Holliday Harbour 2018: Final photos and download link

• 110 replies
Re: Holliday Harbour Day 24: POV notes and park download file
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2018, 06:54 AM »
I'm so sorry I haven't had a chance to reply; Christmas was busy! I downloaded the park and I just love it! I spent quite a lot of time "walking" through everything.  It's hard to decide what building is my favorite. What I really love are the little touches in each building to make them a unique style or theme. I also love how you used the lit billboards to make the windows seem to glow at night. It's a great idea! Also love the planetarium at the Children's museum. And the names for the shops are fun. Thanks again for making this available!

No apology necessary; Decembers are WAY too busy, but hopefully in a good way...  One thing I really liked about the Lemax models was that even without signage, there was always some kind of detail somewhere that told you what kind of business was in that building, and I think I was able to incorporate many of them.  Thanks for your nice words and for the download! 

I've just watched the video. God, it's beautiful.
And the amount of building work you did here is phenomenal. And the crystal cave was the perfect finale to the boat ride.  :up:

Thanks so much Nemmie.  That crystal cave is maybe the one time where having the waterfalls "turn off" when you get too close ended up being a good thing.  Otherwise you'd be wet.

Wow!  The number of buildings in this is insane. Really enjoy all the styles in the architecture its very well done.  The whole park is very organic in feel it all just seems to work together it really is very impressive.
Also what a test for my old PC that was custom build just for RCT3.   I now have hope I wont have to build a new one for Planet Coaster until summer...

Thanks!  I would say if you're able to get reasonable FPS on this park then you should have no problem with any of your own builds for quite some time... this is a lot of scenery all very close together and layered, so there was lag even on my halfway decent PC.   

Thank you for the magic! That was... glorious.

And you said you never know what to say when you leave comments...  that was a wonderful comment right there.  Thanks TMH!

phenomenally, beautifully, utterly magical.  Gives me all the good feels of Christmastime.   :D

That's some high praise from the master!  :D  My boat ride pales in comparison to the video you just released, but I will gladly accept the compliment.  Thanks so much!

-------------

Well, turns out I just didn't have anywhere to go with this after the POV, so it's going on the shelf.  Thanks for the downloads, views, and comments...  and remind me that if I ever do a Christmas project again to start earlier, haha  :P

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:56 AM by JPAlmighT »

Re: Holliday Harbour Day 24: POV notes and park download file
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2018, 08:17 AM »
It's now December, and Holliday Harbour is once again open for business.  "But I went last year," you say, "And it was really expensive.  Why should I go again?"

Lots of reasons!  There is so much new stuff to see and do, like our new Carnival on the Pier!*

[*very much a work in progress, and Midway booths refurbished from RubleTrillions' workshop creations]

Take a ride on our new Carriage Tour and see all the things you didn't get to see in either of last years two tours!

Try your hand at some ice skating; you can't be any worse than these people!**

[**idea blatantly stolen from citytrader]

New shops and attractions abound, and original buildings are being refurbished.  There's something new to see everywhere!

This year we promise to have more snow, more poinsettias, colder temperatures and higher prices!  What are you waiting for?  Rooms are filling up***, make your reservations today!

***No, they're not.

And in case you missed it, here's last years epic travel brochure to get you in the "Holliday" spirit!

Offline CoasterCad

• Imagining since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour 2018
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Sweet mother of god, this is stunning. Thank you for reposting that video, holy baubles, that was amazing, i wouldn't want to have missed that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:57 AM by CoasterCad »
Let your imagination take you to take great places.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2018, 04:12 PM »
That first pic, with the vibrant colors and warm lighting reminds me of a vintage children's book illustration from the 1930s (or so). And your last screenshot looks like an elegant Christmas card. :)

And speaking of cards- Your 2017 video is one magnificent, 12 minute 35 second Christmas card filled with nostalgic good cheer. :up:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:14 PM by JB »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2018, 09:33 PM »
It looks great, JP, even though I personally hate Christmas :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2018, 10:12 PM »
^ looks like Bullethead's heart is 2 sizes too small. :P  I prefer to celebrate the Winter Solstice- the new year, which is what the holiday was all about, originally.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2018, 04:11 AM »
Hurrah!!!!!!
I love this project so much. Seeing it back makes me one happy puppy. Christmas has now officially started ;)

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2018, 04:18 AM »
Loved this last year, and I'm sure I'll love it even more this year!

Thanks for the shout out regarding the ice rink, but I stole that idea from someone else (forget who!)

Can't wait to see your updates!

P.S. - Is there a Dry Cleaner this year?  ;D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2018, 12:37 PM »
^ looks like Bullethead's heart is 2 sizes too small. :P  I prefer to celebrate the Winter Solstice- the new year, which is what the holiday was all about, originally.

I celebrate both the Solstice and Saturnalia :D

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2018, 01:14 PM »
wonderful!!  I LOVE the ice skaters and the carnival!

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2018, 01:17 PM »
Sweet mother of god, this is stunning. Thank you for reposting that video, holy baubles, that was amazing, i wouldn't want to have missed that.

Thank you.  I got kind of pissy last winter when I posted the video and hardly anyone saw it.  I'm sure the fact that I posted it a day before Christmas had absolutely nothing to do with that  :P.   Still, so glad you enjoyed it.

Haha, that's not true at all.  Bullethead has no heart.   [kidding.]   I'm glad you're getting the nostalgia vibe that these Christmas villages seem to be all about.

It looks great, JP, even though I personally hate Christmas :)

I'm not a fan myself.  But rather than go into all the reasons why I hate it, I will say that if it makes us want to be better humans for a month I'll take the win, and avoid arguing that we should be good to each other the 11 other months as well.   I also like the idea of finding the beauty in winter, because there's nothing otherwise beautiful about cold, snow, and ice.  (We got 6 inches last night and I just came in from the first phase of my shoveling.  Ugh.)

Hurrah!!!!!!
I love this project so much. Seeing it back makes me one happy puppy. Christmas has now officially started ;)

Haha, I like when Nemmie is happy.  You were one of the few who saw that video last year and your response is permanently etched in my mind.  I can't repeat it here though :P

Loved this last year, and I'm sure I'll love it even more this year!

Thanks for the shout out regarding the ice rink, but I stole that idea from someone else (forget who!)

Can't wait to see your updates!

P.S. - Is there a Dry Cleaner this year?  ;D

There is now.  Welcome to Holliday Harbour, CT. 

Thank you all for the kind words!

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2018, 01:19 PM »
wonderful!!  I LOVE the ice skaters and the carnival!

You posted that just as I was posting replies...   Thank you, I was trying to do some work on "Fisherman's Inn" yesterday, I never really liked how it turned out the first time.  I'll see if I can't get it figured out this week.  :D

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Wonderful to see this back. That last screenshot looks as perfect as a postcard.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2018, 04:49 PM »
I also like the idea of finding the beauty in winter, because there's nothing otherwise beautiful about cold, snow, and ice.  (We got 6 inches last night and I just came in from the first phase of my shoveling.  Ugh.)

There is absolutely nothing beautiful about snow, other than the same sort of savage beauty that an artillery piece has.  Both bring great woe to multitudes and look good going it, but unless you REALLY need to bring great woe to multitudes, they're both best left in storage, regardless of their savage beauty.

I have been through a war were I frequently called down the savage beauty of artillery on many, many multitudes and, frequently received the same in return.  I have also driven 18-wheelers through the savage beauty of lake-effect snow, prairie blizzards, and snow squalls on all the US mountain passes that have names of infamous memory amongst truckers, always passing some other poor bastard's rig upside down in the ditch every mile or so.  IMHO, savage beauty is still beauty but it's something you can only appreciate out of the corner of your eye, with whatever small fraction of your attention isn't engrossed in current events.  Otherwise, it's ugly and I want no part of it.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Hah Ha! Between running Derek's antique store and now your dry cleaner, Im exhausted!!!  :P

Seriously, lovely job!

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Wonderful to see this back. That last screenshot looks as perfect as a postcard.

It's a fun little project, and isn't suffering from the current lag bug [ironic, because this place is huge now].  Thanks Shyguy!

There is absolutely nothing beautiful about snow...   ...Otherwise, it's ugly and I want no part of it.

Hopefully given your locale you won't have much to worry about.  Meanwhile, not even a week into December and this year has already been much worse than the last 9 years, at least.  I'm getting more than miserable  >:(

Hah Ha! Between running Derek's antique store and now your dry cleaner, Im exhausted!!!  :P

Seriously, lovely job!

The good news is you only need to be here in December.  The locals can do without dry cleaning the other 11 months.  :P
Thanks!

-----------------------

So the carriage ride is pretty much finished, and since it's the only new tracked ride this year, I could/should probably start to filming the POV while the lag is decent, just in case Frontier makes it all worse again next week.  It's a much more exciting ride than either of the two rides I built last year, and I think it will be fun making a "sequel" to last year's film. 

The boardwalks/harbor area won't be showing up much in the video, so I'm focusing on adding stuff just where I know the cameras will see it.  Today I added a Visitors Center at the start of the ride...

There's a Christmas tree farm now (I changed the Lemax name of "Henry's" to "Nemmie's" just because, hehe.)

Since much of the ride circles around the perimeter of all the stuff I built last year, more houses were needed, and some old houses have needed to have backs put on them as well as better lighting. 

