SGW Summer Competition 2017 - Challenge #5 (Winners Posted)

• 66 replies

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2017 - Challenge #5
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 12:39 PM »
Neverville
World of Wonders

Frosted Cups

Ok today it´s my first post regarding the competition. We are working hard on theming all flatrides right now and we can proudly present the first finished one in this post. We decided to use the Tea Cups flatride for our entry this time. It´s named Frosted Cups.

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 12:53 PM »
ooh, that's pretty.

I was planning to work on this on Sunday, but I got completely derailed (and I also hit a bit of creative block with regards to theming of this place).  Maybe I'll have time to do one tonight before the deadline, it might not be as pretty though.

Offline SHADOW

• I have gone by many names.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 01:12 PM »
That's amazing... Love it RCT D
Watch me Live on Twitch.tv or check out my videos on YouTube!  - Also can follow me on Twiter

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 02:07 PM »

Hey everyone,

here's my submission for challenge #5.

Between The Rancher and The Boomerang Boathouse is the Famer's Market.

This area is still largely under construction, but the contractors have managed to complete the refurb on the top spin, now called The Flying Fish.

The market will eventually be home to a selection of street food stalls but for now we just have this fresh fish buffet/grill, located by the entrance for the Flying Fish. Also worth noting here Steve is the typical client - promising to send me the assets for the screens around the park and then going cold on me.

A custom flying fish sign, with a splash zone for risk-averse guests who fancy getting a little damp.

And finishing up with some queue-line theming and an overview of the entire area. I really wanted to take so many screenshots for this round, the biggest challenge is the five picture limit. Your entry looks fantastic RCT D! Can't wait to see what other folks have come up with  ;D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Frosted Cups[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]Hehe, I would not like to be hit by one of those snowballs / maces :)[size=78%]
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 07:17 PM »
There was only time for one flat in this update, so Steve says at least. They made the carousel look much nicer, adding a cover to protect it and make it look pretty.

Steve told us he wanted something vintage, a throwback to the days he and his father spent at amusement parks.

He didn't buy a new carousel for the inside for some reason. Better carousels must be out of stock or something.

But even with the skimpy carousel, the inside is just as grand as the outside.

At night, what I can only assume is 5 Christmas Trees worth of string lights provide some nice accent lighting to the structure.

It looks most pretty at sunset in my opinion.

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 07:43 PM »
That is awesome Kinderly.

So I was pretty uninspired until today as I got off work, so I made this kinda quickly, but I think it came out nice.

Pic from the front

Pic from the lake

Night pic

Offline zappublishersltd

• Camelot! - It's only a .dat file - Shh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Challenge 5: zappublishersltd and CoastersPaul

What's this peeking out behind Hydra?  ::)

Steve was surprisingly impressed with the reimagining of the Boomerang into Hydra. So much so that he requested we begin retheming the entire area, starting with the old Teacups ride. Step into your very own chariot and take up the reins as you're twirled around the arena in this twisting family favorite!

The queue's shade structure has been updated to fit closer with the new theme of the area, as well as integrate some more green matter into a once-dead area.

And, uhh... another special request from Steve. Additional seating has been added along the exit path in case any guests need to "take a long ride on the bench" after this dizzying ride.

The creative team at Lakewood Gardens is proud to present: Chariot Races, opening late Summer 2017. Sign subject to change...

(Steve, I know we blew most of our budget on the Colosseum, but this sign has to go  :P)

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 08:35 PM »

CTRSind and I are proud to present "Ya Te Veo" This mythical man eating plant can be found in South America and its a sight to behold! Will you survive?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:54 PM by LoneWolf »
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 09:13 PM »
Any more entries coming?

Offline Jake C

• Stone cold Steve, 3:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 09:41 PM »
To: Steve Tucker
Date: 25/06/17

Dear Mr. Tucker,

Let me be the first to show you Sidewinder.

Once a large vehicle called the Sidewinder used for a deforestation project, now lays abandoned by the entrance to our national park area.

There was never an official reason as to why the project was abandoned however many believe stories of supernatural beings protecting the park.

A lot of these stories are based on people visiting the the exclusion zone and telling tales of the Sidewinder starting up as if it were trying to scare them off.

