May 2018 WDW Trip

• 14 replies

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
May 2018 WDW Trip
« on: May 10, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Hey everyone! I am excited to be sharing a fun report of some of my photos I am taking during my "research trip." I am staying at Bay Lake Tower with a Magic Kingdom view and I have taken so many photos of the resort as a whole. Today is Animal Kingdom day, but here are some photos from yesterday and last night.

Please note: These photos are taken with no filters with an Iphone 8 plus!

This was taken from World Drive approaching the resort. Bay Lake Tower is my favorite and it is also one of my home resorts. The other is Saratoga Springs, but BLT tops that. We actually did online check-in and got our room number as soon as we passed the Magic Kingdom parking tolls.

This was taken from one of the hallways where some of the elevators are. The excitement was building up.

As soon as I got in the room, I had to take a photo of the view.

We have a two bedroom, but my room is obviously the coolest!

Testing out my phone's camera this trip. It is shocking at how well the zoom works.

One of the nice touches Disney has for its members. Every time my family and I enter we are greeted with the words "Welcome Home" from cast members.

I have always been addicted to this resort. Last May we had our first Magic Kingdom view, but this time feels so much better for some odd reason.

I have many sunset photos because the colors were changing and made everything look amazing!

Just makes me speechless. Photos do not do this justice at all!

So last night, there were two showings of Happily Ever After. One at 9 and one at 11:40. Both had the music playing and staying at Bay Lake Tower it is channel 105. I think the second showing was really cool because they had perimeter fireworks, and it was the first time in the show's history that it has had perimeter fireworks.

The first showing was amazing as always.

They even play the exit music and part of the preshow music through channel 105.

The second showing was a bit different. The first bursts had my jaw drop. I have never seen perimeter fireworks from this angle in person. It has been many years since I have seen them in-park, but this was really impressive.

Here is the first photo for today! Last night was a late night, and there are so many photos to choose from. I am sure the next few posts will be overflowing with photos.

Like I said, today is Animal Kingdom day! I will probably post tonight depending on what the plans are. There will be more trust me!

Re: May 2018 WDW Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Nice Cody. I will be there next week...and I'm getting backstage for a special event.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Great photos, Cody. I'm so jealous.

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Well, I am now back at home. Every night I got back I was very tired from long days making magic.

I am going to skip the numerous photos of the Magic Kingdom I took in the morning because there are so many that might seem like they are repeats.

Disney's Animal Kingdom was the first park I visited this trip. It was a rather warm day, but that never stops the fun.

I was very happy to see the 20th Anniversary decorations.

The Tree Of Life always makes me appreciate nature, and it also makes me want to look closer to find the carvings of numerous animals. In order to do this, the Discovery Island Trails was one of the first stops after eating lunch.

They really let you get up close and personal with some of the carvings.

I love testing the zoom with my camera. This trip I had many opportunities to do this and the results are just stunning.

I always think this is some rip off of Mickey Mouse, which is why I love it!

My family and I did all of the different trails and I took some photos within the Maharajah Jungle Trek because the architecture is simply phenomenal!

Something different we decided to experience is Up A Great Bird Adventure.

I liked the show and thought Russell and Doug were funny and very entertaining. The birds were very beautiful and I feel this is not your average bird show because it is Disney! We then did Kilimanjaro Safari, which was as good as ever. I did not take any photos on the attraction because we were constantly in motion.

The true camera test is in Pandora: The World Of Avatar.

Thankfully, I had a Flight Of Passage fastpass. The last time I visited Pandora and its experiences was during the Annual Passholder preview last year. Everything seemed a bit different, and yet it was all familiar.

This picture is blurry because I didn't know if you could take any photos of the link chairs or not. This is what I call "stealth mode."

It was not dark enough to get the good photos yet, but the plan was to come back after Rivers Of Light or at least around sunset.

Dinosaur is really hidden in Animal Kingdom, which is a wonderful thing for theme park nerds. This attraction is a very fun experience and a good thrill!

After taking Earth Science, I just had to do this. I love making nerdy jokes!

Around sunset, Pandora starts coming to life. Not all the way, but still great for photos.

The sun was quickly setting, and Animal Kingdom began coming to life.

The last time I watched a nighttime show at Animal Kingdom was when the Jungle Book: Alive With Magic existed. Let me just say, that was a complete mess. Nothing against the performers because they were spectacular, but that show was just a bit messy.

The lotus flowers were really impressive. I am a technology person who enjoys what Disney does with the latest technological innovations.

Rivers Of Light is a unique show. I loved the floats and feel it is very beautiful. It is a good addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom, but I will admit it can always be improved. Everything can be tweaked once in a while, so I hope Rivers Of Light sees some changes that only make it better.

