Solisbury Lido - Vol.2

• 10 replies

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
Solisbury Lido - Vol.2
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:05 AM »

Volume.1 - A Long Time Coming

For a long time coming (at least a year) my most recent project is ready to become the first I've made to have a permanent home on ShyGuysWorld and online in general. May I introduce you all to Solisbury Lido, a medium-sized British amusement park with a rich developing history, and the most progress into a park I've made yet. Shall we begin?

Let us start from the very front of the park, looking towards the entrance area, you have a very rudimental dirt parking lot to the left, while the right you can see a taxi rank and drop off point. Right in the center between the trees and the lamp post is the ticket counter in the background. You can already see the first major ride of this small park, which I will get to later.

Here is a closer image of the entrance area to Solisbury Lido, the two wings of the plaza are basically offices, to the left is the hub of a local taxi company, as well as staff access to the ticket offices, whilst too the right in the building with no windows (there are, but they don't look into the entrance area) is the administration offices of the park.

We are now going to look inside of Solisbury Lido officially, with this image looking back towards the whole "Main-street" Plaza, with it's central point being the lone tree in the middle of a pond. To the left you can see a small amount of building that makes up the name-sake of the park, Solisbury Lido. If you didn't know what a Lido is, it's basically an outdoor swimming pool found in British towns, and was this park's first claim to fame.

Looking down the right hand side of the Plaza when you enter you have the first three services on this side of the park, a candy/sweet shop called Candy Palace, an inauspicious toilet block, and the Lido Tea Rooms, serving traditional English tea, scones and crumpets....lovely.

On the left hand side of the Plaza, you can find a small shop in which you can buy anything from water and drinks, to snacks, some souvenirs, and even newspapers and magazines, it's your atypical English newsagents, you can start to see a pattern in this park. Next to it you can find  a small gastro-pub, and then a Pizza Pen branch on the far end of the left side.

Finally, here is a close up shot on the Pizza Pen branch, my first ever foray into modern architecture in Planet Coaster, and my first experimenting with faux glass windows and an interior. From the patio you can also have a great view out to the drop of the log flume. Honestly, I haven't a name for it yet...I should get on that.

Now, that concludes our first look at Solisbury Lido, upcoming updates will explore the history of the place more, as well as introducing more work and the first rides, as well as hopefully the first few episodes of a Lets Build of Solisbury Lido, yes I intend to record a Lets Build, wish me luck on it! Keep an eye on updates and I will see you later...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:23 PM by AcesCalifornia »

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Solisbury Lido - Vol.1
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:37 AM »
Haha, I love the idea of a theme park based around a lido! And all the other quintessentially british stuff you've got in here. Off to a great start, looking forward to seeing some more.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:04 AM »

A very nice start! And thank you for explaining what a lido is, i had no idea :)
I enjoy looking at the buildings you created, well done.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:58 AM »
Great start so far! i love the entrance area, with its tower, and the arches on the right and left. and i dont know why but i like the dirt parkinglot :)
the whole scenerie looks really charming! Love to see more of this project!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
Re: Solisbury Lido - Vol.2
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:45 PM »

Vol.2 - The Bane of My Existence and Other Pieces

Thank you all for your kind words, it's encouraging! :) Personal responses in the spoiler!

Spoiler (hover to show)

And with that, it's back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Welcome back to Solisbury Lido! A lot has changed since you last saw the status of this park. For one the sparse patch of land where the flume is, that's gone, and it's made so much of a difference, but don't take my word for it, let's get into the pictures!

The first image of a new area being shown to the public is always something to be proud of. With a stylish fence, and still a view of the two drops into the lake below, the tree-line just gives the perfect scenery to cut a channel into. The name of the ride as an addition, was formerly Crag Creek Rapids, it's been changed however to Tree Walker, still sounding weird, it's intended, it's less cliché than Crag Creek Rapids though isn't it?

Here we see, my first ever attempt at a hand-made flat ride. And yes, literally first one, I made it, haven't touched it. It's rudimentary and it don't really look very realistic to these types of rides in real life, but pay no attention ;) Decided here in this branch of the park, the park would have put down rides that they didn't much care about, it's out of the way and with no path to any major ticket ride. Perfect for a poorly themed kiddy ride, and the other additions you will see today.

Looking towards the back of this extension from the main plaza area, I intended the ride you see to be one of the "original" rides of when the Lido became an amusement park, with a seasonal travelling fair, with this ride being bought from them and kept, with upkeep on it. At the far right is the park entrance for say delivery trucks. Notice the lock I managed to create for the gate, proud of that, figured out by my lone-some.

