic8

• Wait, which one are you again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Wait.... I actually won this challenge?

That is actually quite shocking. I definitely didn't make my top 3.  ;D

Thank you so much judges! Everyone's entries were fantastic, never would I guess there were so many ways to create a gift shop. I'm guessing that Challenge 4 will have serious detail in each entry to keep up with everyone.  :scared:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Congrats to the winners!

I'm sure the judges had their hardest time yet.  I myself couldn't pick a top 3 given the huge diversity presented. each so good in its own way.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Top 3

1st: Kinderly & Grrt
I just love everything about this shop. It's visually striking from the exterior and the interior. The shelves and souvenirs are really well done and overall, I thought your entry was the strongest for this challenge.
2nd: LoneWolf & CTRSind
I really appreciate how well you're tying all these challenges together. Your vision is clear and this gift shop is no exception. I wish I got a few better views of the "interior" which is why I put you at (a very close) second.
3rd: mineraljunction
Your realism and attention to scale and detail have been incredibly strong throughout. Again, it was the strong interior that awarded you 3rd place points in this challenge. The facades felt a bit "plain" if I had to give any critique, compared to the other 2 who placed higher than you. Regardless, this was an outstanding entry.

Runners up:

Bullethead & coasterkidjacob
You've been tweaking you design each week and you've been pushing yourself and I appreciate that. I think this week, you've finally hit a style that is much more "wow" than what you've had previously but also maintains a realistic quality.
Simtanic8
I love your work. You were extremely close to placing and I wrestled with it quite a bit. While I really appreciate the whole development of the area, the actual gift shop portion was not as well executed as the top 3 competitors.
ZeroG & RCT D!
Another lovely entry and your theme is amazing. But much like simtanic, I felt like if you've gone this far, a simple interior would have all but guaranteed you first place. Nonetheless, your work is astounding and it's entries like these that make me wish I could award "runners up" more than 2 points!
Ruby & _mr_MR_
Nice, solid entry. I appreciate the interior, but it just wasn't as compelling as the top 3 spots this time around. I do love the backstage area and supply room. Perhaps spend more time on the "front of house" for future challenges. Either way, really well done.
SPRidley& Adfo
Deco is a great building style. However, I felt this building dwarfed everything else. Compared to your Miami Deco from challenge 2, this one felt too large. I would have also liked to see more pictures of the interior. Still, that's some really nice building skills!
Nemmie
Your work is so charming. I enjoy the use of billboards in your gift shop but the juxtaposition of the architecture in your shops felt a bit off to me. Still, it's a rock solid entry that deserves an extra point!

Other entries

JayBlastOne
It's a neat idea but it still is essentially a simple rectangle with spheres on it. It wasn't nearly as detailed or complex as the other entries. I love the bright colors, though!
kjellkamp
Decent entry. I like the spires and that, but it felt like there was a lack of fine details compared to the other competitors. In a normal park thread this would be just fine, but in a competition setting, unfortunately the stakes are raised quite a bit!
Aces California & Johnycanon8
This week got away from you a bit and it shows. It's simply unfinished and lacking the refinement that this park has come to represent in the previous challenges. Hopefully you guys knock it out of the park for challenge 4.
Muserato
Another nice entry. It's lacking fine details and feels rather bare on the inside. I appreciate the custom shelves, but check out the pieces you've used--they're WAY out of scale compared to the peeps. Those in-game hats are never going to look believable in a gift shop.
Mikkiwasha & JakeC
I teetered back and forth about what to do for this entry. The interior is solid, the facades are solid, but it felt a bit simple compared to the runners up gift shops. You were on the edge for me for sure. Some of your images were a bit plain compared to others. The elevator is neat, though, as is the custom wallpaper.
CoastersPaul
It's a simple shop with a simple interior. It's decent, but there's a lot of details missing. The walls could use some pictures (or windows) and some lights on the inside would really go a long way. It just feels like it needs to be finished.

So that's how my vote went. I hope the helps you guys. To be fair, the difference between first place and runners up is really splitting hairs--as is evident from my votes thus far: my top 3 have been different (significantly so) each round. It's great to see so many amazing creations and even if you didn't earn extra points from me, I appreciate your hard work and dedication the competition! There's some really inspiring things being made (a few of these interiors I'm already copying in my own work (haha (don't be mad))). Good luck on challenge 4!