Beginner's Tutorials

• 6 replies

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Beginner's Tutorials
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:31 PM »
There are many tutorials all over the internet and on Youtube. But many of them are out-dated and feature old information that may have changed or doesn't even work the same as it does now in the game. I don't know if this will go over, but it would be nice if the community could make some tutorials for the beginning player and post them here. They can be videos or screenshots or html documents or whatever. It doesn't matter what media is used to create them. But it would be great if we could have a collection of simple, basic tutorials to help every new player get started.

So, post your tutorials here, or link to them if they're on Youtube or elsewhere.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Key Bindings

A great way to get acquainted with Planet Coaster's controls is to go to the "Options" menu and click on "Controls". Here you'll find the key bindings for all the controls. If you go through all the menus, you'll find many of the things you can do in the game, and how to do them. Even longtime players can benefit by looking there. You may discover something that you didn't know. You can also rebind nearly all the various functions to keys of your own choosing. There are 10 sections to view here.

Mouse Controls

Object Placement Controls

Path Edit Mode

Terrain Edit Mode

Coaster Edit Mode

Building Edit Mode

General Shortcuts

Menu Shortcuts

Miscellaneous Camera Controls

Control Based Camera

The most important key bindings to learn are the General Shortcuts. Especially helpful are P to pause the game, T to toggle the Freelook Camera on/off, R to edit the selected building, and L for Camera Torch, which is great for seeing inside those dark underground areas. Another great use for the L key is for when you want to take a screenshot and the subject is either in the shadows, or you're inside a building where the lighting looks unnatural. (Yes, it works during daytime) Hitting the L key is like using the flash on your camera, lighting up the scene resulting in a much better picture.

Most of these controls are self-explanatory, so I will refrain from describing what each one does. If you are uncertain about any of these controls, post your question here, and I or another knowledgeable soul will answer. For instance, does anyone know what the H key (Focus Camera) is used for?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:29 PM by shyguy »

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:52 PM »
"H" centers the camera on whatever you selected. It brings the selected item to the center of the screen. Looks like if varies in results depending on how far out or in you are zoomed. Its more like a "center camera view" than a Focus...but I now that I talk my way through it...sounds like the camera is focusing (like attention focus, not depth/perception focus) on the selected item.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 03:44 AM »
o.O wow are there so much commands o.O i didnt know that.
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08 PM »
I am going to recommend this series to everyone:

(SNIP)

While it may seem like its the same as the controls Shyguy listed above he goes into examples of how they work and what it does.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:40 PM by shyguy »
Stand By to Dive!
Aye Aye Sir! Diving

The Submarine Voyage!

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 09:45 PM »
SubVoyageFan, I'm not sure if you linked the correct video. This is not a basic tutorial about the controls. It's a tutorial about triggers. And it's out of date, as the trigger system has changed a lot since that video was posted. So I've removed it. We only want up to date tutorials here. If you meant to post a tutorial on the basic controls, then you're welcome to re-post the correct video. :)

Offline AnubisLive

• Rotterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:56 AM »

My tip: Google is your friend!

I work from reference. That means te following. First you gotta have some form of second screen. This might be another computer or laptop. A tablet or mobile phone could work. Or as in my case an actual second screen:

Before i start any project is start googling for an hour or two, getting as much reference material as possible.

Case in point i wanted to build an Alpine village, specific to the region of Bavaria (or Bayern as the germans call it). I started looking for pictures by googling "Bavarian Buildings" this gave me some images. Somehow i got to a website listing the best bavarian villages to visit. I wrote down their names and started googling them to. All in all in just 2 hours i had my self a library. I've been doing this for a while, even in the RCT3 days, so now i have a map called Planet Coaster FileDB on my desktop, and in there i keep al reference material, and otherwise inspiring material:

Once you have a reference picture, building becomes so much easier. Many new people try to do this from imagination but most of us do not have a mind's eye like that. I open Planet Coaster which plays at one screen, and on the other one the reference picture is on fullscreen.

Examples

First the left building:

then the right one

This doesn't work only with buildings. You can do this with coasters, scenery and even n(e)ature.
Try it once this way and you'll see you'll improve like crazy.

---------------------------------------

Creating the building:

We are going for this building:

Step 1: determine scale. How big and how wide is this building. Sometimes difficult to decide, common sense is best used. I always look at the door. Take the rule of thumb that a doorway on a reallife building is 2 meters high en 1 meter high (most of the time less, but lets round up). This would mean that the balcony is at a height of 2,5 meters. The wall above the balcony would be 3,5 meters. I made it 7 meters high. I'll tell you why: I had to take liberty with the width of the building. I think this building would be just over 4 meters wide. BUT 4 meters wide in Planet coaster is a really really narrow space to work on (thats the scaling problem). I went for 6 meters wide. Because i overprojected the width, i had to this as well with the height, hence the choice for 7 meters (plus the cornice piece at the top). This way i made sure that proportions were still like the original picture.

Step 2: Create the facade (just the wall pieces!) to see if your earlier calculations panned out:

Step 3: Create the building. Keep in mind depth is only really important when you put the building on it self in an open place. (you will also need to decorate the sides of these buildings). OR when you wanna put in a interior. Since this building has open doorway, you will see the inside of the building, so interior (not included in this tut) IS needed. I determined that the depth would be about 2 meter deeper then the width of the building. The dimensions are now: H7(+cornice)xW6xD8

Step 4. Projecting the bigger pieces to the building. I use a bit of measuring scale (on the left) to make sure everything will be at the height that i want. I just use the one meter woodenpoles for this, stacking them up, and add color every other pole.

Step 5. Detailing. Create little things to make the building less boring. There's one neat little trick that i use a lot. (lots of people now this, so its not that special) If you closely look at billboards, you will notice that the letters are a layer just in front of the billboard. This creates an oppertunitie to sink the billboard in to the wall (You won't be able to see the board anymore) while the letter still remaining ON the wall:

Dont forget though. In a genius move by frontier ( ;)) there are billboards included under the "building" tab as well as under the "scenery tab". Under the scenerytab are some of the best for this practice. The new traffic sign, come in various shapes and sizes and are perfect!

Lets finish up the final detail, including the cornice:

Step 6: Enjoy

As you can see, even though i took some liberties (dimensions, the design of the cornice), having the reference pic on second screen at all times, really helped me create a Old West building, that actually looks like an Old West building. Im no Silv, Rudi, or Lady (or any of those brilliant builders). But i found this a perfect way to create realistic looking buildings. And you get results quickly too, you don't have to spend two hours on a building. This building was done in under 20 minutes.

See my whole thread at http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,20616.msg462738.html#msg462738