Symbolica - Darkride meets coaster

• 6 replies

Offline Zingo

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Symbolica - Darkride meets coaster
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:43 AM »
Introduction
7 years ago the Efteling announced their new ride for the 60th birthday of the park, Hartenhof. The ride would be the newest darkride in the park, using a robocoaster like system with seats for 20 passengers at a time. The total cost would be 42 million euro, more than twice the cost of the most expensive attraction at the point. One problem however, it was never build. The ridesystem wasn't developed enough and due to the bad experience the park had with both Droomvlucht and De Vliegende Hollander they never build it. This year however Symbolica opened, based on the same theme as Hartenhof buth with an entirely different ridesystem. The ride feels a bit like Mystic manor and uses the same ride system. It however wasn't exactly what I was hoping. So, back to the drawingboard and lets build something new!

Symbolica
My aim for this project is to combine Symbolica and Hartenhof into one ride, using the ridesystem I was planning on using for harry potter. However, unlike harry potter this ride will not have one but three different routes. You share the scenes, but the experience is different for every car! Unlike Symbolica the cars are going to split a few more times than 2. The current ride is about 650m per track and is currently being tested with a total of 27 cars. Of course there will be moments where the car will interact with the other cars and they will share some special effects. The ride will not feature digital screens, I'm going old style! The lay-out is done and the story is written. Unlike Harry Potter I sterted with writing the story instead of jumping in head first. We'll see how that goes.

So, whats done so far?
The lay-out is finished and the scenes are all mapped out. Currently I am working on the rotation and speed of the cars, adding a few droptracks/lifts/other funny stuff and finishing some scenes. The station build is almost done, so thats what I want to show together with the outside. I still work in sketchup, so there is more work done than what I can show. I do plan on releasing the ride on steam and in video. For the car I've used the bases of my Potter ride (seats and lapbars) and themed it like the vehicle in the Efteling.

Short term plans
For the shot term the ride system will have to be finished and I want to finish the first quarter of the darkride theming wise. Lets see if I can make it.

Small update
I received some very good textures from Mennoo_ yesterday which he uses on his Aquanura recreation and tried them out on the station. I couldn't get the right stucco walls, they were not Efteling enough for me and Mennoo_ supplied me with the perfect walls. The entire atmosphere is different, much more dark, but it works so well in the sim. The screen is from the editor, so the lightning isn't perfect. But you'll get the idea:

Small update

A small update before I go to the zoo (yeeh). I've spent yesterday working on the two scenes directly behind the station and started trying some bumbmapping on the scenes. So far, I think 1/3 of the darkride is done. The ending changed, again, but I will show that in the next update where I want to spent some time explaining the methology behind building the ride. I've also tried the first lightning effects, they are going to be great!

The scene I'm showing is as good as the same as on the real ride, but I took the liberty to make changes to fit my story better. Keep in mind that there are no small objects yet (botles, more books, chests etc). Those will be added in a later stage. I'm also missing an animatronic, working on that also haha. The second screen is to give a sense of the scale of the scenes and where it is placed.

Offline RCT D!

• Creator of Grimestone Mine - The VAULT - Periculum
    • View Profile
    • RCT D! - YouTube Channel
Re: Symbolica - Darkride meets coaster
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:10 AM »
Such an amazing idea! I was to Symbolica last week and it´s one of my favourite darkrides. The theme is so great and you are going to present such a great composition of your own version now. I´m very interested in this project, must be so much work but it looks great so far.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:20 AM »
First off, welcome to the forums, we are all glad you have joined us. :)

I love when people push the game beyond its limits, and this is an excellent idea. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Can't wait to see more.

And welcome to SGW.  :)

Offline Zingo

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:19 AM »
Thanks for the warm (re)welcome. I am actually a member, JohanR, I just wanted to have a new name so haha. (meybe I should just have changed it though).

@RCT D!: Thanks! Your PC rides actually were a real inspiration to me when working on this. It has been quite some time since I did a real darkride so your rides were a very nice way to get back into the old feeling! I hope I can outshine the real version with this.

@ALT2870: Thanks! I think this idea goes a bit further indeed than most NL2 rides, just like the Flying Dutchman kinda pushed the limit of what the game could do at that time. The new light engine is the main reason Symbolica is now possible.

@Shyguy: Thanks for the warm welcome and keeping this place up! Still looks nice after all those years haha.

Offline Zingo

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Update

So, I promissed a bigger update on the ride. I started desiging the first coaster part this week. Altough its not a very long one it still it there (there is a longer coaster part later on in the ride). The idea is that after your visit to the observatorium from an earlier update you enter the library. Since this is the first time the trains meet up again after being seperated you all take different routes into the library and also follow different paths in it. The main idea is that this is also the first part were the trains will truly interact instead of acting like seperate rides within a bigger building.

My main goal was to make the whole experience in two parts. A part where all the tracks would cross eachother and a part were they followed a more straight way, creating the opportunityto really look at eachother without moving to much. The crossing was done during the 180 turn the tracks have to make from the previous scene. Since I didn't want the tracks to actually cross everything had to be tunneltested, which also caused me to make the choice to add some steeper drops. THe current library end at a statue which is going to be used to connect the library and a very cool scene where you look into the distance. I can't tell to much about that yet.

I've also started testing with the lightning in this scene. For now I am using yellow and red as main lightning colors since I wanted a darker library but also wanted to convey the fact that it is not during the middle of the day outside. Many things will change in the next update in that regard.

Next up

Next I need to work on the scene which is right below this one. It's going to be an amazing scene where movement is going to be very important. I cannot show you guys the movement yet, but It's going to be awesome. I am also working on finishing the trains so I can do some testing with the motions. So far the motions didn't have to influence the design to much, but since the ride is going to go a lot faster from this point the vehicle needs to be there. Next update next week!

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 02:22 AM »
This is looking very cool and unique!  :drool:
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!