Highland Lakes - Progress 10/14/2018

• 66 replies

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
Re: Highland Lakes - The focus group has spoken 2/11/2018
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 10:24 AM »
 It's been awhile.   I am still working on this.

Card access systems and cameras, we love security.

Was not happy with the lamp posts so I put something together that I like better.

Several of the facades are based off real buildings on the town square in Albia Iowa.     I will get around to getting some images for the windows eventually.  The building with the white corner turret is based off a building in Oskaloosa Iowa.   That is one thing we have in Iowa is a lot of great old town squares so plenty of source material for main streets and squares.

Made some changes here to the ice cream parlor,  it was over powering the area so I changed it up added different facades.

That space between the buildings is meant to be a transition to a new area.   The RCT3 park had a themed area in that part of the park called Carbon Creek themed for the California Gold Rush.   I built an entire park after Highland Lakes based off that theme and therefore thought Highland Lakes having a small area of the same theme would be redundant and we would probably re-theme it over time to something else, which is what is going to happen.

Give you some idea the scope, I only have just under half of the coasters represented so far.  You may be able to tell the entrance is torn up.   I kind of suspected when I built it that once I got comfortable with the game I would probably want to re-do the entrance as it was very basic.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:34 AM by KiDFoX »
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

Re: Highland Lakes - Progress 3/4/2018
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 12:19 PM »
love the detail in the backstage areas.

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes - Progress 3/7/2018
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 05:49 AM »

Working on a new area...
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

@foxamusements

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Yes! Water Tower World!!! Can't wait!  ;D

Really liking your town square. Everything looks really nice. Maybe it's the pictures, but it does look a little too much like all right angles. Perhaps you could off-kilter a few of the structures for some variety?

But boy, that overview! Terrific!

Offline Berlin87

• Park Lunamoon
    • View Profile
    • Planet Coaster Fans on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Wow kidfox! That water tower looks GREAT

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Yes! Water Tower World!!! Can't wait!  ;D

Really liking your town square. Everything looks really nice. Maybe it's the pictures, but it does look a little too much like all right angles. Perhaps you could off-kilter a few of the structures for some variety?

But boy, that overview! Terrific!

Well yes the town square is pretty much at right angles but it is a town square so, that is kind of how they are in most midwestern towns anyway.   Once you get past the square I don't think there is much that is at right angles to anything else in the park.

A little sneak peek to give you an idea of what I mean.

Wow kidfox! That water tower looks GREAT

Thank you, I did a little tweaking on it last night. 

love the detail in the backstage areas.

Thank you!   It's kind of fun to figure out how these areas would actually be used and to try and plan backstage then figure out what might be back there...

@foxamusements

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Really like the food building, (what did you use for window slats on the roof towers?)  But that city stairwell leading down next to the building is truly a perfect touch.  Lots of great details throughout, and I like that you're showing WIP shots and then following up with your edits.  This is all turning out great.

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Love that new screenshot.

I guess I was really thinking offset. All the structures in a row, with none set back a tile or two to break up the long wall, if you follow. Again, it might just be the pics themselves.

Still really looking forward to water tower world!

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Really like the food building, (what did you use for window slats on the roof towers?)  But that city stairwell leading down next to the building is truly a perfect touch.  Lots of great details throughout, and I like that you're showing WIP shots and then following up with your edits.  This is all turning out great.

That is a disguised SciFi piece called Fiberglass Ventilation Unit, there are two of them side by side disguised by wood posts and planks.

Love that new screenshot.

I guess I was really thinking offset. All the structures in a row, with none set back a tile or two to break up the long wall, if you follow. Again, it might just be the pics themselves.

Still really looking forward to water tower world!

I know what you mean and there is some variation.   The town squares I was basing most of this on have very little variation but I did create some.

One last look around for now...

here is the source for the building above, notice the barber pole and shop on the lower level.  I moved the stairs to the side to have more room on my version.

Source images for some of these buildings.

Another source image

Last one for today...

@foxamusements

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes - Progress 3/10/2018
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Moving on to the Warehouse District.   

