Highland Lakes - Progress 10/14/2018

• 67 replies

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
Highland Lakes - Progress 10/14/2018
« on: December 22, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Hello

Breaking my rules, showing stuff that I am just starting on.  After tinkering around a little now and then I finally got the urge to try to build something.   I am likely to ask a lot of questions although I am figuring out a lot so far just by messing around.

Years ago the first real park i built in Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 was renamed Highland Lakes on one of the final renovations.  For those who don't know or don't remember I tend to never finish anything.  I might say it is finished but it isn't.  Any time I open a park I tinker around and sometimes that leads to full renovations which I did 4 times on Highland Lakes.

I jammed 14 roller coasters into that park, even after a few renovations it still had low custom content so it actually runs quite well on my PC surprisingly.   Later I may see if I still have screen shots of how that RCT3 began, its a great example of how bad an RCT3 could look...

These are shots of the entrance, all of these are from the last couple of renovations.

So since that park was where I started in RCT3 I thought, why not re-imagine it for Planet Coaster.

As I said I decided to try re-imagining the park so it is not trying to be a recreation.  First change is I am scaling back the entrance, the train station will not be massive like the RCT3 park was.

After a lot of trial and error I got this far...

This really is the first time I have tried to actually build anything in this game.   As I said I have tinkered with it but did not get motivated to really make an effort to start learning how to do anything until last Saturday.

After even more trial and error I managed to get some paths that I don't completely hate on the back side of the station.

By Tuesday I actually had a building starting to take shape.   It is very simple, it takes cues from the station in the RCT3 park but its a lot simpler.  In my RCT3 parks I started to scale things like this back as well.  Where I used to build massive entrance buildings I got to where I had small train stations, smaller scale entrance buildings.

I started to try different paths, there was entirely too much reg going on.  Oh and the Munsters cars won't be staying there... I was just checking them out.   If I keep re-imagining parks I have a place for Dragula but it's not at Highland Lakes

By Wednesday I basically had a finished station.  I am sure I will find details to add but the structure is basically done.

Thursday was "Find a path I can live with day"  and I started to construct a sign that would take cues from the sign in the RCT3 park.   Oh and I placed a staff building... after my entire staff quit on me because I don't have a clue what I am doing yet.

The square nature of the entrance is intended, you can see I am starting to play with where I will transition to a more organic feel into the park.  No rides that you see should be considered final decisions I am only playing around with ideas on how I may want to lay this thing out.

I think I can deal with this path. 

And there is the sign.   I may still tweak this a bit but hours and hours later... here it is.

Beginning to do some landscaping around the entrance.   A lot of detail still has to go into this.

Going to see how far I can push this with my old PC.  Already planning to build a new one by next fall... maybe summer but so far I am running pretty well on this old one which is encouraging.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 06:14 PM by KiDFoX »
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:29 PM »
How odd to see one of the masters of RCT3 stumbling through his first steps in Planet Coaster. ;)

Believe me, there is a fairly steep learning curve with this game, and in the beginning, you'll feel that there are far too many limitations. But once you learn all the tricks and hit your stride, before you know it, it seems that the sky's the limit on just how much you actually can do. Yes, it's a slow struggle in the beginning, and it never gets as easy as RCT3 was, but once you conquer this game, it's oh so satisfying. And you're already tackling terraforming and multi-level paths, which are 2 major sore points in Planet Coaster right now. But rumors of tweaks to the pathing system in the near future may make this somewhat less of a chore.

I'll be watching this thread and I can't wait to see you master this game too.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:34 PM »
So excited to see your work translate to Planet Coaster. Thank you for sharing your progress, it's nice to see things go from a discouraging skeleton to something that will eventually take the form of your iconic style.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:38 AM »
I remember Highland Lakes!  If I recall correctly it was the first park I saw where that tower ride was lowered into the ground to get the big US flag, I thought that was so unique and clever!

Don't feel bad about just learning how to build in PC, I also have struggled after a lengthy break break away from park building, and have just been slowly trying to learn stuff.  One day soon hopefully I''ll join you in going public with that struggle!

I love the sign...it's quirky and fun looking.  And the buildings so far still have that KiDFoX signature style. Looking forward to seeing great thingss from you again!

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 07:09 AM »
I like the RCT3 park way better!!!

Love seeing what you are doing here. Really looking forward to seeing the park progress.

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 01:42 AM »
Merry Christmas from Fox Amusements!

Thanks for the responses so far, always great to see familiar names still around!

