Poll

Choose the map you want to be used for the Summer Competition.

Bullethead - Pharqueson Farms
10 (38.5%)
wowmanrct - SW Canyonlands
1 (3.8%)
kjellkamp - Tokaj
1 (3.8%)
Salad Fries - Lake Planco
14 (53.8%)
CoastersPaul - Circade Isles
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

SGW Pre- Summer Competition 2018 (Vote)

• 69 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
SGW Pre- Summer Competition 2018 (Vote)
« on: May 18, 2018, 03:33 PM »
The SGW Summer Competition 2018 needs a location for the would-be park designers. And it's going to be up to the SGW community to provide it. In this Pre-Competition, you are given the task of creating a fun and challenging setting for the main competition to take place. Pretty much anything goes. It can be a natural setting, such as a lake or river, forest or hilly area. It can be an existing place like a marina, camp grounds, gardens, city park, ski resort, etc. It can be in the center of a city, on an existing property, such as a parking lot, old shopping center, etc. It can be on any biome. It's completely up to you.

There should be some type of challenge to the setting, whether it be a tight space to fit a park, or a natural setting where the plant life cannot be disturbed. The challenge shouldn't be too outrageous, so as to make park building too much of a pain. Also, the overall size of the map is up to you, although it is recommended that it be medium-sized. Not too big or too small. The entire map does not need to be used or developed.

The deadline to enter the Pre-Competition will be roughly 2 weeks. The deadline is not yet set and will depend mostly on how many entries we get. June 1st is exactly 2 weeks, so try to get your entry in by that date. If we need to extend it by a few days, no problem. The best entry with the most interesting and/or fun challenge will be chosen.

Please sign up here to enter the Pre-Competition. If you have any questions or need further explanation, don't hesitate to post here.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:35 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Pre- Summer Competition 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I'm in.  On it now, as I'm too traumatized by the Musik Express to look at Dixie Landin' for a while :D.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:33 PM »
This is just a sandbox, correct?  Not a scenario?  Can we submit a park even if we do not enter the competition later?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 05:10 PM »
This is just a sandbox, correct?  Not a scenario?  Can we submit a park even if we do not enter the competition later?
Yes. Just a sandbox. You do not need to enter the main event if you enter this one. These are 2 separate competitions.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Yes. Just a sandbox. You do not need to enter the main event if you enter this one. These are 2 separate competitions.

So, can we create the map in the scenario editor, then open the scenario as a sandbox, save it as such, and then submit it?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:24 PM »
So, can we create the map in the scenario editor, then open the scenario as a sandbox, save it as such, and then submit it?
Sure. You may want to change the size of the map (recommended) and you'll need to use the scenario editor for that. Just do not create any restrictions or goals.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 06:13 AM »
I'm going to give this one a try as well

Online Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I would love to submit an entry :)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Sneak peak....A western or alien planet. Geyser basin

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Sneak peak....A western or alien planet. Geyser basin

Very interesting.  You've got lots of practice with alien planets ;)

=================================================

OK, here's my entry: 

Pharqueson Farms

Workshop Link:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1391547844

Stats:
*  500m x 500m playable area (1/2 the default dimensions, 1/4 the default area)
*  deciduous background but custom texture pallet
*  spawn in the SE corner

NOTE:  This place is intended for realistic parks.  Parking lots, backstage areas, etc.  So I built the map with attention to realism.  That's why there's not a single boulder on the map (see below).

Backstory
Pharqueson Farms is set in an imaginary place that looks just like the loess hills of Mississippi.  Loess is a Pleistocene formation of wind-borne dust and sand, caused by the Mother Of All Dustbowls when all the water was locked up in the ice caps during the Last Glacial Maximum.  In Mississippi, the loess runs N-S along the west edge of the state.  It is 80-100' thick, contains zero rock of any sort, and formed dunes that later stuck together (thanks to the clay in the dust) into permanent hills, upon which forest grew.  Loess is very strange stuff.  It can stand forever until it gets a crack, then water gouges out canyons with vertical sides up to the full thickness of the layer.

Anyway, the Pharqueson family bought a 61.78-acre place around 1900 and did a mix of beef cattle and various crops for several generations.  The WW2 generation, however, learned trades in the service and went to college on the GI Bill, so moved to the city.  Eventually Grandpa Pharqueson died and the family rented the farm to others.  But eventually it go used up, stomped into concrete by cattle and growing little but weeds.  So, the tennant moved out and the Pharquesons sold everything of value left on the place.  Then they put the whole place up for sale.

As it happened, the local Podunk County Council, in a fit of folly, decided to buy the place and build a theme park there to increase tourism.  And they hired your company to build the park.

The Map:

The yellow box is the playable area.  Most of it is fairly flat (being farmland) but there are some hills along the N and W edges.  Peeps spawn in the SE corner (in a small barn not shown in this pic).  The other marked features involve the various restrictions you have to work around.