This area replaces part of what was a western area in the RCT3 park called Carbon Creek.   For a long time I had plans to re-theme that area of the park if I ever renovated or rebooted Highland Lakes.  The reason is because I took the idea of the area which was supposed to be themed around the California Gold Rush and created a full park called Carbon Canyon City.  Both parks were supposed to be in Northern California so to me it made sense that after building an entire park around the gold rush theme that the themed area in Highland Lakes would be re-themed to something else.

The Warehouse District is an area for several sit down restaurants, shops, etc.

Some early progress.

And a bit further along...

By the way there is a version of that water tower on the Steam Workshop.  You can find it on the workshop board here at SGW

@foxamusements

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes - Warehouse District 3/12/2018
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Been a while since I glanced at this. I am happy to see you making subtle changes. An eye for edits is possibly one of the skills that takes a while to gain. Overall, I love this park because you are taking real buildings and recreating them to be as close as possible to the real thing. The backstage areas are a strong point because that adds to the realism. This park is definitely going to keep getting better.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Those last screenshots are really impressive. The lighting is just perfect.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 04:16 PM »
So real...hard to tell the difference between your screenshots and the reference photos!  Looks amazing.

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Been a while since I glanced at this. I am happy to see you making subtle changes. An eye for edits is possibly one of the skills that takes a while to gain. Overall, I love this park because you are taking real buildings and recreating them to be as close as possible to the real thing. The backstage areas are a strong point because that adds to the realism. This park is definitely going to keep getting better.

Thank you, and I hope it keeps getting better.  Started out slow and a bit rough as I was really just figuring out how to do things along the way.

Those last screenshots are really impressive. The lighting is just perfect.

Thank you!  I always have liked lighting things, finding there are tricks to it in this game.

So real...hard to tell the difference between your screenshots and the reference photos!  Looks amazing.

Thank you!   I try to find building examples that will translate well to how we have to construct things in the game.

Progress over the past week was slow, several days I had little time or little energy and this weekend I spent what time I did have fussing over the interior of the pizzeria.

@foxamusements

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
That has to be one of the most realistic restaurant interiors I've ever seen in this game.  Everything is near perfect - the scale, the layout, the photos on the walls, the booths (!) and most of all the lighting.  Impressive.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
The interior of the pizzeria looks great! I hope you have live entertainment to help set the vibe. For the area I might suggest a speakeasy  ::). This might bring some more character to the Warehouse District, as well as a story. Plus, beer and pizza is a great combination!

That is one beautiful pizza parlor!

picking my jaw off the desk right now....

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Thanks for the kind  remarks I appreciate it!   I am almost done with this pizzeria, time to start looking for motivation for the place next door.  But here are a few more screen shots.

@foxamusements

That's a great interior, especially for this game.  Nice blend of modern and classical, it all looks very cozy.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Just saw this on Discord.  Wow!!!  So elegant.  Not sure I could afford to eat there!  Ha ha!  Very "upscale."

Offline cap396

• View Profile
Wow, that is just stunning.  I feel like I'm looking at photos of an actual restaurant, not a computer game screenshot.

0.o I expect a full report on how you achieved this.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Your restaurant is absolutely spectacular! Easily one of the best interiors I've ever seen on planet coaster.

Also really love what you're doing with the exterior/area in general. It has a really cool vibe

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
THat restaurant looks fantastic, there are so many details, it´s an awesome interior creation!

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
You the master of facades. Some of them remind me of the legendary Walthers Main Street models.
Everything looks so real. Totaly imspiring and impressive.

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline KiDFoX

• View Profile
Eat Sleep Build Repeat
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 07:04 PM »

@foxamusements

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Lakes - Eat Sleep Build Repeat 9/17/2018
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Yay, it's back!

This looks extremely wonderful.  Me likes ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Berlin87

• Park Lunamoon
    • View Profile
    • Planet Coaster Fans on Facebook
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2018, 03:28 AM »
Love the super bulky building with the carefully designed facades

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2018, 05:37 AM »
I had to scroll back through the entire thread to refresh my memory... this place is just beautiful.  In this set of photos, I really like the lighthouse, the blue lighting at the top of that warehouse building, and the "spire" on the theater is unique and striking. Of course that restaurant interior is still top notch and what you did for menus is beyond clever and adds a surprising amount of realism.  Great stuff as always, glad you're still at work on this one.