We made the mad dash to Pandora to see it before the park closed at 10. Luckily, we made it to enjoy the sights for a bit, then got on Navii River Journey with a 10 minute wait!

In the queue for Navii River Journey. We had a few minutes until Animal Kingdom closed for the day, but a 10 minute wait you cannot beat it!

The last photo of Pandora at night. Yes, I took a lot and got a little artsy with some angles. This phone really proved itself on the first day. I know I took it in January, but did not get as much of a chance to take as many photos.

I love projection mapping, and Tree Of Life Awakenings is the perfect example of transforming a structure into a beautiful canvas.

It was a beautiful day at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The bus ride was a great way to relax before heading back home.

The caption says it all! I was glad to be back home and ready for another Disney day. Epcot day will be the next post in this photo report. If you follow my projects, then you will understand the jokes about Epcot and Magic Kingdom that are coming real soon!

Offline Fonki

• Fonki Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00 PM »
nice pictures cody, hope you have a good time :up:

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:12 PM »
nice pictures cody, hope you have a good time :up:
It was amazing! I did not want it to end!

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Are you ready for another photo post? Here it is! Epcot day!

It was a beautiful morning. The first day of visiting a park that is an inspiration to one of my projects. Epcot is the connection to World Of Discovery, a theme park within RCT3. This post will be one where followers of my project will fully understand the jokes. If you haven't seen my project, you may want to after viewing this post because it will be hilarious!

It was also the first time during this trip that I got to use the monorail! The monorail is my favorite transportation system, and I felt that it was important to enjoy the current monorail fleet as Bob Gurr claimed that a new fleet is coming to Walt Disney World!

The giant Mary Blair mural can be seen from the monorail station.

A fun gem I finally got to capture is the five legged goat! From the monorail station you can find this section of the mural and even spot the five legged goat. My phone has been really good to me and you will definitely see that some of the photos are just phenomenal!

Here is where the jokes start! Welcome to um Epcot? At this point, I was already lost because World Of Discovery is kind of different.

Yep, compared to my project Epcot has a lot less construction walls and dirt. Spaceship Earth dominates the skyline and just has a mesmerizing quality to it.

A very familiar angle, but still spectacular.

I honestly freaked out seeing this in person. The Universe Of Energy has been closed since August of last year. The construction walls have been updated, and I fell in love with the way it is presented.

The Seas With Nemo and Friends had a minimal wait to where my family and I changed our fastpasses. Air conditioning is always welcome!

I have always liked the colors of this building. World Of Discovery is eyeballing this closely  :whistling:.

The Land featuring an attraction about flying.......

We decided to skip Soarin', but we had fastpasses for Living With The Land. I have always liked the thought of the greenhouses in Epcot.

No comment about this....

Sometimes I try to get artsy with my photos. This was one of those moments.

The Flower and Garden Festival is a great time to be at Epcot. Later in this update, there will be many photos of topiaries.

Yep, another photo from this angle. Spaceship Earth always amazes me.

It was time to thank the Phoenicians for inventing the alphabet. Thankfully we had fastpasses to do this!

If Disney sold this mural I would buy it. Spaceship Earth is a great attraction that I feel achieves the original goals that made Epcot a unique park.

This trip, I was making sure to enjoy this region of Epcot because the 2017 D23 Expo has me ready for a new chapter in the Epcot history book. This entire area is going to look different in the future, so my goal in upcoming trips is to document different changes.

Another time to play with the camera's zoom. I am thankful for my phone for taking great pictures even while it being zoomed in.

More flower stuff!

Looks very familiar to me.... Just a lot less construction walls and not dinosaur themed.

I just realized you can see the Ratatouille construction in this photo.... I am going to predict more "go away green" walls are coming to Epcot.

There were quite a few of these butterfly topiaries.

Another artsy photo!

The last fastpass was for Test Track, but we made a few stops before it.

Another pavilion that my project is highly interested in.

Another topiary!

It had been a while since I rode Mission Space. This time me and my family wanted to try the new Earth mission.

It was less than a 5 minute wait. It was less than half full on our side. A little kid even asked if we had to wear the space suits during the attraction, which was honestly a really fun question to ask.

I have no idea what they were thinking making me the pilot. I was just on vacation then BAM, I'm a pilot.

After Mission Space, it was time for Test Track!

After testing out designs, it was time to go to Mexico!

I thought the Coco additions were really nice. I wish the Gran Fiesta Tour was turned into a Coco themed attraction, but I feel many guests would walk out sobbing.

I like this pavilion because it is indoors, but gives the illusion of being outdoors in the evening.

