Brimscombe Hill Park and Gardens Phase three - Caterpillar Corner (complete)

• 65 replies
Really liking the way this is progressing. Looks very organic and realistic.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
I am really not looking forward to doing the rollercoaster. I almost always flop at coaster building. I kinda want to outsource the coaster and just do the theming or...something like that.

I need to actually try and not throw a strop.  ;D :scared: :D
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Very nice simple and clean, I like it. :)

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
This is really shaping up to be a great park. There's some really nice touches. That overview with the Chairswing and Monteleone is gorgeous.

As you were asking for feedback about the future of the park, I have a few ideas if you want them. I would make some hills, even if they're small to give the land some elevation so it feels like the Cotswolds. You could also have a small area looking like a typical chocolate box village like the area is known for. Or something inspired by Warwick Castle. Or you could base a part on Stratford Upon Avon and Shakespear with a little river and the Tudor houses and a million hanging baskets.
And as for coasters, I think a good Woodie with the Millenium Flyer trains or an RMC T-Rex would be a perfect fit for this park.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Absolutely, I am definitely looking for feedback!!

With regards to the hills I totally agree. Stroud isn't called the 5 valleys for nothing. I made one decent hill then removed it right in the centre and lowered some too. I do want to put some in, there is a slight rise round the back of the log flume in the bottom right and I might carry that on round the back of the park. Where would you recommend other hills looking at the top down?

With regards to the Tudor area I was trying to avoid doing that to be honest. Mostly because the Cotswold and the Tudor stuff is similar but a bit different. The medieval area nearly didn't happen because it is too similar to the Tudor stuff. I could probably extend the buildings in this area along and move the cafe to somewhere else without any issue.

Thing is I do love Tudor houses and Stratford-upon-Avon is gorgeous...hmm...

I considered doing a castle too. It is really hard cause of sizing but I could do... something similar to warwick but using the same wall pieces from the medieval area. What do you think?

I couldn't find a very good approximation of Cotswold Stone in game which is kind of upsetting cause things are looking more and more tudor or just modern.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Okay, after a while of thinking on it I have decided to ask for some help. I am looking for somebody to build a family coaster for me. I have marked out the area I want the coaster to be within. As you can see below it is labelled "Help! I am having a crisis! :n00b:

Is anyone wanting to have a crack at this? I would be happy to send over the park file.

Originally my thinking was using the arrow track with a different coaster car BUT I would be happy with any family sized not too expensive design.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Originally my thinking was using the arrow track with a different coaster car BUT I would be happy with any family sized not too expensive design.

I'm pretty sure that changing cars won't let kids board a coaster they normally can't.  Cars are now considered purely cosmetic, like paint, so I think the "for all ages" flag stays with the coaster object itself (IOW, the track and type of coaster you selected from the menu).  So, there's only a limited set of coasters that kids can ride, the majority of which are incapable of inverting:  Wendigo, Dragon, both mine trains, the spinner, the purely wooden coasters, and some of the hypers and gigas.  The only inverting coasters kids can ride are the hybrids and the Looney Turns.

In addition to starting with the right type of coaster, you also have to keep the fear low enough for kids to want to ride it.  About 80% of families have fear tolerances below 3.8 so if your fear rating is as high as 4.0, hardly any families will ride it even though there's no hard-wired prohibition.  This is more of a concern with the potentially bigger coasters and those that can invert, so you have to pull your punches with those so they're not too scary.

All that said, I happen to have 3 family coaster blueprints up on Workshop.  Each is a very close approximation of a real coaster (in terms of size and custom supports):  A Maurer SC2000 spinner, an E&F Miler 24' Harvest Express, and a Galaxi.  Fisherman has a better Galaxi and an SDC/Zamperta Hurricane.  One of these might suit your situation.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Online zeroG

• View Profile
Gravity|Kinetics would love to built a Family Coaster for Brimscombe Hill Park.

If you give me a try, you can PM me.

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Thanks for that info Bullethead. I didn't realise the game had that restriction in place (though it makes sense)

zeroG, I will PM you the link to the park on steam and you would be doing me a huge favour! Thank you.

I guess it depends on your ultimate goal of making this a peep experience or not...  I tend to forget them and just build what I want however I want since the game doesn't calculate rider interest very well, [flats get ignored no matter how you theme them, coasters only stay popular when they're first built, etc.)  If you need peeps for pictures you can just close the other rides and force them onto the ride you want.  Personally I think you can do a lot of things with that Arrow track to make a family ride.