This little building here. I intended it to be a late 90s, early 2000s edition probably. No themeing, and only there to offer further services to the front end of the park. Canonically I don't even know what goes inside there, but that isn't the reason I took this picture, I took it to also show off the supports for the log flume. It apparently can hold, I've seen wooden supports on my reference imagery!

A better look at the second and last drops. Not too sure why I kept this image, but something attracts me to it...Sometimes that's all you need!

A backstage look at the log flume towards the fairground ride, which did I mention is called Revolution? It's meant to be American themed, but "themed" is only applicable in the lightest of ways for this forgotten ride.

Here, a better look down the expansion towards the main plaza, including the 90s stall and the kiddy ship ride. And look at that, the Lido looks finished...year no comment *cough*.

NOW, the reason for the title. No doubt, this expansion alone pushed me because it had to look mediocre, but mediocre on purpose. BroCoaster can empathize with this. The expansion, was okay, but the pain, the suffering, the misery, came from this queue line here, right here, especially that bridge! If you didn't know, I posted recently in the general chat an issue I was having with hit boxes not selecting where I click them, selecting another object ALWAYS, and sometimes just not responding to clicks dead on to the item(s). At the end I found it hard to even select the building to go into editing it. Just know, this is not how I intended the queue to look like, and I am not happy with it. Change will come when the issue is fixed, which I am working towards.

Anyway, back on track here, here you see the station for "Tree Walker". I need to get better at making signs for things, custom signs preferably. I can think of 3 rides I currently have in my park that I can practice on when time comes, so it will come. The corrugated walls I adore the look of, and I'm proud of how it looks.

And the final image of this update, a view of the first drop and some more of the station. We haven't seen anything past the station much for a reason, and that is because there is one area of the ride left I haven't detailed, and that will most likely be in Volume 3 or 4, just because I needed this out and I needed a break from this ride!

And that is it for our second volume of Solisbury Lido, I hope you enjoyed it juuust a bit more than I did at the end, but honestly, building this entire area was pleasant apart from the bridge hitbox problem. I will work on getting that fixed. Next up, Volume 3, I will be showing you more 90s-2000s mediocre glory hopefully, either that or a brand spanking newly constructed themed area in the timeline, which I am excited to get a started on! Yeah you can guess which direction I am leaning in for Volume 3.

Sorry for promising a Lets Build and not capitalizing on it, but I have one issue...music royalties, on an unemployed budget. Trying to find music that fits for free, but nothing is catching me, let me ask you lovely audience, if you are making Lets Builds or Lets Plays, what do you use for music? Or do you use music at all? I've been considering just going with the PC soundtrack, it's amazing enough. Anyhow keep an eye for updates, and I will see you next time!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:52 PM by AcesCalifornia »

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 01:09 AM »
great update i like the logflume! and your selfmade ride looks also cute, i cant get what type of ride it is but it looks cool :P

Sorry for promising a Lets Build and not capitalizing on it, but I have one issue...music royalties, on an unemployed budget. Trying to find music that fits for free, but nothing is catching me, let me ask you lovely audience, if you are making Lets Builds or Lets Plays, what do you use for music? Or do you use music at all? I've been considering just going with the PC soundtrack, it's amazing enough. Anyhow keep an eye for updates, and I will see you next time!

If you have the Planet Coaster Soundtrack then you have perfect music for speedbuild Videos. i alwayse work with these Tracks :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 03:48 PM »
The supports and pipework look fantastic on that flume!! Great atmosphere you have here, just need some peeps!

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Well, on my videos I use whatever music I want and cross my fingers that nobody catches me  :whistling:

Glad you mentioned the corrugated walls, they are fantastic.  I noticed scrolling through the pictures that there's been a lot of time spent on specific details that may or may not get highlighted.  Your custom flat, the fencing, etc.  I love when people bury the details like that, it makes it that much more rewarding to study the pictures up close :)

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Really glad you're back with an update on this park! It's still looking wonderfully british and low key. Those first couple shots in particular are really nice, the custom flat looks awesome, and I love the later shot looking back down that path with the tower in the distance. Really nice!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 04:43 PM »
You captured the mediocrity of this park beautifully. ;)  Seriously, everything looks very well designed and perfectly detailed. Looking forward to seeing more mediocre updates.

Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:13 AM »
This looks really great. The log flume is really realistic and well done. I really enjoy all the pictures you've posted and the detail you've put into it :)
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!