[TUT] Speakers and How To Use Them

• 3 replies

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
[TUT] Speakers and How To Use Them
« on: May 23, 2018, 06:09 PM »
I dunno where this should end up in the overall SGW scheme of things so I'm putting it here and letting it drift with the currents.....

============================

TUTORIAL on SPEAKERS

SPEAKERS
There are currently 4 types of speakers in the game.  Each has a different purpose.  All of them are found in the Scenery\Audio tab of the in-game editor.

What follows is a description of each type of speaker and what you can and can't do with it.

1.  Ambient Speakers
*  1st on list.
*  Appearance:  Small, light green dodecahedron.
*  Purpose:  To play continuous loops of background noise appropriate to that area of the park.  Place these along paths and in queues.
*  Volume:  Quiet and not controllable.  Need to space them no more than about 12m apart if you have a large area where you want the same background noise.
*  Triggerable?:  No.  They just always make whatever noise you select from the list.
*  User Sound Files?:  No.  You can only select from the stock background noise files provided by the game.
*  Special Rules?:  No.  They just do their thing.

2.  Display Speakers
*  2nd on list
*  Appearance:  Large, dark gray box (nearly identical to Music Speaker--see below).
*  Purpose:  To parrot (IOW, play the same thing at the same time) the music being played by the Display Sequencer that the Display Speaker is linked to, so that this music can be heard all over the park.  The Display Sequence itself can't be heard very far away so you scattered these Display Speakers around everywhere you want peeps to hear the Display Sequencer's music.
*  Volume:  Not controllable as neither Display Speakers nor Display Sequencers have a volume slider.  Always fairly loud.
*  Triggerable?:  Not directly.  Display Speakers start playing as soon as their Display Sequencer starts.  Display Sequencers can be started by ride triggers, at specific times/dates, or go continuously.  Whatever starts the Display Sequencer will also start all Display Speakers linked to that Display Sequencer.
*  User Sound Files?:  Not directly.  Display Speakers simply parrot whatever is playing on their linked Display Sequencer.  But Display Sequencers can use user sound files.  So, if you give the linked Display Sequencer a user sound file, the Display Speakers linked to it will play that file.
*  Special Rules?:  Yes.  Display Speakers have no controls of their own.  All settings for Display Speakers must be done on the Display Sequencer they are linked to.  Linking Display Speakers to Display Sequencers is very similar to linking VFX to ride triggers.

3.  Music Speaker
*  3rd on list
*  Appearance:  Big black box.  Nearly identical to Display Speaker (see above).
*  Purpose:   To play continuous loops of non-ambient audio files.  By default, this is any music file in the stock game, but they can also play user audio files, including voice PSAs.  Often used in bars, food courts, and queues.
*  Volume:  Not controllable.  Always fairly loud.
*  Triggerable?:  No.  They just play continuous loops.
*  User Files?:  Yes.
*  Special Rules?:  None.  Just place and select the audio file you want them to play forever.

4.  Triggered Speakers
*  4th and last (currently) on list
*  Appearance:  big red box
*  Purpose:  To play short-duration (only a few seconds) sound effects when triggered by rides passing by.  All good spooky dark rides employ scads of these.  But can also have user mp3 files of any length.
*  Volume:  Not controllable.  Always fairly loud.
*  Triggerable:  Yes.  These are the only directly triggerable speakers and they make no sound unless triggered.  Triggered Speakers can be activated by track triggers, flat ride sequence changes, and Display Sequencers.
*  User Files?:  Yes.
*  Special Rules?:  Yes.  Triggered Speakers are unique in having a Pitch slider.  This changes the way the selected stock or user audio file is played.  Decreasing pitch not only lowers the tone but also increases the clip's duration proportionally.  And vice versa for increasing the pitch.  This provides a nearly infinite variety of sounds you can make.  Also, Triggered Speakers must be activated by, and linked to, some triggering mechanism.

USER AUDIO FILES
*  ANY mp3 file can be put into your Documents\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\UserMusic folder.
*  Such files can be used by all rides, Display Sequencers, Music Speakers. and Triggered Speakers.
*  It doesn't matter what the content is as long as it's an mp3 file.  Thus, you can have music, verbal PSAs, SFX, whatever.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:25 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Re: [TUT] Speakers and How To Use Them
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 05:47 AM »
this is great - I wasn't expecting all this details

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:15 AM »
this is great - I wasn't expecting all this details

Thanks.  It was a good refresher for me to go through and re-remember all the details.  I had a few of them wrong in my head ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Thanks for this! Great tutorial!