SGW Winter Competition 2018 - Challenge #4 Tier One Entries (Winners Posted)

• 23 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile

Challenge #4 Tier One Entrees

Goal: Build a new attraction

Post your entries for Challenge #4 here. This is for Tier One entrants only. The maximum number of screenshots is 8, plus one optional POV. The deadline to enter this challenge is the end of the day, Tuesday, Feb. 13th. Good luck to everyone.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:29 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Winter Competition 2018 - Challenge #4 Tier One Entries
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Fore the Salad

We are very excited to show off our newest additions/changes for our 4th season! Come take a look!

Approaching the park, guests are greeted by our new sign & a glimpse of our newest ride!

Introducing Newt's Apple! The ride itself is 75 feet tall with a max projection of 120 feet in the air. We sprung for a custom shorter model, not only because of the city's height restrictions, but to provide a bit of a tamer experience that can be enjoyed by our younger guests as well.

We really wanted to provide some interaction with the guests who would prefer to watch. They get to see the reactions of the riders on our giant 4M large tv screen.

Here is a view of the ride carriage. The ride seats 2 guests at a time & will operate on a time-slot basis. The building in the back provides a location for scheduling a time slot, purchasing reaction videos, storing loose items, and queueing.

Here, you can see the queue seating area inside the building & some of the electrical infrastructure for the ride.

Newt's Apple can be seen from pretty much everywhere in the park! Here is a view from our Hop Lounge bar.

Since a POV of a non-functional ride is pretty difficult, the video merely does a quick walk-through tour of the entire park with a large emphasis on Newt's Apple.

Thanks very much for setting this up! This challenge gave me an opportunity to build a ride that I've always wanted to attempt & I had lots of fun with it!

Offline CccYou

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Woah, I love that slingshot, as someone who lives in Bakersfield I would love to see one here.  :D

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20 AM »
You absolutely nailed it. Love that miniaturised version. Great!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline SHADOW

• I have gone by many names.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Alright.. Little bit early for once with my entry..

For this one .. I really had no idea what to do. I racked my brain for 2 weeks trying to come up with some ideas.. I had a few thoughts.. Salad beat me to the Bungee SLingshot idea.. so i didn't want to do that... I really wanted to put in a second go kart track.. kind alike a back to our roots of racing kinda thing.. but.. there wasn't enough room to put in a small figure eight track. Finally I had to go with a flat ride. I looked at several but none really stood out at me. I finally decided to use the Larson Super Loop. And then I had to theme it. I think i did pretty good for about 8 hrs of work just today. (Since I really only started today)

No story.. or any lead ins this time. But here's a few shots..

Last but not least.. I added a few more shops down the side here.. as well as a staff building. Employees check in here from a path that leads from teh employee parking lot behind the coaster.

It's not outrageously fancy or anything... but I thinK It fits my theme of the park well.. and budget worthy for a small park.  Really this wasn't a ran out of time thing.. this was.. I Had no idea what to do kinda thing...

The car is from Wings and Strings.. part of his 1928 ford items. I did add some flames onto teh side of it though using icing.. Not perfect.. but best I could do in the game. i tried art pieces but.. they weren't giving the flame look I wanted. This was closer.  I needed a car... and Wings had one.. so .. Why recreate the wheel.. you know.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:37 PM by SHADOW »
Watch me Live on Twitch.tv or check out my videos on YouTube!  - Also can follow me on Twiter

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Welcome back.

Wee Britain received a very fancy tea garden. Water, tea, and coffee are available to guests, as well as a variety as zero calorie sweeteners and sugar substitutes.

New for 1999, we are debuting our first big boy coaster! Constructed by Custom Coasters International, Sewer Spewer towers 60 feet above the park. We enclosed the lift hill, yet we still received noise complaints from the local community. Guess we'll have to add more sound barriers in the future. Ah, the joys of building in the UK.

Sewer Spewer is a one minute, sixteen second high speed roller coaster type ride based in the city of Baths, famed for its ancient Roman baths.

We didn't have much extra cash for theming, but notice how the wood structure evokes the curves of an Roman aqueduct.   

One of our helpful bathing attendants will assign you a spot in our 16 seat chariots.