These days the area remains an exclusion zone and the Sidewinder has been overtaken by overgrown trees and plants.

We warn you, if you do take a trip to our national park, STAY CLEAR OF THE SIDEWINDER!

Sincerely,
Jake C and Mikiwasha
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:47 PM by Jake C »
I live in the NoLimits board, come stop by and say hi.

Offline Simtanic8

• Wait, which one are you again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 09:47 PM »
Ah! No time.  :O

Basically..... a carousel. Nuff said. Grand organ and more traditional pavilion covered in string lights to match entrance and shopping district.

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 12:06 AM »

La Alegira
This week, Esteban wanted us to tackle the smaller rides in the park. While we worked hard on many rides we wanted to take this opportunity to showcase progress on the main plaza. We wanted to go back to the simple but festive feel of the park. The result was a festive garden plaza with lush colorful landscaping.

As you enter the park Cielo Rider, the parks chair-swing ride, greats you with it's laughing guests and colorful decor.

As guest walk through the plaza and around the ride the colorful landscaping continues, with some Spanish decorative touches.

The entrance to the ride was kept simple, as to not take away from the ride itself and the surrounding area.

The que is covered by wood pergolas with wisteria growing up and over the structure. We wanted to add small details to capture that classy garden feel. We did this with small iron work.

I hope Esteban doesn't get upset about me showing off too much of our work we haven't finished yet, but we really wanted to showcase the overall area of the ride.
We hope you enjoyed this update of our current park remodel.
Stay festive my friends!
R&MR

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 02:38 AM »
WOW!

So much entries so much WOW!
Great work all, the snowball themed ride started with awesomenes following! Great work!

All this rides looks definitly #realer  ;)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 03:42 AM »
Thank god we didnt enter this week, so much good realism from everyone in display!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 04:22 AM »

Wow! Another batch of amazing entries.

TIDAL WAVE!  A massive wave has hit the city. It's total carnage as you're swept up in a wet, fiery vortex.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:31 AM by Nemmie »

Offline Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 04:59 AM »
what the fuck Nemmie  :scared: That is insaneeeeeeeeee! Amazing job!!  :up:

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39 AM »
ahahahaha Nemmie this is EPIC! Thats really a massive wave. maybe you could add a Shark that jumps out of the wave :P

Offline Simtanic8

• Wait, which one are you again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 05:51 AM »
I see a theme coming along, each week there is some vehicle bursting through something.  ;D

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Ya'll are crazy with these entries. Seriously what the hell. So much creativity on all ends of the spectrum. From good architectural design, to great area developement, to impressive concepts, everyone is blowing this out of the water.

Kinderly, your detailing on that structure is so elegantly done.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18 PM »
and all that work in just one week! This Community just rocks! :D

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2017, 10:18 AM »
I feel like I need a cigarette after looking at all of these. 

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2017, 04:51 PM »
We might need an extra judge for this challenge. If you'd like to be a "guest" judge, send me a pm. And no, you can't be a judge if you're an entrant. :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2017, 10:52 AM »
1st Place - Nemmie  - 32 pts

2nd Place - Kinderly & Grrt - 26 pts

3rd Place - mineraljunction - 25 pts

Scores for all the entrants
-Nemmie - 32
-Kinderly & Grrt - 26
-mineraljunction - 25
-RCT D! & zeroG - 22
-Simtanic8 - 21
-Muserato - 20
-Mikikiwasha & Jake C - 17
-LoneWolf & CTRSind - 16
-Ruby & _mister_MR_ - 12
-CoastersPaul & zappublishersltd - 10

Total scores for Challenges #1-#5
-LoneWolf & CTRSind - 122
-mineraljunction - 121
-Simtanic8 - 114
-Ruby & _mister_MR_ - 101
-Kinderly & Grrt - 95
-SPRidley & Adfo - 93
-Nemmie - 90
-RCT D! & zeroG - 84
-Mikikiwasha & Jake C - 77
-Muserato - 66
-johnycanon8 & AcesCalifornia - 46
-coasterkidjacob & Bullethead - 41
-CoastersPaul & zappublishersltd - 38
-Maylene & Andreizsmart - 34
-JayBlastOne - 26
-RCT-Cassie & CoasterCad - 22
-FreetheBear & n7 - 14
-elwindewitte - 10
-kjellkamp - 10
-sam_ - 10
-Dazzyls - 9

Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2017 - Challenge #5 (Winners Posted)
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how many pieces did everyone put into their entry? I guess >7,000 isn't enough with this level of competition, my computer's complaints aside :P

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2017, 12:22 PM »
This competition is still so open! I love it!

