Elmwood Lake Adventure Park - WIP Story Park - Slowly getting there (22 Jan)

• 21 replies

Offline JAMMY

• Coasters! Fireworks! Disney! Oh my!
    • View Profile
Non-Story Introduction

Hello people of SGW! Having lurked around the Planet Coaster scene for quite some time now, I thought I'd have a go at creating a 'realistic' (though nowhere near the quality of some of the amazing talents of this community) park, however the park is also going to incorporate a story and narrative. I used to post my RCT3 park (Elmwood Lake) to these forums but within a short space of time, it became clear that the limitations of the RCT3 engine were causing problems (severe performance issues etc). Now with Planet Coaster and the far better engine, optimisation and technology, I've given the the project a new lease of life.  :clap:

I plan to document the story of this park in both picture post and video format however I'm still developing the overarching narrative for the park at present. Along with trying to make this park realistic, I'm also going to try and focus quite heavily on the coasters to make them as close as possible to real-world models and manufacturers (there will be custom layouts too though :P ). The two coasters that are in the park from the start are recreations of a Zamperla Spinning Coaster (Compact Version) and a Zierer Force 190 coaster model. Once completed and detailed I aim to upload these models to the Steam Workshop!  :D

To give a basis for the project, there is a short story introduction below, followed by some non-story WIP shots of the park so that this isn't just a wall of never-ending text (how fun  :P ).

Thanks for enduring that introduction and any feedback is always appreciated.

(BTW, I sincerely apologise if the story comes across as too overly cringey, but... hey ho  ;D )

- James (JAMMY)

Story Introduction

Hey everyone!

The name's James and I've been a theme park enthusiast for as long as I can remember. I'm also an avid photographer studying Marketing & Design at university so enjoy visiting popular attractions to practice my skills. I recently came across these forums and was surprised that there wasn't a topic for my local park, Elmwood Lake Adventure Park. Although it's nothing special really, there have been some very interesting developments as of late and I have to say, I think the future could be very good for the park. As such, I thought I'd post about my outings to the park and keep you up to date with any developments etc.

For those that have never heard of the place, here's a little history. :P Elmwood Lake is a natural reservoir close to the town of Scanford, deep in the English countryside, the West Midlands to be precise. Up until about 30 years ago, the place was just a local visitor park (playgrounds and natural walkways) until a local investor, Norman Worley, bought the land, as well as some adjacent acres, from the local council. Since buying the property, Worley invested in the park and turned it into a wildlife park of sorts with several animal enclosures and wildlife attractions being installed. Quite controversially, the park was home to a pair of Polar Bears however following uproar from the local community, these were relocated to a better zoo in Europe. The enclosure is now home to a group of three Nile Crocodiles. As time has passed and views/opinions have changed, many other animals have left the park too. Along with the Crocodile enclosure, the only remnants of the wildlife park really is the old Reptile House and Hippopotamus enclosure, which was completely refurbished two years ago for a total of £4 million (maybe Worley is still interested in wildlife side of things?). A large garden area was also installed a couple of years ago and the park seems to pride itself on its landscaping and gardening, now denoting half of the park as the 'Zoological Gardens'.

As visitor numbers began to decline, about 10 years ago, the park invested in some local fairground style attractions to offer something extra. The park originally purchased a Scizzer style ride, followed by some second-hand Dodgems and Ferris Wheel. A few years later, a Zamperla Spinner was relocated from a closed park in Europe. The rides certainly draw some significant queues on busy days but wow, do they look dated and tired now. Up until last year the attractions were on an additional paid wristband system but last year, the wristband system was scrapped and the entry price to the park increased as a result (not a popular move, especially from the many non-riders that visit the park). Oh, that's also when the name changed to 'Elmwood Lake Adventure Park' instead of just EL Wildlife Park.

The main reason for me starting these posts on here, is due to the latest exciting development. Early last year, the local council surprisingly announced that they were increasing the area's tourism budget to improve local attractions and increase tourism to the area. Coincidentally, last winter, the park began construction of a brand new 'Themed Land' development, that will comprise of multiple attractions 'perfect for families'. It was announced just last week that the new 'KidZone' area of the park will open in Spring next year; will contain four brand new attractions; will be heavily themed for the family market; and will be sponsored by UK toy retailer 'Wendi's'. While this is only a family orientated development, I am excited that my local park is taking steps towards a more attraction orientated route. I feel like this is a significant development for the park and if successful could lead to some very exciting prospects as to the parks future.

I really look forward to seeing how things develop and I'll be visiting the park shortly to get some pictures and maybe a video of the new area.

Until next time,

James.

Non-Story WIP Pictures

Re: Elmwood Lake Adventure Park - WIP Story Park
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:16 AM »
Lots of WOW, especially that first picture...

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:40 AM »
love the hippo enclosure! keep up the good work!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:01 AM »
You are off to a fantastic start!! You are really capturing the realism from what I can see so far. Love the little neighborhood and that roundabout/roadwork is amazing. I really like the entrance to the kid zone, those colored pencils are cool. Keep up the good work.