Fancy a bath? Too bad! Instead, venture to the depth's of Rome's famous sewage system.

Remember your adventure with souvenir from our newest gift shop!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:28 PM by TMH »

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Wow! Very nice entries!

Shadow,
Fireball looks really nice & I love how you carried the curvy checkboard theming from your arcade to the loading platform. It works great with that ride type. Also, the way you have it positioned in its own private plaza is really cool as well :) Walking up to that would certainly build anticipation/excitement for the ride.

TMH,
I love what you did with Sewer Spewer! The details like the handicapped elevator & the steel supports over the path were spot on. It looks very realistic. Also, that gazebo roof.. Love it :)

Also,
You absolutely nailed it. Love that miniaturised version. Great!
Woah, I love that slingshot, as someone who lives in Bakersfield I would love to see one here.  :D
Thanks very much :)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Tier One Winners for Challenge #4

1st Place - Salad Fries - 27 pts

2nd Place - TMH - 24 pts

3rd Place - SHadow - 21 pts

How points were awarded...
We have 6 judges for this competition. Each judge chose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Each member who entered this challenge received 1 point per judge, unless they placed. 3 points were awarded for each 3rd Place, 4 points for each 2nd Place, and 5 points for each 1st Place. Each entry could receive a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 30 points.

Total scores for entire competition so far.

Salad Fries - 93 pts
TMH - 87 pts
SHADOW - 85 pts

Another tough one to judge, they were all awesome.  So I decided to assign a level of difficulty (no, I'm not watching the Olympics, why?) and from there I was comfortable giving my first place vote to Salad Fries.  Not just a custom flat that was done quite well, but some extras like the peep-cam that I really liked.  Then it got even harder, and if this would've been the "theme a flat ride" competition, Shadow would've been a no-brainer, it's one of the best flat themes I've seen.   But I did go with TMH for 2nd, because again, not just the coaster, but lots of extras that grabbed my attention like the lift hill and the fencing.  I hate that third sounds like "last" place, but I really hope it doesn't feel that way.  These three entries would've done well against a much larger field of competitors.  Congrats to you all.  (And also, wow those score totals are close!)

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
As an Outsider looking in... I would've voted the way honestly. With the flat ride and placement I chose.. plus everything I'd already done in the previous challenges. I didn't leave much room for more work and details to be added really. I had to really sit down and work hard on this one and think about what I wanted to do, in the end it was a last minute decision really because none of my other plans worked out. So this one of the only flat rides in the game I liked for this park in particular. I could have made a flat ride I suppose.. but it was going to be the exact same thing Salad made, So I chose a different route. I'm happy with what I made.. but yeah. 3rd place on this one seems fine to me.

Even if I got first place in challenge 5.. I don't think it would make much of a difference in the outcome. With only 3 of us left there's not going to be much of a difference in points. I think the above points totals are pretty much the way it will end once you add points from challenge 5.. the order will be the same.  Don't have much of a motivation to finish it off in a timeframe right now since I know I'll be 3rd no matter what. If I get some time I'll finish it.. if not.. oh well. It was fun anyway.
Watch me Live on Twitch.tv or check out my videos on YouTube!  - Also can follow me on Twiter

Shadow, I think you should wait and see what the other judges write before you make that decision.   If it's a motivation issue I understand, but if the issue is the scoring math I disagree with pretty much every thing you said in that 2nd paragraph.

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
Shadow, you are currently third with 2 points less than TMH and only 8 points behind Salad Fries. You could win this things dude. I would hate to see you leave over motivational reasons but even more because of the score so far. I mean, what are 8 points? If you come out on 1st next challenge with a major difference in points, you would win. So don't throw the towel in the ring just yet and see it out. Maybe you'll surprise yourself and us with your final entry.

As for the entry's, I love all of them. Each has their own style and charm and look fantastic. I can't wait for the final products.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Can I just say, All of your entries were phenomenal! I loved them all!!!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
I actually had you in this order

SaladFries first, because the custom ride looks amazing.
Shadow second because the way you are tying this whole thing together is just awesome, I had a really hard time deciding between you and SaladFries for first TBH.
TMH third, just because the other two entries are better IMO, although I love your park and the silliness of it all.

