SGW Pre- Summer Competition 2018 (Vote)

Poll

Choose the map you want to be used for the Summer Competition.

Bullethead - Pharqueson Farms
10 (38.5%)
wowmanrct - SW Canyonlands
1 (3.8%)
kjellkamp - Tokaj
1 (3.8%)
Salad Fries - Lake Planco
14 (53.8%)
CoastersPaul - Circade Isles
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

SGW Pre- Summer Competition 2018 (Vote)

• 69 replies

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Pre- Summer Competition 2018
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 02:33 PM »
I'll let you know if i get some inspiration to make something, but right now i have had zero ideas for this yet.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 03:00 PM »
I'm considering making one but don't count me in for this part.

I probably won't...  sorry...

I'll let you know if i get some inspiration to make something, but right now i have had zero ideas for this yet.

Ah c'mon, folks.  There's plenty of untrammeled ground between and on either end of what Wowman and me have done, or doing either of our things better.  All the possible biomes possible in the game, both real and imagined. And it's not that hard to knock out such a map.  Make it mostly flat and minimize the effort of bulldozing the rest, which boils down to not putting much stuff on the map.  Easy peasy.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I'm trying to do a simple big box building as part of the park, but for some reason PC's graphics engine absolutely hates it. It's showing gaps where there are none, and the roof texture that looked fine by itself looks horrible repeated over and over at a distance. If I can get a better version working, mine's nearly ready otherwise already.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 07:10 PM »
... and the roof texture that looked fine by itself looks horrible repeated over and over at a distance. If I can get a better version working, mine's nearly ready otherwise already.
I've started using the large billboard screens for roofs and it works quite well. You can flip them, screen down, and color the top to any color you want.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 04:42 AM »
I will try to get my entry in by June first, but I don't know if ill make it

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 08:49 AM »
I will try to get my entry in by June first, but I don't know if ill make it
I have no problem extending the deadline a few days if you need it.

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 01:38 PM »
finished my map today, the buildings around aren't really mine, except the parking, parkingticket building(spawnpoints) and the two bridges where only people can walk.

the big bridge is made by: ELO (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1304726879)
the train station is made by: Zeka2.0 ([size=78%]https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1304726879[/size])

all the other buildings are made by frontier.

I hope it's isn't a problem in this competition if you use someones workshop items?

background story:

welcome to this little city, 10 minutes from Hungarian, Budapest. it's called Tokaj.
this little city has a beautiful island in the river the donau, which is used as city park, but the city wants to do something more. while Budapest is the biggest city in the country and is a really living city, Tokaj is just a simple city. The city thinks there is much more to get from all the tourist in this area of the country.

the major of Tokaj, is looking for investors for a new themepark on the island in the donau. this beautiful island will get attention from everywhere in the city. because it was citypark before it means there already is a parking(not big enough though). there are two bridges to the island which are not accessible for cars. the bigger bridge for cars has a nice view over the island, but is not connected to it(and can't be changed)

there are a few conditions before you can invest in this beautiful place:
- the statue of liberty can't be removed.
- the special garden can't be removed.
- the parking needs to change to prevent parking in the city itself
- the bridges can't be changed

are you the new investor of this pretty city??

pictures:

the parking

the parkingticket building(spawnpoint)

walkway to the first pedestrian bridge

the second pedestrian bridge

the begiinning of the island connected to the two bridges and the entrance of the citypark

the special garden with can't be removed

the statue of liberty which can't be removed either.

other (overview) photo's:

hope you like this, I will upload it tommorrow on the steam workshop. just need some little adjustments.

edit:

[/size]here is the map with the park boundaries[/color][/size](I don't really now how far the boundaries are into the river)[/color][/size]:[/color]

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:23 AM by kjellkamp »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 03:18 PM »
That looks very nice and an interesting ;)  I like the name Tokaj---one of my favorite wines ;)

I suppose we can't run coasters and all very far out in the river either.  Can't block barge traffic, right?

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 04:00 PM »
The park is set to half way the river, and in the direction of the parking it is a little Further then
The start of the forest. Is think you can choose to use it also as part of the themepark and move the parking a bit.

And the park lenght is between the Bridgestone sorry you can't edit them ;-)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 08:23 PM »
The park is set to half way the river, and in the direction of the parking it is a little Further then
The start of the forest. Is think you can choose to use it also as part of the themepark and move the parking a bit.
And the park lenght is between the Bridgestone sorry you can't edit them ;-)

Your English is very very very very much better than my Magyar nyelven but I still do not fully understand you.  It would probably be best if you drew boxes on the map for the different areas you're talking about.

NOTE:  I only know 4 or 5 words of Magyar nyelven and that is only because I very briefly dated a Hungarian girl who did not speak much English.  We could not communicate very well so it ended quickly  :facepalm:

I tried to find Tokaj-sziget on Google Maps but it was not there.  However, the bridges look like those at Margit-sziget and the shape of the island itself and its placement in the Donau looks like Szükõ-szigit some distance to the north.  I like this :).  It's a mix of real and imaginary.  Am I correct in my identifications?

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 04:59 PM »
I have no problem extending the deadline a few days if you need it.

Shy, thanks for the offer :)

Based on what i was able to get done today, I'm certain that I will be able to get my submission in by the end of the day on June 1st.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Lake Planco

Hello! Lake planco is an absolutely beautiful place that has recently been noticed as a spectacular weekend getaway location. Tourists have been flocking into the area taking advantage of all the lake has to offer.

Do you have what it takes to build an amusement park in this area to accommodate the newfound tourism?

There are 3 potential properties that have been on your radar for quite some time now:

1 - Lake Planco Ice Rink & Scenic Overlook - This property has some spectacular views! The owner's ice rink has been struggling financially for a while & now seems like the perfect time to sell.

2 - The abandoned church - This property has been for sale for many years now. A spectacular plot of land.

3 - Old Man Jenkins Farm - While stubborn old man Jenkins has refused to sell his plot of land in the past, tending his farm has become quite difficult lately due to his age. he may be willing to sell for the right price.

Some proposed restrictions:
1 - start with the ice rink plot (spawn point is in the motel directly across from it)
2 - expand into the farm/church plots as necessary as the competition progresses
3 - if crossing into the church plot, maintain appropriate clearance above the road

The Map

The Lake

The Town

The Ice Rink & Scenic overlook

The Abandoned Church

Old Man Jenkins Farm

An image showing the boundaries of each plot of land.. Its mainly roads, containing the plots, with the exception of 1 cliff & 1 row of trees.

Here is the download link:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1399696181

Please note:
I tried to make sure the map was 100% base game compatible. If it isn't, let me know and I will fix it.

Also, all of the buildings are either built by me or are stock planet coaster buildings (sorry about this, ran out of time & there was just too many buildings to build...). There is no DLC

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Your English is very very very very much better than my Magyar nyelven but I still do not fully understand you.  It would probably be best if you drew boxes on the map for the different areas you're talking about.

NOTE:  I only know 4 or 5 words of Magyar nyelven and that is only because I very briefly dated a Hungarian girl who did not speak much English.  We could not communicate very well so it ended quickly  :facepalm:

I tried to find Tokaj-sziget on Google Maps but it was not there.  However, the bridges look like those at Margit-sziget and the shape of the island itself and its placement in the Donau looks like Szükõ-szigit some distance to the north.  I like this :) .  It's a mix of real and imaginary.  Am I correct in my identifications?

I will explain, I thought I do a remake of sziget( where the festival is) but accidentally when I searched on google I got an image of margit-Sziget.  that's why the bridges are like margit-sziget. the name of the city is just a random city in Hungary searched on google.

I never been in Budapest or Hungary, so this is just google searches and my own interpretation. also it took to long to make a big city around it, so I couldn't name the city Budapest since that's a pretty big city.

here is the map with the park boundaries(I don't really now how far the boundaries are into the river):

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2018, 05:24 AM »
@Salad Fries:  That is a very realistic, nicely integrated and thought-out map and backstory.  Excellent!

