Holliday Harbour 2018: Final photos and download link

• 110 replies

Offline willwheeler2014

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour Day 11: "Little London"
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40 AM »
Holiday World in Indiana could take some pointers from this park you are making. Awesome job!!

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 11:09 AM »
This is such a beautiful little winter wonderland. The street is so charming and magical. I like that little tracked ride around the town too. It's beautiful.
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 03:53 AM »
This is such a lovely little park, JP. I'm always amazed at how quickly you seem to work. Really looking forward to taking the ride through the streets!

Offline msebastianz28

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 05:18 AM »
This is just crazy good and so detailed. I look forward to more updates.

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Gosh...I just love this. It's everything I want a real Christmas village to be! I can see so much of the inspiration in your shots. Might just be my favorite holiday project ever made in a game like this. :)

Haha, I do find myself wanting to live here a little.  :)   Thanks MB

Holiday World in Indiana could take some pointers from this park you are making. Awesome job!!

Now I'll have to look that up, I need some ideas :D   Thanks!

This is such a beautiful little winter wonderland. The street is so charming and magical. I like that little tracked ride around the town too. It's beautiful.

Thanks Matt.   Hopefully a POV for that by next weekend

This is such a lovely little park, JP. I'm always amazed at how quickly you seem to work. Really looking forward to taking the ride through the streets!

I've been trying to budget about an hour per building, and there's over a hundred buildings, and... yipes.  Let's not do anymore math, it's depressing me.   :D   Thanks Mineral!

This is just crazy good and so detailed. I look forward to more updates.

I feel like I'm starting to lose some detail as my "deadline" draws near.   I hope the last week of building retains the charm of the first few.  Thanks!

--------------

Day 14

A couple of the side streets that connect the village to the harbor.

^^I like this shot.  There's a rat living in the garden behind the winery.  Fortunately the cameras won't be down here for either of the POV's.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 14
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Every structure in this park is just so CUTE. It looks just like a little model town that you'd see in a miniature model museum. Or under the Christmas tree. It just needs a model railroad to circle around it. Just brilliant.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2017, 12:14 PM »
It's nice seeing pictures of your Lemax Christmas village and all, but when are we going to see some pictures from PC? ;)
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2017, 09:25 PM »
Every structure in this park is just so CUTE. It looks just like a little model town that you'd see in a miniature model museum. Or under the Christmas tree. It just needs a model railroad to circle around it. Just brilliant.

You're right.  I'd been wanting to add a railroad in for awhile, and today I did. :)

It's nice seeing pictures of your Lemax Christmas village and all, but when are we going to see some pictures from PC? ;)

Ha!  I was wondering today how much it would cost to own all of these buildings I've been making, I'm guessing it's in the thousands.  Planet Coaster versions will have to do for me.   :P

Thanks guys!

Day 16: (and 15...)

We're getting closer to the harbor now.  I've been working on this little mini-nightlife plaza along Boardwalk Blvd.

Wings & Strings got a shout earlier for his workshop contributions.  Here's one for Fisherman.

The Tower Theater turned my 1 hr per building turnaround into more like 3 hrs.  I was happy when it was finished.

My shout out to myself is this little piano bar.  I liked how the keyboard on the sign turned out.

Since I was already using the original village train station as my sleigh ride station, I added this new depot on the outskirts of the village.  The train circles the village and harbour but does not interact with anything in them.  It interacts with... mountains.

I also liked how the lighthouse turned out and can't wait to see it on video.  It's tall enough to show up in both POV's. 

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 16
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 10:34 AM »
Day 18:

The green townhouse is new filler in a prominent location...

Children's museum...

Oceanic Wildlife Museum... (I wanted it to just be a whale museum but then I wouldn't have been able to shoehorn in those statues...)

The Tea Room (bad picture :(  ) ...

Our tour has finally reached the harbor!

Today's bonus shot:  My first non-Lemax structure in this park.  Anybody recognize it?

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 18
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Day 19: 

A brief status, pretty much on track for 2 POV's this weekend, maybe a park file on the workshop by Christmas.  The new adventure DLC has given me a lot of ideas and contains a lot of pieces that are surprisingly useful.   While the entire project is now SO much bigger than my original vision, I still feel like there's much more I can do with this, which makes me want to take it past the holidays.  We'll see.