The truth is that all three of you are so close in points because all three parks are really good!  Shadow, don't get discouraged by the point spread, you could win still.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
SHADOW, Anyone could win at this point. Even if you don't do much of anything else to your park. At least make a thread and put your park on the Workshop so the judges can visit your park first hand. You never know...

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
But first place gets 5 points.. That would put me at 90.. If i got first.. Still wouldnt be enough to pull me out of third.

All great entries again this round. Its really hard to judge. Its the smallest things that are really making the difference. (Shadow - hang in there...one more round. I dare you to blow me away!!!)  :)

Here are my comments from this past round

1st - Saladfries
The new sign was great. the "fake" new slingshot ride was done very well...nice touch with the TV screen to watch riders up close. Great details overall and throughout the park. The roof top bar was a nice addition. Special call-out to the play fountains, the pergolas, and the photo shop.

2nd - TMH
The gazebo was a nice add. I could appreciate the difficulty in creating those round/angled roof lines...something I struggle with in this game. The new woodie was a nice addition and had great details.

3rd - Shadow.
While the theme and look of the looper ride was great and fit in with the rest of the park look...I felt this was a bit lacking in upgrades...but only compared to the other entries. as a stand-alone it was great changes and could have easily placed first. really hard to find the minor details when judging right now.

But first place gets 5 points.. That would put me at 90.. If i got first.. Still wouldnt be enough to pull me out of third.

Per judge.  With 6 judges, that's a possible 30 points per challenge.

And that's assuming final scoring is the same as the prior challenges. 

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
OK, to clear things up with the scoring.  And this is for argument's sake only, just to show the possibilities.

Right now you stand at SF-93. TMH-87. SHADOW-85.

Shadow's best case scenario is he gets a perfect first place, TMH gets a perfect second place, and SF gets a perfect third.  Then the scores would end up at SHADOW 115, SF and TMH at 111 (a tie).  There are of course other combinations of points in which Shadow could win.  Not an easy win, but it is definitely possible.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:39 PM by Muserato »

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Thank you guys for awarding me 1st this challenge & for providing feedback :)

Shadow, it is most definitely possible for you to pull the lead still! Don't get discouraged by mere point values. If challenge 5 is scored with the same point values awarded in challenge #3 with you at first, TMH at 2nd, and me at 3rd, that would tie both you and TMH for first place, with me taking the 3rd place slot.

You have one of my favorite parks in this competition and I always look forward to seeing what you come up with. Hell, even though you mentioned that you did this challenge in a short amount of time, I was absolutely blown away by what you did! It was easily one of the best ride skins I have ever seen! I actually had a hard time figuring out where the stock frontier ride stopped and the custom scenery began (actually had to log into planco to physically compare the stock ride to your theme).

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Thanks guys.. Yeah I suppose my math was wrong then.. I didnt think about 5 per judge.. Just 5 points in general.. And was just saying that with just three of in this it seemed pretty cut and dry at the monent so I didnt see a point in trying to mKe the time to finish when it was already determined. Thanks for setting me straight on the totals and the math. I dont have much to do at this point to finish up. Just some more lighting and little details here and there.  I have had fun with this competition though. And enjoyed everyones work. I wish some of the others hadnt have dropped out so early though. Was really wanting the challenge against more.   Salad your park has been creative from the start.. And Same to youTMH.  When I was thinking.. Yeah.. I GOT THIS.. then you guys would post your work and I was like.. Crap.. Thats pretty damn neat.. Its been anyones ballgame between the three of us.. The tier 2 guys have really impressed me as well.  All in al I needed something to put my mind to and work on other than my other parks and this filled that void

Offline coaster1

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I must say that I understand te teasoning but If I would follow that than I would have stopped after challenge 2 Because I would never be able to win. Keep up Your Great work and you can get those few points and still win

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
I dont have much to do at this point to finish up. Just some more lighting and little details here and there.
And it's going to be the little details that could easily make the difference, since the judges will get to visit your parks and see them from a new perspective. We'll be able to see things that screenshots can't convey.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
shy alwayse looking for the small details ;) Hes the king of the small details.
sad to see there are only 3 left in tier 1.. where are all the others gone?
Int ier2 i think there was only one or two quitters till now? :D
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch