What's Your Favorite Abandoned Idea?

• 4 replies

Offline L4C Designs

• Coasters are great but dark rides are fun too.
    • View Profile
What's Your Favorite Abandoned Idea?
« on: March 14, 2018, 09:50 PM »

Throughout the 63 year history of Disney parks, there have been many ideas that have been announced or teased that never came to fruition. Even recently, the announced Main Street theater at the Magic Kingdom got axed. My question is, what concept or idea that never came to fruition is your favorite?

While I love the ideas of Discovery Bay at Disneyland or WestCOT on the California Adventure land, I absolutely wish Disney's America could have taken the place of Knott's Berry Farm. While I love Knott's Berry Farm (it's my favorite non-Disney/Universal park), I really only love the parts that the Imagineers were planning to keep.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story of Disney's America, others have explained it better than I could, but essentially it was a park idea originally intended for Virginia that was retrofitted to be a converted Knott's Berry Farm after the Knott family decided to sell the park in the 90s. Sadly they sold the park to Cedar Fair out of fear Disney would ruin most of what was in the park. Ironically, Cedar Fair has changed more than the Disney plan had called for.
Disney Realms - A New Kind of Magic Kingdom - Coming in 2019
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,18972.0.html

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Favorite Abandoned Idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:02 AM »
I barely know about any cancelled attractions, but one that comes to mind is a ride with the TOT ride system called geysir mountain. It would be themed to a mine with active geysirs that pust the elevator cars up and dow and would be set in a western themed land such as Frontierland. They thought about adding it to DL, MK and DLP but since all of theese parks either already had a Tower of Terror or no suitable location or ground for such an attraction it was never built in any park. It would have been a cool ride though.

Here is a video of a model of what it would have looked like:

Offline L4C Designs

• Coasters are great but dark rides are fun too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Ah, yes, Geyser Mountain. I believe the idea came up before Tower of Terror was even thought of. The ride system was then retrofitted to fit the abandoned hotel theme.
Disney Realms - A New Kind of Magic Kingdom - Coming in 2019
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,18972.0.html

Offline Kapaun

• In the tiki, tiki, tiki room
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 04:46 PM »
I've never heard of geyser mountain - that would have been a really fun attraction. I've been contemplating an attempt at Disney's America in Planet Coaster.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:10 PM »
My favorite abandoned idea has got to be the Main Street theater at Magic Kingdom. Sure, it has been recent, but still amazes me that it appeared then disappeared quickly.