Brimscombe Hill Park and Gardens Phase three - Caterpillar Corner (complete)

• 65 replies

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Welcome to Brimscombe Hill Park and Gardens

This is my first real attempt at making a full park, outside of the winter competition, and I am really enjoying building it. I had some advice from the beginners forum that really helped me to focus and actually have something...a massively W.I.P. something...but something that I am enjoying.

So the park is located in the Five Valleys in the Cotswolds as that was the vibe the deciduous park was giving me and I know it well. So a lot of the building work is going to be looking for charm and I am really enjoying foliage and landscaping at the moment so….BUSHES AND TREES :D

Anyway here are some images of my progress.

Humble beginnings:

There is an amazing Ice Cream stall up Rodborough Common called “Winstons Ice Creams” that are the best in the area so I had to get them signed on:

More shots of the entrance and Winstons taken from the Venition Carousel and it’s bandstand style gazebo. Incidentally, the first ride I have put into the park.

After I added the Carousel I decided to tackle a log flume for my first area. Here is the shell:

I decided to call it “The Waterworks” an homage to the waterworks museum and the warehouses at the Gloucester Docks. Here is an overview of the ride and I have surrounded it with a quiet picnic area accessible via a short nature walk (how very British), A grill joint (currently Chief Beef themed but I am going to work on my own sign-age.

And FINALLY… an overview of the progress:

Thank you for stopping in and I would welcome any input, feedback, criticisms (constructive or not).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:58 PM by FCP-Rug »
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Re: Brimscombe Hill Park and Gardens (Early W.I.P.)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 01:48 AM »
This is looking great so far, Rug.  Great layout, palette, and architecture so far.  Really cool how you did the carousel and looking forward to more pics of the log ride.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 04:59 AM »
Nice start - can't wait to see more

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:25 AM »
That's some great work Rug! Super nice flume!

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 02:40 PM »
nice start, love the caroussel

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 04:51 PM »
This is looking lovely so far. Hmm...In the next competition, you may have to move to the advanced tier. ;)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Must see more pictures of log flume. 0.0

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Coaster Cinema

• Planet Coaster Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 11:05 AM »
So far everything looks good.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Looks like a really spectacular start & am excited to watch your progress :)

Love that ice cream stall!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:08 PM »
I am really glad to hear the kind words.

As requested here a few more pictures of The Waterworks.

I have started on a new area and I keep going from hating it to liking it. I plan to make a medieval/fantasy area. I knew I wanted fantasy but I was struggling to find one that would fit in with this park. I am still unsure. I even considered roman since there is history in the area.

Any way this is the start for the area with a functioning (food wise) Five Valleys Inn and Chair-swing.

And that is it for now. It is taking a lot to come up with ideas for this area. Ideas are welcome!!!

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Re: Brimscombe Hill Park and Gardens (Medieval/Fantasy?! W.I.P.)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 08:56 PM »
This park is very beautiful. I can see this being a very peaceful and relaxed park for families. I am excited at how this is going to develop because it is just magnificent already.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 09:43 PM »
This park is off to a great start!  I find it rather hard to believe it's your first :).
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AnubisLive

• Rotterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Nice too see all the progress you're making! I like your simple, but clean hometown park look!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
I have made some progress this week as I kind of wasn't sure where I was going I was quiet for a bit.

Basically I have scrapped the lake as I didn't like building around it and instead made a sort of tiny faux town square (even though it is only two/3 buildings at the moment. I basically have a restaurant with hotel rooms up stairs and a dedicated hotel next door.

I thought I could include a picture of the train station near the enterance.

I was hoping that I could get some feedback/ideas on the future of this park. I don't want to expand it too much further as I would like to finish this park and also because I don't want it to become some giant theme park.

Here is my plan (get ready for the best MS Paint job you EVER did see!!!)

I am looking for advice on what kind of coaster to do in the small area middle right. I was thinking of doing the 'kiddie' coaster here. Along the lines of troublesome trucks runaway (drayton manor) or maybe a small wooden coaster which I might dig some of the ground out so it is not too tall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I can expand the area of the coaster a little bit possibly but I would like to maintain an eyeline towards the railway bridge from the medieval area here:

Otherwise I am just looking for suggestions on the theming for the outer areas of the park and any gaping holes in my layout ideas that you guys can think of.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Forgot to add these two images ha ha!

;D

I like this park

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I have made some progress this week as I kind of wasn't sure where I was going I was quiet for a bit.

It looks excellent!  Likes it's been there a long time and feels secure in what it is.  I really like the vibe of the place.