Offline JAMMY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like what you've seen so far. Hopefully as time progresses I'll be able to spruce up the buildings more to look far more complex. I've no idea how some of the people on here do it!

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 02:26 PM »
The kidzone theming is fantastic

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Kid Zone looks fun! I love how realistic this looks!

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 02:06 AM »
This is looking great so far! The kids area is really cute and I can't wait to see how it develops. :)

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I've been waiting for someone to do a Toy Story Land inspired kid area! (My apologies if someone has done it before and I have missed it)
Love your car-parks and that turnabout! The outside landscape of your park is simply beautiful. Just some ground texture and trees and BAM. Beautiful!!

Offline JAMMY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you're liking the KidZone theming! I love the concept of the Toy Story Land areas, so wanted to attempt it for a smaller scale and budget. Also yes, the surroundings are rather simple to reflect the endless miles of farmland fields in the UK haha!

Non-Story Updates

Things are slowly taking shape with the park and the right half of the park (Zoological Gardens) areas are now pretty much complete for the first story stage. Below are some pictures of the added features: An old, ageing restaurant close to the hippo enclosure, as well as a playground and a look at the first iteration of the park entrance plaza (supposed to be quite old in the parks timeline). Currently working on the amusement areas and the new KidZone development which I look forward to showing soon and hopefully starting the next story update.

Non-Story WIP Pictures

Until next time!

- James (JAMMY)

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Elmwood Lake Adventure Park - WIP Story Park - New additions (15 Jan)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Loving your work, Jammy! Especially a fan of your map area - the fields and the surrounding area like the housing estate look great and it really adds to the immersion of the whole thing. Keep up the good work.

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:55 AM »
The park is looking good. I really like the surrounding area as well. The detail in the terraforming and landscaping around the park is awesome. Look forward to seeing more.

Offline JAMMY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Thanks guys! The aim was to get a realistic English countryside setting within the somewhat unrealistic PlanCo background templates so I'm glad that came across.

Non-Story Updates

Over the past week I've finished up a few more areas of the park and am currently finishing off the KidZone area. The Zierer Force 190 (Wendi Express) coaster is pretty much complete. The older amusement park area is almost finished and I have added a modern-esque style restaurant on that side of the park. In the storyline, the restaurant was a recent investment. Speaking of the story, once the initial areas are completed and tidied up, I'll be able to post the first proper story update and accompanying video. Hopefully the park will be at that stage within the next couple of weeks. To tide you over, below are some pics of the recent additions.

Non-Story WIP Pictures

If you have any funny titles for the books that cover the station of Wendi Express let me know. :P

Until next time!

- James (JAMMY)

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
I really like how this is turning out. Very realistic! Cannot wait to see more!

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
I love how colorful and playful the Kiddie area looks. Reminds me a bit of the plans Disney has for their new Toy-Story land, which this is inspired by I guess?
However, I am not too sure about the foliage in the area. For some reason the foliage tones down the colors which is a shame. I don't really know how to fix this though, maybe you could add more 'toys' around the paths to add more to the idea of a Toy Land.

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
The clouds around the balloon race are a nice touch
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
I'm loving this so far, especially the KidZone. And the whole area around the park is awesome. It really adds to creating a realistic setting. Great and inspiring work.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JAMMY

• View Profile
Thanks guys! As before, I'm glad you're liking the setting. Certainly took long enough to terraform hah.

@BlueSpirit: Yeah, now that you mention it, I can totally see what you're saying. I'll work on the area to make the scene objects stand out more. I probably won't add too much more around the coaster though as the area is supposed to have a budget. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
Looks so playful. I agree, some of the foliage could use some work. For example, those flowers under the lift hill (fourth picture) don't really work. But a lot of the other foliage looks great; love the supported stick tree, it really conveys that this is a new addition.

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
I like the landscaping alot. It looks very natural and alive. The whole park is really nice embadded in the nature enviroment.
The Resort, parking and the wonderful road layout are just fantastic. Great that you take that effort and gave your park a much more realistic touch.
Inside the park I like the kiddie coaster a lot. But the playground is so creative and looks wonderful and so godamn realistic :o WOW
The architecture design fits the natural park enviroment very good as well. I like the clean, but detailed look of the park buildings, restrooms, walls and backstage areas.

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
    • PARK EUREKA
I'm so IN AWE.. Very realistic. Your decorations are on fleekkkkk and I really like the balance between nature and architecture. MORE PLEASE!

Offline JAMMY

• View Profile
@TMH: Thanks for the feedback! Rest assured I've gone back and toned down the foliage somewhat and tried to make the area seem more... 'fresh'.

@zeroG: I'm glad the area seems realistic. I've tried to recreate the UK countryside as best as I could give the constraints of the map size and at this stage in the parks history, the car park and road layouts are fairly minimalist.

@Berlin87: Thanks! I'm glad the balance between the nature and architecture is good. I hope to maintain this as the park progress; after all, it did start as a natural lake park. :)