@kyellkamp:  Thanks for the clarification.  That area will be challenging to build on, especially if you decide to put a limit of your own on how far out into the river we can build.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2018, 05:32 AM »
@kjellkamp:  Thanks for the clarification.  That area will be challenging to build on, especially if you decide to put a limit of your own on how far out into the river we can build.

I can change it of course, but I thought there must be something of a challenge. maybe the space is to small? I have no idea.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2018, 10:47 PM »
So we have 4 entries...

Bullethead
wowmanrct
kjellkamp
Salad Fries

Is anyone else working on an entry?

Offline elwindewitte

• Just a student with a passion for themeparks.
    • View Profile
    • elwindewitte.io
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Working no. But I wanted to modify my park I had been working on for quite a while until I saw the deadline... So if there's time to spare until tomorrow night I'd be happy to compete :D

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Working no. But I wanted to modify my park I had been working on for quite a while until I saw the deadline... So if there's time to spare until tomorrow night I'd be happy to compete :D
Sure. I'll give you 2 more days.

Offline elwindewitte

• View Profile
    • elwindewitte.io
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Sure. I'll give you 2 more days.

Awesome! Let's hope it's worth the wait  :n00b:

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I can probably get mine done today.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Circade Isles

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1401467301

Circade Isle was to be home to a booming industrial park, but, well, the river and the economy disagreed. Now all that's left is a big box warehouse, all that's left of one brick building, and some scrap metal. You may want to clean this up, or reuse it. Everything else was removed or reclaimed by nature.

But investors have been eyeing that warehouse. Perhaps with a proper facade and entrance it could be a mall, a fun center, or even a small indoor amusement park. Of course, if you leave it there, you'll need to leave the support structure too - it won't hold up by itself, even if it may have been far overdesigned as it is and should easily hold further renovation. Or, you could remove the whole thing for extra space.

If your efforts are successful, the city will probably give you building rights for the islands - those should be safe to build on thanks to the flood control that's been added over the years. But trying to fill them back into one island is not advised - you'll need to build bridges.

The road isn't very busy, and if needed you could simply add a crosswalk. But consider safety, and make sure guests are kept from wandering on the roads.

Not fully happy with this, but I just wanted to get it done at this point.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2018, 09:44 PM »
That's a big box :).  Interesting idea.  Where I live, there used to be a town called Bayou Sara, one of the biggest ports on the lower Mississippi River.  But it washed away in 1927 and today it's like it never existed.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline elwindewitte

• View Profile
    • elwindewitte.io
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 02:09 AM »
Sorry guys, I totally missed the opportunity. I got stuck at being almost done.
Anyway, some amazing maps and stories in here, can't wait to see what the summer competition will hold!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2018, 09:20 AM »
^Sorry to hear that.

Well then, the poll is up. Please vote for the map you'd like to see used in the Summer Competition. Anyone can vote, whether or not you plan to compete.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: SGW Pre- Summer Competition 2018 (Vote)
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 11:57 PM »
uh i think my vote has changed the situation on top.
but i must say, i love both bullet and salad. but i go for bullets!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07 PM »
I'm going to leave the poll up just a couple more days, so if you haven't yet voted, now's your chance.

Also, I'd like to see who would be interested in being on the Competition Committee. I'm hoping to get at least 3 members who are interested in helping to set up the competition, help with planning the challenges, and then serving as judges. I'm not going to have as much time to devote to this as I did for the previous two comps, so I really could use the help. And it would be nice to get some creative input from others this time around. Let me know if you're interested.

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2018, 07:48 PM »
I'm going to leave the poll up just a couple more days, so if you haven't yet voted, now's your chance.

Also, I'd like to see who would be interested in being on the Competition Committee. I'm hoping to get at least 3 members who are interested in helping to set up the competition, help with planning the challenges, and then serving as judges. I'm not going to have as much time to devote to this as I did for the previous two comps, so I really could use the help. And it would be nice to get some creative input from others this time around. Let me know if you're interested.
I'm in if you need me

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 03:19 AM »
I can help out, but I will be out of town a full week in July and one in August, if we can work around that.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2018, 06:03 AM »
I would love to join if possible

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2018, 06:46 AM »
I can help judge for sure.