Traveling around the world photos yay!

Before Frozen Ever After, there was Maelstrom which had trolls that looked like this one!

It was a beautiful sunset that I could not pass up!

I rarely take photos of the ROE Earth barge, but I just had to!

Just think of the line for Ratatouille in the future!

More topiaries!

The final country, Canada!

Just a few more topiaries.

Illuminations is a unique show, and will leave guests wanting more!

In my opinion, the finale of Illuminations is very powerful and does hit the emotions. I have my own ideas for this that would make sure there isn't a dry eye in the house.

It was a beautiful day and night at Epcot. Illuminations was the kiss goodnight.

A blurry photo I took while making my way out of Epcot.

It was time to get on the monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center. Sadly, Magic Kingdom and Epcot both had fireworks at the same time 9 PM. Once we got to the TTC, it was a mess!

And I finally got back "home." Funny story: I saw that my TV was on in my room and I could see it from the monorail. I couldn't help but laugh.

From the 4th floor at the Contemporary

And one from my bedroom!

This is the end of the Epcot day photo report. The next one is Magic Kingdom, then the day me and my family left WDW. Theme park reports are normally a lot longer than just arrival and departure days, so expect another really long post real soon!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 05:30 PM »
These are some great photos, cody. I'm really enjoying this photo tour.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 05:05 AM »
nice day at the park Cody

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Hey everyone! I wanted to share a video I took the first night during the second showing of Happily Ever After. This is the finale of Happily Ever After with perimeter fireworks at about midnight!

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Happy Tuesday everyone! I have been putting off finishing this really long trip report, but I think I am going to show off the day I spent at Magic Kingdom! A fun fact about my Magic Kingdom day, I purposely made sure my family and I went on May 12th because Happily Ever After turned one!

There was a little rain that day, but I was fine with it. With rain comes more guests wanting to leave and visit another time. Spoiler Alert: The rain cleared up!

Hey look another time I zoomed in! I kinda had to because my favorite color is green.

Funny story, when I was in Magic Kingdom a woman asked where I got my shirt because it was a "dub shirt." I explained that I got it off Shop Disney Parks, but it is more than likely available in the Emporium. I know when waiting to get onto Mission Space, the cast member commented on my Epcot shirt. I guess I made good choices!

So we didn't leave the resort till about 1 or 2. We are lazy people, plus Magic Kingdom was open until midnight.

One of the neatest features of Disney's Contemporary Resort is that you can walk to the Magic Kingdom.

The most magical crosswalk in the world.

Main Street Station is always a welcome sight!

Like I said, the rain cleared. It actually became pretty hot!

After days of watching it from my room, I was finally able to visit the Magic Kingdom. Now it is time for loads of photos because the day was a lot of going from one side to the other to accommodate my family's needs.

So something different I got to do this trip is actually visit Gaston's Tavern. Normally it is super busy, but this time I got to try Lefou's Brew (photo coming soon). If you like apple juice then this is for you! I loved it so much!

One of my favorite memories from a past trip was when my family and I took a now 4 year old to Disney. This girl is a close family friend that we pretty much made family and have taken to Disney a few times. She screamed at the top of her lungs ARIEL!!!!! She made one dude jump!  ;D

So my stepmom and I got Lefou's Brew. She got the stein, and we have a ton of cups at home so I opted out. The drink was fantastic and really keeps you cool during hot days. I highly recommend getting it! Sorry for a photo of my hand, but I take photos while walking as opposed to stopping everywhere.

Like I said a lot of jumping around. I took this because my caption is "Me this summer even though I signed up for it." Differential Equations and Calculus 3 are kinda crazy together!

Yep, another jump from Frontierland to Fantasyland.

Fun fact: this attraction broke down as soon as we got to the loading area. Yay free fastpass!

Another memory I have is riding this attraction during soft opening. If you were at the Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event in 2014, I was there too!

So this was one of the few times we did not use the new mobile ordering system, but it wasn't that crowded. Mobile ordering is a great service whenever the park is crowded! We tried it out at Animal Kingdom and became addicted to it!

So, if you want to see Happily Ever After definitely get there over 2 hours prior. My family always questions why I try to get there super early, but the hub was already getting packed at around 7 when the show started at 9. Yeah, this show is till drawing in huge crowds. It is not like Wishes where you can show up 5 minutes prior and have a spot  :whistling:.

I feel they need to have the castle like this for a much longer time. I really like the colors!

A joke I have is that Happily Ever After is like a ritual. Once the trees light up around you, it becomes real.

So I do not have many photos of this section because I took a video. The song "You'll be in my heart" is kinda special to me and I sent it to my mom for Mothers Day.