NOTE:  All restricted items are marked by crow animatronics.  I did this for aesthetics, instead of placing signs all over.

The Restrictions:
The various restrictions are of different types.  Some items you can modify, some you can move, some you have to leave alone.

1.  The Road
This is State Highway 642.  It must continue to run across the map following its current route.  It can't be rerouted due to right-of-way issues, including that of the water main running along it.  You can, however, widen it, resurface it, add turn lanes and intersections, etc.  The Pharquesons used to drive their herd of cattle across it from pasture to pasture so it's not like there's a lot of traffic right now.

2.  The Power Line
The power line can be rerouted and modified however desired (even buried, I guess).  The park will need 3-phase power so you'll have to upgrade the line, at least, and probably build a substation, too.  However, as it supplies customers off the map, whatever you build must still tie into the lines where they enter and exit the S and E edges of the map.

3.  The Creek:
This is the headwaters of the Little Chunky River, an important watershed for folks downstream.  You can dredge it, straighten it, make a lake, whatever, but it must still leave the W map edge in the same place with the same flow as it currently has.  Any such work will require a water control structure (a sort of dam) that will allow flow to folks downstream and also can handle the flash floods that happen every time it rains, which fill the whole channel.

4.  The Farmhouse:
The house itself has been designated a "Hysterical Structure" by the county government, who wants it on display in the park.  You can move the house anywhere in the park.   You can rebuild it with freshly painted parts (instead of peeling "Haunted House" parts) provided you keep it the same shape.  You can use the house as a queue, a shop, a restroom, whatever.  The only thing you can't do is destroy it.  This only applies to the farmhouse.  The barns and all other buildings and junk lying around can be destroyed.

5.  The Pharqueson Family Cemetery:
NOTE:  The gate is open so the cows could keep the grass mowed.  But they also bent the fence and leaned the headstones.

Anyway, the graves can't be moved or built over by park structures or rides.  You can, however, fix the fence, replace the headstones, or even cover the whole plot with 1 large memorial structure.  Just show some respect to the Pharqueson family.  You can remove the adjacent oak tree if you absolutely have to, although the Pharquesons would prefer you didn't.

6.  The Indian Mound:
You can't touch this at all.   You can't even trim the weeds or trees on it.  It's owned by the state (assume the property line is 4m out from the bottom of the mound) and is protected by a number of federal laws.  Removing the trees would cause erosion.  This mound has not been excavated but surface samples indicate it was just a house foundation from about 1000 years ago.  So relax, it's not a burial mound.  Probably.  Anyway, put an informational plaque next to it and leave it alone.

Anyway, that's pretty much it for Pharqueson Farms.  It wasn't a very interesting place when it was in business so it's up to you to change that.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:53 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 12:54 PM »
wow - your's look great - love the roadkill

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:53 PM »
wow - your's look great - love the roadkill

Hehehe, thanks, but mine is quintessential fly-over country.  It has some hooks if you want to go either mundane or spooky, but at the bottom line it's just another old worn-out farm in the loess country.  The topsoil on the loess is pretty thin so farms here don't last.  The Pharqueson farm probably sold for about $500/acre tops.  I live in a similar place but, because we're now considered a bedroom community for the biggest city in the state, the same worthless, used-up farmland atop a sketchy mound of loess sells for $20K/acre or more to yuppies.  Thus are such old farms turned into subdivisions instead of theme parks.

Your place looks much more interesting.  You've got a mineral water health spa ;)

BTW, I stole the roadkill thing from your funny pic of the splattered Cosmic Cow ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Nice sneak peak Wowmancart! Love the sculpting that went into that. Look fwd to seeing it.

&

Bullethead, the first picture and the above shot really sell that as a map. Very cool!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Bullethead, the first picture and the above shot really sell that as a map. Very cool!

Thanks!

Because pretty much everything on the map will be bulldozed to make way for the park, I tried to make it user-friendly.  For instance, all the weeds in the fields are a "building" so you can delete whole swaths of them at once instead of having to do each 1 at a time.  I forgot to do this for the cemetery, though, which is part of the big barn right now.  But this is easy enough to fix.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Question...is there a way to lock terriforming in the scenario settings? I can't find anywhere how to do this.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Remember guys...
Just do not create any restrictions or goals.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Remember guys...

Hmm.  I thought I was supposed to come up with some "house rules" to make building stuff on the map more challenging.  IOW, not standard challenge game restrictions from the scenario editor, but physical constraints on what you can build in sandbox mode.  That's what I thought I did here, making a realistic set of challenges of the types usually imposed on new construction by federal, state, and local governments.  Are my restrictions not what you had in mind?

