Coney Island 1950

• 292 replies
Re: Coney Island 1950!
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Ah, yes, the Tornado Bobs!

In the classic Woody Allen film "Annie Hall", Woody Allen grew up in one of the houses under the Bobs. Every few minutes his house would shake apart! Funny stuff! I have started on the coaster, and to be honest, I'm already a bit frustrated. Track is just not coming together the way it should.

I also had a favor/request. I'm using the Psycholo to substitute for the old Herschell Looper, but I would love to find something to cover over the brain. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:08 PM by citytrader »

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2017, 06:28 AM »
Coney Island at night;

Some parts of town are a little scary;

The Bowery;

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:40 AM by citytrader »

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2017, 07:02 AM »
Good use of lighting, especially that last shot.  Nice constrast between the warm aura when you're standing on the street vs. the sterile white lights above.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 05:32 AM »
The lighting has a nice "Bogart movie" vibe to it ;)  I try for that sort of look myself sometimes.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Thank you both! I was just sort of going for a typical city street look!

Coney Island has always been a popular destination for city dwellers!

Vehicles courtesy of Wings & Strings on the workshop. Incredibly detailed cars! Just beautiful!

One of the newest concessions on the Bowery was built by the JPAlmighT Amusement Company. With their kind permission, the new Tickler ride is a big hit and really fits right in! And at only a quarter, it's a huge hit with the peeps!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Those vintage cars add the perfect touch to this park. Everything looks great, as always.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2017, 10:01 AM »
So flattering!  And you made it look good too, cleaned up the front and raised it up.  A great fit for this park.

But those cars are really amazing... may have to download them just to see how they did that

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 05:45 AM »
Love how this project is coming along - really cool to see streets and cars and urban buildings surrounded by rides and attractions like this. Keep up the good work!

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 03:00 PM »
Thank you guys! I absolutely agree, those vehicles really make the streets look like streets!

Coney Island gets racey!!!

"Step right up and see the world's most beautiful women in all their glory!"

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 07:35 PM »
The Spooks Dark Ride was located in a prominent spot right on the Bowery next to the Tornado Bobs.

Here is the actual ride;

I kind of like my recreation a little better;

At night;

Comments always welcome!

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 06:34 AM »
I like your re-creation better as well.

And also, now I really want to fill my bathtub with wine  :P

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 08:04 PM »
I like your re-creation better as well.

And also, now I really want to fill my bathtub with wine  :P
Part of her act was actually taking a shower in wine (probably colored water) but I'm sure very sexy. Burlesque was pretty cool!  ::)

Spooks is complete and open for business!

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Back in the day, Fascination was one of the most popular games on the Boardwalk. There were no less than eight buildings in Coney Island that had Fascination arcades. Think of it as a cross between bingo and skee ball. Wildwood NJ has one of the only parlors still in business today.

Beach towels, sunblock and shades all available for sale;

Hershell's Looper occupied a corner lot at 12th and the Bowery;

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Oh, hello! What's this little beauty? I love it already. It's got that distinctive citytrader charm and nostalgia to it. Can't wait to see some more! :)
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Oh, hello! What's this little beauty? I love it already. It's got that distinctive citytrader charm and nostalgia to it. Can't wait to see some more! :)
Thank you so much! It's comments like yours that make my day!

The aptly named pretzel was somewhere in Coney Island (not sure where) but it seemed like a perfect cheap little concession to recreate;

My recreation;

At night;

A small mirror castle and a German Beirgarten;

Coney Island could sure get crowded!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 05:00 PM »
This absolutely kicks but citytrader! Loving the fascination, and yes Wildwood does have one and I want to try it badly since I'm in PA. Your darkrides are fascinating (get it? lol) that DLC came at the right time ID say with those new cars! Loving the vintage cars you have as well! Keep it up!
Wagibear "It is entirely possible that Atari will attend in a different way than as a exhibitor. Someone may park their van outside the Convention Center entrance with a big Atari RCTw banner draped in the front window.  Or maybe Mattlab will dress in a trenchcoat and approuch anyone with a PRESS badge and whisper  "Psst!  Hey, wanna see a new video game?"... "

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2017, 05:15 PM »
This absolutely kicks but citytrader! Loving the fascination, and yes Wildwood does have one and I want to try it badly since I'm in PA. Your darkrides are fascinating (get it? lol) that DLC came at the right time ID say with those new cars! Loving the vintage cars you have as well! Keep it up!

Thanks! The cars really make the city look great! They are from Wings & Strings.

Just a few random shots from around Coney Island;

The Red Baron doesn't appear to be open today;

One of several smaller roller coasters in the area, this one is modeled after Steve Franks (remember him?) Jazz Railway. I think it turned out pretty nicely!

