Coaster Design: Up-Front or Built-to-Suit?

• 6 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Coaster Design: Up-Front or Built-to-Suit?
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:50 AM »
I've begun all my park projects so far by building the coasters first.  I start with a flat, open map, build a coaster, and save it as a blueprint.  Once I get a good variety of different types covering all demographics, I plunk the blueprints down side-by-side, run a path to them all, and open them up to see how the peeps like them.  Sometimes, 1 coaster might take all the business from another with generally similar EFNs, so then I can tweak 1 or the other so they both end up popular.  Having done all this, I then start building the actual park with these pre-built coasters scattered around it in what I think is the best arrangement to get peeps spread out nicely instead of bunched up.

This approach works very well from a peep-herding POV---I get the peep flow I want.  But I've found that this philosophy hits an aesthetic wall once coasters reach a certain size, especially if they have a lot of inversions.  Such things just look WRONG when built as if they were portable or pier park rides, which is what my above method essentially does.  An out-and-back giga coaster is about the limit of what I find my current method works for, so that I've never built a park with anything more extreme.

In my next park, I want to use some of these more extreme coasters.  But I'm thinking that they'll have to be built to suit their locations instead of designed ahead of time.  Which means I won't be able to judge how they'll affect peeps, so I could end up with problems that screw the rest of the park.

So, how do you all handle this problem?

Thanks.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Re: Coaster Design: Up-Front or Built-to-Suit?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Have a beer???

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Have a beer???

That always helps, certainly.  Especially with a shot of whiskey in it :).

I dunno.  In other folks' parks, I see all these huge coasters gracefully swooping along whole sides of the map, weaving in and out of city and village streets, etc., and I want to do that.  I don't see how that's possible without building it to suit the setting.  But I don't want to go to all that work without knowing what sort of stats it will have, so I can balance the rest of the park.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 12:48 PM »
I do a little of both if I want the coaster to be realistic. Build the general coaster and then place the scenery around it and adjust as needed. Its always easier to change up the scenery than the coaster....IMO

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:57 PM »
It really just depends for me.  Since I'm building on flat surfaces for Kaleidoscope Piers, I often build in another file and then bring it over.  But for Ghastly Gulch, I built everything in the park since all those rides hugged the terrain

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Everything needs to sit well in its context. Some of the best designed rides in the world are just that because of how well they compliment their surroundings. Restrictions can be a great thing if utilised!

Nemesis at Alton Towers is the best example by miles. Not the tallest or fastest but in my opinion the best designed rollercoaster in the world. Not much comes close to it.

Offline RedLine682

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 06:52 PM »
There are a lot of different terrain coasters such as Nemesis that also benefit from restrictions. Boulder Dash is another that comes quickly to mind. I personally prefer to build with restrictions as it's certainly more interesting and makes the layout feel more natural.