Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1977) - Update 2 (8/28/2018)

• 78 replies

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.1

OK, so I don't have a presentable park yet, but I wanted to give this a go and post some time lapses on YouTube to see how it goes.  Hopefully I keep it up.   And BTW I have not abandoned my Dark Kingdom Project, I just need a break from it.

The SGW competition park that I made ended up in a decent place and the next incarnation will be called Playtime Gardens.   I want a park that I could start based on an defunct park and I can then mold to my will, and one I can build over an extended timeline.  This project is why I made the spreadsheet of times and manufacturers, which I posted in the community forum.  Seemed that based on that data, the perfect time to start a park would be the early 1970's.  At first i was going to go for an alternate version of Circus World in central Florida, but it was not quite right.  I ended up choosing Riverside Amusement Park in Indianapolis, which closed in 1970.

So I started building the park, we'll see how it goes.  For now, the time-lapse of the layout, will post pics when there is something decent to show.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:24 PM by Muserato »

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Playtime Gardens
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 02:11 AM »
ok thats a start i didnt see much, so first you place all the rides, coasters and shop and after that you will build the whole design and details. well iam interested :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:04 AM »
ok thats a start i didnt see much, so first you place all the rides, coasters and shop and after that you will build the whole design and details. well iam interested :)

Yeah, I don't usually build this way, I usually build paths and rides as I expand, although I usually have a general plan.  In this case I have a (crappy old) map which has somewhat exact locations of the rides. I think doing it this way will also force me to build small.  I am also thinking after I build it, I got to mess it up a little, it's supposed to be a failing park after all.  This could probably be a scenario for the workshop.

The future updates will expand to the back fo the park, still gotta figure out what those will be, but will try to keep them "time-accurate"; planning to do a park for 1972, then do one park for every 5 year increment, until present day.

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Looks like a great start. I'm sure it's going to be a great park when it's done.

I'm also excited to see the scenery going down
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.2

Made the barn that was located at the entrance of the park, although I changed the sign location, I think I preserved the feeling of its original.  I don't really know what was inside the barn as I am going by what I can find online.  I could not have possibly ever gone to that park because it closed before I was born and I don't know anyone from Indianapolis, certainly nobody that is old enough to remember this place.

Also made a small info building to act as a ticket booth.  The park was on a individual-ride ticket system where you would buy a ticket for each ride, hence the lack of entry gates.  I did find what it looked like a ticket coupon that gave you a choice between a couple of rides.  Say it would give you either a ride on the Thriller or a ride on the Flash, and a ride on the carousel or a ride on the caterpillar (monte leone).

Finally, I worked on the queue for the Thriller, a simple wooden canopy and surrounding scenery.

I gotta say, keeping it old looking and not going too crazy for heavy scenery is a little hard.  I suffer every time I put a tree or bush down, questioning if I am going overboard, LOL.  Still working on this for a little while, so if you have suggestions or spot a mistake please let me know.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:25 AM by Muserato »

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Playtime Gardens: Episode 0.2 Posted
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 01:14 AM »
Bring on some Screenshots! You know shyguysworld loves Screenshots and not only video Links! :)

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Episode 0.2 Posted
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Bring on some Screenshots! You know shyguysworld loves Screenshots and not only video Links! :)

Twist my arm why don't you, LOL.  I know, I was just hoping to wait until it is a bit more polished, like I forgot to put a sign over Thriller  ::) .  Still, I edited the previous post to show appropriate screen shots as requested  :D

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Episode 0.3
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.3

More work done on the park.  The Himalaya type ride at the front of the park gets a queue canopy and some surrounding scenery.  I found a picture of it where it showed the name of the ride, Caterpillar.  I think it's supposed to have a wood base, but I left it metal.

The Next project was the ride skin for the teacups.  This was originally a round building over the large carousel, which PC doesn't have, so teacups it is.  I started making this building twice and I rage quit twice because i could not get the darn thing to line up.  Third time was the charm, not without it's challenges.  It's a custom roof, but trying to keep the number of parts down.

A little overview of the left side of the park to end this post:

And the next video for anyone that cares to see how they were made:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:25 AM by Muserato »

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 06:38 AM »
The whole concept here is really intriguing. I like how you're going for a historic slant on this. And after seeing your brilliantly original and innovative Summer Competition park, I can't wait to see where this goes.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Crap, how did I miss a new project from someone whose work I always look for?  I suck.  Love the woodie and very anxious to see the shape this all takes. 