Onto the harbor...  there's Wings&Strings' tugboat at the end of this pier, which is how most visitors get to and from the island.

The station for the Harbour Expedition boat ride.

^ One (of my many) lame attempts to re-create a Lemax shop sign.  Some turned out ok, the kites is not really one of them.

Here's two of my favorite buildings on the piers.  I really like the L-shaped staircase on the front of the tattoo parlor, gives it some added interest that the other buildings don't have.

Offline joutlaw

• Six Flags New Mexico - General Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 16
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 09:25 AM »

Today's bonus shot:  My first non-Lemax structure in this park.  Anybody recognize it?

I'm probably way off and will look like a total dork, but it resembles the beach house from Nights In Rodanthe. lol

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 19
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I'm probably way off and will look like a total dork, but it resembles the beach house from Nights In Rodanthe. lol

You are correct.  The only thing dorky is that it's a lame romance movie, but totally worth watching for the house.

Kind of hard to capture the dimensions in PC but I think I got the general shape.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 12:42 AM »
oh i love this tattoo building! so much awesome looking and different looking houses! Is there a way to get an overview picture? to see the whole city? :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 07:51 AM »
Thanks Jay.  The video(s) will have some overview stuff, otherwise yeah, definitely more night shots and overhead type stuff after I film and release that.  It's my cheap trick to add some POV wow-factor.  :)

Day 20:

A better shot of the Tea House:

Sometimes a picture is better than being there.  The smell...   :vomit:

I'm very proud that I only used workshop content from 3 artists in this project (so far.)  The third and final shoutout is this brewery... Remember Bullethead beer from Peony Park?  Now we know where they make it.   :P

Lots of unfinished-ness going on in the Pier area, I have to make some decisions what things are worth finishing up before I start my filming.  Anything not visible in a POV has taken on low priority.

Like this unfinished coal building...  It was a late addition and if I'd thought of it sooner (and the adventure pack had come out earlier) I would've maybe re-routed the boat ride to go through the interior.  I guess there's always next year.  :(

The Village has definitely begun to embrace the tourism when you see things like a heavily themed cider stand.  I think it needs more tables...

And Jay, I guess this is the closest to an overview shot today...  The longest pier on the harbor offers a sightline view to the Pier theater up on the mainland.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 20
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 09:08 AM »
oh wow! love it! the oyster bar is cute, and also the coal house looks nice with the hounted house windows :) nice one! and thx for the "overview" Shot :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 05:08 PM »
I don't know where you get the time to create one beautiful project after another...and so quickly. The town is just so adorable.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2017, 04:38 AM »
Sorry I haven't commented earlier. This is a very cute and very ambitious project! It looks terrific!

Kind of reminds me of my RCT3 Bedford Falls village. I never finished it, but I had cars and trucks driving around the streets. Maybe you could consider doing that with the Luna Autos as well as having the sled ride. How long is the total ride anyway?

Really wonderful work!

Offline willwheeler2014

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Haha, I meant quite the opposite. Holiday World needs to look you up when building in the future. The Koch Family that owns the property could take a lesson in theme for the Holidays.

Amazing additions!! I really like how you did that "Pier" sign with the lights. Looks fantastic! And I heard a shout out from MaskedBandit in Connifer Slopes
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:58 AM by willwheeler2014 »

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Just love this project. There is so much charm in the architecture and feel of this project. You use of different angles in your building clusters really adds detail and depth.

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 08:10 PM »
oh wow! love it! the oyster bar is cute, and also the coal house looks nice with the hounted house windows :) nice one! and thx for the "overview" Shot :)
Thanks Jay.  Those are actually not the haunted house windows, I lit them with signs so it would look like something really hot was happening inside. :)

I don't know where you get the time to create one beautiful project after another...and so quickly. The town is just so adorable.
This was definitely a speed build, you'll be able to see where lots of corners were cut for the sake of time.  Thanks so much!