This was my favorite round until now. I was pleasently surprised by everyone's entry. Even the lowest ranked themed flat rides were worthy of winning this round hadn't all other rides been better.

Also, n7... Boooooo! :down:

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2017, 01:07 PM »

Gratz Nemmie!

Just out of curiosity, how many pieces did everyone put into their entry? I guess >7,000 isn't enough with this level of competition, my computer's complaints aside :P

Well, mine was only 890 parts. I needz Moer parts!!!  LOL. 

Seriously though, mine is super simple, and I put it together in like 3 hours.  I think I am getting more points from concept than from execution, but considering I'm pretty new at this, I am happy with the outcomes so far.   I do love getting the analysis by the judges.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:47 PM by Muserato »

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2017, 03:17 PM »
WOW!
I wasn't expecting that. Thanks so much. The entries were so amazing this week, I didn't think I'd stand a chance at the top spot. I also spent yesterday sequencing the full ride with water and fire. It's the first time I've done it and I can see what you all mean about the sequencer being clunky.
And CoasterPaul, mine had over 6400 pieces.

Offline Slalamander

• I used to be someone else
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2017, 06:54 AM »
Judges were complaining about the last challenge, that it was such a challenge to make a list? Well, this challenge was even harder. So here's a breakdown of my list:

1. Nemmie
When you posted your entry, I was sold immediately. It all just works together perfectly. The whole theme, with the wave, your backdrop (I would really like to know how you made those slanted buildings), the fire truck coming out of the building. It really is an incredible topspin, and in terms of surrounding is better than a lot of real life counterparts (like Talacon if you do not include the show).

2. ZeroG
From here, judging became really hard. I eventually put you guys second, after some harsh consideration. But well, these teacups are gorgeous. Albeit they do quite contrast with the trees in the background, this is a ride on par with Disney flatrides, and I could absolutely see this in some kind of Frozen-fantasyland.

3. mineraljunction
You made a gorgeous fishing village around your topspin. It looks a bit more less cartoonish than Nemmie's entry, but in this case that helped Nemmie. Not much else I can really complain about regarding your entry, it's just very pretty. My only complaint would be having the ride itself stand upon a body of water too, instead of only the part that's already in the ride itself. I am, however, unsure whether that is possible.

Runner up:
Simtanic8
Your entry and that of Kinderly are quite alike, although yours is a bit more whimsical, mostly on the inside. It's not neccesarily bad, but I do prefer Kinderly's version since the grandeur of the exterior is also felt in the interior.

JakeC
Excellent choice and execution of your theme. It's very well put away in the landscape too, it's just that there's some very harsh competion and yours just fell a bit short.

zappublishersltd
Not really the most detailed scenery, but the execution is okay-ish, and I like the idea of having teacups in an amfitheatre, which you did get across really well. Still, I'd advise on detailing your buildings and surroundings some more, since your entry could use a some more flair.

Muserato
As said, most points come from your concept. Your execution isn't neccesarily bad, however. It has a cool festival-ish vibe, and manages to stand out without being incredibly obnoxious.

Kinderly
As I mentioned in Simtanic's review, your entry has grandeur on the outside, which is very well integrated in that clean, but still awesome inside. Close to being in my top 3, but just a bit short.

Not placed:
Lonewolf:
I just... I did not really feel your entry. There's a few neat details, and it fits in its surroundings nicely, but nothing to make it stand out. It's just... there. I wouldn't advise looking into changing it, it in no way degrades your park. It just did not quite grab me as other did.

_mister_MR_
Mostly, the same as Lonewolf. It fits the area well enough, but just doesn't quite stand out among the other entries.

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2017, 07:09 AM »

Congrats Nemmie! Well deserved. This week was another case of there being something awesome in every entry. Kinderly & Grrt and Simantic, those covers are really amazing!