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Episode 0.4
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 10:23 AM »
The whole concept here is really intriguing. I like how you're going for a historic slant on this. And after seeing your brilliantly original and innovative Summer Competition park, I can't wait to see where this goes.

Finishing the 1970 park might take a few more weeks, I'll start with the toys for the 1972 version, hope you guys like it.  I know it's not everyone's cup of tea with the "plastic" look, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it.  LOL.

Crap, how did I miss a new project from someone whose work I always look for?  I suck.  Love the woodie and very anxious to see the shape this all takes.

Thanks for the kind words JP.  But don't be too anxious, this is going to take a while, hahaha.

Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) Episode 0.4

Sorry I only have one pic to share this time.  This thing took forever, At least four hours based on the amount of footage I ended up with (at 8x speed).  I'm pretty satisfied with the results though.   I made some partial custom supports to make the ride look a little more gnarly, messed a little with he layout to improve it, made the custom letters at the back of the ride, a silly entrance similar to the ones found at traveling Manic Mouse coasters, and attempted a chain return (which is probably all wrong).

Here is the time-lapse for anyone that is interested:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:52 PM by Muserato »

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.4
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 01:47 PM »
It's AMAZING how you were able to get the atmosphere of a cheesy wild-mouse down to a T from the cartoon-y mouse, to the "gateways" using mouths and that sort of stuff, and the lettering found on rides like this stuffed away at the back of the ride.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.4
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 12:02 AM »
ahahhaha i love the sign :D

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.5
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed that pic, it was really fun making the mouse figure.

Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.5
Moving on to fill in the gaps.  I fill-in the space with a generic restroom, a modified version of Ruble's Midway Games found in the Workshop (thank you Rubble for saving me so much time).  Add some lights, and pretty much finish off the left side of the park.  It finally feels like some things were accomplished.

A view from the back toward the barn

Thriller got a simple sign at the entrance

The midway games look plain and boring (as intended)

A bird's eye view of the left side of the park

Finally, here is the time-lapse if anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:39 PM by Muserato »

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 09:40 PM »
I like what you did with the midway games... the structure is good, and going with a bland palette really makes the games themselves pop.

I think I'm most anxious to see what you do with that big pond and bridge area.

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 06:53 AM »
So for the 1970s version of this I am going for semi-accuracy on whatever few reference materials I have for this place.   The pool was originally used for swimming (I think), then it was later closed and just fenced-in so people wouldn't go in there, they added benches so people would look into it and built the bridge over the pool. 

I am considering adding a cover to the bridge though, not accurate but slightly more interesting.  It does feel a little too sparse, even as I am trying to make this a not very attractive park.  As to what happens with it for the the 1972 version of the park, I still have to decide; part of the challenge I am giving to myself is to keep the pool and theme it to something.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 08:05 AM »
^^Oops, that's my fault.  I forgot this was a re-creation.   [I should read things more often  :P]

I can add that from my limited experience you have to do what keeps you interested, I've seen it work well both ways when people are either extremely loyal to history or take enough liberties to satisfy their own building interests.  I'll be happy with whichever route you choose, as this is definitely some good stuff.

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Love the Mad Mouse entrance, so cute. Everything feels very stylish, but appropriately aged.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 10:36 AM »
I forgot about this project after seeing the first post, but I definitely need to follow it now. Very impressive work, and that game set fits your park perfectly.

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.6
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 07:09 AM »
OK, I had made this a little while back, but didn't get to edit the video, then the Adventure pack side tracked me and I got back into my Disney Dark park, but here we go.   

This is not exactly the most exciting of buildings, but it was a lot of work.  The back of the park had an large dance hall that was later converted to a Roller Skating Rink.  The outside of the building looked pretty much like this:

The insides I had to just use my imagination and some reference pics from other roller rinks.

And for anyone that cares, here is the time-lapse:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:15 AM by Muserato »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Awesome work!!!!  I am in awe of your mad skillz.   :turned:

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 10:20 PM »
That looks awesome! Going further back in post history... I am so impressed with that tea cups cover!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Park file posted
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 02:44 PM »
So I went on a mad dash to finish this park.  I was procrastinating for a while.  This is a massive update that takes the park to a pretty much completed stage.  I will still make this a Scenario in the future.   Although I did record time lapses (with a  couple of hiccups), I will post those later, and I will also make a park video for the people that want to just see it.  For now, those that want to visit the park can get it from the steam workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1268299749

First an overview of the finished park:

Between the Skating Rink and the Mad Mouse there is now a horse riding area, which is sadly closed (because Frontier didn't make horses).

The Mills Chute (Log Flume) got it's building, supports, a station and surroundings

The windmill can be seen from the distance.  The chair swings got a simple queue cover

The Flash also got its station

Some old style shops

And how will the park work without electricity?

I left a hidden archer, if you download the park, I challenge you to find him :-)

Um, wow.  This story felt like it was just starting and then you went and FINISHED the entire park, and quickly at that.   I've kind of been in a non-posting mood lately so I get how this could happen.

I was already excited to download this before you challenged us with a hidden easter egg, but now I'm gonna be all over it.  Nice job!

love the domes...I hate trying to make domes in this game

Fantastic park! Love the whole concept. I would really love to see a few side by side pics with some of the rides you were trying to copy from the original park.

The archer was pretty easy to find. At first, I was looking inside trees and structures!

And I definitely agree, keeping it minimal is pretty difficult!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:39 PM by citytrader »

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.  JP, sorry for the rush job, but I wanted to get this park finished so I could submit it in time to the #wearewatching thingie, we'll see if I pass muster.  I am still making the time lapses and I will make I think not only a cinematic, but probably also an explanation video (if I don't chicken out about talking in a YouTube video, eek!)

Haha citytrader, yeah, the archer was super easy to find, but I expected you to go hunting in weird places, it was a reverse psychology challenge.

So in this pic you can see the Thriller, the Caterpillar and the midway games in the back

Here in you can see the Carousel building (which became the teacups because the carousel is too small widthwise) and the skating rink.  I did not want to make a fake unusable swing in the middle so I replaced it with the in-game chair swings.  You can also see the mill and a glimpse of the chute to the left of it.  the lights style i also sorta copied, not exactly because it looked like overkill.  And I did add the carousel in the empty field, because I will be using that carousel and my OCD won't let me have a huge empty field, must... put... tree.... gah! LOL.

Here is a picture of the Flash, for which I copied the style, but not really the structure as I could not find a decent picture.  I ended up making something "janky" enough to seem to belong.

The general inspiration for the mills chute came from here, crappy picture, but enough to get the feel for it.

Here is an aerial view, I took the general layout from it, but I didn't fully stay truthful to it especially on the Flash side (Right side of the park).  There is also something that looks like a side-friction across the street, but I could not find a reference to it in the ticket stubs, so I am assuming it got taken out of commission before 1970.

A naval map also helped a little with the layout.  Some of the rides, I skipped, specifically there is a "castle" walkthrough that I thought would take too long to make.  I am ready to move on to the imaginary 1972 version of the park.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:23 PM by Muserato »

Thanks for those pics! Love the way you put it all together.

I really love the roller rink, it's a darn shame no one goes into it. You did beautiful work there!

The castle walk through could have been fun. Ah well...

Here's your side friction, I believe;

It was there from 1905 and closed in 1950.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:05 AM by citytrader »

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Thanks citytrader!  Sometimes people go that direction since I put some shops at the back of the rink, it would be amazing to have them actually roller skate though.

I actually got inspiration for the station of the Thriller from that pic.  The other station was way too hidden and I preferred this one.

For anyone interested, I made the park into a scenario and it's up on the workshop.  If you play it please let me know your thoughts: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1270980738

I also have episode 0.7 up on youTube for anyone interested in such things (i.e. nobody).  It covers the Mills Chute and the Flash station.  Sadly I lost a bunch of footage, so it's not quite complete; but such is life.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:27 PM by Muserato »

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
Have to say, I downloaded this and took a walk around in your park and you did a really fantastic job of creating something that feels like an old historic park.   My first amusement park I recall going to was a small historic park that had been in our area since the early 1900s and we still have such a park in the north part of our state I have been two a couple of times.   

There was nothing flashy about those parks but people to this day have a lot of nostalgia for the one we lost here in this city.   I have aunts and uncles who don't think ever rode roller coasters anywhere but that park, if I bring up rides I have been on they tell the same story of the same coaster over and over... but that is the fun of it.  The memory of it is probably better than the park really was.

Great job!
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements