Holliday Harbour 2018: Final photos and download link

• 110 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour 2018
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2018, 09:25 PM »
Haha, not as rare as you would think.  The POV shoot took me all day, nearly 20 janitors died in the process.   You'd think I'd just fire them for ruining my shots, but I spent a ridiculous amount of time burying peep-barriers under the street, which they then turned around and ALL IGNORED ENTIRELY.    And since the onride was filmed with no peeps in the park, I did want some staff around.  Just not in the path of my carriage.

Well, at least your carriage's wheel bearings are well-greased now.  Hopefully,m you didn't spend much on the source material :).

As you seem to have discovered, peep barriers stop peeps, not staff, so as to make staff-only paths.  Staff movements can only be controlled by 1) path placement and 2) work rosters.  And they have many uncontrolled movements, as shown by what happens in the dark corners of Jeronimo Park :)

Well, you're in luck.  It fluctuates slightly so 14 will be in there.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it came in consistently closer to 20 (had to turn the FPS counter off for filming, so no idea.)   Last year I filmed with cheat engine and this year I didn't have to and the framerate seems to be
even better.  I guess Frontier has done some quiet optimizing this year in addition to their recent massive de-optimizing.

Yup, PC's performance has been on an upwards trajectory until 1.9.  But they say they've fixed that so hopefully next week all well be well again.

I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs now.  The new "movie" is done and YouTube is decoding it.   It says 5 minutes remaining but I'm thinking it takes even longer before the HD version shows up.   Either way, I'm not going to bed until I can post it.   You call all [crickets?] take advantage of this time to make some popcorn...

You sound like me.  I thought Omaha, which used to produce globe-spanning nature shows (Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom), would have better internet than Lousy Anna's armpit, which has never been anything but temporarily cleared jungle.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Re: Holliday Harbour 2018
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I believe you on the peep barriers, however after the onride I let in 300 specially selected peeps to serve as extras for the offride shoot.  They didn't pay any attention to my barriers either.  The common denominator appears to be lazy construction on my part.

And speaking of lazy construction, this years' Christmas movie is ready for it's premiere.  I got the running time 5 minutes shorter than last year, so you really have no excuse not to watch this one.  Unless you have a life that is.

Like it's predecessor, this one has all the usual jank and could've/should'ves that you've come to expect from me.  So in that regard, it's a worthy sequel.  So without further ado, here is Holliday Harbour, 2018.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour 2018: The Movie
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2018, 12:46 AM »
I love these sleigh/car rides through Holliday Harbour! Especially where the path is blocked and we have to go off-road through snowbanks and under train trestles and through department stores. I liked the guy shoveling snow so he can get to his car. Had to laugh at the ice skaters- guess they could use a few lessons.

Thanks for this video Christmas card. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:55 AM by JB »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2018, 10:44 AM »
What an awesome video. I liked how it starts as a leisurely car ride through the town, and then towards the middle, turns into Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for a short while. Did you time the near collision with the train or did that just work out that way? I also loved the ice skaters falling all over the place, and the Crystal Caverns. You've created a Christmas masterpiece here. Very beautiful and inspiring.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2018, 11:33 AM »
This is SO amazing!  IN.  ALL.  RESPECTS!  Seriously, the architecture and layout of the park itself and all the gorgeous details everywhere you look.  The lighting.  The inept ice-skaters (which cracked me up).  The realism and non-repetitive nature of all the scads of buildings, which still all go together so well in a Norman Rockwell-esque townscape.  The hiding of the car and sleigh tracks so well.  The crystal cave.  The car ride that starts out as a nice drive through town and ends up like the chase scene in the "Blues Brothers".  The cinematography, not only of the initial flyover but the other clips as well, including the synchronization of various rides and fireworks.  And the music was excellent, too.  Just a masterpiece of many masterpieces.  Wow!

Too bad you had to screw it up with that ratty old schooner in the beginning ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Of course, the best part of the movie was at 2:40!

