Coney Island 1950 -Update 8/17 - Wagi strikes again!

• 437 replies

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Coney Island 1950 - Acknowledgements!
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Quote: "Why won't the new shops next to Feltman's last long?"

Because the Stay Puft marshmallow man will grow to gigantic size and trample the whole neighborhood flat, obviously. ;)

I like that overhead view of the coaster- 4 layers of track stacked on top of each other! And, is that eagle balloon always on top of the Flying Eagles ride? This is the first time I've seen it there, yet it's such a natural place for it. (Sorry, I don't have the game, so sometimes I ask questions with obvious answers.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:44 PM by JB »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2019, 05:24 PM »
This looks so nice, Rich!

« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Why won't the new shops next to Feltman's last long?  I love historical accuracy but I certainly hope you don't plan to burn this place down!   :'( :scared:

Well, Coney Island was (and still is) a very fluid place. Most businesses and rides usually only last a season or two, many even less than that. Feltmans could also serve 10,000 meals at a sitting, so I don't think a couple of tiny shops will last long next to them!

Quote:I like that overhead view of the coaster- 4 layers of track stacked on top of each other! And, is that eagle balloon always on top of the Flying Eagles ride? This is the first time I've seen it there, yet it's such a natural place for it. (Sorry, I don't have the game, so sometimes I ask questions with obvious answers.)

Yeah, I added it recently, as well as a "now open" sign on the eagle, so it appears to be a new ride.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 11, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Skiphaul Industries got the contract for that tear down job on the Bowery, and are clearing out the lot;

This, like the ride under construction, is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing.  They show the circle of life and make the place and make it more alive.

Fantastic job Bullethead!

Thanks!  I enjoyed the challenge.  You did all the really hard stuff, getting it to fit the footprint and working around the damnable PC station, I mostly just took same sandpaper to it :).  I'm very flattered you let me contribute so directly to this epic project :D

I was fortunate enough to take a ride on BH's new and improved Tornado Bobs, and I concur he did a fantastic job.

Much appreciated ;).  But Rich still did all the heavy lifting.  At least 90% of the track is his original work.

I like that overhead view of the coaster- 4 layers of track stacked on top of each other!

Glad you like it.  That was the only part of the layout I made a real change to, and it was quite a challenge due to the cramped space.  Rich's layout also had 4 layers there, just in a different order of stacking.  It's a total tangle either way.  The guy who built the real thing was a mad genius ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:46 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
    • PARK EUREKA
« Reply #394 on: July 16, 2019, 04:44 AM »
Man, your park is packed with charm. Really nice, like how tight everything is.

« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2019, 06:35 AM »
Thank  you Berlin!

"I think we set the time circuits wrong. Again!"

Re: Coney Island 1950 -Update 7/29!
« Reply #396 on: July 29, 2019, 03:56 AM »
The Spanish Ballroom is loosely based on the actual restored ballroom of the same name at Glen Echo Park just outside of Washington, D.C. in Maryland. The building is typical of many such venues that were built during the first several decades of the 20th century;

Here is my recreation;

Mine is a bit more ornate. I think I may redo the cross decoration, to make it a bit smaller.

Here is the link;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1818210141

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:09 AM by citytrader »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 29, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Quote: "I think I may redo the cross decoration, to make it a bit smaller."

Either that, or just scatter a few tulips around and call it a windmill. :D  That little balcony in the real photo gives the building added interest- a bit of Moorish acrhitecture. Have you considered adding one to your version? Very nice façade with the three arched doors; both, day and night.

« Reply #398 on: July 29, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Thank you for the excellent suggestions! The blueprint has been updated as well.

« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Here's a Rotor;

It's just a facade, but I think it looks pretty good!

Here's my model;

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:25 PM by citytrader »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2019, 08:52 PM »
The Rotor looks nice. :)  Too bad they don't have an actual, working flat ride (yet?). I know shyguy used the Round-Up ride to simulate his version. Is there anything inside to attract guests? Like restrooms or something?

« Reply #401 on: August 10, 2019, 04:03 AM »
Thanks for your question!

Yes, I tried the Centrum, but found it too big and bulky for what I was trying to build. My "rotor" is just a castle round tower, which is about the correct size. Still tinkering with the look of the ride, (would love to add that front balcony), and trying to figure out a good way to make it interactive. So, no, at this time, it's just a facade.

Offline Twisted

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 10, 2019, 04:29 AM »
Love this park!
You really got the atmosphere nailed down.
Also i love the boardwalk, and the buildings
Very nice work!

« Reply #403 on: August 10, 2019, 05:09 AM »
Another example where some "creative liberties" were necessary.  Your version is much more interesting to look at than the original :D 

Maybe adding another half-story or so of height to your structure would give you enough clearance for that balcony?  I agree, it would definitely make for a nice detail. 

« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2019, 06:50 AM »
Love this park!
You really got the atmosphere nailed down.
Also i love the boardwalk, and the buildings
Very nice work!

Thank you so much!

Another example where some "creative liberties" were necessary.  Your version is much more interesting to look at than the original :D 

Maybe adding another half-story or so of height to your structure would give you enough clearance for that balcony?  I agree, it would definitely make for a nice detail.

