Fore the Salad (SGW Winter Comp - Tier 1)

• 15 replies

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Fore the Salad (SGW Winter Comp - Tier 1)
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Fore the Salad

Welcome back for our 5th annual grand opening celebration! This year we added a whole bunch of cool new things to do!

This year, we added a whole new section to the park. Our expansion includes 2 new flat rides, a pizza restaurant, a gift shop, a smoothie stand, and a series of utility items that have been repeatedly requested for by both our guests and staff.

In order to provide a better work environment, we invested in a brand new, state of the art staff lounge! Here is the associated outdoor break area.

In addition to our new expansion, we have made some modifications to our Mouse in the Kitchen dark ride.

Here are some aerial shots of the park:

And last, but most importantly, we are glad to invite everyone to visit our park in person!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1310281833

All of the billboards are located at the following address:
http://www.customscenerydepot.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=3699

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
Re: Fore the Salad (SGW Winter Comp - Tier 1)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Great work, Salad Fries! I think this was your best round yet, which is saying something. Everything looks perfect.

Love the humor as well. Is Shopping Cart Derby a bumper cars?

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:13 PM »

Ya lol. Shopping cart derby is the park's bumper cars attraction..

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Oh my goodness!!

I just downloaded the park and had a stroll around. This park is GORGEOUS!

Every detail is clean cut and nothing is overstated. I love it!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:15 PM »
This looks awesome Salad Fries!  I love the architecture in your park quite a bit!

Offline Zurg

• BMO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Awesome work Salad Fries! Just took a walk around the park and everything looks gorgeous. Also, there's ton of little details that I had missed on the picture updates, but when checking it out first hand your attention to detail really shows. Btw, you've nailed the 'brand new build' look.
Congrats on a brilliant park!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:30 AM by Zurg »
Check EUROPA GARDENS in the parks section!

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Zurg, regarding the brand new build look, I'm so glad you noticed! I was actually trying really hard to go for exactly that (down to purposely avoiding trees as much as possible through most of the challenges & making sure my other plants looked relatively immature)

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:18 PM »
You kept the look of the original park while bringing some style to it. Some stuff looks possibly a bit extra but that may be made up for how far you went to the details.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Challenge #5 Score - 1st Place - 30pts

Wow. The first perfect score of 30 pts in the competition! What can I say. You nailed the look and feel of a small town park. At first, nothing really jumps out at you as far as saying "Wow." But this is a park that you truly have to visit in person to appreciate all the little details and tender loving care that went into making it. And there's a lot of humor to be found exploring this park. You built the best custom flat ride in the competition, and your coaster was one of the best wooden coasters as well. Then there's the multi-level Mini-Golf with the big, fake waterfall that's at the same time, ugly, but totally what you'd expect to see in this type of park. Your dark ride was clever, although a bit too short. I wanted more! :P The architecture was subdued, sometimes dull, and occasionally brilliant. There was no one thing that made this the 1st place winner. It was a combination of all the little parts and bits that created a very immersive and realistic hometown park. Congratulations on a job well done.

I awarded this 1st Place for this challenge.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 01:04 PM »
As mentioned, I too gave you first place for this entry.
The new buildings, stalls, and picnic area look great. The added bumper cars and the staff area make this park look really completed. You had some minor upgrades to the track ride. The overall plaza layout of the park paths is an added bonus. Not sure if it was new, but flying around the park I noticed the brickwork on the paths in the mini-golf area…really nice. I also was able to better appreciate the game stalls you built (I wish there were some in game working chance games). The coaster also fits really nice in this size park. I also really like your mini-golf layout with the different elevations.

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 03:13 AM »
I love the totaly realistic look of the whole park. Just the first picture is wonderful.
The modern clean but yet versatile and detailed architecture is quite inspiring espacially the roof design from the Pizza Pen store. The custom made lamps are great as well and the design fits the park very good. Your sling shot flat ride is absolutly fantastic. Very creative and the perfect place to set it at the park entrance. The Go Gart layout is very nice too. I like the bridge very much.
The big front street and the typical american strip mall architecture with the parking lot adds so much to the whole atmosphere of realism.
One of my favorite entries!

