Holliday Harbour 2018: Final photos and download link

• 110 replies
Holliday Harbour 2018: Final photos and download link
« on: December 01, 2017, 02:57 PM »
I got bored with Expo City a couple of weeks ago and put it on the back burner so I could finally play with the pieces from the Spooky Set.  Decided to try mimicking a couple of buildings from the Lemax Christmas collectibles, and it sort of evolved into this.

"Holliday Harbour, is one of the oldest villages in America, or so they would have you believe, located on a small island off of Cape Cod.  The size and geography of the land prevented it from ever growing past village status.  It remained quietly off the radar until the early 2000's when the villagers united to capitalize on their rich historical architecture and opened the island up to tourism."

There's a story for this in my head, not sure it's all that important to the pictures.  I've probably got close to 50 unique buildings so far and I'd like to get up to a hundred buildings this month.  I think it would be cool if I managed to post some each day until Christmas.  [Probably won't happen.]   No flat rides, no coasters, and only two track rides with a third one possible should I decide to add a train.  Mostly I think I'm just trying to force myself to get into the spirit.  :)

Also: workshop content so far not created by me:
Boats and cars, Wings&Strings
Boats and buoys, Bullethead
Fire hydrant and exit sign, Fisherman.

I think you know the links, but if not let me know. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:52 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
Re: JP's Christmas Collection 2017: Holliday Harbour: Day 1
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Are the imagines not working JP? I so wanna see your work, I'm sure it's great! But images aren't present for me!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I can see them. And they're quite beautiful.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Ah I see it now! Beautiful work :3

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  If the pictures keep showing up delayed like that let me know, might be time to find someplace to host them besides Steam.  Not the first time that has happened.

Update #2, some civic buildings along the town square:

^^ Kind of a not intentional but sort of intentional Gilmore Girls vibe on that shot.  Don't judge me.

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Models, whether they be railroad or Christmas villages, make GREAT PlanCo inspirations, I've found. These are all lovely.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Thanks Muserato!

Thanks MB; I totally agree.  I think you'll get more realism from the railroad stuff, but these villages seem to fit my style, as well as the exaggerated PlanCo scale.  They're also a little bit cartoony.  :)

Day 3, more town square stuff:

My story would go that there was once a railroad line connecting the island to the mainland, but since the town was so small it wasn't profitable and once the tracks went into disrepair they were torn down.  The station remains along Main Street, now being utilized as the station for the sleigh ride through town square.   Maybe now that the island is making some money another train route can be explored again.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 3
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:20 AM »
that new roof pieces just look so awesome! nice buildings you got there!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:14 PM »
I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff... I love it! You've done an amazing job. Really looks like the perfect Christmas village.
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:04 PM »
that new roof pieces just look so awesome! nice buildings you got there!
Yeah, not gonna lie, I saw those roof pieces as the closest thing so far to Shy's main street set and I had to play with them.

I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff... I love it! You've done an amazing job. Really looks like the perfect Christmas village.
I'm realizing as I'm posting pictures that the street details (and some structures) are looking kind of sparse, I'll have to work on adding more details as I catch up.

Thanks guys!!!!   :)

Day 4:   Bev's Bridal Boutique

Not sure if "Parfumerie" is a word, but I'm five minutes from bedtime so I'll google it later  ;D

About every five buildings or so I build something I really like.  The "Tick Tock Watch & Clock" shop is one of them.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 4
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:12 PM »
I love the clock shop but also the shop next to it looks really charming! Keep it up!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 4
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 07:38 PM »
Thanks Jay.  The Tobacco shop is a pretty simple building, not much more to it than what's in that shot.  Some of these are really easy and others take hours.

Day 5...

Clock & Watch is the first building you see when the doors on the sleighride station swing open, and then your sleigh continues down Mainstreet where just tonight I added a few structures to fill out the dead space.   The medical building was already there, but now there's an insurance agency and law office past it.  And a lovely (but simple) Painted Lady Victorian off in the distance to frame the shot.  [There's a reason why none of these streets are straight, and why the terrain elevation continues to increase the further you get from the water.]