Hope your "crisis" gets resolved quickly!   :P

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I guess it depends on your ultimate goal of making this a peep experience or not...  I tend to forget them and just build what I want however I want since the game doesn't calculate rider interest very well, [flats get ignored no matter how you theme them, coasters only stay popular when they're first built, etc.) ....

Oh, it's not as bad or as simple as that :).  First off, you can disable the ride-aging mechanic so ride's prestige never changes.

Peep ride choice is at least a 3-step process.  First, they exclude all rides they can't physically go on.  This means families ignore adult/teen-only coasters, and all groups with 5 or 6 peeps ignore all rides with only 4 seats per vehicle/train (like antique cars).  Second, peeps exclude all rides with a fear rating higher than their max fear tolerance (they also check nausea but this usually doesn't matter).  Third, they rank the remaining rides in order, with the higher ranked rides having a higher chance of being chosen, then roll a d100 to decide which ride.  The major factor determining a ride's ranking is its prestige, but other factors also play in, such as travel distance, how many times the peeps have already gone on that ride, etc.  Price used not to be considered at all in this process.  I've heard rumors that's been changed but I'm not sure and haven't tested it.

Anyway, ranking is mostly prestige, and prestige is a combination of the ride's excitement, duration, and scenery level.  Assuming everything in the park has 100% scenery, that's a wash, so it's excitement and duration that matter.  However, there are break points in the prestige scale between which all rides can compete with each other more or less equally.  These break points occur about every 600 prestige, meaning rides with 700 and 1000 prestige are about equally popular, but both are way more popular than rides with 500 or less.  The more interesting flat rides have no trouble getting over 600 prestige--some can get as much as 1100.  The tame flat rides, the kiddie ones, though, are difficult to get even to 500.

So, to keep kiddie flat rides busy, you need to keep the fear rating of your family-friendly track rides and coasters above about 3.8.  Such rides have much higher prestige than the tame flat rides, but only about 20% of families can tolerate fear of 3.8 and above.  Thus, the other 80% of families will exclude these rides from their list of choices and go for the lower-fear flats, while a large number of adults and teens will still go on a coaster with 3.8 fear, so it does OK, too.  Also, you need enough tame rides to attract enough low-tolerance families to keep them busy.  If your park is mostly high-intensity stuff, then you'll mostly have high-intensity customers and few families at all.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
Just have to say zero-g is being amazingly generous building one of his amazing coasters for you. I can't wait to see what the park gets.
As for the hills, I would just raise the land around the edges of what will be your park. It could feel like the park is in a valley then. You could even use the slopes to build on. Adding trees will give it the English countryside feel too.
The same stone for the castle as the Tudor walls could work.
And as for the Cotswold stone, I had a bit of a mess around. The nearest I could find was the Rough Brick set and then change the colour. I made them greyer with a bit of yellow thrown in.
The main colour if you want it is 96845E. I made the 2nd colour slightly darker and the 3rd colour slightly lighter so that it had a natural variance with the stone used. I hope you don't mind, but here's a pic of what it looks like.

Hope this helps.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think that is the closest you can get to it, There is a modern faux cotswold stone that I can approxomate too but the problem is the whole feel of it comes from the small but rough bricks look. with planco it is just stones or bricks that don't fit. I have also considered using screens for the walls BUT  I need to learn how to picture edit as they all come out whitewashed in game.

I might still have a play around and thanks for the colour references as you got them spot on!

I am super stoked to have zero G helping too! I can't wait to see what is created! Very lucky indeed!

I wish I could change the medieval wall colour as the bricks are good.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Brimscombe Hill Park and Gardens Phase Two - Gravity|Kinetics - Commission
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Brimscombe Hill Park and Gardens Phase Two - Gravity|Kinetics - Commission

Phase Two is coming to completion and Brimscombe Hill is SUPER excited to show off it's newest addition a Family Coaster Custom designed by Gravity|Kinetics. I've got to say, I am truly greatful to Zero-G for saving me on this one!

Gravity|Kinetics designed the coaster and it's transfer track and we themed them. So, here are the pictures:

All that was missing from our medieval area was a castle and that was our first thought for the station building.

Here is an above shot of the area followed by how it fits into the park.

We hope you enjoy and a final great big shout out to Zero-G for his work here!!!

