Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1977) - Update 2 (8/28/2018)

• 78 replies

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
For anyone that doesn't know about Planco Spotlights, first.. shame on you.  You should check out that youTube channel as it benefits Special Effect, the UK charity that promotes inclusion of disabled people by giving them access to gaming.  Second, you can check out the tour of Riverside the Bros took this week.   

I am still planning to create an overview with my reasoning behind some buildings and some minor details that were not mentioned during their visit.  Anywho, here it is:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:55 PM by Muserato »

Offline Berlin87

• Park Lunamoon
    • View Profile
    • Planet Coaster Fans on Facebook
Truly a unique project, and you pull it off so well. Can't wait to see more pics, and thank you for sharing the wonderful (and funny) video

Fun video, they have a knack for putting you inside the park and making it all feel real.  (And Mike only said "jank" once and I don't think it was even about anything you built!   ;D  )  And what a beautiful charity to be supporting.

But back to you:  You did a great job with this one.  Still in awe of how it felt like it was just starting up and then it was done so quickly.  Some great details, and neat inclusions that you don't see in most parks, like the stables and roller rink.  I think I'm starting to get hooked on projects that are based on real-world places, especially ones that aren't around anymore.  The education of it all is as fun as seeing the parks themselves.

Looking forward to your overview, I'm just not ready to walk away from this place just yet.  :)

Fantastic park, beautifully designed and executed!

The video was great, and Jon and Mike did your park justice! Congrats!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Thank you for the kind words guys.  It's been a blast to work in this park.  So I just realized that I never posted here the last speed build.

Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Episode 0.8
Here is the last speed build for this park.  In this one I make the cover for the Dodgems, build the shops in between the Flash and the Mills Chute, the cover for the carousel and some finishing details here and there like power lines and some additional details.

Playtime Gardens: Riverside Amusement Park (1970) - Final Overview
With the park done, I did a final walk around with some details about the builds, where they come from, inspiration and such.  It is the first time I make a video were I talk, so i was a bit nervous, but I'll get better... I hope, LOL.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:08 PM by Muserato »

Love your overview video.

All the details, like the leaves under the trees. Very subtle, yet makes for a beautiful whole!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Episode 1.1
------------------------------
An Alternate reality story:

Riverside Amusement Park had closed at the end of 1970.  A mix of bad management, and competition from more exciting parks in the area.  Not only were the finances a problem, but the "Whites Only" policies the park had in the 50's was always an issue, even if the policy had been reversed over a decade ago.  John Coleman could not longer sustain the $30,000 dollars a year that the park was losing, so he had to close it and sell it as soon as possible.

Wayne Taylor, an entrepreneurial 25 year old, had fond memories of the park and all the time he spent there with his friends and family. He even worked as a ride operator a couple of summers. He knew Mr. Coleman, but only as an acquittance.   His father however, as part of the city council was well acquainted with the owner of Riverside.

Seeing as, what Wayne considered his second childhood home, was about to disappear forever, he took action. He wrote a business plan, and was able to secure a loan from the bank to revive the park.  The fact that his father was part of the city council probably helped secure the loan, but who cares! "We take the wins when we can" Wayne said.

His father, John, wasn't to thrilled with the idea, but seeing that this made his mother happy, he agreed to help.  The real state investors were eyeing this property for some new housing development and were pressuring the city to change the zoning from commercial to residential.  John was going to use his influence to stall as much as possible, give his son's dream a chance.

Construction was ongoing for most of 1971, so the park was closed, but it was ready to open for the 1972 season and what a seasons this would be.  First things first, the name of the park had to change; there needed to be a way to avoid all the stigma that came from the previous ownership.  Since Wayne felt like this was an opportunity to save his childhood and to bring this same fun experience to a new generation, he decided that the park must be playful and follow a theme.  What better way to remember childhood that remembering your favorite toys.  And Playtime Park was born.  Of course Wayne could not obtain the rights to use the names of these toys, too expensive.  Instead he opted for theming that gave the suggestion of certain toys.  What could go wrong, right?

---------------------
Construction update:

The city started regular bus service to the area, even added a bus station.

Some crosswalks and better roads, additional parking as well.

Sidewalks and road signs were added.  And the Barn at the entrance got a coat of paint and a revamped park sign.

Inside the barn, the bathrooms got moved back a bit into a recess.

The Caterpillar got renamed to Springy

Even the queue got a springy colorful look

---------------------
Playtime Park:  Episode 1.1

I am changing the way I do these videos.  I will have a small explanation on what the video is about at the beginning and a time-lapse after.  So the first 3 to 4 minutes will be me talking about a couple of items, and then the rest will be a speed-build of most of the things I just showed.  I think that will make them more palatable and people can watch just the beginning just to get an idea of the progress.

The Bus:  Anyone interested in downloading the Bus, here is a link to the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1277353582

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Episode 1.1
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Woop! Now the story begins! Surprisingly, I can see the "Springy" queue in a black and white image xD It feels just right =p

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Well, this just made me very happy.  You're combining two great projects, so I for one am convinced that NOTHING can go wrong.  :P

The bus is incredible, but I happen to think you deserve an awful lot of credit for that pure 70's font on Springy!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Thanks for the comments and the likes guys.  I Hope everyone is enjoying this ride as much as I am.

Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Update 1.2
--------------------------------
Construction Update:

Refurbishing of the park continues.  The Thriller it turns out, was not that thrilling, especially because the wood was falling apart and it needed to be fix as soon as possible.  So Wayne hired the Philadelphia Toboggan Company to try to salvage as much as possible and renew the flash into the Magic 8 Ball, oops, did we say 8?  We meant 7.

The results: a more compact layout with more airtime.

They even installed a maintenance shed and a transfer track to ensure better operations.

It turned out that the midway game buildings were also in bad condition and had to be removed.  The Rocking Horse Hideaway took it's place, a great place to relax.

The Tea cups got new fencing, some paint, and got themed to Hi-Ho Berry-Oh! and a cherry on top.

If the park was going to turn around, new attractions were needed to keep the crowds coming.  So Wayne was able to secure a second hand Ghost Train ride for a phenomenal price; the savings allowed him to theme it nicely to the OUIJA board game.

Re: Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Update 1.2
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 04:23 AM »
The Ouija Dark ride is terrific! Just the sort of cheap (monetarily) attraction that you would find in a park of this type.

I like the design of the new rocking horse building, but I think maybe a coat of paint might be in order. It looks a little meh.

Looking forward to a POV of the new magic 7 ball coaster!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:25 AM by citytrader »

Offline Berlin87

• Park Lunamoon
    • View Profile
    • Planet Coaster Fans on Facebook
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 04:25 AM »
Absolutely LOVE the facade for the woodie, and what a great job you did on the custom signage.
Also +1 for the exchange track. Super realistic

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Oooh. So you're going to give this the theme you used for the Summer Comp. Cool! So far, it all looks terrific. Especially impressive is the woodwork in the early screens in the Roller Skate Rink and the Mills Chute. It will be fun to see this classic old park come to life with your wacky, colorful, and genius theming.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Meant to ask in my previous post, are you going to make each era of the park you create available for download?

Would love to see that, after you have presented it of course! :)

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Meant to ask in my previous post, are you going to make each era of the park you create available for download?

Would love to see that, after you have presented it of course! :)
Yes! Absolutely.  Once each version is finished I’ll upload to the workshop.  Planning on updating in 5 year increments after this.

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 07:49 PM »
As always you have lots of little details around that make it fit your story, very well done!
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Episode 1.2
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2018, 07:10 AM »
I already posted this stuff in images, but I had some difficulty getting to make the video.   

As with episode 1.1 I have a little overview at the start of the video (a little over 4 minutes).  Then a POV of the Magic 7 Ball (for citytrader  ;) ) at time 4:39.  And the time-lapse at the end for those of you that want to see how things were made.  Sadly I lost footage of the final version of the coaster and a little more.  You will notice I temporarily deleted the OUIJA and the Rocking Horse, i decided to split the videos because it would have been too long for a single one.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:56 AM by Muserato »

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Episode 1.2
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 09:28 AM »
It's been a little while since I posted.  But I am working on this still, just a little slower.   I might also skip the time lapses and maybe just do overviews.  Some of you may have seen some of these already on Twitter or on the BroNation discord.

Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - update 1.3
-----------------------------
Construction update:

The Mad Mouse needed a little love, and it got a new name, a new queue roof, and some light theming to the game of Mouse.... err... we mean Rat Trap.