Seriously, beautiful job on this. I can't really think of anything to say the others haven't already. Beautiful mix of sights and sounds. Love the look of the boardwalk park. Your skaters were wonderful!

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I don't know where to begin, i like everything you've done.

Unless you have a life that is.

Everyone should watch this. Wether you come home from a hard day's work, woke up from sleeping your hangover off or staying at home calling in a sick day, this project/video will brighten everyone's day.

Thanks for making this awesomeness and thanks for the credit  :up:.

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2018, 03:24 PM »
I love these sleigh/car rides through Holliday Harbour! Especially where the path is blocked and we have to go off-road through snowbanks and under train trestles and through department stores. I liked the guy shoveling snow so he can get to his car. Had to laugh at the ice skaters- guess they could use a few lessons.

Thanks for this video Christmas card. :)

The off-road thing was a happy accident; the hill that was originally going to take your car back down to the city ended up being too steep for the track limitations and there wasn't enough distance to smooth it out.  So I had to improvise, and I'm glad for it; totally changed the dynamic of the ride.

What an awesome video. I liked how it starts as a leisurely car ride through the town, and then towards the middle, turns into Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for a short while. Did you time the near collision with the train or did that just work out that way? I also loved the ice skaters falling all over the place, and the Crystal Caverns. You've created a Christmas masterpiece here. Very beautiful and inspiring.

The near-train collision WAS timed, but only because I knew where the train had to be when the carriage ride started.  It won't work that way for everyone when they try it at home, sadly.

Too bad you had to screw it up with that ratty old schooner in the beginning ;)

Hey, you leave that schooner alone.  The guy who built it is a friend of mine.    :mad:up:

Of course, the best part of the movie was at 2:40!

Seriously, beautiful job on this. I can't really think of anything to say the others haven't already. Beautiful mix of sights and sounds. Love the look of the boardwalk park. Your skaters were wonderful!

Hahaha, I had to go look what was at 2:40.   I should've known!

Everyone should watch this. Wether you come home from a hard day's work, woke up from sleeping your hangover off or staying at home calling in a sick day, this project/video will brighten everyone's day.

Thanks for making this awesomeness and thanks for the credit  :up:.

I feel like you might have revealed some personal details with that comment, hehe. 

Thank you all so much, so glad you all liked it.  A fun build that went by much easier than last year since all of the hard work was already done.   :D

-------------------------------------

So this is my movie post-portem post, kind of a walk through of stuff you could've easily missed, especially because of the lower framerate combined with the higher vehicle speed.   I'm honestly surprised the cameras managed to catch as much as they did.

There's a huge problem with that initial flyover that I just didn't want to take the time to re-shoot... it was my first time using an inverted coaster as a camera dolly, and it worked really well except that I didn't control the pacing properly.  The opening music this year was much slower than last year and at once point there's a too-tight curve when the coaster is moving too fast, and it just doesn't align with the pace of the music.  The camera gently slows back down to fit the music but that one moment in between just doesn't really work.

Also, the whole village was initially built last year facing in one direction, the direction I planned to film the flying camera shot from.  At the last minute this year I changed it for the camera to come in from somewhere else, so as not to repeat myself.  And then after the video was shot, I realized how much the backs of some of those buildings were unthemed.  Luckily it's dark and the camera is flying quickly, but you definitely get to see some unfinished work.

The carnival pier was intentionally left unfinished, I knew the new DLC would have some flats that might work and I didn't want to re-theme flats.  I may still get them added in before I release the new park file, but didn't want it to hold up the video.  So the offride footage at the end doesn't really show much of the carnival, and the cameras are much closer than I would've wanted.

Here's the walkthrough.  After last years' 2 gentle strolls I wanted something a little more lively.  I hadn't planned to crank the vehicle speed up to maximum though, but I needed to for the song to fit.  So some of this flys by really fast.

Right out of the station, there's 4 people waiting for their carriage so they can get to work.  The posts on the station porch obstruct them a bit.  It's a chimney sweep, a department store elf, Mrs. Claus, and Santa (without his coat).  Somehow they will all get to work on time, before you see them later.  (Not Mrs. Claus though, I ended up having no use for her.)