How odd to see one of the masters of RCT3 stumbling through his first steps in Planet Coaster. ;)

Believe me, there is a fairly steep learning curve with this game, and in the beginning, you'll feel that there are far too many limitations. But once you learn all the tricks and hit your stride, before you know it, it seems that the sky's the limit on just how much you actually can do. Yes, it's a slow struggle in the beginning, and it never gets as easy as RCT3 was, but once you conquer this game, it's oh so satisfying. And you're already tackling terraforming and multi-level paths, which are 2 major sore points in Planet Coaster right now. But rumors of tweaks to the pathing system in the near future may make this somewhat less of a chore.

I'll be watching this thread and I can't wait to see you master this game too.

Wow, now that you built up all the expectations...  No seriously that is a compliment coming from you.   I agree it is a steep learning curve which is why its been this long and you have not seen me post any parks until now.  But, I have been watching some people.

So excited to see your work translate to Planet Coaster. Thank you for sharing your progress, it's nice to see things go from a discouraging skeleton to something that will eventually take the form of your iconic style.

I think people are going to be a little surprised.   That's all I will say  :D   

Honestly I have not been discouraged yet.  I frustrated myself by messing up some of the controls for building for a few hours last weekend but that was it.  I actually have been enjoying the challenges.

I remember Highland Lakes!  If I recall correctly it was the first park I saw where that tower ride was lowered into the ground to get the big US flag, I thought that was so unique and clever!

Don't feel bad about just learning how to build in PC, I also have struggled after a lengthy break break away from park building, and have just been slowly trying to learn stuff.  One day soon hopefully I''ll join you in going public with that struggle!

I love the sign...it's quirky and fun looking.  And the buildings so far still have that KiDFoX signature style. Looking forward to seeing great thingss from you again!

I was not the first one to do that with the tower ride... gonna say maybe Milkdud did it before me maybe a few others.  I know Milkdud was doing a lot of stuff with rides as parts of buildings and scenery. around the time I was starting to get serious about building parks.

The sign has to be quirky.  There is no getting around it really unless I wanted go to for more boring...

I like the RCT3 park way better!!!

Love seeing what you are doing here. Really looking forward to seeing the park progress.

I like the RCT3 park better right now also, it has more rides!   Thanks CT!

OK so now is a good time to say there are a few people who I have to thank really for being able to get going as well as I and that would be N7, Masked Bandit and the guest builders with all the things they were doing on the Planet Brocoaster series on You Tube.

Honestly just seeing how things are done and kind of watching the process taken on that park has really helped me get going.

So on to what is happening at Highland Lakes.

I am really trying to keep this park more or less to scale to the people in the game which I found out means you can't just use some of the arches and door openings full height.   I had to rethink a few things as I worked on some new things for the park because of that.

So let's take a little tour of some of what is done so far from a "peeps" point of view and see how things are shaping up.

I guess these are sort of my faux ticket booths.  I need some work out here yet to dress this up, its pretty plain right now and that is kind of OK but it does needs some detailing.  Highland Lakes is a more of an amusement park than a theme park.  It had one area originally that was themed more than the rest and that is likely to carry over into this version but with a different theme than the RCT3 version.  But the point is Highland Lakes was never designed to be a heavily themed park.  This version might be more so than the old ever was but it still is going to be more of an amusement park with some theming.

We are walking, we are walking... Oh another sign, how nice.

So the story on this sign is that it was what I had built to be up by the station but when I placed it there it was so underwhelming.  I ditched that idea and went with the bigger sign that is more of a homage to the original RCT park anyhow BUT I saved this to be used outside the gates.

And we are walking... through the gates.

So you see I made some changes to the station.  This may not be the last tweaking to be done.  I really did like the station as it was but I started to think it just wasn't very Amusement park... ish.  So Towers kind of help with that.

Here is that scale I was mentioning.  I reworked the tunnels to bring the floor up making the scale a lot less ominous to the size of the peeps.

You get a feel also for how it looks as peeps walk through these things.   Even in RCT3 how it looks to as if you were walking through the park really got to be a thing for me.

All this is trying to show is that I am working on elevations.  Not sure if this is exactly what I want yet but you get the idea.

Working on the landscape around the station also

I may have finally settled on the paths type on this side of the station.

Trying to get used to what I can and can't do with the foliage

Just another look at the scale.  I initially started to build the roof on the gate too high and it would not have been right so I changed that.

And I just found out I have no shot 25...  I guess it got lost.  Moving on to 26.

Just another look at the gate proportions to the peeps.