Sorry I haven't commented earlier. This is a very cute and very ambitious project! It looks terrific!
Kind of reminds me of my RCT3 Bedford Falls village. I never finished it, but I had cars and trucks driving around the streets. Maybe you could consider doing that with the Luna Autos as well as having the sled ride. How long is the total ride anyway?
Really wonderful work!
Both rides are a little under 4 1/2 minutes.  Nothing too fancy.  I agree those carriage cars would be a good fit for this town; maybe next year I'll add them in so you can see all the things that these two rides won't show :)

Haha, I meant quite the opposite. Holiday World needs to look you up when building in the future. The Koch Family that owns the property could take a lesson in theme for the Holidays.
Amazing additions!! I really like how you did that "Pier" sign with the lights. Looks fantastic! And I heard a shout out from MaskedBandit in Connifer Slopes

Thanks, Will.  I've been so busy with this I didn't even realize Bandit was still working on Conifer Slopes!  :-[  But I found his channel today and caught myself up, even heard the shoutout.  Me and my ego both enjoyed that :D

Just love this project. There is so much charm in the architecture and feel of this project. You use of different angles in your building clusters really adds detail and depth.
Yep, that that level of non-gridding definitely couldn't have happened in RCT3!  Thank you!

------------

Day 21:

Today was probably my last day to build in the park, if I don't start filming tomorrow there might not be any POV.  (On account of my video incompetence, hehe.)  There's still plenty of pics for me to put up though.

This is the last section of the piers, kind of an afterthought to transition them off into the distance so the town boundaries aren't as harsh...  Definitely not part of the original plan for the park, hence neither of the rides will go over here.

^^The winery is named "Marla's Vineyard" because I'm witty like that.

And I didn't want to put any buildings on the beach this far from the main piers, they'd mess up sightlines.  This quick little boardwalk was a good way to keep the street from looking unfinished.

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 21
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Well, first take of the video was good but a bit laggy.  I want to try and do better before I upload, so... maybe tomorrow.  At least now I have a solid backup plan.

Meanwhile, here's a couple of pics for Day 22.  Just some background houses (low detail) to fill some space at the foot of the mountains.

^^Another non-Lemax.  I won't make you guess this time, it's my attempt at the Stratford Inn where Bob Newhart worked in the 80's.

Re: Holliday Harbour: Day 22
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Finished the video.   I like it, and I don't like it.  I really wanted perfection on this, for some reason it just seemed important to me.  It's not perfection, but it is slightly better than my original take.

If you have 12 1/2 minutes to spare, please enjoy. 

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:57 PM by JPAlmighT »

Re: Holliday Harbour Day 23: The Movie
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2017, 07:01 AM »
What? You created an entire town and yet there is no Dry Cleaner? Are you kidding me?!?  :D

Seriously, wonderful job! Not a single cookie cutter structure, they all have their own charm and personality. The attention to detail is visible throughout. Love all the little touches, but my absolute favorite has to be the guy shoveling snow. Such a mundane thing and yet it adds so much to the "realness" of the town.

Really, really awe inspiring work here! Thank you!

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2017, 01:58 PM »
beautiful. felt like I was watching a movie at the beginning and some of the shots throughout.

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2017, 06:51 PM »
What? You created an entire town and yet there is no Dry Cleaner? Are you kidding me?!?  :D
Seriously, wonderful job! Not a single cookie cutter structure, they all have their own charm and personality. The attention to detail is visible throughout. Love all the little touches, but my absolute favorite has to be the guy shoveling snow. Such a mundane thing and yet it adds so much to the "realness" of the town.
Really, really awe inspiring work here! Thank you!

Haha, I'm totally going to go back and build a dry cleaner now.  There was a surprising amount of content in the adventure pack that I was able to incorporate in at the last minute, the snow shoveler and gems in particular.  Thanks so much

beautiful. felt like I was watching a movie at the beginning and some of the shots throughout.

By the end I was really feeling that "this is a movie" vibe, hence the black and white opening shot.  That is exactly what I wanted to hear.  Thanks, Wowman.

This Christmas deadline (that I gave myself) really affected both the build and the video.  One hour per building really isn't enough to add in too many significant details, and maybe I should have traded in the extra buildings at the end for better details in the build.  I have a lot of ideas I'd like to incorporate into the park itself, maybe for some more forum posts, maybe for another release next year.   Also, by the end of this I realized that I was sticking a little too close to those tiny models I was using...  I could've gained some realism by using a more realistic scale and color palette, possibly even gained some details that the models (toys, basically) didn't have.  Trying to match up with the collection was kind of fun at the time though, and maybe somebody will recognize something from their own mantle someday.

