Wonder World (Rocky River Rowboats)

• 1198 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder World (Catfish Cove's new attraction)
« Reply #1170 on: January 17, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Love that last shot. Its really starting to come together shy. And really enjoy the simplicity of everything. Sometimes you get caught up in layer after layer but simplicity is sometimes best.
I think I've always tended to create simple buildings and concentrate more on the flow and organization of each land. I do sometimes go back and a few extra details where needed. But in trying to create a realistic park, the money is spent on the attractions and not so much on the architecture. I once read a snippet about Walt Disney who rejected a spectacular design for something submitted by one of his artists because is was simply way over the top. Walt thought the design looked like the artist was constructing a monument to himself instead of creating a cohesive look for the land being designed.

My main goal is to create a unique atmosphere for each land, and not try to wow people with over-the-top designs. That, and trying to keep the FPS up.  ;)

Been gazing at that last photo, especially the bridge, wondering how much was in game pathwork and how much was you creating from scratch....

Very photogenic landscape and atmosphere!
The bridge was created by laying planks down, covering the in-game cobblestone path. In fact, I cover most of the in-game paths with other surfaces including flat roof pieces, billboards, etc. All the paths in Catfish Cove are covered with reddish colored blocks from the Adventure Set, giving it a kind of hard, dried mud pathway.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:33 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 17, 2019, 06:03 PM »
That bridge is fantastic!  Very realistic bracing there and the plank surface with heavy creosote is perfect ;).  It's like many of the bridges where I live.

And I really like the panorama with the Expo sticking up in the background.  I can imagine Mr. Wonder sitting high up in there gazing down at his serfs in Catfish Cove and cackling like Mr. Burns.  "Eexxxxcccellent!" :).
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile

« Reply #1173 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46 AM »
I remember how much I loved this park in RCT3....but you've really outdone yourself here! It's stellar!!!!! There is no way you will be able to build this all on one map....unless you have an amazingly powerful computer.....but then...none of us would be able to explore it......at any rate....the park is beautiful and I can't wait to see it first hand.
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: January 18, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Thank you all so much. Your comments keep me inspired. :)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder World (Rocky River Rowboats)
« Reply #1175 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59 PM »
Rocky River Rowboats

The Rocky River Rowboats are now open in Catfish Cove.

The boarding dock.

The Bayou Motel acts as restrooms for the area, and features animatronic chickens on the roof.

The rowboats are basically a children's ride, with the boats on an underwater track. A silent motor keeps them moving at constant speed. Riders can row with the oars and steer the rudder, but they're really just there to give riders the illusion that they are controlling the boat. (Someone needs to tell Mr. Wonder that rowboats don't have rudders. :P)

Alpine Village looms above on the opposite side of the river.

Aerial view of Rocky River.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:02 PM by shyguy »

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 24, 2019, 09:31 PM »
Beautiful work! Nice job!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 24, 2019, 09:32 PM »
All these shots are interesting and beautiful, but the last one- doubly so. I especially like the river islands (called 'aits', I think). The rocks and plantings along the bank look great.

Quote: "Someone needs to tell Mr. Wonder that rowboats don't have rudders."

Well, now that you've posted it here, I'm sure he'll find out about it. ;)  So these rowboats are like the old Disneyland motorboat ride from yesteryear, where it didn't matter which way you turned the steering wheel or if you stepped on the gas pedal- they were just for show.

I like the chickens on the roof. But, what are they finding to eat up there? Locusts and other animatronic bugs?

« Reply #1178 on: January 25, 2019, 03:34 AM »
Clever use of chickens!  :D

It looks really great! Love how you masked the change in elevation with the ride and wall. Question; How did you get the path so close to your vertical wall? I've tried similar, but always have a gap that is hard to fill. Is that a path cover? It looks like the regular path.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 25, 2019, 08:03 AM »
The Rocky River Rowboats are now open in Catfish Cove.

And they look fantastic :)

The Bayou Motel acts as restrooms for the area, and features animatronic chickens on the roof.

I'm sure both the guests and the janitors appreciate them being animatronic :).

The rowboats are basically a children's ride, with the boats on an underwater track. A silent motor keeps them moving at constant speed. Riders can row with the oars and steer the rudder, but they're really just there to give riders the illusion that they are controlling the boat. (Someone needs to tell Mr. Wonder that rowboats don't have rudders. :P)

Well, they need the oars to fend off les cocodries.  This is a bayou, after all :).

Also, oar-propelled boats of this size, with a transom stern, are called "cutters" and do in fact have rudders.  They're too big and heavy to be steered well with just oars, and are also so big and heavy that they need oars at all the seats.  So the rudder is actually realistic and you might want to consider adding a 2nd pair of oars.  Of course, doing that would require everybody to pull together like galley slaves but hey, it would provide an educational experience for the kids ;).
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: January 25, 2019, 12:23 PM »
Also, oar-propelled boats of this size, with a transom stern, are called "cutters" and do in fact have rudders.
I didn't know that. I guess Mr. Wonder actually does know what he's doing. :P

Question; How did you get the path so close to your vertical wall? I've tried similar, but always have a gap that is hard to fill. Is that a path cover? It looks like the regular path.
It's a regular path I used, but it's elevated. It connects to the ground near the base of the buildings. It was a huge pain to accomplish. ;)

... So these rowboats are like the old Disneyland motorboat ride from yesteryear, where it didn't matter which way you turned the steering wheel or if you stepped on the gas pedal- they were just for show.
Exactly. But I didn't want to compare them to those. I'd have to use the "D" word, and you know how much Mr. Wonder would hate that.