Over view of dullsville.   It needs some work.  It is just the entrance but it needs to be more inviting.

And on to one of the signature things that has to be in my parks.  I have to have an ice cream parlor.  It is a must because having an ice cream cone before we went home was a thing for me when I was a kid and we got to go to any theme park.   Fond memories of that... still love to get ice cream at amusement parks.

Yes you are seeing that right when you look in the door...

Shyguy is right this is not as easy at RCT3  What you see so far on this ice cream parlor has taken hours.  I hope the pay off is there when it's finished but you can see in there... and get an idea where this is heading.

Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

@foxamusements

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Highland Lakes - Updates - Progress - Questions...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Happy New Year!

I have been working on getting better with the building tools and tried out building a coaster.  We will get to the coaster later.  There are a lot of screen shots, sorry in advance if its over the top with screen shots.

Focusing on this area of the "town square"  This is how it looked when I first ripped out major portions of my first park to build  a new entrance and a town square.   Pretty amazing right?

Depending on which way you go after entering the gates this may be the first area you would see.

Looks a bit different than the original RCT3 version right?  Remember this is still very unfinished.

Some of this has been in place for about a week but I spent a lot of time cleaning up today.  Re-did portions of it after I realized I had several things dis joined from my buildings.   

I had a building that was supposed to be a fire station in the RCT3 park, it served as an information booth and really didn't look much like a fire station.  I think this is better so far.  Yes that is a fire truck.  It's one of the 46 Chevy Trucks Wings &  Strings has on the workshop.  I modified it to make a fire engine.  I decided to house a first aid station in here, makes more sense than information.  I also place a staff building in there as well which may not stay there.

So this back here... is not a building it is  camouflaged gate to the back stage area.

Just a set piece really but from a peeps point of view you would never know.

Back stage.   Those signs back there are to give a little history to this park.  The park it is based off of in RCT3 started off being called Camp Carousel and then had the horrible name of Kamp KidFox.

Getting started on a few more thing on that side of the square.

My ice cream parlor is nearly finished. 

This is the as of yet unfinished interior. 

On to the coaster...

This monstrosity was called Skream Roller.  It is not the worst woody that ever lived in this park but it was not great either.    What did like is that it was a racing coaster, inspired loosely on Colossus at Magic Mountain.   So, guess what I did...  I wanted to show the original to show my racing coaster was yellow blue and white because if you can guess what I did it might be suggested I ripped off too much but I am really paying homage to the original park.

Its a ways back there with a lot of empty space between the square and the coaster currently

The history of the RCT3 park was that the grounds had been a military camp and also served as a camp ground, recreation area and fair grounds before it became a full time amusement park.  I wan't still keep some of the sense of history so I plan to build some things that appear to not entirely fit the amusement park, structures that preexisted the park but are still standing and being used. 

That is the idea of this brick building.  You notice in my RCT3 screen shot I had a massive brick building as the station.   Like the station at the entrance of Highland Lakes this too is something that needed to be scaled back in this version of the park but I wanted to  have it there and the back story that it was the station for the woody that once stood on this spot, now its used as cover for part of the queue.

In the RCT3 park the train station at the entrance was supposed to have been built much later but took a lot of its style from the old buildings in the park, same is true in the Planet Coaster version, the train station is supposed to be a newer addition but has some similarities to historic buildings in the park.

The hills...

I think it looks pretty good...  would take critiques though. 

Working on some details

Ok I spent a lot of time on this.  I wanted to get it right so I really spent time looking a photos, this is based off the transfer track and train shed on Twisted Colossus.

OK so question on taking video, I tried using Fraps but somehow I seem to only be able to record 29 seconds... the heck am I doing wrong?  I can build networks, design VLANs, program firewalls, I used to edit video professionally and I even did advertising in my career but I can't take a on ride video in Planet Coaster...

Another question,  Sometimes when I am building I swear I don't exit out of the building I am working on but yet in the end a few times I have ended up with the game treating my building like its multiple buildings.  Not sure what the heck I am doing to cause that.   Any ideas?

Thanks for checking this out!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:50 AM by KiDFoX »

@foxamusements

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 04:27 AM »
I think it's a really good looking coaster.  I wish I had more to offer on that.  But what I really love are the buildings... that fire station is my favorite I think.  The ice cream parlor is coming along nicely, the angled entrance is perfect.  Anxious to see that building when it's done because I can tell it's become a labor of love for you :)

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 07:20 AM »
The auto repair "gate" is very clever. Perhaps it'sthe angle you took the pic at, but it might need one tile side walls, or at least brick columnson the edges to give it just a hint of depth.