Thank you for the compliment! The issue, because of the nature of the ride, I am using the coaster walls to get that half wall effect, so I am limited in my clearance height. I did a little more tinkering and detailing, and I think I like the way this is progressing;

I added reinforcement to the top and bottom of the barrel, as well as the stripes for some visual interest. I also added the canopy with the columns.

Still looking for some better graphics for the wall decorations.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:52 AM by citytrader »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2019, 02:29 PM »
The stripes really bring the 'drum' to life and helps sell the illusion that this is a real ride. :)  Polka-dots on the walls, maybe? Or even on the drum.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 11, 2019, 09:27 AM »
JBAlmighT has a nice Rotor model in the workshop, perhaps he'd allow you to tweak the exterior a little to widen the balcony his has to look more like the original in the photo?  Maybe move the stairs to the sides a little and change the exterior a bit so it's a little plainer and I think it would turn out really close...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097498398

« Reply #407 on: August 11, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Thanks Wagi! Also, thanks JB for the dots idea! Turned out nice.

I think I like the way mine has turned out. It's pretty small, only three tiles wide, which is what I wanted. My stairs do lead to an observation deck. If memory serves, they would charge full price to ride and half price to watch!

Added a few new details, a floor and roof. Still not functional, but you could drop a toilet or something in there to draw peeps.

I also added some emergency lights which rotate on the drum. Looks cool!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:46 AM by citytrader »

« Reply #408 on: August 11, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Ooh, the dots and the lights are great adds.  Very clever!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 11, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I agree. The moving lights are a great idea. :up:  Can the lights be made to move horizontally rather than vertically? To make the drum look more like it's spinning around? And since I'm being a nitpicking pest :n00b:, how about adding a loudspeaker (does PC have those? Can you add your own audio loops?) with a sound loop playing the whirring sound of the drum and shrieks and screams from the riders. Hey, if you can't have a real, working ride then ya gotta do everything you can to make it seem as real as possible, right? :)

« Reply #410 on: August 11, 2019, 04:46 PM »
And since I'm being a nitpicking pest :n00b:, how about adding a loudspeaker (does PC have those? Can you add your own audio loops?)

Ha Ha. If you look in the video, there are speakers mounted in the corners of the opening. I had it playing some techno music. Never thought of adding ride effects! Clever idea with the lights, I'll try it!

EDIT; Looks great!

Uploaded to Workshop;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1832223543

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:14 PM by citytrader »

« Reply #411 on: August 17, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Wagi does it again!

One of the more interesting attractions at Coney Island was the Dive Bells, a pair of enclosed vehicles which raised and lowered into a pool filled with various sea life. As far as I can tell, this was basically a swimming pool, which made it easier for the staff to maintain and look after the fish and other animals within the tank.

Wagi sent me the basic structure, I added fences and a few details, as well as the pump house. Also, a very big shout out to willibix, who released the portholes and doors for the diving bells.

Here's the real ride;

Here's the recreation;

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Coney Island 1950 -Update 8/17 - Wagi strikes again!
« Reply #412 on: August 17, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Love the Dive Bell. Great job to both of you!
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 17, 2019, 03:34 PM »
willibix's portholes and doors made all the difference!  Did you stick a shark in the water Rich?  Gotta keep those ride employees on their toes...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 17, 2019, 04:26 PM »
What a unique and interesting attraction to add to your park. I wonder if the Bells took turns lowering into the swimming pool tank? Also, if the inside of the tank was themed to look sort of ocean-like, with cement rocks, coral, and plants? Was it fresh water, or salt water?

*JB puts on his nitpicky pest hat again*- Maybe show one of the Bells already lowered into the tank? (To make the ride look less static; like it's in use... Ooh! Maybe have water dripping off the other one, like it was just raised up.)

A wonderful collaborative effort on all your parts. (Hmm, that didn't sound quite right.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:36 PM by JB »

« Reply #415 on: August 17, 2019, 07:13 PM »
Love the Dive Bell. Great job to both of you!

Thanks! Would love to see your progress on your boardwalk park!

willibix's portholes and doors made all the difference!  Did you stick a shark in the water Rich?  Gotta keep those ride employees on their toes...

I guess you'll just have to see!

*JB puts on his nitpicky pest hat again*- Maybe show one of the Bells already lowered into the tank? (To make the ride look less static; like it's in use... Ooh! Maybe have water dripping off the other one, like it was just raised up.)

A wonderful collaborative effort on all your parts. (Hmm, that didn't sound quite right.)

I have very little information on this attraction, but I assume it's salt water, and yes, they probably had some fake vegetation and coral in the tank, as well as fish.

Clever idea showing the bells in operation! What do you think?

I added some water and bubble effects as well as ride operators and control panels. Threw in a few patrons for good measure.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 17, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Dr. Frankenstein: "It's ALIVE!". All the additions really brought the ride to life. That's just how I pictured it. :)  (And why is that ride operator staring at us? :o)

« Reply #417 on: August 22, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Extremely clever and original.  Great job to both of you!!   :up: :up:

« Reply #418 on: August 31, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Another new business opens in Coney Island!

Check out these beautiful new 1952 models!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 31, 2019, 05:37 PM »
The architectural style of your auto sales building is a good representation of the buildings of that period; with a nod to ornimentation but not overly so. I like the flag banner across the front. I can't remember, did they have all the balloons, whirligigs, etc. in car lots in the '50s? Or did that come later. I wonder if that car in your billboard image really came in that vibrant green color.