What Project(s) Are You Proud Of?

• 17 replies

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
What Project(s) Are You Proud Of?
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:33 PM »
This topic is something that I feel I would like to see a good amount of responses from. The goal is a collection of works to really show how members have developed over the years across all of the RCT games. SGW is the place to be because there is so much talent and this is where members shine throughout all aspects of theme park simulation games. Considering this board is dedicated to the whole RCT franchise, I believe it will be interesting to see what everyone has done throughout the history of Roller Coaster Tycoon. This topic is going to be a positive reflection of what we have done as a community. Happy posting!

Offline Chromin

• I mostly just lurk nowadays
    • View Profile
Re: What Project(s) Are You Proud Of?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 06:38 AM »
Welp, my post became a bit... long. Feel free to read my rambling.

After many years in this game, there's so many projects that I'm proud of, really - or at least, that I was proud of at the time. What really put them apart from other projects was how much time I spent on them and how much better they were than other projects I'd done until then, not to forget that they got positive feedback and sometimes won/did well in contests. Most importantly, however, is that I set a high bar for myself and my ideas and managed to achieve that level. In the past, I would often have an excellent idea, but upon completing it, it fell short from what I'd hoped; or I would never finish it, because it was not feasible to achieve. The projects I'm proud of is where the end result matched, or even surpassed, my initial idea. They're not necessarily 'objectively good', they've just been very well-executed. Even if a project I built later was better, it isn't as memorable to me because some of my older projects stood out more. They were the projects that stimulated me to continue building and playing the game and improving my creations.

Anyway, time for some shameless self-promotion as I showcase some of my old projects that I'm really proud of. Most of these projects aren't as special now, but some of them I'm still quite proud of. They're also really quite old: most of them are from 2013, when I was most active in the game, so there's a somewhat distinct style to them. However, what's most important in them is that they show my improvement as a creator, and they showed what hard work can achieve - all these projects are things I spent plenty of time on, more than I normally would. We all started somewhere, and through hard work and constant self-improvement I managed to create greater projects. I think everyone else could do the same ;)

Here goes.

Lake Guardian - B&M Sitdown - January 2013

This coaster was by far my best project at the time. I won a coaster contest with it and got mentioned in the Weekly Ambassador (which felt really good at the time). I wasn't very experienced with RCT3 yet, but this coaster marked a milestone for me. I finally felt that I was capable of making creations that could match up with some of the better creators in the community. This also defined my style of foliage and buildings: very dense forests with an enormous amount of ground shrubbery. (People who have been here here for a while will know I once was very strict on this ;).) There are flaws to it, but I was really proud of the result.

Silva Caeli - Intamin Blitz - April 2013

Did I say 'dense foliage'? Well, this one takes it a bit further. It wasn't just the foliage that made this coaster another favourite of mine, though. I'd wanted to create an enchanted forest for a while, and this was my first attempt. It came out very well, with a varied landscape and some excellent atmosphere (even if I say so myself, lol).

Archipelago Kingdom - Park - July 2013

The second and last time I created a theme park in RCT3, a park spread over multiple islands with multiple different climates and a large amount of attractions. Even though I didn't get the end result I wanted, I was glad I finished a huge, varied project, especially since I was plagued with issues towards the end. Oh, and I won another contest with this, which was nice.

Mana - 'Unique' Coaster - December 2013

After Silva Caeli, I wanted to make another enchanted forest coaster; but this time, I went even further and created an even better creation. The coaster didn't have a realistic layout, but that was never the idea anyway. I put in so much time in creating an exciting and varied experience, and it paid off. The final atmosphere was almost exactly what I'd envisioned, which made me so happy with the end result. It was my best project so far, and to date I still consider it in my personal top 3.

Stormland - B&M Invert - December 2014

2014 was the year I first slowed down on RCT3, but not without releasing a few projects. The best among them was definitely Stormland, an entry to DAI3 (It was 7th, which was not bad considering the competition I had). This dark coaster was a break away from my otherwise brighter creations, with a darker storyline. However, I kept my style of throwing in a ton of foliage, creating a dark swamp that one could easily get lost in. I was very pleased with the scenery, which added to the ride; but the layout was also well-done, and others commended that too. I'm glad that my only real attempt at a dark, somewhat spooky ride paid off.

DREAM - Unique B&M - September 2017

I've been very quiet the last few years, and most of my creations, while still good, are small projects that I'm not really proud of. However, DREAM definitely did turn out excellently. I first created the idea in 2014, but it took me a while before I really got around to executing it. Not only did I fulfill my goals, I feel I exceeded them and did much more than I thought to be possible. Even if I say so myself, it's a very unique project and probably my best creation to date.