BTW to all contestants, if you start making your map in the scenario editor, BE SURE to visit the Research Tab.  Every map starts with a bunch of parts, rides, and whatnot either requiring research or totally locked and unavailable.  You have to move everything to the Available column.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Hmm.  I thought I was supposed to come up with some "house rules" to make building stuff on the map more challenging.  IOW, not standard challenge game restrictions from the scenario editor, but physical constraints on what you can build in sandbox mode.  That's what I thought I did here, making a realistic set of challenges of the types usually imposed on new construction by federal, state, and local governments.  Are my restrictions not what you had in mind?

BTW to all contestants, if you start making your map in the scenario editor, BE SURE to visit the Research Tab.  Every map starts with a bunch of parts, rides, and whatnot either requiring research or totally locked and unavailable.  You have to move everything to the Available column.
If you save the park as a sandbox...then all that doesn't matter

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38 AM »
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1392244291

Here is my entry. Its a bit more basic. SW Canyonlands. Let me think...what is my backstory...
OK...The US National Park Service (Department of the Interior) needed some hard cash. So, in order to support the parks as whole, they leased out some land from the edge of an existing park and let public developers build upon this land to generate revenue. I know, not the best environmental situation, but oh well.

I would say the park does have some restrictions if it were to be used in the competition.

*Any building does have to be approved by the government and fit within the ascetic look and feel of a wilderness park.
*The land cannot be changed except for maybe digging some additional waterways or altered for pathways, but the bluffs and canyons
  must remain untouched by bulldozers (and dynamite).
*The park has a vast open flat area inside the gate area for building a great little park where rides and structures can be built.
*There is a raised plateau where a low profile flat ride could be placed, but the walkway up will need fencing and cover.
*The geyser basin could be a great place to build a rustic hotel and the basin can be part of the hotel's gardens...but the geysers
  themselves must remain untouched.
*The area on the map where there is a yellow border has not been approved for development yet and must remain untouched. It is
  identified by a fence.
*The canyons can hold coasters, walkways, or structures as needed.

Here is the park entrance area

Geysers with canyons in background

Canyons

Another view

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:43 AM by wowmanrct »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44 AM »

I think what you did is fine, Bullethead. I want you guys to come up with "suggested" restrictions for the map you submit. But I don't want them locked in the scenario editor. Once a map is chosen for the competition, the Judges Panel will decide which restrictions to enforce. It's likely that all your suggested restrictions will be given the go ahead. But in case the panel feels some are too restrictive, then the option to remove any restrictions is easy to do, as opposed to having to go into the scenario editor and making changes to the map.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Here is my entry. Its a bit more basic. SW Canyonlands. Let me think...what is my backstory...

I like the scenery!  Should be quite interesting to build a park there.

I think what you did is fine, Bullethead. I want you guys to come up with "suggested" restrictions for the map you submit. But I don't want them locked in the scenario editor.

OK great.  Yeah, as far as I know, I built this where the only thing to stop you from doing whatever you want are "house rules", not built-in limitations imposed by the scenario editor.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Wow. These are so good I don't really want to give them competition, but... I might give this a go anyway.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Wow. These are so good I don't really want to give them competition, but... I might give this a go anyway.

Thanks, but please do make a map.  The more entrants, the better.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21 PM »
OMG Bullethead! damn your Map looks awesome! If it will not be in the contest, i just wana build there for me :) great work and details!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 08:03 AM »
I would like to add a comment about my sub...I did not add a lot of scenery details as I was going more for an open map to use. I am adding to it for a real scenario park...so I may submit a more robust version of the map if I get it all done within the time window.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 12:06 PM »
I would like to add a comment about my sub...I did not add a lot of scenery details as I was going more for an open map to use. I am adding to it for a real scenario park...so I may submit a more robust version of the map if I get it all done within the time window.

Yeah, I didn't put a lot on mine, either.  Mostly just terrain painting.  After all, the whole place is bulldozer bait ;).

If you add bushes and stuff, I recommend starting with a small gridded column you can hide somewhere safe, so that all the bushes and rocks will be part of a "building".  This will make it easier for folks to bulldoze them ;)

OMG Bullethead! damn your Map looks awesome!

Thanks, but if you look close, you'll see there's very little to it.  That's why I got it done so fast.  I didn't want to put a lot of work into something that was just going to be destroyed, and I didn't want to burden players with having to remove a bunch of stuff.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:09 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 12:34 AM »
and thats why i like your map. because its simple not ultra detailed but still charming and perfectly done!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 10:54 AM »
So here's the list of the (possible) entrants.

Bullethead
Fisherman
wowmanrct
CoasterPaul
Salad Fries

If you won't be entering let me know. And if anyone else plans to enter, post here.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I'm considering making one but don't count me in for this part.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 02:21 PM »
I probably won't...  sorry...