Washington Baths is one of a dozen or so bath houses that line the boardwalk;

Every town needs a laundry and a market, right?

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 08:45 PM »
I don't know why, but I really like that little alley between the Laundry and Market. And I agree, Jazz Railway turned out nicely!
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2017, 04:25 AM »
Those cars... hot damn, best cars ive ever seen made in Planet Coaster.
The idea of this park is amazingly great!

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2017, 06:44 AM »
Thank you so much guys! The cars really make the streets look like streets, don't they? I did not make them, the vehicles are courtesy of Wings & Strings on the workshop. Incredibly detailed cars! Just beautiful!

Glad you like the alley. I simply combined two fences, leaving a gap in the middle which is the gate;

There are a lot of alleys. Some are almost a little scary!

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Those last two shots felt very real.   Almost TOO real  :scared:

I really like the way you know just where to stop with the architectural theming... not overdoing it, within the what would've been realistic for buildings in this neighborhood in this time period.  All the needed details are there, but in all the right places. 

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Those last two shots felt very real.   Almost TOO real  :scared:

I really like the way you know just where to stop with the architectural theming... not overdoing it, within the what would've been realistic for buildings in this neighborhood in this time period.  All the needed details are there, but in all the right places. 

Thank you so much! What I do is employ google earth a lot. I travel around at street level in older cities or the target area, and then try to copy some of the architecture I find. You can find all sorts of interesting buildings! It works pretty well, I think. The coney market, for instance, is sort of inspired by 1528 Mermaid Avenue in Coney Island.

About four square blocks are complete!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:24 PM by citytrader »

Offline Tomes

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 06:50 PM »
I really like this so far.  Old timey parks are my absolute favorite.  The wooden coaster looks awesome!

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 06:04 PM »
Wow! This is beautiful. It definitely captures the 50s Coney Island look (I've never been; only seen photos online :( ). I really like that you are able to keep the buildings on a smaller scale like it would be in real life.  :up:
formerly Catgrrl on Atari forums

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Mand that shot in the open dark alleway looks like people from the mafia are going to start a shoot out agaisnt policeman hahaha Super nice.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I love this project. Just one question, which you may or may not have stated already...Is this an accurate recreation of Coney Island, or re-imagining of it?
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 06:19 PM »
I really like this so far.  Old timey parks are my absolute favorite.  The wooden coaster looks awesome!

Thanks Tomes!Glad you like the Jazz Railway. One of these days I'll be posting the Thunderbolt, the Tornado Bobs, and the Cyclone!

Wow! This is beautiful. It definitely captures the 50s Coney Island look (I've never been; only seen photos online :( ). I really like that you are able to keep the buildings on a smaller scale like it would be in real life.  :up:

Thank you. I really enjoy the challenge of "building small". Almost all of Coney Island is one and two stories tall. Or was back in the day. That's why the parachute drop and Dreamland Tower seemed so huge, because they really were in comparison to the buildings around them. Even today, there are a number of high rise co-ops around, but most of the area is one and two story buildings.

Mand that shot in the open dark alleway looks like people from the mafia are going to start a shoot out agaisnt policeman hahaha Super nice.

Thanks! But everyone knows the mafia is up at Brighton Beach, the next borough over!

I love this project. Just one question, which you may or may not have stated already...Is this an accurate recreation of Coney Island, or re-imagining of it?

Well, define accurate.

I have a number of old maps and photos of the area, and the internet of course is chock full of old photos and even movies of Coney. When I can accurately pinpoint a ride or attraction, I place it in the proper place. The iconic roller coasters, Nathans Hot Dogs, the Wonder Wheel, and the bath houses will all be correctly placed.

Some things are pretty boring or near impossible to recreate in PC, so I re-imagine those (see Spooks dark ride in post 40), while others, like the Pretzel ride, (post 45), I have several pics, but no known location, so I shoehorned it in where I thought it worked. I also had to make it a bit wider because of the width of the station of the new Pretzel ride.

Finally, most of these structures are now gone, so all I have are photos and film, almost all of which are in black and white, therefore color choice is usually totally mine.

The Zipper and the Whip on Jones Walk;

Offline InfiniteChaos

• InfiniteChaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2017, 05:38 AM »
Looks really good! I haven't said much on here, but I have been kind of silently watching the project, it just gets better and better with each passing day!

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Lol, I can't believe you still put up with Photobucket. Might I suggest imgr? It's much nicer (and faster). As for the picture itself, that custom flat is looking nice. Is that your own design?

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Wow, how did I miss this?! This is incredible, Citytrader. It all looks very authentic.