Speaking of shouts, here's one for Shyguy.  Last year Lemax released Ebeneezer Scrooge's house, and I knew it would fit well into my Dickens-themed area.  Shyguys' eyes are in the window above the door, representing the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come (nobody who hasn't read this thread will even notice them or know what they mean).  The lighting on this one is different than the rest of the town, it's supposed to have an eerie glow to show it's being visited by spirits all night.  And I also have witch's sparks flying out of the chimney, but they don't really show up on any of my test runs of the carriage ride... yet.   I broke my 1 hour rule building this (mostly because of that turret) but it was well worth it, and the house itself will look great in the POV.

The street it sits on was there last year, but only a couple of these buildings existed in the original download.  I still want to add more buildings to this street because it's one of the few times during the ride that the car isn't swerving wildly.

Last year's shouts were just for the three builders whose workshop content I used.  Wings&Strings has a music store.   Fisherman has an inn, but it didn't feel like it had enough detail in the original build.  Here's where I've got it so far, with help from the World Fair pack...

Oh, and Bulletheads Brewery is thriving, probably with all the new business this year from Lake Jeronimo and a fresh contract with Peony Park.  :P   If anyone sees Bullethead, they should probably tell him to get the snow and ice cleared off that awning before somebody gets killed.

This one still needs better lighting, but one of the new Lemax models this year was a home brewing supply store, so I just added it onto the back of Bullethead's brewery as a side business.  Between the beer and the custom coasters Bullethead should really be very wealthy right about now...

I don't think there's anything new in this shot, I just thought it looked pretty at this time of day...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2018, 11:08 PM »
Wow! The lighting in these screenshots is so perfect. Who would've thought that a teal sky with pink snowdrifts could look so wonderful, magical, and heart-warming? Every image would win first place in a photography contest.

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2018, 11:27 AM »
You are doing a wonderful job bringing your village to life! All the little touches are really making this one beautiful town!

Really looking forward to seeing your new ride!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2018, 07:27 PM »
JP, the snowpack is on the loading dock roof and neither shippers nor receivers care about truckers even though their lives depend on them, so I supposed the snow will remain up there until either it melts or some poor trucker bastard gets hurt.  And in that unfortunate case, it's a problem for the trucking company's workers' comp insurers, not mine.  Meanwhile, my slaves employees have their own jobs to do, on strict timetables, which don't involved knocking snow off the roof.  The sacred business of brewing takes no notice of the weather.  Not when you have the Sumerian beer goddess Ninkasi to satisfy, or else.

That said, I take time out of my busy day fighting subrogation suits from truckers' workers' comp insurers to appreciate, and be greatly honored by, this monumental and beautiful building erected in my name.  Of course, Ninkasi hold the mortgage,  One of these days, I'll make something worthy of hanging your name on, but I've got a LONG way to go given as you've repeatedly set the bar higher and higher.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:29 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2018, 08:32 PM »

JB:  That was so kind that I just named a building after you.  It's in this update.

CT:  Thank you.  If all goes well I'll try and put the video together this week.  I think I've run out if ideas for things to add [this year.]

BH:  Well, the snow on the roof isn't melting any time soon, but since I probably won't be letting peeps into town until the video filming is done at least no civilians will be harmed. 

-----------------

Random builds over the past few days, nothing significant...

Yes, we have chimney sweeps now.  Figured it was safer than having you guys climb up on the roofs of your shops and trying to do it yourselves.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2018, 10:36 PM »
From JB to JP: I'm honored. Thank you. :blush:

I'll be sure to keep the floor swept and the spices fresh. :up:  (And try to keep as much rat poop out of the spices as possible.)

Everything about this park speaks to the nostalgia part of my brain- even though the buildings appear to be from the early 1900s, yes? Even before my  time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:41 PM by JB »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2018, 05:03 AM »
Yes, we have chimney sweeps now.  Figured it was safer than having you guys climb up on the roofs of your shops and trying to do it yourselves.

That looks exquisite, JP!  You have a real gift for building stuff.

BTW, now that you've got chimneysweeps, are you planning to get some snowplows, too?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2018, 05:15 AM »
There ARE snowplows this year.  Only 2 so far but we could use another.  [Trucks with oversized shovels attached to the front bumpers... doesn't get much easier than that :P]

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Every screenshot is just beautiful. Thanks to the homage to my eyes. ;) Although isn't the ghost of Christmas yet to come the real scary one? I'm not sure how I should take that. :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2018, 11:17 AM »
JB:  Early 1900's seems fair for these types of villages.  And I'm glad you noticed that rat-crap.   There's a whole herd of them in an alley not far from your shop.

SG:  True.  But I figured Scrooge had to be Mr. Wonder.  And the ghost that's always drinking is obviously Wanda.  Scooter does not fit anywhere into this equation.

