A Kennywood Park Recreation

• 29 replies

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
A Kennywood Park Recreation
« on: November 25, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Hello! Been working on a recreation Kennywood lately & just wanted to share my current progress :)

Entrance gate progress. Still have to do the main dome & fix the jank

A refrence photo that I attempted to match: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&biw=2048&bih=1041&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=LPEZWsP6D8X4_Abo2Lb4Dw&q=kennywood+arcade&oq=kennywood+arcade&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i24k1l2.1042796.1047200.0.1047328.18.13.0.5.5.0.128.957.10j1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.16.979.0..0j0i67k1j0i10k1j0i30k1j0i10i24k1.64.fkcFfoQpcrs#imgdii=NJJps_fSqSAC0M:&imgrc=taOyFMlW_VUytM:

I've been trying to incorporate all of the historical signage installed throughout the park.

Parkside Cafe

Back stage area & Jack Rabbit

Back Stage

Kennywood Blvd

Aerial view of the current progress

Though its not as creative as a fictional park, its been a super fun project so far & has presented a ton of very interesting/unique challenges to solve. Its also my first ever attempt at the ultra-detailed side of planet coaster & have been learning a ton!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: A Kennywood Park Recreation
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Looks wonderful!!  Did you make the track for Exterminator yet?  If not, you can grab the track from my Bats in the Belfry ride...it's a pretty faithful recreation of the track.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1175557162

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Thanks! :)

Unfortunately, I did already make the exterminator track, but i'll definitely check out/ compare yours and see if I can incorporate it.

BTW: Really awesome theming! The way the bats fly in and out of the tower is really cool!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Thanks...even with reduced friction I had to make mine taller than in real life...and I had to move the block brakes around a bit.

I will really enjoy watching you progress with your park.  I've only been to Kennywood once but it is my favorite park I've ever been to and I've been to many.  Ha ha.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:22 AM »
I've never been to Kennywood, but this looks really good so far. I especially like the back stage areas. Everything looks very realistic.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:14 PM »
Just wanted to share a video comparing my jack rabbit recreation and the IRL one..

The surrounding areas are still a work in progress, but the coaster itself should be pretty much done (with the exception of some minor terraforming & adding the coaster camera)

Recreation:
https://youtu.be/3RcT_DpRUSI

IRL:

Edit: sorry about the video's quality..
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 09:30 PM by Salad Fries »

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Made the Noah's Ark :) Definitely the most complex thing I ever built in planet coaster... Very fun

Also, just wanted to show off the lake :)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Awesome!   Noah's Ark and Jack Rabbit look perfect!

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 04:45 AM »
One of my all time favorite parks, and now one of my all time favorite recreations.

You are doing a super job! That Noah's Ark is terrific!

Looking forward to Garfield's Nightmare, and the Auto Race!

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:06 AM »
Awesome!   Noah's Ark and Jack Rabbit look perfect!

One of my all time favorite parks, and now one of my all time favorite recreations.

You are doing a super job! That Noah's Ark is terrific!

Looking forward to Garfield's Nightmare, and the Auto Race!

Thanks!

I haven't built the auto race yet, but have actually built Garfield's Nightmare. :)

I haven't really shown it off before because it was one of the first rides I built in the park & I don't quite feel that it holds up to the same accuracy/detail standards as many of the newer ones. I do plan on fiddling around with it, though, to try to make it more accurate (want to see if the new water coaster will work better for this type of application).

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Some really nice pictures  :up:

I love that ark and the shot across the water there.
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Join the Fun! Kirkmen Island
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 05:21 PM »
I am interested to see how you are going to do Phantoms Revenge

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Some really nice pictures  :up:

I love that ark and the shot across the water there.

I am interested to see how you are going to do Phantoms Revenge

It shouldn't be too long of a wait ;) Been deliberately working my way towards the phantom & only have a couple things left to do (turtle with the associated plaza & the lost kennywood entrance gate) before I start working on it.

I do have the lift hill & first drop built though (along with a rough first pass at the custom supports).

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Did some work in Lost Kennywood this weekend :)

Fountain

Small Fry's & Gift shop (plan to eventually do an interior for the gift shop)

SwingShot

Exterminator & Whip

Exterminator queue

Overall of lost kennywood so far

Main entrance with completed dome :)

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Nice to see you back to work on this! Looks terrific!

How are you planning on making the Turtle?

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Thanks!

Regarding the turtle, I'm not quite sure yet. I really want to keep it functional, so as janky as it sounds, I think im going to use a flat ride like the scrambler or something and add a skin around it (with all the hedges and bulky "turtles", im hoping the flat ride can be nearly hidden underneath)

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 02:50 PM »
You might want to consider making it non-functional using art shapes, etc. I like your idea, but you might get something more realistic the other way. Perhaps make a queue for another ride wrap around it, so it looks like peeps ride.