As for the video... crikey.  I don't know how you guys do this on a regular basis.  The main thing that was wrong with the first take was the lag, it didn't seem as apparent while filming but on the finished product I couldn't take it.  It wasn't severe, but it was taking me out of the experience, especially on the boat ride.  So I went back yesterday to refilm and edit the whole thing, and realized that with Cheat Engine it would take 4 times as long (both recording AND post-production) so I had to make some decisions.  I refilmed about three scenes, including the boat ride.  Since Cheat Engine doesn't work for in-game sound, I opted not to refilm the sleigh ride. 

The music was all a happy accident.  For the duration of the build I was planning on songs from the Titanic soundtrack (it was just the first thing in my head, probably because of Wings&Strings' tugboat), even had some events synced up to it.  Three days before filming I decided that I had to go with Christmas music, but didn't know what to use.  Many artists auditioned for me, but theatrical soundtracks seemed like the easiest fit.  And while I don't give 2 squats about David Archuleta, that song was damn beautiful and one of the choruses synced perfectly with the fireworks.  (I even re-edited when the two things didn't match perfectly.)  From there the music dictated which scenes I could use, how many scenes and their duration.  A few good shots were cut so I wouldn't lose a good scene change.

Speaking of good shots, those 2 flying camera shots went PERFECTLY in my many rehearsals.  One time I was even able to keep flying indefinitely with the smoothest shot ever.  It didn't work that way when I was recording.  And trying to do it with cheat engine made things worse.  I know N7 has a trick where he creates a dolly with a coaster, but I had so much more freedom just doing it by hand, and now I know better.   

It's been awhile since I've made and uploaded a video, so I just about went into shock when YouTube first played it in lo-definition.  I deleted my first upload and researched it, couldn't find any answers, and uploaded again.  I was just about to re-edit the video all over again when finally the youtube version started playing in high-def.  Ugh.  I feel like I've been living as a Noob my whole life. 

It was only then that I noticed the cursor on the screen in 2 of the shots, including the damn opening and the first part of the boat ride.  It was too late, I was out of time.  I had to go to work for 12 hrs today and tomorrow (yes, Christmas.)   So that's my video story.  Again, it's not a horrible video and moments are quite good, but to be THIS CLOSE.... :facepalm:

Anyway, my thanks to everyone for putting up with all these pictures, that video, and this overly long story.  Here's the link to the park file so you can at least explore the things I didn't show well.  When I have time to play again I'll probably start re-working the whole file so I wanted to give you the version from the video, incomplete as it may be.  Enjoy.

(There's no custom music in the park, and the billboards are very sparse and not critical.  They're off the web so I really don't own them in the first place.... just the church windows, shops in the department store, and maybe a couple of posters down by the pier.  If you really want them let me know and I'll put them in Shyguys' downloads.)

Thanks again, and have a very merry whatever it is you choose to celebrate :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1242942916

Re: Holliday Harbour Day 24: POV notes and park download file
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2017, 04:46 PM »
I'm so sorry I haven't had a chance to reply; Christmas was busy! I downloaded the park and I just love it! I spent quite a lot of time "walking" through everything.  It's hard to decide what building is my favorite. What I really love are the little touches in each building to make them a unique style or theme. I also love how you used the lit billboards to make the windows seem to glow at night. It's a great idea! Also love the planetarium at the Children's museum. And the names for the shops are fun. Thanks again for making this available!
formerly Catgrrl on Atari forums

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2017, 04:54 AM »
I've just watched the video. God, it's beautiful.
And the amount of building work you did here is phenomenal. And the crystal cave was the perfect finale to the boat ride.  :up:

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Wow!  The number of buildings in this is insane. Really enjoy all the styles in the architecture its very well done.  The whole park is very organic in feel it all just seems to work together it really is very impressive.

Also what a test for my old PC that was custom build just for RCT3.   I now have hope I wont have to build a new one for Planet Coaster until summer...
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Thank you for the magic! That was... glorious.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2017, 10:09 AM »
phenomenally, beautifully, utterly magical.  Gives me all the good feels of Christmastime.   :D