Agree the fire house is very clever, and love how you worked over the fire engine. Very clever work there.

That coaster is insane! Looking forward to seeing it in a POV. Wish I could help with your problem but I have never tried filming.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I believe (but I could be wrong...not the first time...) that the free version of FRAPS only records 30 seconds.  There's a paid version which I think runs $37 or something close to that, and with it you can record longer videos.  Here's a how-to on that I had bookmarked that might be handy...

https://itstillworks.com/record-long-videos-fraps-10024887.html

EDIT:  Yep here's a link to the full 'un-locked' version... http://www.fraps.com/buy.php

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Great to see you make the PC jump, Fox! Scale is an absolute beast in this game--as you grow with the program, you'll find hints and tricks to really get closer to peep size. Big question, though: when do we get to see the PC version of a Ronnies? :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Another question,  Sometimes when I am building I swear I don't exit out of the building I am working on but yet in the end a few times I have ended up with the game treating my building like its multiple buildings.  Not sure what the heck I am doing to cause that.   Any ideas?
The building tools can be a bit wonky, sometimes with a mind of their own. I've found there's no real benefit to having a building made up of one "building" or multiple "buildings" unless you're creating a blueprint that you want to copy and paste. My biggest problem is sometimes I think an object is not part of a building and upon deleting it, half my structure is deleted along with it. ;)

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 11:23 AM »
It's so brilliant to see you dip your toe into Planet Coaster. I always loved your RCT3 stuff so I'm really excited to see this develop.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Amazing work in converting an old RCT3 park into the new Planet Coaster. I know I could not do that without many months of practice.

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Hello! 
It’s been a bit longer than I expected between updates!   

I have been spending a lot of time figuring out how to do things and while I have done work in the park nearly every day a lot of it wasn’t anything that would translate well to screen shots so I held off until there was something to show.   A lot of tweaking of things like terrain and figuring out paths.

One thing I did was to try to figure out building scale and get an idea how to bring it down even more than I was already and to dot that I plopped down a few wall pieces next to one of the mechanics and worked out scale.  Then I deleted the walls.  I went on my merry way for a day and realized the next day I apparently had my fire station and adjacent buildings in the town square open for editing when I plopped down those walls so when I deleted them I also deleted that whole area.  Ooops.

So I had to rebuild it.   I was able to adjust scale a bit because of that so like Bob Ross would have said we don’t make mistakes we have happy accidents and I had good screen shots from before so the portions I was very happy with I could recreate almost exactly and the things I was not as happy with before I could use the screen shots as a guide.  Over all things are better though and I would never have been happy with the results if I had not re-done some of this so it really was a happy accident, forced me to fix it now and not come back and try to rip it out later when my frame rate might be prohibitive…

Here is the result of the rebuild with more attention to scale.  Might not be obvious from the screen shots but there are differences.

I mentioned that this park grew out of my first sandbox park I ever started in RCT3.   From time to time I would share screen shots of this park in its early days just to show people how horrible I was at RCT3 in the beginning.   My coasters were huge, unrealistic, dangerous really and just bad.  My buildings early on were just terrible…

I blew the entire park away at one point and made it into a custom scenario where the story was that it had been a former military camp then fairgrounds/camp grounds and at some point years ago it was turned into a small amusement park.  If I recall in the scenario the park was not doing well when you started and you had to turn it around and grow it.   

When I played the scenario I was pretty happy with what I built.  So much so that I kept going.

So  I am trying to keep that sense of history and some of the stuff I have been working on is to try and bring that in now.  There was always a mix in the RCT3 park of stuff that was supposed to have been there for many years and things that were new and I want to keep that in this version. 

I am actually torn on whether this is a historic building or one the park added later to appear to fit the historic period of some of the old fair ground buildings.   Leaning toward it being historic.

This building is similar to many old train stations but the photo I used the most is a station in Litiz PA

You can see there is still work to be done on this.

Now...  About a week ago I decided to see what happened when I opened the park....

This line extended from the park entrance the the coaster... so much for realism.  All other rides were ignored completely.

I have been spending a lot of time detailing the queue for this coaster which as of yet has no name I don't hate with a passion... eventually I will find a name.

Here I can get into the mix of history and new.  The coaster is a re-built version of the massive old wood racing coaster, the brick building represents part of the queue / station from the old coaster being reused as part of the queue for the new ride.    The station of the new coaster would have been build specifically for the new ride.  The modern looking building in front of the station is the new gift shop also build around the same time as the new ride,  the other building with the towers would be a historic fairground building re-purposed as a food building and repainted with new awning added when the new coaster was built.     Many parks I have been to re-use structures at times instead of always replacing with new.   

