A Kennywood Park Recreation

• 42 replies

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: A Kennywood Park Recreation
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Working on the thunderbolt & phantom :)

EDIT: sorry, forgot to give credit. I did use a workshop item.. The thunderbolt track is from Mr.Killjoy. I made some modifications to his track and deleted out all of the scenery that was associated with it, but i cant claim ownership of the thunderbolt track itself (i know it features quite prominently in the pics). The phantom, and all buildings/scenery are mine.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:00 PM by Salad Fries »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 07:39 PM »
I've never been there but I've studied those coasters and your versions of them look quite realistic.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Thanks Bullethead :)

Here's a small update. Pretty much finished with Lost Kennywood :)

Also, its still a work in progress, but here's a POV of my current progress for the Phantom's Revenge.

It still has some small smoothing/accuracy adjustments to make with the track as well as completing the scenery around the track particularly the area around the turtle, & phantom queue

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 07:12 PM »
I love the custom supports on Phantom's Revenge (the ride of which is much like the POVs from the real thing).  There's just an extra sign pole in the custom supports sticking out at the top of the lift.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Thanks! The custom supports were such a fun challenge! While I have dabbled slightly into custom supports, this is really the first time I did pretty much a full coaster that was custom supported (the bunny hills arent, but all of the tall structures are)

Thanks for the catch! IDK how, but I totally missed that one.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Thanks! The custom supports were such a fun challenge! While I have dabbled slightly into custom supports, this is really the first time I did pretty much a full coaster that was custom supported (the bunny hills arent, but all of the tall structures are)

I originally dreaded doing custom supports.  WHY?!?!?!?  Not being a coaster geek, I used to think the game did them OK.  But then I actually had to build 3 coasters worth of custom supports in a park recreation, which showed how inappropriate the stock supports often are and, after figuring out some time-saving techniques, I discovered it wasn't so bad building my own.  I'm much better at mechanical repetition of menial tasks than I am at creative thinking  ;D.  Thus, I've come to enjoy doing it and have since then made a bunch of coasters with custom supports, and it's only gotten easier with the support parts we got a few months ago.  So welcome to the club.  I just hope this doesn't distract you from actually doing creative stuff ;).

Thanks for the catch! IDK how, but I totally missed that one.

I know exactly how.  You had to make a dense tangle of stuff all the same color so it's easy for extra pieces just used as templates to blend into the background from most angles and thus get forgotten.  Happens to me all the time :).

Which brings up something I find interesting.  Those early Arrows were so densely supported.  It's as if Arrow didn't at first realize that a track made of 3 interconnected steel tubes would maintain its shape by itself, without needing a bunch of supports just to keep the rails at the correct spacing.  So those coasters looked like steel woodies, or even overgrown Galaxis, all of which were based on railroad technology.  But after a while, they realized that such tracks really only needed a few pillars here and there to keep them up in the air, and thus was born the modern look with relatively few supports.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 06:37 AM »
OMG I love it!!!!!!   :o :w00t: :D ;D

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Thanks Fisherman & Bullethead :) Ya, its remarkable how densely supported arrows are.

Made the turtle, potato patch, and lost kennywood gate.

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Been many years since I've been there, but it looks terrific!

Can't believe what a nice job you did on the turtle with just basic shapes. All the planters and other details really help set the stage. Great work!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 07:18 PM »
WOW WOW WOW!!  This is just wonderful.  Makes me want to go back there.  It's been so long since I was there...17 years!  Dang time flies.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 08:16 PM »
I keep thinking I need to see Kennywood in real life.  This is making me want to ever more.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 05:15 AM »
Thanks!

Bullethead, its a really nice little park! Lots of one-of-a-kind historic rides, cool views of the steel mill, and some awesome coasters (particularly if you're into woodies). The phantom is surprisingly intense with all the ejector air through the bunny hills as well.

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 10:41 AM »
I haven't been to Kennywood in 9 years.....but this recreation really makes me want to go back. It's soooooo good! I can't remember the name of the blue coaster in the front of the park but it was brand new when I went. The history in this park is amazing and the quirkiness of Racer and Jack Rabbit cannot be over emphasized...they are truly 2 of the most unique oldies on the planet......really looking forward to seeing this progress. Great work so far.
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.