Beautiful work! Nice job!
Thank you.  :)

« Reply #1181 on: January 26, 2019, 05:44 AM »
The last photo is a prime example of why it will break my heart when you start breaking up the lands into separate files.  Totally understand why it must be done, but I feel like seeing the separate lands finally interact is part of what we've been waiting for. 

Having said that, you did a good job at maintaining that illusion in the RCT version, so I know it will all work out.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 26, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Looks MARVELOUS, Shyguy!   Question: what are the oars made from? 

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 26, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Looks MARVELOUS, Shyguy!   Question: what are the oars made from? 
They're the Ski Resort Pole by cebism.  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1593820195&searchtext=ski+pole

The last photo is a prime example of why it will break my heart when you start breaking up the lands into separate files.  Totally understand why it must be done, but I feel like seeing the separate lands finally interact is part of what we've been waiting for. 
I may not have to put every land on its own map. I definitely plan to keep Alpine Village and Catfish Cove together.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:50 PM by shyguy »

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Absolutely incredible Shyguy! your landscaping and transitions are beautiful! I love the way that the alpine village and catfish cove interact with eachother

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: January 28, 2019, 06:34 AM »
This looks so wonderful!
Love the high path at the left (at least on the last picture); there is always that person in the family who doesn't like boats. So it's the perfect spot to wave and keep an eye on the family.
Great scenes.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 28, 2019, 02:38 PM »
This looks so wonderful!
Love the high path at the left (at least on the last picture); there is always that person in the family who doesn't like boats. So it's the perfect spot to wave and keep an eye on the family.
Great scenes.

Absolutely incredible Shyguy! your landscaping and transitions are beautiful! I love the way that the alpine village and catfish cove interact with eachother

Thanks for your nice comments, guys. :)

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 28, 2019, 03:49 PM »
So nice and relaxing to look at, shyguy. Everything is beautifully arranged!

« Reply #1188 on: January 30, 2019, 03:50 AM »
How in the world did you get those peeps in the boats?? I know there is no ride of this type (or I have missed a DLC) This looks really great .

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 30, 2019, 05:10 AM »
How in the world did you get those peeps in the boats?? I know there is no ride of this type (or I have missed a DLC) This looks really great .

Studio-pack animatronics ;)

Offline thylacine

• Expect something soonish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 21, 2019, 01:16 AM »
Wow, it really has been a minute since I was here last. I came to see if an old thread was still active and found the site had been rearranged. When I logged in old habits kicked in and I clicked the "Show new replies to your posts" link, was extremely happy to see that this thread had continued being updated! Especially that the last picture update was from my birthday.

I am so excited to see this progress! Catfish Cove is looking amazing, as well as Alpine Village. These two lands have got to be my two favorite lands of the entire park (with Cascade Canyon being a very close third). I am in awe at some of these pictures and some of them actually seem real and from a distance I was actually mistaken a couple of times!

I really can't wait to see the new Storybook ride. I'm also really intrigued at how you plan on tackling the Rumbling Ridge. Who am I kidding, I can't wait to see how you do any of the rides! LoL.

4 main rides left? The Storybook ride, Wizard's Castle, Rumbling Ridge and Professor Fate's House of Fun? I'm assuming the War of the Worlds ride is scrapped? To me it seems like the Space Port ride building takes its place. Regardless, I'm still excited to see how this progresses.

Oh, and thought I'd mention this, if I ever win the lottery or something I totally would give you a portion in order to build this park, even if its a small amount. I'd love to see this park IRL some day.

It was great stopping by, I hope to not remain a stranger for much longer!

-thylacine

« Reply #1191 on: March 27, 2019, 06:55 PM »
C'mon shyguy, it's been way too long since we've seen an update!!! Get crackin!  ;D

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 27, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Sorry, but my creative juices just aren't flowing right now. I'm taking some time off from my Planet Coaster projects for a while.

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #1193 on: March 27, 2019, 09:37 PM »
Sorry, but my creative juices just aren't flowing right now. I'm taking some time off from my Planet Coaster projects for a while.

Those shots are absolutely gorgeous  :o ! Hope you get flowing again soon!

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1194 on: March 28, 2019, 04:45 AM »
after weeks iam back at this legendary forum and then this BANGER UPDATE!
Yeah shy this just looks awesome!

But iam a bit confused, ist this a real actual ride? i mean okay i didnt play that much Planco in the last weeks/months but did i missed this absolutly lovely ride o.O or is this just another mr. wonder trick?
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 28, 2019, 01:07 PM »

Those shots are absolutely gorgeous  :o ! Hope you get flowing again soon!
Thanks, JCat.

But iam a bit confused, ist this a real actual ride? i mean okay i didnt play that much Planco in the last weeks/months but did i missed this absolutly lovely ride o.O or is this just another mr. wonder trick?
No, there is no actual rowboat ride. It's just the rowboat props with the seated animatronics from the Studio Pack DLC.

Offline Germs

• Respectable Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 28, 2019, 01:14 PM »
I love the river! They remind me of the Efteling lake, which was so magical seeing all the boats navigating themselves.

Offline RCTSpanky

• Old RCT fart :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 16, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Can't help myself, reading this thread reminds me a lot of old RCT3 Times ... searched in my old archives and found this ..

« Reply #1198 on: April 22, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Wow Shyguy! Wonder World looks absolutely gorgeous in Planet Coaster. I'm in love with those rowboats - they are so cute! Can't wait to see more :)