Next to it, the horse rides had become less popular and the deal with the local ranch soured.  Something had to be done with the space.  A small-9 hole mini-golf seemed to fit just fine.   Groovy bonus, no manure smell in the park.

... each hole themed to a ancient board game of course, Ancient Go, Mohjahn, Chess, Checkers, Cribbage, etc

The skating rink needed a new sign, something more modern.

Inside:  a new coat of paint, some color to get the drab out, all new rental skates, and more fun with an instruction board

The Tilt-a-Whirl needed a canopy to protect from the weather, and got a new sign.  It is now called Tin Top, get ready to spin spin spin

And last but not least, who doesn't love Spirograph!  time to make your own patterns in the sky with the renovated SpiroSwing.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:02 AM by Muserato »

Re: Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Update 1.3
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 09:46 AM »
You are brilliant.

Ok, that was a vague comment and I'm so much wordier than that.  Mouse Trap, one of my faves.  Your signage is probably the best that has been done in this game.  The little tiny game pieces, (and such a great concept for mini golf.)  I've said it before in other people's threads, but you seem to have access to a whole slew of custom content that none of the rest of us get to use.  This really made me smile this morning.   :D

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Those Mahjong tiles. :o

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Everything looks beautiful! I love the signage for each of the attractions/experiences. I also love the classic looks you are going for which is always a pleasant surprise. Amazing job!

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2018, 08:34 PM »
While they seem small, all the updates in the park made it look even that more better.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - Update 1.4
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Sorry everyone, I did not mean to disappear.  I blame/thank two things: PlanCo burnout and CommandoSanta for pointing me toward Factorio, which got a lot of my attention for a while.   Great game by the way.  But I am ready to continue with this project again.  Some of this stuff I might have posted on Twitter already.  I am also getting close to sharing the park's 1972 version.

Playtime Gardens: Playtime Park (1972) - update 1.4
-------------------------------
Construction and minor story update

So then there was cousin Milton... A recent architecture graduate from Indiana State, was looking for opportunities to get some designs in his portfolio.  Mrs. Taylor, Wayne's mother, though what better place to get him started than to help with the rebuilding of the park.   Not only was she so thoughtful as to have him design the queue for the new ride his son was buying, she decided to have it all done in secret and have it built while her son was traveling.  It would be such a nice surprise.   John, Wayne's father, wasn't so sure it was a good idea, but went along with it anyway, happy wife, happy life right?  besides, how bad could Milton mess it up, right? it's just a queue cover?

And Wayne came back to this:

Needless to say, Wayne wasn't pleased.  How much money did they spend on all that concrete, glass, and steel?!?!?  It didn't even fit with the rest of the structures.  It felt completely out of place.  But it was too late, it was done, money would have to come out of the budget somewhere else.

The carousel got a few minor updates to its cover and queue, themed to the popular Raggedy Ann doll

The shops in front of the old Mills Chute got a paint job and new food items for a more fair-like feel

The Mills Chute was originally going to be replaced, but the new budgetary constraints forced a light theming to Slip 'n.... err, we mean Ride 'N Slide

New paint job and added flavor choices for the ice cream shop at the windmill.

The bumper cars also got a very modest retheming to the popular Matchstick cars.

And last but not least, the Flash was now the Linking Log Roll

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:33 AM by Muserato »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2018, 02:35 PM »
Looks FANTASTIC!  The realism is inspiring.  I'm trying so hard to make stuff look realistic like this but you make it look so easy.  Ha ha!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Ok, I am done with this park for the 1972 version (unless you find something wrong with it, please let me know).  Park file download here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1408178012

Looking forward to some comments and some constructive criticism

And Fisherman, your food stalls are great, I had to put some in the park, they work like a charm.  And the cotton candy freaks me out every time I move it,  :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:56 AM by Muserato »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 10:17 AM »
OMG I love it!  OUIJA is awesome!  You are amazing...

sorry the cotton candy rats skeered you...   :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Glad to see you back. I look forward to visiting the park.

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Very creative! Love the decor.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2018, 08:50 PM »
Wow, that was a lot for me to catch up on ;).  This is some truly awe-inspiring stuff.  Like how you did the lettering in the Frisbee sign.  Or the façade for the Rat Trap. Or the whole boargame area with chess, checkers, and mah jong, Or basically everything on this page.  Great stuff!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page