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 06:14 AM »
For this challenge I placed you first.  Here are my observations:

This is the most complete and finished park of the the three.  The flaws are very few, i just wish interiors were there, but I know how hard they are to make.
Entrance canopy is great +
Fence ends as golf balls at rental counter… genius +
Water feature in mini golf is very impressive, can’t stop marveling at the rock work ++
Custom waiting benches +
Realistic “make the queue fit in that space” feel for karts +
Back part of karts is backwards, signs face wrong direction, the rest is exactly what I expected the karts to look like for a park like this.
Eating area overlooking the karts that is actually usable, nice! ++
Backstage behind the hop lounge +
Not taking the lack of interiors into consideration here, but heck it would be nice
Hiding half the bathroom to bring it to more realistic size +
Funky funny midway names +
Condiment station behind potato plow pictures doesn’t seem to have a purpose, is it for the coffee shop?
Custom made ride ++
Nice layout with very good use of space. 
There are a couple of spots that could be more polished  here or there, but they are just minor and I’m probably just nitpicking.
The potato plow is a nice little coaster, even a bit shaky in all the right ways.  It could maybe go a little faster on the turn arounds, but again, that’s just nitpicking.
I wish mouse in the kitchen was longer, very cool theme.  It’s like janky ratatouille.
Lights are plentiful for night time, but too white, sometimes too bright
No park music -
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:22 AM by Muserato »

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Thank you everyone for your feedback, i really appreciate it :)

I did want to address a couple of the points:

1 - the length of Mouse in the Kitchen ride. I totally agree with you that its too short & it is definitely my biggest regret with this park. Before I came up with the mouse in the kitchen theme, I was actually a good 1/2 way done building a completely different, much longer ride that showed life from the perspective of a french fry. It showed the entire life stage of the french fry from its initial manufacture (being shaped from a raw potato) all the way to the digestive tract of the lucky customer who ate it. I ended up scrapping the idea only a few days before the deadline, though, as it proved to be a bit to ambitious for me (i was really struggling with a few of the sets, particularly the inside of the human mouth/throat). Because of the limited time i had after scrapping it, i decided to make the theme super simple & cut the ride's length back to a level that was a bit more manageable. I do intend to flesh out the theme a bit better in a future park though. :)

2 - Music. The park actually has music throughout (it must have gotten messed up in the upload. i apologize). The music wasn't anything particularly special (merely stock planco music), but i promise that it was accounted for. Most of the park was merely just a generic rock song, but the following areas had something different:
-parking lots - no music
-mini golf - tranquil forest sounds
-newts apple - screaminator theme
-mouse in the kitchen - an eerie soundtrack (cant remember the name)

Most of the soundtracks can be heard in my tour of the park (challenge 4) & the mouse in the kitchen soundtrack can be heard in its pov.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:06 AM by Salad Fries »

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 05:46 PM »
My notes:

By now you already know your first place vote was unanimous.

Your architecture impressed me early on in the competition, and you sustained that level of build all the way through.  Your awnings, trellis, fencing...  your pathwork was very ambitous...  Probably one of my favorite golf courses, especially the water feature.  I'm still trying to figure out how you did some of the things even after taking stuff apart.  I also liked your custom light posts, your signage throughout the park, and I liked the overall layout.  And all those custom roofs you did, I'll definitely be copying.

This park has a great layout, it's never boring and every view is scenic.  I liked the clean and unified palette you carried through everything. I thought the bar interior was a cute addition, and definitely better than my interior attempts, but it did leave me wanting a little bit more details since I knew you were capable of it.

I also had notes that I wanted more from the dark ride and more from the flat rides (not sure what I meant by that when I wrote these notes... I'm thinking I wanted more theming for the rides you had as opposed to more flat rides.)  But I had a hard time finding anything negative to say at all.  This was just a great park, and your win was much deserved.

Congrats!

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback :)

If it was the mountain that you were trying to take apart, i definitely feel your pain lol. To be completely honest, im not really too sure how it turned out the way it did either. I merely started with a rough shape made out of the broken temple pieces, then added more every time i noticed a seam between them. I was obsessing pretty hard over the seams & spent at least 50% of the challenge just trying to cover them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:04 PM by Salad Fries »