All photos from this point were taken while I was taking a video.

Yes, this is my favorite scene hence the many photos. They need to keep the mosaic projections longer in my opinion.

Possibly the best Tinkerbell reveal in Disney history. Whenever I hear those famous lyrics "You can fly" I get chills and teary eyed because they nailed it in this show!

Happily Ever After is my favorite fireworks show. I was sad that we had to miss Once Upon A Time because we had to do stuff that was impossible to get through the crowd and back to our spot.

The wait time said 30 minutes for Splash Mountain, but my dad and I waited about an hour for it. It was worth it because we met a nice family in the line and talked the entire time.

Our last fastpass was for Peter Pan, and after the experience I took this photo because I am a fan of JustinScarred. He showed this off in one of his weird things of the Magic Kingdom videos. This is a fire hydrant for those of you who are curious. The name on the barrel is the local fire chief.

Just incase I am unclear, the fastpasses we used were Pirates Of The Caribbean, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder Mountain (free one), and Peter Pan. We did some other experiences as well, but I wanted to clarify that we used fastpasses throughout the day.

Heading back to the resort, I found another Mickey Mouse in the pavement. I was shocked because I thought there was only one, but I discovered this one on the way back to the resort, while the other is near the firepit below the Sky Bridge.

Like that, the trip had come to an end. Magic Kingdom was the last theme park day before heading back to reality. I knew I would have a hard time leaving my Disney home, but I always know I will be back again real soon.

I am a firm believer that photos are not as good as the real thing. The view was spectacular and had me sitting outside for hours even when it was really late at night!

Random breakfast photos!

My favorite breakfast platter is the Bounty Platter. It has changed a little bit over the years, but still a great way to start any day the Disney way!

I was tempted to go back and get a new room and stay even longer.

I know I miss walking across the sky bridge that connects the Contemporary to Bay Lake Tower.

This last look means this is the end of this super long photo update that took me about a month to do! I miss being in WDW so much and have had withdraws. I miss waking up next to the Magic Kingdom and being able to see the park from open to close. That is honestly one of the coolest things for me and of course being in Disney is the best thing of them all. Thank you for taking the time to view the photos I took during my trip, I know it took me a while to finish this up, but this is the end of the photo report. I do have videos, but I am debating which ones I want to put out in the world. Who knows! Well I hope you all enjoyed this and I know I will be doing more in the future!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Looks like you had a really great trip.

Now get back to work on your RCT3 parks. :P

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Looks like you had a really great trip.

Now get back to work on your RCT3 parks. :P
There are huge plans in place.  :D

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Thanks so much Cody for showing these amazing pictures. WDW is amazing I must say, just from seeing your pics. Definitely want to go there one day. Maybe I will once post a few pics from my DLP trip last year here in that forum. Glad to see that Epcot will get Ratatouille, which is a fantastic ride. I like all those pictures, but those from Magic Kingdom touched me the most. I'm also thrilled on the great quality of the evening- and night shots your camera made! And the view from the hotel... wow! Once more, thanks for those amazing pics. :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:09 PM by corkscrewloop »
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Thanks so much Cody for showing these amazing pictures. WDW is amazing I must say, just from seeing your pics. Definitely want to go there one day. Maybe I will once post a few pics from my DLP trip last year here in that forum. Glad to see that Epcot will get Ratatouille, which is a fantastic ride. I like all those pictures, but those from Magic Kingdom touched me the most. I'm also thrilled on the great quality of the evening- and night shots your camera made! And the view from the hotel... wow! Once more, thanks for those amazing pics. :)
Taken with iphone 8 plus  ;D . No filters at all (except some text in a few). I finally got a long enough trip to try out my camera and get artsy in some photos.

A funny fact is that my room this trip was one floor below the one I had last year. I knew when we got the room number exactly what view I was going to have because my bedroom was in the middle of the building! I could also identify it at night because I often left the tv and some of the lights on.

Bay Lake Tower is one of two DVC home resorts (the other is Saratoga Springs), but BLT is my favorite because my name is on a tile there.  :whistling: I also love the style of the resort as well as the location. This trip felt very familiar and comfortable because WDW is my second home.

I do wish to visit other Disney destinations in the future because many have inspired creations of mine and even had carbon copies because some ideas are just too perfect to pass up. I am a huge Disney freak, I am fascinated by the parks which really contributes to my fascination with all things Disney because of where the many stories come from.

Thank you for your feedback! I think Magic Kingdom is even more magical at night and the nighttime shows are spectacular (HEA is the best!). I hope you enjoy everything on SGW because we all have something we are passionate about and Disney is mine!