Photobucket images missing...and soon TinyPics too!

• 13 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Photobucket images missing...and soon TinyPics too!
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:16 AM »
EDIT:  News about TinyPic soon to close.  Scroll down a ways...

PhotoBucket has changed their rules, and no longer allows third-party image hosting with their 'free' accounts.  Any images previously posted using their free accounts will now be replaced with ugly error images. 

I was a longtime Premium account user with them, for over a decade, but their customer service has gotten horrible.  They earlier this year had problems with people being able to upload images claiming they didn't have time to fix the problem, yet had time to send repeated advertisements by email every couple of days.  Some one else came up with a work-around, I don't think PhotoBucket ever fixed the problem otherwise.

Since I am no longer as active as I once was, in fact I didn't even have more images stored than a free account allows, and since I was tired of paying for such poor service, I dropped the Premium account a couple months ago.  Everything was fine until I stumbled across previous threads full of screenshots that have now all been replaced with their error meme.  Some threads, like my park threads, or threads with links to scenery downloads, had dozens of screenshots...all now blocked.   I'm not the only one, I see some of Old-Spices screenshots have also been replaced, and likely others as well.

I apologize for the missing images, screenshots and other things, but since I won't give into their blackmail, the images won't be fixed, nor do I see any benefit in moving the screens elsewhere and having to replace dozens, if not hundreds, of links. 

If there's ever a screenshot that I posted that someone wants to see, just drop me a PM and I'll be happy to share it with you, I still have them, it's just the links that are blocked.

But I do NOT recommend using PhotoBucket anymore at all.   >:(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:10 PM by shyguy »

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket images missing?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44 AM »
What a shitty thing to do. Photobucket was pretty much the default way back in the day so I wonder how much stuff is truly lost now. Websites may have gone down but for the most part, the images were still hosted on the site.

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Yeah, I left Photobucket a few years ago when people began having troubles that their (monthly ?) bandwidth was exceeded. imgur.com has been an excellent, faster alternative for me.

Hopefully Photobucket will die now...

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:12 PM »
This is very sad, and maddening, as we will lose so many project screenshots throughout these forums and the RCT3 Archives.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 01:47 AM »
I have the same problem but what free photo hosting can we use now because I won't be paying $399 for a year as this is the only forum I use my pics on.

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:36 AM »
For the 2016 SSD my team used an imgur account and I used that ever since. It is so much faster and you don't get spammed with ads. There are ads but Uta's totally fine to do it the way they do. You don't have to watch a video each time you upload something. And they immediately give you all the image links to implement the image in a forum post so thats really handy as well.

Offline PandaCoasters

• The Grinch wearing a mask holding a gun
    • View Profile
    • PandaCoasters' Youtube
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Haven't used Photobucket in ages, Imgur was my go-to because of their bandwidth issues.

Sucks that a lot may be lost though :(
'I vote that my team makes Trump Land with a big fat wall from Boston's Dams so we can make SSD great again and keep out the illegal normies.'

-me, SSD'16

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Thanks I will create an account there than. I will update my pics in the topic of my newest park but the old ones I don't know about that. The archive is an archive in my opinion.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 03:55 PM »
https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

If you want to continue using that feature then a Photobucket Plus 500 subscription is required. It costs $39.99 per month or $399 per year.

Not only is that very expensive, it means existing Photobucket accounts on lower subscriptions tiers will have any embedded images they've created in the past cease to work. Considering Photobucket has been around since 2003 and hosts over 10 billion images, that's potentially millions of embedded images across the Internet being broken thanks to a policy change.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't go belly-up soon, which means images and screenshots stored there even if you can't link to them will also be lost.  *Sigh*  Guess I'd better go through and pick out really needs to be saved...

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:42 PM »
The moment their site became a clusterf*** of ads that you couldn't do anything without a new popup or video playing I stopped. I knew they'd drive their customer's away and then charge the remaining ones left to bail them out.
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Rather than start a new thread, I just dug up this one as it's connected...

Another photo hosting site - TinyPic - has announced that it will be closing.  Photos and screenshots hosted there are still safe...for now.  But TinyPics was bought by PhotoBucket, so following the previous steps from a couple years ago, they are encouraging everyone to purchase a Premium Plan through them as they "can no longer afford to host files for free" at TinyPics.

No doubt this will lead to another round of older threads with missing images...

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket images missing...and soon TiunyPics too!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 04:39 PM »
I will probably just restart some of my topics because for most of my projects I used tinypic. I have all the photos on my personal facebook, but it would be a pain to go through and put them through imgur. I have transferred to imgur, but not enough to warrant all the empty spaces.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket images missing...and soon TinyPics too!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Just to bring this topic back to life because today is the day. I recommend imgur for images. Most of my projects have rolled over to this site, but I am looking into redoing the topics.

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket images missing...and soon TinyPics too!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 10:06 AM »
I remember the days of using imagshack and unfortunately a lot of my old projects are gone forever. It's a bit sad; if only I could have backed those pictures up. I only have a youtube video that has some pictures luckily.