" 'World's largest loop coaster' coming to Six Flags Great America"

• 9 replies

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
Yes, I mean a Larson Looper. I mean, it's Six Flags, what did you expect?

A 100-foot loop coaster dubbed as a "world-record breaking attraction" in an early-Thursday announcement by officials at Six Flags Great America is scheduled to open for the 2018 season.

... Upon completion, it will be Great America's 16th coaster.

The ride specifications tout it at the "world's largest coaster of its kind" with 360-degree revolutions with multiple inversions; 32 seats with guests seated back-to-back and face-to-face; and inverted hang-time for riders, suspending them upside down for extended times.

Source

As soon as Six Flags started teasing about new record-breaking attractions I joked that the world's largest Larson Looper would be one of them. I still can't believe they actually went and did it.

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
They also added a Skyloop to SFDK which already has a Larson super loop. *slow clap* Selling the Sky loops as coasters is already questionable but a Larson loop is not a coaster.

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
What a trash year from Six Flags. SF America is technically my home park (haven't been since I was at least 5), and they're getting a "record breaking" lazy river. A goddamn lazy river...

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
They also added a Skyloop to SFDK which already has a Larson super loop. *slow clap* Selling the Sky loops as coasters is already questionable but a Larson loop is not a coaster.

My friend actually helped design that one and did the animation for the initial concept, and it's not by the same company or anything. It's by Skyline Attractions who does some great work. And they did the same centerline calculations for it that you do would with a coaster, so you would have a stronger case that the SFDK one is a coaster (though it still isn't ;) )

But yeah Discovery Kingdom is the bottom of the barrel for the Six Flags parks.. Not even Joker came close to saving it.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
Okay, those things I'm okay with, though they look like someone was playing with K'Nex trying to make a really small launched coaster to make that layout.

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
I´m not saying Skyloops are bad! Its just they have a very similar attarction. Thats like having a Vekoma SLC and adding a Batman the Ride clone two years later. Just worse.

Offline Gravity

• Oh, hai!
    • View Profile
I don't wanna hear about very similar attractions.  :mad:up:

SFNE is my home park, now we have 2 boomerangs and NEW FOR 2018.... 2 swinging pendulum rides.
something something something dark side...?

Offline R-Furz

• View Profile
Re: " 'World's largest loop coaster' coming to Six Flags Great America"
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 03:06 AM »
My friend actually helped design that one and did the animation for the initial concept

Oh, neat!
The Skywarp concept really grew on me. Yes it's more a flat-ride than a coaster, but the dive-loops and the fly-by should really improve the experience over a standard Larson Loop.

Here's a cool picture Skyline Attractions showed on their Facebook. It isn't the design of the centerline, but the structural load (vertical squares) and the wind resistance (horizontal squares):

Offline kylr23

• A man who struggle can also be the most sucessful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 11:51 AM »
I don't wanna hear about very similar attractions.  :mad:up:

SFNE is my home park, now we have 2 boomerangs and NEW FOR 2018.... 2 swinging pendulum rides.
To be honest I think adding Spinsanity is a good addition to sfne. Tomahawk is just pathedic. (and truthfuly needs to go.) Ive been on a ride simual to Spin (maxair) and loved it

Offline R-Furz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Oh by the way:

Thats like having a Vekoma SLC and adding a Batman the Ride clone two years later. Just worse.

What about La Ronde, who had a Batman the Ride clone... and THEN ONLY added a SLC? :lol: