Horror Heights Help

• 5 replies
Horror Heights Help
« on: May 17, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Has anyone here pulled off successful door timing counts for the Horror Heights ride?  It's possible my park has too much lag to get accurate timings, or maybe the various doors all work differently, but I'm getting concussions from how many times I've crashed into a door that wouldn't open... I'm using the traditional Tower of Terror sequence with the sci-fi doors and I'm finding zilch for tutorials or cheatsheets on the web...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:42 PM by JPAlmighT »

Re: Horror Heights Help
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Has anyone here pulled off successful door timing counts for the Horror Heights ride?  It's possible my park has too much lag to get accurate timings, or maybe the various doors all work differently, but I'm getting a headache from how many times I've crashed into a door that wouldn't open... I'm using the traditional Twilight Zone sequence with the sci-fi doors and I'm finding zilch for tutorials or cheatsheets on the web...

Hey JPAlmightT,

I literally sat down with a stopwatch and timed the various intervals. I also used individual display sequencers for each door sequence and then timed the display sequencers to the main ride. Seems excessive but it makes altering times/adding further effects a breeze rather than putting every trigger into the ride itself.

I also found that there were just times when the doors wouldn't open at all. My main fix for this was to run the ride in a test sequence and then stop it almost immediately. Because the display sequence had been triggered (and all my elements were on individual display sequencers) it allows the whole display sequences to run through in full and reset once complete. That way there is no scenario where the actual ride running and all the effects are running out of sequence with each other.

Probably not very clear but if you're having real problems with it feel free to send me a link to the park and I can have a look if you want? It really was a steep learning curve for me!

Cheers

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Haha, I neglected to mention the third possibility: My complete incompetence and apparent inability to count, even with a stopwatch  :P

I was trying without the sequencer though, maybe that will help me out.  I'll give it a shot.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:07 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with Horror Heights, but PixelWeiss had some cool door effects in his "Eidolon" ride.  There's a place where he stacked about 100 doors right up against each other along the track, which all open in sequence 1 after the other as the train moves through, making it look almost like you're diving into a phone book or something ;).

In the "making of" video, he side this was all done with 1 single track trigger, and then each door set to activate at increasing delays of 0.1 second.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:18 AM »
^^Yep, you've hit on the issue.  You probably already know, but HH doesn't have any track to add triggers to and it all has to be done by counting the seconds into the ride.  It's ridiculous.  I'm glad to see them adding this ride to the game, just wished they hadn't botched it so badly by making it a flat and not a tracked ride. 

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:51 AM »
^^Yep, you've hit on the issue.  You probably already know, but HH doesn't have any track to add triggers to and it all has to be done by counting the seconds into the ride.  It's ridiculous.  I'm glad to see them adding this ride to the game, just wished they hadn't botched it so badly by making it a flat and not a tracked ride.

D'OH!  No, I didn't already know that, I'm only just figuring it out.  I thought there was a real ride called "Horror Heights" but now I see you're talking about the PC elevator thing inspired by "Tower of Terror".  I've never messed with that so didn't know it doesn't have track triggers.  I can now understand why it doesn't, however.  As I understand it, you can make the car go back and forth across the same section multiple times, which would certainly confuse the track trigger system.

Hmmm.... (goes off to look at the ride in-game for 1st time)....   OK, so this is a flat ride.  Like all flat rides, you get 1 "trigger" at the start of each sequence.  However, with this ride, you probably will only have 1 sequence (standard, reverse, or scenic), 2 at the most (scenic + tower drop) so you don't have many options.

Yup, I think you're pretty much stuck with Mackie's recommendation of stop watch and multiple display sequencers, kinda like this:

1.  Decide on the sequence(s) you'll use for the overall ride, which depends on the story you want to tell.
2.  Watch the ride go through this sequence, timing the whole thing with a stopwatch and writing down when the car gets to each location and how long it pauses there.
3.  Create the effects for each location as sets each tied to its own display sequencer.  Because you know how long the car will pause there, you know how long all these effects can last.  Then have the display sequencer be triggered by the ride starting, with a delay based on how long it takes the car to get there.

Very clunky.  Doubt I'll be fooling with this :)

-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page