Coney Island 1952 -Three years later---RELEASED!

• 480 replies
Re: Coney Island 1950 -Update 5/1/20
« Reply #450 on: May 04, 2020, 07:13 AM »
What about Schiff Wild Mouse coaster? Because in 1960's, Coney Island has Schiff mouse.

Thank you for the comment. However, I am recreating Coney Island in 1950, when the big four coasters were all operating. The Thunderbolt, the Tornado Bobs, the Bobsled, and the Cyclone.

« Reply #451 on: May 04, 2020, 08:38 AM »
Ahhh... the WonderWheel looks great in the skyline.
Nice job on the signs along those booths...
And I probably mentioned before, but the alternating planks in the boardwalk path are a really cool effect.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 04, 2020, 10:01 AM »
The scope of this project is absolutely fantastic! I love the detail and I also love the aerial shots.

« Reply #453 on: May 05, 2020, 02:28 PM »
Thank you so much!

Surf Avenue Funhouse;

Offline Supernovae

• Celebrating creating
    • View Profile
    • Supernovae Productions
« Reply #454 on: May 06, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Very nice! To be honest I've never have the chance to visit the USA so I can only refer to Blackpool UK, but this has a very nice atmosphere.   
On paper we have the best team of the world! It's a pitty we don't play on paper...

« Reply #455 on: May 07, 2020, 04:56 PM »
Thank you. I've never been to Blackpool! Hopefully, you've seen enough of the many old photos I've put up that you have some idea of what the place looked like!

Was looking through some of my research material, and ran across this old postcard;

Don't you just love the folks in their suits and nice dresses out on the boardwalk!

Gave me the idea to create a small mini golf in my park. A very special shout out to DeLadySigner for her beautiful mini golf creations. I just had to readjust a couple of the holes to make a left turn. Also. thanks need to go out to BeyonddrewTV for his cute little hut. It makes a perfect entrance/exit building. Again, thank you both!

So this is intentionally bare bones and kind of cheesy looking, as most of the putt-putt courses were in those days.

Jungle themed, built in a concrete parking lot, with paper mache animals and potted plants.

A giraffe as an obstacle. I built my own, but decided the TMTK animals worked better!

A small kiddie pool decorated with rocks and a small fountain;

The owners of the course did pay their next door neighbor so they could paint a cute mural on the brick. It might draw a few more customers!

More to come!

« Reply #456 on: May 07, 2020, 05:18 PM »
great looking mini golf

« Reply #457 on: May 08, 2020, 07:43 PM »
great looking mini golf
Thanks a million!

Typical store-front dark ride;

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 08, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Quote: "Typical store-front dark ride".  Oooh, Wards Baths... scary! I can't imagine what we'd see in... oh wait, I bet you mean the building next to it with the crooked windows, right? :P  It may be 'typical' but it sure looks nice. Something about the angled wall just inside the exit really adds mystery and excitement to the whole thing.

Offline zacharyshyguy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 09, 2020, 06:31 AM »
I would love to see Coney Island 1960 project including Schiff mouse.
Zachary Lunsford

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 09, 2020, 06:33 AM »
I LOVE that!

« Reply #461 on: May 10, 2020, 07:57 AM »
Quote: "Typical store-front dark ride".  Oooh, Wards Baths... scary! I can't imagine what we'd see in... oh wait, I bet you mean the building next to it with the crooked windows, right? :P  It may be 'typical' but it sure looks nice. Something about the angled wall just inside the exit really adds mystery and excitement to the whole thing.
Thanks! It actually has a Centrum ride inside! The curved walls were necessary to hide the flat ride! I wanted to put in an actual Hoax ride, but the footprint of the structure was too small. I set the Centrum to spin but not rise. It is still popular with the peeps!

A cocktail lounge;

Another bar;

A Gelato shop;

Prams finally make an appearance at Coney Island;

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 10, 2020, 02:20 PM »
I like the old-style coziness of the gelato shop. And I had to chuckle at the "Post No Bills" sign covered with flyers and notices.

« Reply #463 on: May 11, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Thanks! Hopefully there is a bit more to chuckle at when the park is released!

The view from the top of the Cyclone;

The silhouette at night;

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Always on the move
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 12, 2020, 10:07 PM »
Thanks! Hopefully there is a bit more to chuckle at when the park is released!

The view from the top of the Cyclone;

The silhouette at night;

Love the classic shot at the bottom!

Make the magic happen

« Reply #465 on: May 15, 2020, 07:36 PM »

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:17 PM by citytrader »

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
Re: Coney Island 1952 -Update 5/15/20
« Reply #466 on: May 16, 2020, 02:24 AM »
Seeing that ice cream stand reminds me of the seaside stalls near me on the South coast of England. Great work man.

« Reply #467 on: May 16, 2020, 03:48 AM »
Rich let me into the park this week (pre-Cyclone) and... just wow.   I snapped a shot from out on a boat just to show the scope of this place (and still didn't fit it all into the screen...)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 04:38 AM by citytrader »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 16, 2020, 04:36 AM »
Rich let me into the park this week (pre-Cyclone) and... just wow.   I snapped a shot from out on a boat just to show the scope of this place (and still didn't fit it all into the screen...)

Oh my...that is one gorgeous screenshot JP!   Wow!

« Reply #470 on: May 16, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Oh my...that is one gorgeous screenshot JP!   Wow!

Uh, yeah! That looks great! How did you get that wide angle shot? Beautiful!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Cyclone looks AMAZING!!!!

« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Thank you, but it is not my model. I found a generic coaster on the workshop and reworked and decorated it.

As with the Bobsled, it works well enough for my needs, but I don't think it's going to win any contests as "best recreation"!  :)

« Reply #473 on: May 17, 2020, 08:49 AM »
A few pics around Coney Island;

The walk through horror attraction, the Dungeon;

The Boardwalk Whip, with a simple wooden backdrop;

An overview of Astroland, with the Wonder Wheel front and center!

Surf Avenue is almost a half a mile long!

Feltmans Restaurant covered almost an entire city block;

Surf City Arcade;

The Eldorado Auto Scooters are still at Coney Island today!

Chinese food, anyone?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 17, 2020, 03:56 PM »
The Chinese restaurant looks great. The ornate décor really stands out from the neighboring shops. I'd definitely eat there. :drool:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2020, 06:33 PM »
Damn, Rich, amazing stuff!  I of course hugely love the Cyclone :)  And the Bobsled, too.  But all the details in them and everything else, plus the flats and the whole layout of the thing.  Truly great work!  I'm glad to see this project finally closing out.  It's been a long time coming ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #476 on: May 22, 2020, 04:19 PM »
OK, let’s get one thing out of the way. Coney Island is neither an amusement park nor is it an island. Coney Island was an island back in colonial times, but gradually, the tides changing and human intervention turned the area into a spit of land on the south end of Brooklyn, which is really on Long Island. Over the course of the years, the bright sunny beaches lured the people of Manhattan out of the crowded city to visit the equally crowded beaches.

During the turn of the last century, a number of small amusements and attractions came to Coney Island, including Sea Lion Park, which was also the first park to ever charge a single admission price for all the attractions. Dreamland, which burned down spectacularly in 1914, (the owner, not to lose money at it, charged a nickel to view the ruins!), Luna Park and its spectacular fire, and, of course, Steeplechase park, the funny place. Most (or all) of these parks have gone on to be legends onto themselves.

Immediately after World War Two ended, the citizens of New York wanted a fun and exciting place to visit for some thrills and spills, and Coney Island answered the call. Some of the most famous coasters in the world ran there in this post war period, including the Thunderbolt, the Tornado Bobs, the Bobsled,  and the legendary Cyclone.

I have enjoyed trying to recreate this area of Coney Island for a number of years now. Almost 20 years ago, I released a version of Coney Island  in RCT2, tried (and failed) to recreate the park for RCT3, and now I am happy to release this version in Planet Coaster  that has been in the works for about three years.

The year is 1952, and Coney Island is at the height of its fame. Basically just a few square blocks on the south end of Brooklyn facing Long Island Sound, there are about 16 square blocks of shops, stores, apartment buildings and cheap hotels in the area, as well as dozens of vacant lots with rented carnival type rides on them. Many storefronts are converted into dark rides, mazes, side shows, and other attractions, (anything to separate a sucker from his money!). There are a couple of small enclosed parks, including Astroland and McCulloughs Kiddie park, as well as the four previously mentioned coasters.

I also need to thank a large number of people for helping, advising, brow beating, and contributing time, effort, and most importantly assets to this project. In no particular order I would like to thank Mr. Orange for his beautiful Blue Heaven Ferris wheel, Masked Bandit for his Boardwalk Bumps and Uthris restaurant, Fisherman for his various Vendor carts, kiddie rides, and game booths as well as his prizes, Bulletthead for his flophouse hotel and Victorian Auto station, and especially for fixing my disaster of a recreation of the Tornado Bobs, DeLadySigner for her mini golf setup, BeyondDrewTV for his Tiki Hut, JPAlmighT for his cute little Tickler ride, ajc9892 for his Cyclone roller coaster, that I have tweaked and created the scenery for, and Wabigbear for contributing a number of structures to the project, including Ruby’s Oyster House, the huge Side Show attraction, the Hardware store next store, and Childs Restaurant, as well as being my tester and advisor since day one. I have also utilized various TMTK and blueprints off the workshop, too many to name. If I have forgotten anyone, I sincerely apologize!

You will need the base game and all the packs. Hopefully, you'll find a cute surprise or two around the area!

The bench contains about 140 buildings or facades, but no interiors. Even the dark rides do not have them. Sorry, but my computer is just about maxed out now. There are also about 120 billboards used in the park. They are available here;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tpt77fat1vefoka/AACFIeN_nHv7v3Ihmp8SO7pia?dl=0

Again, thank you to everyone who offered comments during the build, offered advice, and especially to those who contributed their time and talent to the park. Enjoy your trip to Coney Island!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1773172892
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:24 PM by citytrader »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Re: Coney Island 1952 -Three years later---RELEASED!
« Reply #477 on: May 23, 2020, 06:18 AM »
Congratulations on reaching the end with this project!  I remember how bummed you ere when you tried this in RCT3, so it's fantastic that FINALLY your vision came to fruition.  It really is amazing to be down at peep-level and to fully appreciate the enormity of everything - it's block after block, all filled with all sorts of amusements and attractions and a ton of detail.   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:01 AM by wabigbear »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 23, 2020, 07:13 AM »
A real triumph here!  Congratulations of completing the project!  I am honored that some of my things made a tiny contribution to this wonderful homage to the granddaddy of all the American parks.  I look forward to exploring this final version.

« Reply #479 on: May 23, 2020, 02:13 PM »
Really a sweet project...but one question....WHAT'S NEXT!?!?!?!?!