Billboards? Some questions...

• 12 replies

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
Billboards? Some questions...
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Just did some research for billboards I could need for my Marvel Studios.
But all pictures I use ingame on any billboard type are extremely bright and sometimes a bit blurry. I used only pictures with high quality. But even a simple MARVEL font is not that red ingame like the original...

Do I have to edit all my pictures for the perfect look? In case make them, all more dark?
And how do I know if the size of the pictures I use is the right size for the billboards?

Any advice for using billboards or film ingame would be very appreciated. Thank you very much!

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline Snowboarderss

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Billboards? Some questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I've heard that the best way to get a true color picture is to have it in the JPEG format. Hope that helps!  :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:44 AM »
There are 2 issues with billboard images being too bright

#1 is that there are 2 types of billboards, lit and unlit.  Lit (which sadly includes all the small TV-sized ones) are ALWAYS going to be rather bright due to the light shining through the image.  So be sure to use an unlit one if you don't want that.

#2 is that the image needs to have a specific coding in the JPEG that tells the game how to handle specularity.  Over on the official forums, the devs put up a thread explaining this setting (it's in the announcements topic), which is up to you when you create/edit the image in your editor.  I forget what it the specifics are, but it's something you need to set in Photoshop or whatever editor you're using.  If this setting is different, then the game won't do the specularity as you want and the color will be off.

The specularity setting requires some Photoshop-fu.  If you're not able to do that yourself (different editor, don't know how, etc.) and are using images taken from the web, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  It all depends on how the image was coded when it was created.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 10:06 AM »
The resolution in game is very low. So I've found that for a 2m x 4m billboard, I need to use a 500 pixel x 1000 pixel image, saved in high .jpg format, so the resolution looks halfway decent in game. Don't bother using .png, .tif, or any of the other formats, as they look way too washed out.

But despite following the guidelines put out by Frontier, I am still having issues with billboards. I still have to darken most images in Photoshop, but I had to do that in RCT3 as well, so I'm used to that. But, many times the image turns green in game after I darken it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows of a fix.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:08 AM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline seeker939

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I had washed out colors with every format I tried in Gimp and Paint. What finally worked was saving a copy of a jpg image with Windows 10 Photos.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:27 PM »
You have to use a specific color profile for the. Jpeg.  There's a thread about it on the official forums. 

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/25214-Summer-Update-How-to-use-Billboards/page5?p=197454&viewfull=1#post197454

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:38 PM by Fisherman »

Offline seeker939

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:46 PM »
You have to use a specific color profile for the. Jpeg.  There's a thread about it on the official forums. 

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/25214-Summer-Update-How-to-use-Billboards/page5?p=197454&viewfull=1#post197454

No idea what they're using but I don't have these options in my programmes. Also the screenshot is from a user saying he's still having contrast issues with images...

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Sorry... It's a couple of posts down.

sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I tried it and it worked for me... I use Photoshop

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41 PM »
I tried it and it worked for me... I use Photoshop

I have Corel PSP X4 (being too cheap for Photoshop).  The above is the default setting for that program when saving JPGs.  HOWEVER, either PSP does a bad job of it, or there's more to it than this, because I still have washed-out colors.

I'm slowly coming to the suspicion that the real problem here is really that the specularity of the billboard parts themselves is way too high.  When using UN-lit billboards, the images look just fine when the billboard is in the shade, even if that shade is inside a building and not behind terrain.  But put that same un-lit billboard in ambient sunlight and it's all washed out.  This is pretty symptomatic of the billboard itself being too reflective, so is acting as if it was "lit" and thus washing out the image on it.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 03:07 PM »
Thank you all for your feedback and expiriences with the billboards.

Sadly, I am not using Photoshop and I have no skills with the programm. I use Gimp or Photoscape. And I have to admit that I don´t understand everything they talking about.
I tried a lot with different settings but the images keep to bright and blurry. And I tried a lot of pics from the internet just to see if any one of them work for coincidence. But no one looks like the original image.

greetz
zeroG

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Thank you all for your feedback and expiriences with the billboards.
Sadly, I am not using Photoshop and I have no skills with the programm. I use Gimp or Photoscape. And I have to admit that I don´t understand everything they talking about.
I tried a lot with different settings but the images keep to bright and blurry. And I tried a lot of pics from the internet just to see if any one of them work for coincidence. But no one looks like the original image.

greetz
zeroG

yeah I got the same problem. Anyone knows how to solve this?
The images are much to bright. I'm trying it right now with the door slide billboard in a tunnel.
Even when reducing brightness,saturation and contrast it doesnt get better...

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 02:54 PM »
I edit the photos by lowering the exposure and messing with other setting like enhancing the colors, etc, It doesn't help totally, but they do turn out better when I do this.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 06:21 AM »
Also be sure that you're using an UN-lit billboard.  Many of them (all the screens) are lit, meaning they have an internal light that shines out through your image.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page