Nothing to see here

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Pretty proud of the whole DAI concept. that was fun and really displayed the creativity & talent of the community.

Best released project would probably be patzelwurm or flakmann. Both were really fun, took forever to do, and I still think look really impressive.

Then there's so so so much stuff I never finished. A project I, uuuhh, stole from Leonadis. His work was by far some of the best I'd ever had the pleasure of building on top of. this is the only picture I can find of it.

I obviously had tordale park, which had a map drawn for it which is crazy. No idea how I managed that.
A wing rider I never finished but was so close to
I think I had another n7 project, but can't remember for sure...
a couple things that never really took off with JakeC, but would've been great if they did
and neptunes fury was a pretty cool thing

anyway, its pretty obvious I only work well by myself on parks, and the fact that all my really good projects have been collaborations or takeovers of sorts highlights the beauty of the game and what the community used to be. I kinda miss it sometimes..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:23 PM by toofpikk »

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Just about the only project I worked on in RTC3. - it took me years to make this park...and I plan on trying to recreate this in PlanCo real soon.

http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,13642.0.html

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 06:25 PM »
To the three of you,
I have looked at all of your works during my time here. I will say that there is a common theme of improving one's skills to help achieve the highest standard. I know I have reviewed some of your works, and it is really unbelievable at how much detail each creation has. I can only dream of reaching the level of detail each of you put within each creation. I know some creations are adapted from others, but that is one of the main goals in SGW. I have seen numerous creations and tried to recreate certain areas for my personal parks. Sometimes I surprise myself, so I really understand what each of you have gone through during the development process. It definitely takes a lot of guts to share creations really early on in the development phase, but I feel the main reason for posting is to share the developments that happen as time progresses.
Thank you guys for sharing what you are proud of! I cannot wait for more members to share!

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Apologies for reviving a week old post.
I find 'being proud' a large statement but im happy with several objects i got to create in blender, showing them in rct:w (buildings, plants). If i get to re-installing rct3 id like to put time in actually finishing a park (and show it).

Compliments to wowmanrct, toofpikk and Chromin: wonderful creations!

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:48 PM »
I felt the closest I ever got to being 'proud' of something was East Side. After realizing I couldn't fake authentically old parks, I started early in the timeline and the hundreds of iterations made something that at least resembled my initial idea in character, even though the timeline was a mess. Looking back, there's very little I still enjoy in that park apart from a few buildings. Mainly I think I got too picky with lights and RCT3 really can't provide the control I need. I do keep a few shots of the park for my design portfolio though.. Formative project though, certainly.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Pretty proud of the whole DAI concept. that was fun and really displayed the creativity & talent of the community.

Best released project would probably be patzelwurm or flakmann. Both were really fun, took forever to do, and I still think look really impressive.

Then there's so so so much stuff I never finished. A project I, uuuhh, stole from Leonadis. His work was by far some of the best I'd ever had the pleasure of building on top of. this is the only picture I can find of it.

In the second picture_ what set are the roof pieces from?

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:11 PM »
no I mean the ones on the left

Offline Fonki

• Fonki Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 11:14 PM »
some of my projects i did in the past :D

sleepy hollow (based on the one in assassins creed black flag)

versaille

Offline Fonki

• Fonki Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 03:01 PM »
no I mean the ones on the left

i think its one of pat's efteling sets

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 03:14 AM »

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Definitely proud of my Halloween Horror Nights 28 recreation.

Disney's Discovery Kingdom

Typhoon Lagoon

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 02:36 PM »
ImagineerTim: Piraten In Batavia is a masterpiece in graphic design and editing. And Reich der Phantasie captures perfectly all aspects of the worlds of fantasy. I especially like how you use the fireflies to transition from one area to the next; they tie it all together. And I really enjoy the music you chose for these videos.

hhnman234: Halloween Horror Nights looks great; very moody. Are those the in-game lasers or from the 'laser fakes' set?

Offline hhnman234

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 02:43 PM »
ImagineerTim: Piraten In Batavia is a masterpiece in graphic design and editing. And Reich der Phantasie captures perfectly all aspects of the worlds of fantasy. I especially like how you use the fireflies to transition from one area to the next; they tie it all together. And I really enjoy the music you chose for these videos.

hhnman234: Halloween Horror Nights looks great; very moody. Are those the in-game lasers or from the 'laser fakes' set?

In-game lasers with the GRB laser cs set.

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Thanks! I didn't have that set yet (Gary roach prod-Projecteurlaser V.1... I think that's the one?). Just downloaded it from the CS Depot. :)

Offline hhnman234

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Thanks! I didn't have that set yet (Gary roach prod-Projecteurlaser V.1... I think that's the one?). Just downloaded it from the CS Depot. :)

Yes that's the one!