With this park I think some of the structures are so old they have a history and maybe even would be protected by local historic commissions.

I like how this area is coming together to me it really has a feel of an area that has been revitalized.  What do you think?

The rest rooms would be new also.

Another nod to there being a history, the signage in this part of the queue is left over from the old coaster I imagine the park put it up in the building as a reminder of what was once there.

Exit through the gift shop.

Still working on the interior... trying to get better at that.  I loved doing interiors in RCT3, not a fan so far in this game but its getting better.  Have to say credit is due to Masked Bandit as I really looked at some of what he was doing with Conifer Slopes to get started anyhow, not sure where I will ultimately get with this shop but at least its a start. 

The floor is very black though, it's like how much more black can it be?  None... none more black...   
And the shop is not getting robbed, using the cowboy to help keep me in scale.

What do you think of the lighting?  Yes?  No?

And I got started on another of the historic buildings, this would have been part of the fair grounds and is based on a building on the Illinois State Fairgrounds.   This would have been the entrance to the park in its earliest days, long before the current entrance, train station and town square were built.   Its going to be food stalls, tables and chairs today.

This is the kind of early progress stuff I don't often share but you get an idea how I lay things out and figure out the size and scale of the building.

That is it for now.  Maybe it will be a shorter time between updates now that I am getting a bit better at this.    If you look in the background you see some stuff back there, I am laying out where the major rides are so I can figure out the layout of the park.    Some of what I have back there may be subject o change but its helping me figure out how things need to flow.

Let me know if I am overwhelming with too many screen shots... I get carried away.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:25 PM by KiDFoX »

@foxamusements

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes - We don't make mistakes here we have happy accidents!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 05:03 PM »
This will be a shorter update than I have done so far.   Again I am doing a lot just not much that will translate well to screen shots at this time.

I have been getting my "sea legs" in this game though.  Starting to learn a lot of tricks and many great ways of doing things from watching a lot of the youtube content many here have put out there like Silvarret, N7, Masked Bandit, Ruble Trillions, Commando Santa and others.

So on with it...

I have been putting time into the historic area of the park which if you recall would be the Planet Coaster version of the original park entrance.  This are would have the oldest buildings in Highland Lakes that go back to it's time as a fairgrounds before anyone set up a permanent amusement park on the grounds.

The first name I gave this park in RCT3 was Camp Carousel and even though we only have one carousel in the game and I didn't want to put another one in this park I wanted something to mark the area where the original carousel would have been.  That is what this gazebo structure would be.   I would imagine its not the original structure that would have been around the carousel but its been on this land for a long time and was moved over when the original carousel was moved to the new town square entrance to the park.

To get what I wanted I had to do some custom stuff.  I am limiting how much I do because I am not sure yet how much my PC can handle as it was custom built for RCT3 several years ago.  I am going to push this project as far as I can but I didn't think I wanted to needlessly increase part counts if I didn't have to so I used a combo of exiting and custom made roofs, floors, trim pieces.   

If I have the frame rate to improve this later I may come back to it and see if I can make it as large as it would have been had it been the original carousel building.   And let's hope one day we get a truly grand carousel... something we always sorely were missing in RCT3

You can get an idea of the custom vs in game stuff here.

I mentioned last time this building is based off a building on the grounds of the Illinois State Fair.   It is based off the swine barn actually.    At Highland Lakes it would have been turned into the park entrance at one point and then when the new entrance and town square were built this building was converted to a food court.   

In my RCT3 version of this park the structure that would have been in this general area was also converted to a food court but also had a train station as part of it when I blew away a portion of the park and built the new entrance.   For the Planet coaster version I wanted the train station on this side of the park to be it's own building.

You can see this is shaping up nicely.  Still some things to tweak and fix and some things to finish but it's coming together and I think it kind of has a feel of an old building that has had some renovations done.

This is actually smaller than it would be were I trying to recreate exactly (but in a Planet Coaster way) what I had in RCT3 but for this version I wanted to think about how would it really be if this were real and I think what I had in RCT3 was just too darn large so I brought this down quite a bit.

When I thought I was mostly done with this building I had a sidewalk running where you see this gate now, then I realized this is a food building they are going to have waste and need deliveries there should be a place for that so I moved the sidewalk and made a fenced in area for trash bins and a back door for deliveries.