Your sleigh turns right past the tiny Elementary school and enters a residential street.

More dead space to fill in all of these shots, and only 20 days left to do it  :sweat:  (Buildings that can't be seen from Village Square are not required to have the white Christmas lights, which lets the schoolhouse, and me, off the hook.)  It will also explain later why the buildings on the wharf aren't lit as much.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:42 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 5
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16 AM »
How the heck did I miss this. Perfect way to get me into the Christmas mood ;) Seriously though, It looks great and that picture that's on the SGW homepage could be a Christmas card. Brilliant stuff

Offline willwheeler2014

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22 AM »
This place puts my Snow Village set to shame. Very Nice Work!!

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I love the buildings here they are all so well done and different. A lot of charm in this park! The Christmas theme is really fitting too
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 08:50 PM »
How the heck did I miss this. Perfect way to get me into the Christmas mood ;) Seriously though, It looks great and that picture that's on the SGW homepage could be a Christmas card. Brilliant stuff

I figured we could all use some extra help getting into that mood this year.  Thanks Nemmie!

This place puts my Snow Village set to shame. Very Nice Work!!

I checked out that link... I'm tempted to try and copy some of those buildings now as well.  Seems like a more realistic scale.  :)  Thanks!

I love the buildings here they are all so well done and different. A lot of charm in this park! The Christmas theme is really fitting too

Yep, every building unique so far.  I did clone one building and re-theme because it had basically the same dimensions.  I won't be telling anyone which buildings  :P   Thanks Matt!

Day 6...

Just houses.  They're kind of boring to build compared to the shops, but peeps gotta live somewhere.

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 6
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 03:06 AM »
So, so very charming. Your architecture never ceases to amaze me - you keep raising the bar for all of us!! I can't even decide which building I like the most, but if pressed I'd say the clock shop and the white plantation home / court house

Hope we can do a collaboration one day.  :love:

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 03:18 AM »
The model for the plantation / colonial was yellow, but there was a yellow house next to it, so I landed on white :)

I like that one as well, also the dark blue one with the turret in this update, and the painted lady Victorian from the last update.  But I stand by my statement that houses just aren't as fun as shops, at least in this project.  Give me a good Sims game and I'll build houses all week :D

I'd be honored to collab sometime.  Maybe a summer challenge if I can keep my schedule in control  :P

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Day 7: Wagman's Department Store

I took some extra time on this one, even got the idea of having the sleigh ride go through the store, so an interior had to be added.

A couple of interior shots that you won't see from the sleigh ride (without turning your head).   These buildings are small.

And you definitely won't see this, the sleigh can't go up stairs...

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 7: Wagman's Department Store
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 02:39 AM »
What a wonderful world! I love all thosse different styles of architecture. Its so versatile but blending together just perfectly.My favorite is the white mansion like building from the  Day 5 update.
The attention to realism and details are very good as well and the christmas atmosphere is captured a 100%

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 7: Wagman's Department Store
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 01:41 PM »
It is quite the cluster of mismatched styles, I think the only thing saving it is that they all seem to be from the same era.   Thanks ZeroG!

Day 8:

Spent some extra time on the Toy Store; a Christmas town has to have one of those.   :)

I'm seeing now that the unarked building to the right of the toy store didn't really get any love.  It was filler at the time and I forgot to go back to it.  So off I go...

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 8
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Day 9...

Bigger than usual update, I think I've finished off the "village" part of the project, which still leaves the piers and some random touchup and gap-filler stuff.

This was moved from another part of the park, it didn't fit thematically with what I started doing over there.  It does fit here near the beginning of the sleigh ride, but it had to be repainted slightly as not to clash with the Victorian down the street.

Seems it only snows right over the path of the sleigh ride.  Odd.

Based on the model, this was supposed to be a pharmacy, but it felt a little grandiose for that.  So I made it into a ballroom, at which point it still wasn't much of a show stopper, but at least my first attempt at icicle lights has helped it out a little:

As the sleigh turns right at the ballroom, the village will transition away from colonial victorian and into more of a Dickens/old London theme, at least for a block or two (which is why I had to move the dress shop.)  This adds an entire minute to the sleigh ride, so yay for that.

Meanwhile, I went back into Wagman's because the sci-fi elevators were a lame copout on my part.  I redid the shot, but sadly it won't show up in the POV unless I manually turn heads.  Not sure I want to do that, I don't want you all to end up with whiplash.

Random gas station in the middle of nowhere...

Interior of Sleighbell Station.  I'm mostly just doing this to show off the shoe-shine chairs.  Duh.

Your first map of the village, which shows have far I've come and how far I still have to go in the next 2 weeks.  The boat ride POV is questionable, but the sleigh ride should be a sure thing  [famous last words]   Also questionable?  This thing where I do daily updates, not sure what I was thinking there. 

And I can pull the camera back a little on this shot now that you've seen closeups of all these things.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:46 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Still so perfect. I’m going to have to save some of these pictures for reference; your execution and style is just that good. Literally the only thing that’s missing from this is a bit of snow on some of the roofs and a few icicles here and there.
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 07:41 PM »
Still so perfect. I’m going to have to save some of these pictures for reference; your execution and style is just that good. Literally the only thing that’s missing from this is a bit of snow on some of the roofs and a few icicles here and there.

Thanks so much.  There is some snow on some rooves, but it's not very consistent.  The same with the lights, which was why I made up the "town square" rule.   As for icicles, I've only tried it on a couple of buildings.  The options in this game are the gingerbread frosting, and it's very exaggerated and shiny, even for a town built off of exaggerated models.  We may have to go with the story that after a heavy snowfall at the end of November, the village went into a dry spell and most of the snow either melted or was cleaned up.  Then, it snowed again on Christmas eve.  A miracle!   :whistling:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:01 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Ah, no sadly I’m not. I can only see the last two. I thought it was just my internet connection, but I wanted to comment my general thoughts on all your updates since my last comment.

It’s strange that the forums recognized that they were images and even added the appropriate dimensions into the code. Seems like it might something on the image host’s end.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:59 PM by Future Imagineer »

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 08:02 PM »
Try a refresh, and if that doesn't work maybe close the whole browser and re-open.  I think they're there now, because I could see them on my phone and then when I went back to the computer they were finally showing.  Yeah, this occasionally happens with Frontiers servers. 

Another edit:  I've had to add my own width parm to every update for about the last 6 months, which is why I had already assumed this was my fault.  For once, I'm innocent :D

(This conversation has been edited so much that people are gonna come along and be like WTF are they talking about?)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:08 PM by JPAlmighT »

Re: Holliday Harbour Day 9: Let It Snow
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 05:53 PM »
I absolutely adore this! It is just like one of those Christmas villages people set up in their houses for the holidays! I really love this; I don't think I can express just how much. So many lovely buildings! I keep going back to that elementary school building; something about it is just so simple and beautiful. Anyway, I'll stop gushing and just go through the photos again. I really am looking forward to a POV in the future!
formerly Catgrrl on Atari forums

Re: Holliday Harbour Day 9: Let It Snow
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 07:51 PM »
^^You are correct, all of these buildings are based on collectibles from the Lemax sets.  I'm very much hoping to do 2 POV's before Christmas gets here, I guess we'll see how it goes.  Thank you so much for your kind words.

Day 11:

This is that "Little London" area I was talking about with hopefully some Dickens influence.  It wasn't planned that way but certain buildings in the sets seemed like they would group well together on a street like this.  As such, the Americana aspect is going to bleed in on some of these shots.

Yes, Holliday Harbour has a harbor.  And eventually we'll get there.  :)

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour Day 11: "Little London"
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 06:12 AM »
Gosh...I just love this. It's everything I want a real Christmas village to be! I can see so much of the inspiration in your shots. Might just be my favorite holiday project ever made in a game like this. :)