Coney Island 1950 - Acknowledgements!

• 395 replies
Coney Island 1950 - Acknowledgements!
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:15 PM »
A little tease of what's on the drawing board;

Special shout out to Fisherman and JPAlmighT for some of their workshop materials. Hope to keep plugging away at this.

Any guesses?

Can't believe I'm back to school next week, and the kids arrive a week later. This is the first year we are starting before Labor Day.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:16 AM by citytrader »

Re: Coming someday, I hope!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27 PM »
I hope more is coming soon as well.  :)

It's in the U.S., possibly a boardwalk, and takes place in the past (maybe?)...  I'm going for one of the old Coney Island parks?

My sister teaches elementary school and those kids showed up for class this past Monday, so you got a couple more weeks than some.  But I always thought it was dumb to start before Labor Day as well.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:48 PM »
So close...  :)

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Blue sky, light breeze, and miles of Boardwalk;

The Palace of Fun has rides and attractions for all ages;

Again, thanks to Fisherman for his Waltzer! I just removed the spire on top, and it makes a perfect centerpiece.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Since nobody else has guessed, I'm taking another stab.  Since there's a Wrigley's sign I'm going to guess Chicago's Navy Pier. 

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Go East, young man!

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:22 PM »
This is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Boardwalks always have a nice aesthetic to them, and from what has been shown so far, you seem to be capturing it well. I'll save my final judgement when there's more. :P

My guess is the Atlantic City Boardwalk. That and whatever is in Ocean City are the only two east coast boardwalks I can think of.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 06:57 PM »
This city's boardwalk was always and still is famous for it's hundreds of Prams rolling up and down the boards!

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 07:41 AM »
A quick google search later, and I think I'm in agreement with Kinderly: Atlantic City? Found a pic or two that looks a lot like this one. I love your historical parks. I especially enjoy your billboards, haha. Lookin' forward to more of this.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 12:11 PM »
Very nicely done boardwalk area.  That soothing syrup sounds nice about now, especially with some rum in it ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Holy Muther!!!!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 04:47 PM »
The closest I've been to Atlantic City is while watching the show, Boardwalk Empire a few years back.:P And that's the vibe I'm getting from this park.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 07:32 PM »
This is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I see some of the other stuff posted here, and you cross your fingers that you measure up!

My guess is the Atlantic City Boardwalk. That and whatever is in Ocean City are the only two east coast boardwalks I can think of.

A quick google search later, and I think I'm in agreement with Kinderly: Atlantic City?

The closest I've been to Atlantic City is while watching the show, Boardwalk Empire a few years back. :P And that's the vibe I'm getting from this park.

I think JP guessed first, but yup, you guys are too quick! Atlantic city it is! Nice catch Shy, I am using a lot of reference photos from Boardwalk Empire, as well as historic archives.

Very nicely done boardwalk area.  That soothing syrup sounds nice about now, especially with some rum in it ;)
Ha! Mrs Winslows soothing syrup is actually a patent medicine that the American Medical Association labeled a baby killer! It contained morphine and ammonia! Unbelievable!

So I have no accurate maps to go by, so I'm just sort of creating a "photo mural" collage of Atlantic City, taking bits from various photographs and other references I can find. At this point, I am not planning to do the Steel Pier, but that could change as I move forward.

Here's a couple of hotel facades;

One of the dozens of small buildings that line the boardwalk selling food;

To the left is the Olde MIll. More on that later!

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 07:47 PM »
I only guessed it by narrowing down the continent with my 2 incorrect guesses!   :P

And I think it's smart going this route instead of something more familiar with an abundance of photographs... you get to put your own spin on it while following a loose outline, best of both worlds.

Speaking of which, I'm just loving everything so far.  The trams are very inspired, and all of those hotels and other buildings are really going to create that feeling of immersion.  (<--for some reason I don't think I spelled that right, you know what I mean...)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:26 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Ha! Mrs Winslows soothing syrup is actually a patent medicine that the American Medical Association labeled a baby killer! It contained morphine and ammonia! Unbelievable!

Like I said, it would be good with some rum :).  BTW, have you ever watched the "Adam Ruins Everything" episode on nutritional supplements?  Same old snake oil as before the FDA.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Re: Coming someday, I hope! Atlantic City 1930!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Thanks guys!

Not 100% finished, but here's the Wiltshire Hotel;

And my recreation:

I thought I would tackle one of the easier hotels first. Some of those hotels were unbelievable!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Looks pretty good, although you have 1 too many floors I think (geez, this is a long story).  I have some questions, though (understand, I know NOTHING of Atlantic City).  Anyway, it's hard to tell from that old postcard, but it kinda looked to me like both the front porch and the stacked bay windows going up the front wall had angled corners.  But it looks like you built them square.  So before mentioning this, I googled the hotel to see if I could find other pics of it to make sure.  There aren't many, but they show the building changed somewhat in appearance over time.  And sadly, the hotel no longer exists so I couldn't use the street view :) .

Anyway, here's the situation as best I can tell.  It's based on the following info:

*  1907 Pic:  https://www.amazon.com/Wiltshire-Hotel-Atlantic-Luxury-Lodging/dp/B005DH19QO

*  1913 Pic:  http://www.auctions.glasstrio.com/stuff/o/o_nj_ac_wilt_124350.jpg

*  1920s Pic??:  https://picclick.com/Old-Postcard-Wiltshire-Hotel-Atlantic-City-NJ-Metropolitan-142461831350.html.  NOTE:  This was still Model T days, but there was now electricity and the lots to either side had been built up now, compared to the 1913 pic.

*  Your Pic seems to date from 1930-1945, see here:  https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:x920gb54j

So, things appear to be as follows:

1.  Stacked Bay Windows
These do appear to have had angled corners at all times.

2.  Roof Changes
Originally, the building was 6 floors, all the same height from front to back of the building, under a pitched roof with dormer windows.  At some point after 1913, the outer walls were raised 1 floor level to enclose the attic and convert it into a 7th guest floor.  This was covered by a flat roof with parapet wall, the parapet not protruding as much as the eaves of the former flat roof.

3.  Floor Level Changes
At some point after 1913, the front end of the building was rebuilt with greater space between the floors.  It remained 7 stories but was taller to a depth of 3 rooms than the rest of the building, which retained its original height.  While this was going on, this rebuilt area was also made wider to match the extension of the lower 2 floors (see Porch Changes below).

4.  Porch Changes
Originally, the front porch had square corners even with the sides of the main building and had pairs of narrow columns with open railings.  In addition, it had a protruding central section with curved stairs to either side down to street level.  At some point between 1913 and the 1920s, the porch was extended on the left side to be wider than the building, and got an angled corner where this extension joined the original front porch.

At some later time, the porch was extensively rebuilt, probably when the front end of the building was rebuilt as described above.  At this time, the porch was extended on the right side to match the left, also gaining an angled corner.  At the same time, the protruding central area and stairs were removed and the paired columns replaced with singles.  The lower 2 floors were also extended to the right to match the new width of the porch, thus creating a step in the previously flush right wall.

After all these changes, the building assumed the appearance of your pic :)

===========================================

Damn, that was really getting away from the stuff I wanted to do this morning :D .  All I wanted to do was read the forum.  How did I get sucked down this rabbit hole?  It all started as just an attempt to see if the building's corners really were angled.  Now my head is full of a bunch of info about a building I never heard of before and which no longer exists.  WHY?!?!?!?   :scared:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Excited for this! I think I remember your RCT3 take on this.. If I'm thinking of the right park, I really enjoyed the mega hall with funhouse attractions and carnival rides.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 03:46 AM »
Thank you guys!

Geez, bullethead, I honestly don't know what to say. I feel guilty you went to all that trouble! I guess I better not use the word recreation any more! BTW, not sure if you noticed, but the angled corner of the patio is on the right side, as that is where the street corner was going to be.

TMH, Thank you. I think you may be thinking of my Coney Island recreation (oops, there's that word again!)

So after tons of experimentation and a little soul searching (yes, I actually have one of those), I have decided that Atlantic City really didn't have the kind of vibe that I wanted to recr.... put my own spin on, so I have decided to take TMH's suggestion and move a about 150 miles north, and get to work on one of my favorite spots in amusement park history, Coney Island!

Having visited countless times, and seen both the ups and the downs of the area, as well as having created an enormous RCT2 version, I think this might prove to be a lot more fun. Bonus is there are no ginormous hotels to deal with!

Here's Surf Avenue between 12th and Henderson walk, which includes the Popper building, the El Dorado Auto Scooters (bump your a** off), and the Childs Restaurant;

I noticed the hanging brick on the top floor of the Popper building after I took the pic, and that has been fixed.

I have 11 square city blocks to build out, and I have completed one half of one block! Let's see where this goes!

Thanks to fisherman and CTRSind for their workshop items. I will be utilizing a lot of other people's stuff to get this homage to Coney completed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:51 AM by citytrader »

Re: Coney Island 1950!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 05:31 AM »
I remember researching Coney a few years back for something in RCT3, so this location will be at least a little more familiar to me than Atlantic City.  I'm liking how you've adapted it so far, the Popper's building is gorgeous.  I will miss those little prams though, that was so clever.