I am looking for advice on what kind of coaster to do in the small area middle right. I was thinking of doing the 'kiddie' coaster here. Along the lines of troublesome trucks runaway (drayton manor) or maybe a small wooden coaster which I might dig some of the ground out so it is not too tall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

As it happens, I'm just now putting the finishing touches on a kiddie coaster that's about the same size as the Troublesome Trucks, but is nowhere near as charming.  Lift hill is only 9m.  It's supposed to be a copy of the Loco Loco at Dixie Landin'.  I used the Windego due to having 2-seat cars like the real thing and ignore that it's got traction wheels instead of a chain lift :).  LOTS of custom supports.....   Should have it up on Workshop in a couple hours if you're interested.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Oh, I'll take a look when I am next on. I want to try and get to grips with building my own coasters so at the least I could give it a download and look through it. I need to broaden my coaster knowledge before I go into the custom supporting though that sounds more like fun then work to me.

I think a lot of the buildings in Stroud and the cotswolds are built to last buildings so that is a good sign.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Looking good so far. That aerial shows a real nice flow to the park and good use of land.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
great looking park. love the treest and the play with the heights.
what for me looks a bit "bad" is the splash area from the logflum. itsd just a giant concret wall, maybe you can play there with the heights as well that it just dont look like a huge giant concret bath.

oh and those two last shots are looking great, with the train going trough. thats great!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Oh, I'll take a look when I am next on. I want to try and get to grips with building my own coasters so at the least I could give it a download and look through it. I need to broaden my coaster knowledge before I go into the custom supporting though that sounds more like fun then work to me.

I know next to nothing about coasters (or architecture, or park design, or gardening).  I can, however, operate the various construction tools in the game and can use them to copy photos :D.

Making custom supports is usually pretty easy from a technical POV.  In general, each support is a very simple structure with only a few parts.  There are, of course, exceptions, but in general it largely boils down to making 1 example of a type of support, copying it to different locations, and then adjusting its parts to fit the track at that place.  It can get rather tedious, however, if you have to do a lot of this.

Most coasters generally need a few custom supports, either because the game didn't put one where it needs to be, or you don't like the look of a certain default support.  Fortunately, with most of the larger steel coasters, the track itself is a self-supporting truss so it mostly only needs to be held up in the air periodically on a leg.  And these legs are usually simple tubes you can throw together quickly with art shapes, and you have lots of room to work with, so no big deal.

Kiddie coasters, however, are often another story.  With these, the track is often just cheap C-channel rails so has no strength of its own.  Thus, the supports not only lift it into the air but also provide all the structural strength of the track.  And the supports are usually made of narrow, rectangular tubes (again, cheap) which aren't individually very strong, so you need a lot of them.  The result is often a rat's nest of scads of support legs (Haunted House Pillars are great for this) and bracing cables all crammed into a very tight space because the coaster itself is small.  And often the ride is designed to be portable so all this sits on a concrete slab with a ground-level web of foundation parts to attach the supports to the slab.  Getting all this to fit in a life-size footprint can sometimes be a challenge.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
That is sort of what I plan to do, just use the toolset and copy images, however, I would like to know the reason why the picture I pick has the particular set so that I actually know WHY I am doing the thing that I am. If that makes sense.

The explanations in your last paragraph are the sort of thing I want to know about. I like the "how/why it is made kind of things as well" and it will be interesting to see if I find it as interesting as I do landscaping and architecture.  Though I am just playing at knowledge it is fun. Hobby-ish.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Bullethead could you link me to your coaster please?

Also quick update: Did the play park round the back of the two hotel buildings.

:)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Bullethead could you link me to your coaster please?

Also quick update: Did the play park round the back of the two hotel buildings.

Sure thing:  http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,20603.0.html

Also, you need to make a blueprint of this playground.  It's excellent!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
I lost all the work I did from just before the play park onward.

Which is annoying cause I basically went around adding path detailing, terraforming and foliage to the rest of the park. The dirty work as it were.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Whew, I managed to find the files in windows.old! That was lucky!

Anywho, I did some work today. This is the Lavender Cafe.

So relieved.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Whew, I managed to find the files in windows.old! That was lucky!
Anywho, I did some work today. This is the Lavender Cafe.

Glad to hear that.  There's also the Steam Cloud you can use, too.

Anyway, nice shop :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Glad you didn't lose your files. I'm constantly backing up my PC save games and media files to another drive. And I upload my unfinished parks to Steam every so often (in hidden mode). It's just too damn easy to lose your saves for this game.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
I use cloud saves but for some reason the cloud saves weren't up to date. No idea why.a

My PC is under powered for planet coaster and it has started blue screening at random. Need to get a new one when money allows.

Will have to start copying save files too. Though currently I don't have any seperate storage.

Glad you didn't lose your files. I'm constantly backing up my PC save games and media files to another drive. And I upload my unfinished parks to Steam every so often (in hidden mode). It's just too damn easy to lose your saves for this game.

That's a great idea, I forgot you could upload stuff and keep it hidden.  I need to do that this weekend.

Looking good Rug -- nice cafe, and I really like the playground and stone walls/planters/benches up above.  Clever stuff.