Also looking forward to seeing your version of the Auto Race, one of my favorite rides! And no, I wasn't there the day it opened! I think it was the second or third day.  :D

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Looks so nice!  Did you try my Whip ride for your Whip?  might be too large for that spot.  I'm happy to see you incorporating the new Vintage stuff in!  Kennywood is one of my favorite places on Earth...I can't wait to see more.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 04:01 PM »
You might want to consider making it non-functional using art shapes, etc. I like your idea, but you might get something more realistic the other way. Perhaps make a queue for another ride wrap around it, so it looks like peeps ride.

Also looking forward to seeing your version of the Auto Race, one of my favorite rides! And no, I wasn't there the day it opened! I think it was the second or third day.  :D

True, I may attempt burying a flat ride underneath or something. (did that with noahs ark). I'm excited for the auto race as well. I have a preliminary try at it & plan to use the car track ride. While i must admit that im kind-of leaving that part of the park for last (really everything on that side of the lake since it has been/will be changing so extensively), but hope to get to it eventually.

Looks so nice!  Did you try my Whip ride for your Whip?  might be too large for that spot.  I'm happy to see you incorporating the new Vintage stuff in!  Kennywood is one of my favorite places on Earth...I can't wait to see more.

Thanks! Ya, the vintage pack feels like it was made just for Lost Kennywood lol (fun fact, Lost Kennywood is actually modeled after the original Luna Park, which was located only a few miles away in Shadyside).

Unfortunately, I didn't try your Whip (though it looks spectacular!!). I really wanted to try to make the park as functional as possible, so I used the spooky track ride. The cars loop around the track 3 times and actually spin around the bends.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Being a resident Pittsburgher and a Kennywood obsessive I'll volunteer myself as a consultant for the park. I made a very accurate Jack Rabbit coaster myself if you want to give it a spin, even if just to help nail down your scale and compare.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1458715710
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:37 PM by Grrt »

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Being a resident Pittsburgher and a Kennywood obsessive I'll volunteer myself as a consultant for the park. I made a very accurate Jack Rabbit coaster myself if you want to give it a spin, even if just to help nail down your scale and compare.

Wow thanks! I do already have a jack rabbit already detailed, but I will definitely do a comparison :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 08:35 PM »
That looks great, SF.  I especially like the fake swing ride ;).

So why is this called "Lost" Kennywood?  Is this all the defunct stuff from over the years?  I know nothing of the real place.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 05:10 AM »
That looks great, SF.  I especially like the fake swing ride ;).

So why is this called "Lost" Kennywood?  Is this all the defunct stuff from over the years?  I know nothing of the real place.

Pittsburg's (notice no "H") Lost Kennywood was an expansion to the park which took place in 1995. It was designed to represent a bygone era of former amusement parks (most notably Luna Park).

While I'm not too sure if their original intent was to relocate some of their classic rides to this part of the park, they did relocate the Whip and Wave Swinger to this area as a few of its opening attractions.

Regarding its association with Luna Park.. Luna Park was a former amusement park in the Pittsburgh area from 1904-1909 & was the first of the 44 parks of the same name & the first park to be lit with electric lighting. During the era of Luna Park's existence, Pittsburgh was spelled without the "H", (hence the lack of the "H" on the pittsburg plunge and pittsburg's lost kennywood). Many of the buildings/attractions are modeled after/heavily inspired by luna park, including:
-The lake & pittsburg plunge (the chute the chutes ride was luna park's star attraction)
-The entrance sign (this is a 1/3 scale replica of Luna Park's original entrance sign)
-The gift shop & Pedros restaurant (i believe these were modeled after luna park, but am not 100% sure. old pictures show buildings that look relatively similar)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Now I'll have to do some further reading :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 05:09 PM »
While super minor, just wanted to some pics of Kenny's Parkway & some of the surrounding parking lot..

Also,

Grrt, Just wanted to say that your Jack Rabbit recreation was 100% spot on!! I did a comparison of our jack rabbits and they were both super close :) Yours was just a bit wider than mine, which is more accurate (mines too narrow).

Spoiler (hover to show)

IDK if its something you're (or anyone) interested in, but I try to keep the park's current progress on steam. I know its kind-of a mess with many 1/2 complete projects, but its there for anyone who wants to browse around and/or possibly do some collaborative projects for the park or something. :)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1174321992

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Looking good! Cannot wait for more updates!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 06:12 AM »
That's a nice ski lift.  Everybody's making ski lifts these days.  Guess I'll have to do that myself ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 11:17 AM »
I'm not familiar with Kennywood, but this looks great so far. I especially like the lakefront area where the flume is.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Coaster Cinema

• Planet Coaster Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I can't wait for Steel Curtain!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 03:19 PM »