Advice Needed on Fake Flat Ride Backdrop

• 6 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Advice Needed on Fake Flat Ride Backdrop
« on: May 31, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Lately I've been making another fake flat ride for Dixie Landin', trying hard to half-way approximate the standards set by masters like Fisherman and JPalmighT :).  The real ride is called "Over the Rainbow" by the park, although (as usual at this park) the signage on this 2nd-hand ride is different, simply "Rainbow".  I have no idea what make and model this ride is, but up to 23 peeps sit on 1 big platform at one end of a long, rotating arm (the other end has a counterweight), and the platform stays level as the arm rotates around an axis parallel to the direction the peeps are facing.

The real ride looks like this (obviously painted by somebody who neither knew the ROY G BIV mnemonic for the order of colors in the spectrum, nor even had a photo of an actual rainbow to work from):

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/p_425_5777_dixie_landin_rainbow

And here's what I've made so far:

There being no tiny hula girl statues, I'm just going to leave them off.  Otherwise, I think I'm coming close enough for BSI work to the rest of the ride.  EXCEPT for the backdrop billboards.  That's where I need some help.

As you can see in the pics of the real ride, the top edge of the backdrop is highly irregular and lined all around with the horribly out-of-order rainbow striping found everywhere else in the ride.  THAT'S my problem.  Given enough time and whiskey, I can probably splatter together some half-way decent approximations of the images on the real backdrop (although if a real artist wants to step up, PM me :D ), but the "rainbow" outlining is problematic.

I made the rainbow arch over the ride's seating area out of the smallest art shapes, which are too big to make some of the tight corners on the real backdrop's top edge.  Also, that would make much thicker stripes.  And then there's the area between the "rainbow" curves and the top edges of the billboards.  I can fill these gaps with "colourable" panels but getting them to match the color of the adjacent billboard textures will be a bother.

So, right now, I'm thinking of outlining the backdrop in "faux cloud" art shapes, like the back wall of the seating platform and surrounding the "Rainbow" sign at the other end of the rotating arm.  These "faux-clouds" will approximately match the outline of the real backdrop's top edge, and extend over part of the billboards' upper edges.  Then I'll just ignore the "rainbow" outlines of the billboard images and only draw the arch over the sun on the central panel.

How's that sound?  Or does somebody have a way to get a more true-to-life look?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:28 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
Re: Advice Needed on Fake Flat Ride Backdrop
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:29 AM »
That's awesome! This ride is called 'Rainbow' made by Huss Bremen. As I am a big fan of funfairs, I know this ride all too well. It was very common at the European fairs in the 90s.
It is a shame you can't use .png with alpha on billboards. This would solve your problem with the backdrop.
When using billboards, maybe you can give the part above the outline a black color, or a color matching the background.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Thanks for the info, Zyned.  (goes and looks up the HUSS Rainbow).  Hmm, not many of these things left, despite their apparent popularity.

If I understand you correctly, you suggest stacking smaller billboards along the top edges of the big, lower billboards to create the scallops on the top, and use images to fill in the pattern?  That might work.  Thanks for the suggestion.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I like the idea of using art shapes at the top to make the rainbow parts.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:11 PM »
It's tedious, but recently I've been creating things with the flat blue light from the studio pack, it's tiny and so far I've used it to outline lettering or even make entire letters.  You end up with a sort of "random chasing lights" effect.  More importantly, you can change the color so several of them could make a rainbow.  Mostly I like that it makes whatever I just made look more animated.

Looking at your source material photos it's amazing how close you've already come to the real thing.  Well done!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I like the idea of using art shapes at the top to make the rainbow parts.

The problem there, the art shapes are so long and thick that you can't make the tight turns in the stripes that the real background has.  It would look more like the arch on the back of the seating area.  That's why I was thinking of going with flat, irregular cloud-like shapes instead.

It's tedious, but recently I've been creating things with the flat blue light from the studio pack, it's tiny and so far I've used it to outline lettering or even make entire letters.  You end up with a sort of "random chasing lights" effect.  More importantly, you can change the color so several of them could make a rainbow.  Mostly I like that it makes whatever I just made look more animated.

Wow, that might just work.  I could use the unlit variety as in real life, the stripes around the top of the backdrop are just paint, not lights.  I'd still have to fill the area between the rainbow curves and the top edges of the rectangular billboards, but I can do that with colourable panels I guess, and try to match the billboard color.

Anyway, I'll give this a try and if it doesn't work, I'll just make clouds ;).

Looking at your source material photos it's amazing how close you've already come to the real thing.  Well done!

Thanks!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 04:30 PM »
It's tedious, but recently I've been creating things with the flat blue light from the studio pack

Well, I tried it and it's great for this application.....  except for the sheer quantity of them needed to make the rainbow edging for the full backdrop.  Extrapolating from the test section I did (which looked beautiful, BTW), I'd need somewhere around 1200 of these lights to do the full job.  I wouldn't mind doing that because lots of copying of sections is possible, but the rest of the ride without them is already a bit north of 700 parts with much more to go, and I'm trying to keep the total just shy of 2000 so I can put 2 versions in the same blueprint, one in the loading position and 1 separated into the main components so folks can put it an operating mode at any angle desired.

Great idea, though.  I'll remember this for my future pin-striping needs ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page