Santaville - 1961 On the Workshop!

• 44 replies
Santaville - 1961 On the Workshop!
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:00 AM »
In 1954, Lloyd Franks decided to give back to the community he had grown up in. He had several very profitable businesses in town, but wanted to show his appreciation to the community for all the success he had enjoyed. Just outside of town, Lloyd owned a small parcel of land, and he and his sons got to work. They cleared some of the land and built a few small buildings for the upcoming holiday season. They built Santa's Workshop and a small Elf Bunkhouse.

In cooperation with the local zoo, Lloyd also set up a small paddock for some caribou that would have to double for reindeer.

They gave away hot cider and cookies, and kids could come visit with Santa on weekends. The small area was a tremendous success for the town, and Lloyd thought that perhaps he could do more.

The next summer, he contracted with the Fisherman Amusement Company out of Texas, and purchased an old 1926 Waltzer ride. After a few modifications and a coat of paint, the Waltzer was ready to go that 1955 holiday season.

Lloyd insisted that the community not be charged for the rides, and crowds grew and grew each weekend!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:36 PM by citytrader »

Re: Santaville - 1954
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Charming!  The North Pole houses totally have that "plywood" look to them.  And love what you did with the Waltzer.

A word of caution:  If Fisherman Amusements tries to sell you anything with the word "hippo", say no.

Offline Alxou

• Last night a DJ saved my life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:47 PM »
I love the cover for your flat ride.. The details are amazing!
A word of caution:  If Fisherman Amusements tries to sell you anything with the word "hippo", say no.

Yeah they use some weird food apparently over there...
Twitter : Alxou_PC

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 06:09 PM »
I love the cover for your flat ride.. The details are amazing!

Thank you, but the flat ride skin was created by Fisherman. I merely tweaked it a bit. He did a marvelous job!

By 1957, another ride was added to the nascent park. A Venetian Carousel and building were saved from demolition on an old New Jersey pier, and Lloyd and his sons, as well as a great bunch of friends and volunteers reassembled, spruced up, and made operational the beautiful carousel. On the underside of one of he pavilions beams, they found an old brass plaque that stated the unit had been constructed by the Matt-Caf Corporation. Only some minor restoration work on the gazebo itself was necessary to bring the wonderful building back to life.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:37 PM by citytrader »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Another vintage park by citytrader. Everything looks great so far. Too bad these old photos are in B&W. I'm sure they don't do this park justice. Maybe we'll get some color photos as time progresses.  ;)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Color photography was pretty expensive back in 1958!

Lloyd loved the way his little community project was shaping up, but felt there was still more he could do. Kids loved visiting Santa in his workshop, however Lloyd thought something a little more grand might be in order. Back to his lumber supply company he went with a plan in mind.

When kids came to the park he had decided to name "Santaville" in 1959, they would be able to visit with Santa and get their cider and cookies from the always beautiful Mrs. Claus in their brand new castle!

The building had a central rotunda where kids could warm up a bit, then head right to see Santa, or into the left wing for treats with Mrs. Claus.

(PS - Sharp eyed readers may recognize the building I utilized for my blueprint, especially if you are from the Midwest!)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:38 PM by citytrader »

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Looks delightful, Rich!  I LOVE the stables!  Too cute.

Re: Santaville - 1961
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Thanks!

Santaville saw it's next expansion in 1961, when Lloyd found an old narrow gauge engine and a few cars available for sale from a defunct park in Pennsylvania. He sent off a few trucks and brought the equipment to Santaville.

It took a couple of years to grade the roadbed, install the track, and refurbish the cars, but she ran like a champ. The next big task was to replace the simple ramp for loading into a real honest to goodness train station. He actually hired a local masonry company to build the giant clock tower, and to replace the foundations on a couple of the older buildings. He also installed string lights around many of the buildings in the park.

When people arrived for that opening weekend in November 1961, they were treated to the big, beautiful Santaville Express train station;

And of course what railroad is complete without a rail yard for servicing the equipment;

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:39 PM by citytrader »

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Very charming so far  :)
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 05:43 PM »
This should have been posted Monday, but just got back into town!

Lloyd wanted people to remember the reason for the season, so he had built on a small hill on the edge of the grounds a recreation of the Silent Night Chapel in Salzburg, Austria, for people to visit, and even for occasional services. The most popular service is of course midnight on Christmas eve.

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:57 PM by citytrader »

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 04:53 PM »
I adore the B&W photos! So peaceful.  So far my favorite is the Venetian Carousel ride skin. I'm a sucker for carousels  :love:
formerly Catgrrl on Atari forums

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Thank you so much, however, the ride skin was created by by someone on the workshop named Matt-Caf.

This photo (badly weathered and faded) shows one of the many shops around the park. To save time and money, the buildings are all built with the same basic plans, and slightly modified for each unit. Lloyd is still footing the bill for all the park's expenses, but saving a dollar is saving a dollar!

Rumor has it that Mr. Franks is looking into two major attractions for the upcoming 1963 season!

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 07:16 AM »
We like major attractions!
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Just a real pretty picture!

Happy New Year!

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 04:20 AM »
Just a real pretty picture!

I would agree.  :)
Happy New Year to you as well!

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 06:15 PM »
By the Fall of 1963, another old fairground ride was saved by the Franks and installed in the park;

This beautiful ride enclosure was created by Rhian.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 09:06 AM »
It's getting to be that time of year, isn't it?  Great to see this park (and you) back for more :)

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Lovely!  Glad to see you working on this again.

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 10:50 AM »
This must be a lot of fun to work on. I love it. Gotta try some small scaled projects myself sometimes.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Thank you guys! It is nice to be back. I do seem to have less and less free time, but I try!

Ice skating, anyone?

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Beautiful picture. I like the black and white screenshot, but i prefer if the black and white is a bit warmer. Something like this:

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 04:30 PM »
More sepia-like, agree. Looks less cold :)

Anyway, love the park itself. Im really starting to get into the spirit ^^

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Thanks CoasterCad! That does look nicer!

Thank you Redhair!

Just a night test of all the lights prior to the grand opening!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Glad to this this project back. That last screenshot looks beautiful. Love the lighting.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 12:37 PM »
I'm SO glad to see this back. It's just what we need on the run up to Christmas.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Thank you, guys!

One of the major draws to the plot of land for Lloyd Franks was the old Victorian skating Pavilion that was on the site. Again, with lots of community support, he was able to restore the building as well as the rink. The community now has a wonderful rink to use throughout the season!

An overview of most of the park;

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:49 PM by citytrader »

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 07:41 PM »
The ice rink looks fantastic, especially with the perimeter lights.  So much better than my frozen pond.

Love that last picture, it kind of looks like there's more stuff we haven't seen yet...

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Amazing work!

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08 AM »
Beautiful pictures. I especially like the overview. The amount of christmas decoration and lighting is perfect. I can imagine it would be easy to go over the top with christmas decorations and lights, but it seems flawless in this park. great job!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 07:26 AM »
That looks very quaint and cozy.  Love the lighting (even if I hate Christmas :D )
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page