Looking good, Rug.  I really like your pathwork / edging, it's clear you put in extra time when it comes to that stuff.  Time consuming as I know it is, it's one of those things that really pays off though, both in photos and park walkthroughs.  It's also refreshing that I'm not the only one around here that can't build a coaster :P

Also, glad to see the summer comp didn't burn you out on the game :P

Online zeroG

• View Profile
It´s great to see the coaster themed. The Medival style looks very good. That small castle is beautiful. The ride it looks much better now with the sourrounded theme than all alone in the place. I am very happy that you like it and it was a lot of fun to make it.
If you still want to have the two other layouts I tried I can finish them soon.
Thank for your trust!

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Looks good, Rug (and ZeroG)!  That looks like fun with the big drop and then staying fairly low.  The castle theming goes well with it.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
JP thanks! Yeah, I have to admit that I enjoyed theming  someone else's masterwork!

Zero G I would be very happy to grab the other two layouts. I've definitely got one more family coaster slot about the same size in this park the other side of the railway! Yes please!

Bullethead, I have ridden the coaster and embarrassing number of times because it's super fun and smooth! I'm very lucky for the addition.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
What a great addition to the park. Zero G made a fun looking layout. And you've done a cracking job of integrating it seamlessly into the park.
The pathwork is excellent too.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
I have finished Phase Two - The Medieval Area!

I've added an on-ride photo shop...the shop isn't on-ride... ;D

and I've named the Gravity|Kinetics Coaster - Siege!

I also managed to make a start on the food court/shopping area coming out the back of the medieval area which already housed "The Lavander Cafe" and now also has toilets, an ATM and a gift shop "Strangness and Charm".

Thanks for reading and any feedback or suggestions are still happily received!  :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Thanks for reading and any feedback or suggestions are still happily received!  :D[/center]

You do that architectural style so well---I recognize similarities in your contest park.

"Strangeness and Charm", eh?  Are the selling pure quark extract?  See, the boffins say there are 6 types of quarks, 2 of which are named Strange and Charm  :up:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Love the charming nature of this park. Very homey and down to earth and realistic. Nice work!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Thank you LuxDreaming, I am glad it is conveying what I want.

Bullethead, you're right, there is something in how I build atm. I think it is me doing what I know since a lot of this is inspired by local architecture. Figured I can either muddle through other stuff or keep practising what I do.

I decided to add some planters/path edging in today with Cotswold stone surroundings. Curtisy of the hints by Nemmie. Should be adding in a lot more of that style in the upcoming and also in the housing around the edge of the park.

I hope I can keep up the progress.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
After another couple of good build sessions and the daylight robbery of @Bulletheads wonderful kiddie coaster Brimscombe Hill has consumed the bottom right corner of the map in a bid to maximise space in the park.

Hear is what we fit in:

Before anyone points it out I TOTALLY know how to spell Caterpillar  :-[

Because Bulletheads amazing coaster was so compact I was FORCED to build a small pedalo ride  :mad:up:

This is the area areal.

There is a small fish and chip shop on the decking and you can see an access road from the front of the park with a viewing platform for Siege part way along.

and finally...

Here is how it all fits in!

Special thanks to Bullethead for building and allowing me to use his custom supported coaster :D

the new coaster lap option will be great for that coaster

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
When I closed down the game the last thought I had about it was grumbling that I couldn't do extra laps. I then logged into see your post immediately after and did a whoop at the positive irony.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
I really like this park!
Those rubber boats, AW MI GAWD, amazing!

On thing I would like to give to you:
The trees are like a green wall, you can barely see through them.
While in real life, most of the times you can catch a glimpse of an attraction which is behind the trees.
So maybe less trees will make it even more realistic? Unless it's a Disney project, Disney uses trees like walls :P

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feeback @Redhair!

Is there any part of the park you mean specifically? In the last few pics the trees behind the shops are actually on hills outside of the park grounds which is what the local area is gonna be like anyhow.

I have recently been worried I am over using trees though so it would be helpful to know  :up:

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
Hey FCP,

I guess those are the trees I meant. Especially between the new coaster and the building.
Anyway, it looks good though so don't worry about it :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Great work, Rug!  Those pedal boats are fantastic!  And you really spiffed up my rather modest coaster quite well.  Love the sign :).  I'm honored you found it worthy of use.

In real life, this coaster often does multiple laps because the queue is usually empty.  It's in a park that doesn't get much business.  Which is a shame because it's got some classic stuff, and this coaster is actually more fun than it looks.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page