Then I started to obsess over this gate...

If I am going to go for some realism then the last thing I wanted was to have these gates align perfectly or close perfectly so I made sure they would be slightly askew.  Any gate like this with time and usage is going to get a little out of whack even if it was near perfect at some point.

Then I wanted hinges, then I waned handles...

Then I needed security.  Then I obsessed over the camera placements and can they capture what the park would want.. which there is a reason why I think of things like that.

One little oversight with the sidewalk turns into an obsession over realism.

That is all for now!  Everyone have a great week!

@foxamusements

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes - Obessing over a gate
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 09:48 PM »
I'm definitely seeing that familiar KiDFoX style shining through with these latest screenshots. :)

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 05:56 AM »
You have really nailed that Prairie style architecture. All those layers look great!

Offline InfiniteChaos

• InfiniteChaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 12:15 PM »
That's the beauty of Planet Coaster. Something goes well, then you want to add little things to make that one thing SUPER good.

That's whats happening on my new Intamin project! But back to yours, I like how everything is turning out!

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 04:41 PM »

A lot of back end stuff going on... we won't talk about much of that yet

so for now fast update.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:54 AM by KiDFoX »

@foxamusements

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 02:09 AM »
I think the photos in the post about the gate got mixed up with the photos from your last post...perhaps they have the same image name? 

Anyways, I love this last streetscape!  I'd say that your Bijou theater turned out fantastic, others have made theaters but too often the scale is too large, it's too garish, the marquee is overly large, but you really nailed it.  It's very realistic, as are the rest of the buildings (love that basement access on the corner building too!).

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 05:43 AM »
Yes i am out of practice on managing images and I over-wrote some file names, did not even notice it at the time.   i will have to fix the gate post tonight, not time today.  Thanks for the feedback.  I have spent a lot of time working on scale behind the scenes much stuff that is not really worth shearing to get to that point. The buildings on the square are either original ideas or inspired from real small town squares.  The one with the basement barber shop is off an real town square in Southern Iowa I changed it a bit but it is inspired by an actual place right down to the barber pole which I made part of the railing but on the real building it is a free standing pole on the ground next to the stairs. 

@foxamusements

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Lake Walt
    • View Profile
    • Planet Coaster Fans on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 07:01 AM »
God this is so good… love the work and attention you poor into this reboot.

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 02:37 PM »
The restrained color choice on the block - punctuated by the loud, colorful theatre marquee - is just classic Kidfox.

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 06:52 PM »

Video is a bit glitchy.  I am finding out that I really am not good at getting video out of PC that is clear and glitch free.

@foxamusements

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes - The focus group has spoken 2/11/2018
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Just to prove I do listen to people...  no new members here are going to get that.   To explain I very often do not post my work until a project is finished or very nearly finished and therefore historically on SGW suggestions that are made to my threads on here were never implemented in the park because by the time they were made I had pushed the project to the point if I edited anything in the park I would probably crash the file.

Often valid criticism therefore was kept in mind in the next thing I would do.

For Highland Lakes I have been getting opinions from some in the larger Planet Coaster community and here is how that effects the park as it progresses.

This particular area in my mind was pretty much finished. 

The consensus of the group however was that there was entirely too much green going on in this area.

Looking at it after that criticism I could definitely see where people were coming from and I agreed.

Based off that feedback here is what I cam up with.

Keeping with the idea that this food building might be a re-purposed building left over from the days when this land was a fair grounds I went with almost barn colors.

Also still making slow progress on the town square

@foxamusements

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 07:14 PM »
I'm glad you toned down the green in that area. I never said anything, but I do agree that the bright green and blue was too much. It looks so much better now. :)

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 08:13 PM »
I didn't have an issue with all the green, but it definitely is easier on the eyes now. Fox Amusements isn't Six Flags, this feels more appropriate.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 02:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of bright colours (lime green being a particular vice!) both in this game and professionally. However they are the most effective when they are used sparingly. Use them to draw attention to something in particular, rather than as a common theme. I always tend to find they work best when highlighting an entrance or void.

Looks good though!

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Absolutly great! I wish I could build that straight, clean but yet detailed realistic style of architecture and path way design.
There is so much inspiration for me when it comes to typical american theme park architecture.The train station or the State FAir building are some amazing designs. I love the pavillion as well.
The RMC is fantastic too and I like the inverted coaster as well. Great colors on both rides.
The new town square looks wonderful as well. I am very excited how everything will come together and how the park will look in the end.

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU