Hethetheth vs. iEddiez: 20 x 20 challenge.

• 21 replies

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
Hethetheth vs. iEddiez: 20 x 20 challenge.
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:35 AM »

Hi everyone,

During this lockdown period iEddiez and I talked about doing a collaboration. Instead, something else came up: a competition.

First Challenge

We decided to challenge each other to make the best park we could with only a 20 x 20 grid in Planet Coaster.

The rules:

The park must have one coaster, one non-coaster ride, an eatery and toilets as a minimum.
The whole park must be contained within a standard Planet Coaster 20 x 20 grid.

Simple premise!

Both parks are work-in-progress at the moment, but we thought we'd share.

---------

Park 1 - Hethetheth (AKA HS Designs)

Rustica

So far this park has 2 coasters, a flat ride and a dark ride. All of these remain unfinished at present! I wanted to try and cram in a tiny dark ride, which is really quite hard. The two coasters were easier to fit in. The theme is sort of an industrial / rocky aesthetic rather than a 'story'.

I'll leave it to iEddiez to show off his creation now :)

Heth
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:37 AM by Hethetheth »

Offline iEddiez

• Curly Hair, Glasses and a Sense of Humour
    • View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
Re: Hethetheth vs. iEddiez: 20 x 20 challenge.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Thanks for starting this one Heth.

It's true, we have decided to run a head to head challenge. Heth and I have been friends now for a number of years in the real world and we are yet to do something together in the digital realm. Well, here we go. A challenge that Heth will undoubtedly win!

So here is my offering in this challenge.

---------

Park 2 - iEddiez

Venti Kingdom

Set inside the castle walls you can enjoy two coasters, four flat rides and a few eateries!

See you soon!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 04:29 PM »
OooOOoh! A competition; what an excellent idea! (Better than doing unfortunate things to the cat while we're all cooped up, anyway... sorry Kitty.) Well, obviously iEddiez wins, hands down. He has 5 images while Hethetheth has only 4; a no-brainer. :P

Seriously though, both parks are looking great so far. This is still a WIP? What's left to do, and where are you going to do it?.. Up, I suppose. (Or maybe down, underground.)

Rustica: I enjoyed the overhead views so we could get our bearings. And I liked how you sectioned off the outer perimeter into 1-tile blocks so we get a better sense of the sizes of things. I like how you incorporated the rockwork and foliage throughout he park; makes for a cohesive theme. I really like that colorful and somewhat mysterious dark ride pic. I wanna see more of that.

Venti Kingdom: (Venti=20; I actually got that. :D) No overview pic, BUT, so full of movement, color, and excitement! I like the park entrance with 2 (count 'em), 2 draw bridges. I like how the drop tower ride is themed to look like one of the castle towers, but with see-through walls, not solid. And there still seems to be quite a bit of roominess inside despite the complex layout.

Offline Supernovae

• Celebrating creating
    • View Profile
    • Supernovae Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:33 AM »
Both parks are looking promising. What a challenge to do this on such a poststamp size!
I'm a little bit puzzled about the layout of both coasters in Rustica. I think I have spotted one shuttle and a full cirquit? Alltough I'm not very sure what to expect at the end of this shuttle (turn point) as the spike is behind the station. Also like the industrial style.

At Venti Kingdom: Entrance looks nice already. Also a shuttle coaster and a full cirquit. Did not manage to figure out the layout for the full cirquit coaster but it seems short and quit intense.

So what are you going to do next. Level up or diggin in? 
On paper we have the best team of the world! It's a pitty we don't play on paper...

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Have to agree. This will prove to be quite an interesting challenge.

Also agree that both parks are superb!

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 12:26 PM »

My answer is very much to level up!

I've continued work on my 20 x 20 park, Rustica. The dark ride is nestled under other rides and rockwork, and no rides are underground.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:28 PM by Hethetheth »

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Nearly done with my 20 x 20 park, Rustica!

2 coasters (Diesel Power and Switchback)
1 dark ride (Copper Caves)
3 flat rides (Gears of Power, Propeller and Titan Tower)
eateries
drinks
toilets

It's feeling very full and can't wait to complete it.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 03:37 AM »
That Victorian/Steampunk look - You really got that down beautifully. Very creative use of your vertical space!

Not in love with the castle theme (sorry), however, love how expertly you are also taking advantage of the vertical space, especially the "seee-through" drop tower.

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 07:26 AM »
That Victorian/Steampunk look - You really got that down beautifully. Very creative use of your vertical space!

Not in love with the castle theme (sorry), however, love how expertly you are also taking advantage of the vertical space, especially the "seee-through" drop tower.

Thanks for your comment. You said a mean thing and then called me an expert.. I will take that!  :'(

I knew when I said yes to this that Heth would walk it  :blush:

Right, my update...

Not much has changed, but they live underwater, but I have added some signage around the Kingdom.

Look... Knights and a round table!

I placed a little 'secret' under the station of Joust!, sleeping drats.

Venti Kingdom is;

Joust! - Shuttle Coaster
Excalibur - El Loco style Coaster
Watchtower - Launched Drop Tower
Knights of the Round Table - Hyperspin ride
Executioner - Insanity ride

Three eateries and four toilets. I think I need to add in some drink outlets though.. I seem to have missed those.

Cheers!

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 08:25 AM »
Thanks for your comment. You said a mean thing and then called me an expert..

I meant absolutely no disrespect...I'm just not a fan of castles!!!  ;D

LOVE the round table! Very funny! (Better check the glasses though, it's actually an octagon!)  :)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 02:45 PM »
^ Quote: "(Better check the glasses though, it's actually an octagon!)".  Better check your glasses, citytrader. It's actually a hexagon. :P

But it looks round enough for me. I actually laughed when I saw the knights standing awkwardly around that teensy table. I like your sword-in-the-stone Excalibur entrance. Still wondering about the "but they live underwater" bit; hmm. What, may I ask, are drats??? A mashup of dragons and rats? Are they in-game items?

I, for one, like castles. :D  Especially when they have theme parks inside them.

And in Hethetheth's Rustica park, I like how the coaster supports (and other elements) have a distinctly graphite-looking appearance. Really adds to the gritty, industrial theme.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 02:51 PM »
tou·ché!

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 01:43 AM »
Settle down, settle down.

I made a video that documented my build.

It's a long one mind;

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 03:22 PM »
Since I watched/listened to the whole thing, I guess that makes me absolutely, positively, 100% mental. :P  (And I am, of course.)

Dig the Tiki bar, soft jazz music.

It was nice hearing your thinking (or lack thereof :D) as you built the park; building something, deciding it just doesn't look right, then building it again or removing it.

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 01:22 AM »
Since I watched/listened to the whole thing, I guess that makes me absolutely, positively, 100% mental. :P  (And I am, of course.)

Dig the Tiki bar, soft jazz music.

It was nice hearing your thinking (or lack thereof :D) as you built the park; building something, deciding it just doesn't look right, then building it again or removing it.

JB, I have to say, you are mental if you watched the whole thing but I really do appreciate it.

That's how I've always built in PlanCo. I tend not to plan, maybe that says alot(?!) but that's the beauty of the game isn't it?

Heth puts an insane amount of thought and detail into his creations and that's something I have never learnt from him.

Maybe I will for Challenge II?  :whistling:

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Neaaaaaaarly there...

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 03:23 PM »
And I'm finished!

Rustica is complete and on steam!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2105523318&fbclid=IwAR1LrRlvG4PwgBDfWAfU5FKujUu__mjsjwkkRMmkkknT65XnFkvJJzb-MKs

Rides:

- Coal Cannon - Intamin launched coaster
- Copper Caves - dark ride
- Switchback - Shuttle coaster
- Titan Tower - drop tower
- Propellor - flat ride
- Gears of Power - flat ride

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Yep. Definitely looks like a Hethetheth park. :)   All the telltale signs are there: Sinuous coasters curving around, through, and above buildings and structures, lots of industry (both gritty and shiny), lots of pseudo-science bits scattered around. I'd worry about that locomotive dangling over my head. It's probably made of lightweight fiberglass, but still. :D

I'm struck by the contrast between the saturated colors of the Copper Caves interior (beautiful!) and the rest of the park, which has a palette of many muted colors.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 02:07 AM »
POV videos for all 3 tracked rides.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:29 AM by Hethetheth »

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Here is my entry;

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 02:14 PM »
I really love the theme on that loop flat ride

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 01:05 AM »
Thanks! I've been clinging onto that skin for quite some time before actually using it!