You would've had a nice view of the town if you had looked to the right while in the covered bridge...

My favorite thing in this ride is the guy falling off the ladder while trying to hang lights.  You can hear him scream as he falls, but by that time if you're not looking in that corner of the screen you won't see him.

Right after that, another thing you won't see unless you look to the right; "children" playing in the back yard.

As you head up the hill to the first trestle, there's a nice horse ranch off to the left. 

Nothing really interesting happens in the graveyard, which is fine because you don't really get to see much of it.

If this scene hadn't happened, you would've continued along the same road and drove past a cave leading to the north pole as a spoiler for year 3.   Kind of glad I didn't do that though, since who knows what I'll be doing a year from now or if this park file can even handle another season.

I added the 2nd carriage ride to the park to add some traffic to the streets and liven up the town (since I knew I'd be filming without peeps.  Not just the lag they'd have brought with them, but they'd have been getting trampled left and right.)   There was no collision risk with the 2nd carriage ride, the tracks don't overlap so I wasn't worried about their placement during filming as long as they were visible somewhere.

And JB, I told you there were rats nesting not far from your store.  Dumpsters are usually a great place to find food.

What happens next is what I called my "Back to the Future II" moment, where you repeat a scene from the previous movie and almost run into yourself.   I wanted the carriage to go through the department store again, but not using the same entrance so you wouldn't see it coming.  The problem is that much like the 2nd carriage track, I wanted the sleighs to be running the entire time of this ride as well.  Except, in the department store, the tracks DO overlap, and I went through about 20 takes making sure there were no collisions.  The final result meant that even though the sleighs were running, somehow you don't end up seeing them anywhere else on this particular take of the ride.  So I could have just turned them off completely and saved the 20 takes.   :facepalm:

^^You can see off on the right how I only themed the parts of the interior that would show up on either of the 2 rides.

Subtle changes to the Beacon theatre since last year, including a ticket seller in the box office.  Many of HH's buildings received similar mini-makeovers this year, but I pulled back from doing too much of it in lieu of focusing just on the ride and the movie.

"The cops and the drunk" scene was literally one of the last things added, and if any of my earlier takes had worked this wouldn't have been here at all.  I kind of wish I'd thought of it sooner and did more with it, like sound effects so you know to look in that direction, and maybe something better for bottles.

NOT the same Santa from the department store, this one is just ringing a bell to take up collections for charity.  I should've gave him a bucket for the money, but the carriage makes a very sharp turn here and you barely see anything.  You do hear his "bell" though.  It's kind of big.

The fireworks at the end were obviously timed, and what a pain that was and what an ugly fireworks show it turned into.  I blame this guy, it's the first time he's ever done this.

That's about it.  Because of the aforementioned crashing sleighs and suicidal janitors, it took way more takes than I wanted it to and I ended up ready to be done with it by the end of the onride shoot, even though I still had all the offride stuff to do.  The lengthy black-screen at the end pretty much suggests I had run out of usable footage and didn't want to start up the game to get more.  Hey, it was getting late and I had to work the next day.

I did know that I wanted to end it with another trip into the Crystal Cave, mostly because I designed a "Northern Lights" effect for Santa's cave that didn't get used, and wanted to use those lights somewhere.  So I added them, and some other effects to the crystal cave so you could see it one more time and not have it completely repeat the previous experience.  But after the video was made I ended up with a complete surprise and I thought it was kind of beautiful:  I had added some additional lighting to the lighthouse, and didn't even think to realize it would reflect into the water for the final scene.

The moral of the story is that anything "good" I ever do in this game is absolute pure luck.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Thanks for the behind-the-scenes.  I definitely need to watch this again as I missed several of those scenes (like the ladder guy).

Don't knock the flyover.  I thought the brief burst of speed actually worked fine, like Tinkerbell had to dodge a nighthawk or a load of gooseshot :).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2018, 06:29 PM »
I think the tightness of that curve was the biggest problem, and that the camera was clipping rooftops.  Don't laugh, (or do) but I knew there was a similar flyover at the beginning of that Jim Carrey Christmas Carol movie, so I watched it again and the camera wasn't dodging all the chimneys, it went right through most of the obstacles.  So that made me feel better.

Before todays game update I was considering going back and re-filming the whole thing, fixing everything I mentioned in this post.  But we would've had to have seen a significant framerate improvement to make that worth my time.  As it stands, I'm going to be ok with the framerate I got out of this.   Even if you missed the man falling off the roof. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:34 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2018, 08:48 PM »
I think the tightness of that curve was the biggest problem, and that the camera was clipping rooftops.  Don't laugh, (or do) but I knew there was a similar flyover at the beginning of that Jim Carrey Christmas Carol movie, so I watched it again and the camera wasn't dodging all the chimneys, it went right through most of the obstacles.  So that made me feel better.

Well, that's better than the intro credits of the 1st "Men in Black" where the camera followed an insect right into a windshield :)

Seriously, though, when I see such things, I don't envision the camera as on some machine or drone, but on some flying creature.  All of which are relatively small due to the laws of physics, and thus usually are prey to something larger.  So they never maintain constant speed all the time because that makes them easier to track, and they periodically must take evasive action.  Thus, I saw the change in speed as added realism.

Before todays game update I was considering going back and re-filming the whole thing, fixing everything I mentioned in this post.  But we would've had to have seen a significant framerate improvement to make that worth my time.  As it stands, I'm going to be ok with the framerate I got out of this.   Even if you missed the man falling off the roof. 

I saw absolutely no problems with the FPS in the video.  It was smooth as silk on my end, so I was wondering what you've been complaining about :)  Until I opened my summer contest park just now and had constantly stuttery FPS with 5700 peeps in it, whereas when I last looked at it (right after 1.9) there were only occasional stutters, like when I panned the camera while having a long line of sight so it had to draw a lot of new stuff that hadn't been in the frame before.  During the contest, it was smooth as silk.

So I dunno.  I feel so bad for you, Derek, and all the others who've been suffering such monumental lag.  But it's not hitting me to anywhere near the same extent and my computer's 8 years old running Win7 (although it was totally top-shelf in its day and the vidcard is only 2 years old due to the original frying).  Thus, while there's definitely been a net performance drop over 1.9/1.10, the difference in severity has to be caused by something system-specific, with a little (but not much) variation caused by the number of TMT objects subscribed to.

Which means Frontier can't do much to help and you'll have to find your bottleneck.  I STRONGLY suggest opening a support ticket.  That way, you'll get 1-on-1 support with daily emails and the techs will help you figure out what your roadblock is.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Quote:  "And JB, I told you there were rats nesting not far from your store.  Dumpsters are usually a great place to find food."

And a fine, healthy bunch of rats they are, too. They feast on only the highest quality of herbs & spices from my shop. Maybe I'll get them to do the 'swallow-a-tablespoon-of-cinnamon' challenge. I'll tell them that I'll record it and that the video will be posted on YouTube so the whole world can see them doing the cinnamon thing. Yeah, that'll work. And then afterwards, they'll all end up in rat heaven... Problem solved.

Thanks again for this beautiful and entertaining video JP. And thanks for the mention in the end credits (OMG!!!1!!1!) Seriously though, it means a lot to me.

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2018, 06:51 AM »
BH:  The Frontier lag bug only hit me in Peony II.  I think this one is running on the FPS that a park this size should have.  [You have an 8 year old computer?  That's kind of amazing for a gamer.  I'm already wanting another one and it hasn't even been 2 years yet!]   :facepalm:

JB:   If you can do that, I have some mice in my garage that might like to spend some time with you, hehe.   You're welcome for the mention, but getting any support these days is a big deal to me as well, so my thanks to you and everyone else that commented on this year's updates. 

-------------------

Well, I'm done playing with this for the year so I suppose it's time to put all these buildings back in their Lemax boxes and tear apart the model train set once again.   I tried to finish up that pier carnival area, adding in 2 rides from the MRC.   Eh.  You'll be able to tell it was all kind of shoe-horned and that area was never really meant to support flat rides and the pathing requirements they have.  Workshop download after this last set of pictures.

Wowman, I forgot to snap a picture but your name was added to a building...  It's the optical store somewhere in the middle of the town, you see it on the sleigh ride but it didn't show up very well in the carriage ride POV.   I hope you know how to repair eyeglasses.   :)

Workshop download:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1598029120

The usual caveats:

Tried to give credit to all workshop/TMTK content both in the video and on the workshop page.  If anyone was missed I sincerely apologize, but let me know and I'll at least get the workshop credits updated.

I couldn't think of any significant billboards except for some movie posters and the shops in department store, I did upload them here last year but can't find the link now.   (Shy, if they're still around the site somewhere could you add the link?  I couldn't find the original Peony Park billboards either so I'm clearly doing something wrong.)

The park is obviously unfinished as usual.  It was built for photos and the videos and not so much for actual peeps to have a good time.   Enjoy it for what it is.

You'll get some alerts when you first start up that some rides are missing their stations, that is intentional.  You'll also get alerts that peeps are trapped in the park, that was not intentional, I'm guessing some path changes happened while they were busy trying to have fun somewhere. 

That's it for this year.  Thanks again for all the support, and I do hope that whatever holidays you celebrate are merry and well, gay.  :P

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour 2018: Final photos and download link
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2018, 06:33 PM »
That 3rd to the last shot- Wow. That's a Christmas card if I ever saw one; and I've seen 65 years worth of 'em. Thanks again for this cozy, warm, wintery town.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2018, 04:43 AM »
@JP:  I really enjoyed wandering around this wonderfully executed little town.  So beautifully done, so many humorous little vignettes :).

As to performance, I let it fill up to its capacity of a bit over 5600 peeps, opened all the rides that had entrances, and hired staff for all the unmanned shops.  It still ran quite smoothly on my old machine, although it did stutter here and there occasionally.

My machine is 8 years old because I haven't seen the need yet to replace it.  Used to be, I'd buy a new machine every few years to be able to play the latest games.  However, CPU clock speed plateaued in the early 2000s and since then it's all just been getting fancier with parallel processing.  My CPU has 4 real cores and has been taught to make 4 more fake ones, so is still hanging in there with newer systems having 8 cores.  I did, however, upgrade my vidcard to a GTX 980 a couple years ago because my original vidcard fried.  That's kept me current with the graphical loads of newer games.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Such a beautiful park. Those night shots are stunning. I love all the little vignettes placed throughout the town. (Since when did Santa begin braiding his beard?)

I can't wait to visit the park personally, and will do so as soon as I get some time.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2018, 10:53 AM »
WOW! This town is huge. I can't say I took a stroll through this park, but like a hike, as it would have taken hours to see everything at a slow pace. Every single building is lovingly detailed, with magical touches around every corner. This is so detailed and well designed. You should be a city planner. Such beautiful work.

Online cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2018, 10:22 AM »
This project is very beautiful and heavily detailed. I want to say congrats on your hard work and I do want you to return and do more because this is brilliant!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2019, 03:04 PM »
I finally saw the video and I must say, truly wonderful, my friend.
I loved it last year but you've made it even better. This is some really beautiful work here. Some of it really made me chuckle too.
The car ride was a bit crazy too. It was like being in the car with a drunk driver rushing to get home before one end, or both ends of their their bodies decides to purge ;)
Bravo!

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Thanks so much, guys. 

And Nemmie, as someone who has done their fair share of riding home with my head out the window, I think I can relate.  Ahhh, youth.  :P

I've been trying to take a PC break but quickly learned that Cities:Skylines was not the way to do it.  What a crap piece of code that game is.  I imagine now that I'll be working on Peony II again shortly :D

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2019, 02:26 AM »
Such a beautiful park and project! I'm thrilled by all these amazing pics!
My Workshop: Steam Workshop