I assume we'll be getting a Cyclone? 

Cheers to hoping you find all the time (and CPU resources) you need to make this look exactly how you want it.  I'll be waiting patiently, er, impatiently, for more :)

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Having experience building the same thing in other games always helps. I know this will be great!

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Hey CT! As a kid, I use to live a few train stops away and we'd hit there every weekend. Your boardwalk is looking amazing!  Giving me the nostalgic blues, but in a good way.  ;D  Can't wait for the Cyclone!  Are you going to add the Tornado and original wooden Thunderbolt?  I still remember Spook-A-Rama, Dragon's Cave and the Magic Carpet Funhouse.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Geez, bullethead, I honestly don't know what to say. I feel guilty you went to all that trouble! I guess I better not use the word recreation any more! BTW, not sure if you noticed, but the angled corner of the patio is on the right side, as that is where the street corner was going to be.

Don't feel bad.  My job has me studying buildings a lot, both tactically in trying to anticipate what would happen if they catch fire and how I'd fight that, and strategically in trying to figure out how to keep the fires from happening and which year's version of the codes apply to them.  Renovations over time make both aspects more challenging and require further research.  So before I knew it, my work mindset kicked and I was analyzing the building as if it was in my jurisdiction :).

So after tons of experimentation and a little soul searching (yes, I actually have one of those), I have decided that Atlantic City really didn't have the kind of vibe that I wanted to recr.... put my own spin on, so I have decided to take TMH's suggestion and move a about 150 miles north, and get to work on one of my favorite spots in amusement park history, Coney Island!

I like what you're doing so far.  But I hope this wasn't because of something I said ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 11:01 AM »
This is delightful, Rich! I love everything so far.

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Thank you all!

Yes, I do plan on recreating the Cyclone, Tornado Bobs, and the Thunderbolt. (Heaven help me!)

Not much progress, but here's a few shots;

One of several dark rides spread around the area, the Ghost Castle on the Bowery;

Some small concessions on 12th Street;

Some more near the Wonder Wheel;

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Many people don't realize that Coney Island was A; not an island, and B; not an amusement park!

At one point in time, Coney was a series of islands, however, it was filled in naturally by tidal forces and man made canals until sometime in the 16 or 1700's it became a single peninsula at the southern end of Brooklyn. The original Dutch settlers named the area conyn island, probably due to the enormous colonies of wild rabbits in the area. When the English took over, the name was Anglicized to coney.

Despite having some of the most famous amusement parks in U.S. history, the legendary Dreamland, fabulous Luna Park, and most famously Steeplechase Park, Coney was really just a set of ordinary city streets and buildings converted to the entertainment industry. Vacant lots were rented to construct dozens of different rides and attractions, some of which changed on a yearly or even monthly basis. Storefronts were cannibalized into dark rides, theatres, side shows, burlesque halls, funhouses, and other amusements. Some of the rides lasted for decades (the Wonder Wheel, Spook-A-Rama), and some came and went quicker than a jack rabbit on a date.

A few examples;

Here's the Dragon's Cave dark ride. Notice the apartment windows directly behind the facade;

The Magic Carpet fun house was a delicatessen before being converted;

A series of garages would sub-let 10 by 10 spaces to any vendor willing to pay the fees. This still goes on today!

More Coney Island soon!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Many people don't realize that Coney Island was A; not an island, and B; not an amusement park!

I try to learn something new every day.  Thanks for filling my quota before I had to work for it :)  I look forward to learning more about this famous not-a-park.  I had no idea.

A series of garages would sub-let 10 by 10 spaces to any vendor willing to pay the fees. This still goes on today!

23% of guests think "This litter is disgusting".  I guess the other 77% are natives so are used to it :D
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Glad you learned something new!

The litter is the norm out there. They have tried hundreds of revitalization projects, but the place is still basically a dump.

Now it's easier to understand why theme parks became so popular.

Anyway, here's a couple of iconic structures. The Childs restaurant on Surf Avenue prepared over 3000 meals a day! Today the building houses the Coney Island Museum and Historical Society;

The real thing;

The World of Wax Musee opened in 1926 and remained open until the mid 1980's. The structure itself stood on the Bowery, but was demolished several years ago. Here's the structure before getting the Wax overlay;

I have decided that I am going to lay out the famous or known buildings first, then go back and utilize filler buildings to flesh out the blocks. Don't worry, the roller coasters are coming!

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Thank you for the history lesson! I've always been fascinated by the organization of Coney Island within the city streets ever since seeing this picture years ago:

Excited for the dark ride.