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2018, 09:20 PM »
great job capturing the look of this park. the work and the quiet winter scene feel of this is awesome

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2018, 09:27 PM »
Thanks, wowman.  I think I've finished adding buildings, an even filmed a trial-POV tonight.  (Considering the number of possible collisions that could occur and a couple of timed elements that I have limited control over, it was a near-perfect take, and at a tolerable framerate of 15.  And then one pesky janitor had to commit suicide at the very end.)  Which means, since I need to film again I'll see if one of the existing buildings can be named after you  ;)

--------------------------

It should be noted that it isn't snowy and miserable year-round in Holliday Harbour.  In fact, there's a couple of weeks in July where you might want to get your feet wet.   So we have a beach.

It's a small beach, tourism season ends on December 26 and then it's practically a ghost town until the following December.   [The lifeguard station and lighthouse were imported from Lake Jeronimo; why re-invent the wheel?]

About 30-ish new buildings were added to the town this year, the last of which were finished today. 

Last year's lighthouse is one of my favorite buildings in the town and plays a fairly prominent part in the boat ride, plus it tends to show up anywhere I do filming.  So I wanted to give it (along with a bunch of other buildings, mostly on the pier) some improved lighting visibility.

A small handful of buildings were relocated and replaced, like this schoolhouse.  Which means it's going to show again up in this year's POV even though the majority of the new ride takes place behind everything you saw last year.

One last look at town square before I hit the editing room.  If 15 is as tolerable a framerate for you guys as it is for me, I might have the video up yet this weekend.  Otherwise I can wait until Tuesday and see if Frontier can improve upon that.  (Since this park file was mysteriously unaffected by the lag bug, I'm not optimistic that it's going to get much better.)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Seeing these pictures is like finding our mailboxes stuffed with Holiday cards almost every day. Thank you, JP. :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Thanks, wowman.  I think I've finished adding buildings, an even filmed a trial-POV tonight.  (Considering the number of possible collisions that could occur and a couple of timed elements that I have limited control over, it was a near-perfect take, and at a tolerable framerate of 15.  And then one pesky janitor had to commit suicide at the very end.)  Which means, since I need to film again I'll see if one of the existing buildings can be named after you  ;)

A janitorial suicide is a rare event, even at BSI wages!  I hope you preserved that observation for posterity to further the research into the lifecycle of these enigmatic creatures :).

It should be noted that it isn't snowy and miserable year-round in Holliday Harbour.  In fact, there's a couple of weeks in July where you might want to get your feet wet.   So we have a beach.

Too bad the park is closed then.  But I'm sure the management opens only the beach for those few days to take advantage of the business opportunity.

[/quote]If 15 is as tolerable a framerate for you guys as it is for me, I might have the video up yet this weekend.[/quote]

I'd actually prefer 14.  For some reason, my eyes are attuned to multiples of 15 herz so I see every pulse in 60-cycle fluorescent lights.  And FPS needs to get below 10 before my neural post-processing can't fill in the blanks.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Seeing these pictures is like finding our mailboxes stuffed with Holiday cards almost every day. Thank you, JP. :)

Aw, thank you.  Last year I did this overly ambitious thing where I posted every day until Christmas (I think... I'm also thinking now I started slacking before the end of it, so there's that... :)  )   I took it easier on myself this year, hehe.

A janitorial suicide is a rare event, even at BSI wages!  I hope you preserved that observation for posterity to further the research into the lifecycle of these enigmatic creatures :).

Haha, not as rare as you would think.  The POV shoot took me all day, nearly 20 janitors died in the process.   You'd think I'd just fire them for ruining my shots, but I spent a ridiculous amount of time burying peep-barriers under the street, which they then turned around and ALL IGNORED ENTIRELY.    And since the onride was filmed with no peeps in the park, I did want some staff around.  Just not in the path of my carriage.

I'd actually prefer 14.  For some reason, my eyes are attuned to multiples of 15 herz so I see every pulse in 60-cycle fluorescent lights.  And FPS needs to get below 10 before my neural post-processing can't fill in the blanks.

Well, you're in luck.  It fluctuates slightly so 14 will be in there.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it came in consistently closer to 20 (had to turn the FPS counter off for filming, so no idea.)   Last year I filmed with cheat engine and this year I didn't have to and the framerate seems to be
even better.  I guess Frontier has done some quiet optimizing this year in addition to their recent massive de-optimizing.

I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs now.  The new "movie" is done and YouTube is decoding it.   It says 5 minutes remaining but I'm thinking it takes even longer before the HD version shows up.   Either way, I'm not going to bed until I can post it.   You call all [crickets?] take advantage of this time to make some popcorn...