SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1 (Winners Posted)

• 161 replies

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile

Hello! Lake planco is an absolutely beautiful place that has recently been noticed as a spectacular weekend getaway location. Tourists have been flocking into the area taking advantage of all the lake has to offer.

Do you have what it takes to build an amusement park in this area to accommodate the newfound tourism?

There are 3 potential properties that have been on your radar for quite some time now:

1 - Lake Planco Ice Rink & Scenic Overlook (outlined in black) - This property has some spectacular views! The owner's ice rink has been struggling financially for a while & now seems like the perfect time to sell.

2 - The abandoned church (outlined in purple) - This property has been for sale for many years now. A spectacular plot of land.

3 - Old Man Jenkins Farm (outlined in blue) - While stubborn old man Jenkins has refused to sell his plot of land in the past, tending his farm has become quite difficult lately due to his age. he may be willing to sell for the right price.

Challenge #1

You have just purchased the ice rink plot. Create a proper entrance for your new park. You will need a parking lot, entrance gate, ticket booth(s) and restrooms. Create at least one food vendor and gift shop. Then you have a choice...either keep the ice rink and refurbish it, or remove it completely and replace it with anything you like. It can be one or more flat rides, a small tracked ride, small roller coaster, or anything else that takes up relatively the same space as the ice rink. If you decide to keep the ice rink, you may still build another attraction of your choice, if you have the time. Feel free to remove any or all of the picnic spots, remove or relocate the restrooms, and remove any existing paths and create your own. You may not yet build outside the ice rink plot, or build anything along the cliffs above the lake. The deadline to complete this challenge is midnight on Thursday, July 5th.

Park Download - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1420218500

Post any questions here. Good luck to all the entrants.

Entrants
Bullethead
Pietrix008
champ01
FCP-Rug
ChrisFranklin
AemJaY
batmanslayer
paterdave2
mosesjd86
DragsterDan1987
Forgath
JPAlmighT
PhDisney

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:15 AM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Hello Shyguy,
I get the message i dont own a certain DLC and cannot save changes made to the park when i open the scenario.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Hello Shyguy,
I get the message i dont own a certain DLC and cannot save changes made to the park when i open the scenario.

So get the DLC!  Seriously, you can do so many wonderful things with all the new parts.  They have thousands of uses.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Hello Shyguy,
And Salad Fries swore that there was no DLC in this map. ;) Do you know what DLC set or which object?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 05:36 PM »
I have a question.....  Where do the peeps spawn?  I can't find the spawner anywhere on the map.  It would be nice to know where it is so I could plan entrance pathing to suit ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 06:05 PM »
^ It's in the Valu Motel across the street from the ice rink.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:04 PM »
I'd like to try competing if it's not too late. 

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 08:47 PM »
I'd like to try competing if it's not too late. 
Go for it.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 01:05 AM »
And Salad Fries swore that there was no DLC in this map. ;) Do you know what DLC set or which object?

When i click the 'buy DLC' button in my screen steam opens the adventure pack DLC, so i am assuming thats the one.
I havent found the object yet, but ill try to find it.

One more thing: you set the deadline on Saturday July 5th. Yet the 5th is a Thursday?

So get the DLC!  Seriously, you can do so many wonderful things with all the new parts.  They have thousands of uses.
Though i like certain DLC packs Bullethead, thats a no for now. I have to get more time into the game first before I find it valid to purchase DLC's

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 07:00 AM »
How much can we alter the existing highway in front of the ice rink?  Obviously we need to create an intersection so cars can get into the parking lot, but how fancy can we get with that?  Can we add turn lanes to minimize the park's impact on through traffic?  Can we put a sidewalk on the town side so peeps won't step right into the highway from the spawner?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 10:25 AM »
I have found 2 Dead Swamp Trees from the Adventure DLC pack and removed them. Hopefully those were the only DLC objects. Re-download the park, and let me know if it's okay now.

How much can we alter the existing highway in front of the ice rink?
I'm sure the city will cooperate with you and allow the addition of sidewalks, turning lanes, etc. Just no altering the actual route of any of the highways.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I have found 2 Dead Swamp Trees from the Adventure DLC pack and removed them. Hopefully those were the only DLC objects. Re-download the park, and let me know if it's okay now.

Yes, the DLC notification is gone. Many thanks!

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Yes, the DLC notification is gone. Many thanks!
Great!

And thanks for letting me know about the date mix up. I must have been looking at the wrong month on the calendar.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 03:50 PM »
omg, im so sorry about the dlc :(

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 10:35 AM »
omg, im so sorry about the dlc :(
YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!! :o :down: :wacko: 8|

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 11:56 AM »
When it comes time to post our entries, are there any limits on number of screenshots or other things?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 03:16 PM »
When it comes time to post our entries, are there any limits on number of screenshots or other things?
Yes, there will be a maximum number of screenshots allowed. I don't have that number just yet, but I'll let you know.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 04:55 AM »
Yes, there will be a maximum number of screenshots allowed. I don't have that number just yet, but I'll let you know.

I hope it's a high number.  This challenge covers a lot of acreage ;).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Does the food vendor have to be actually food or would say a Street Fox suffice? Does the gift shop need to be functional or would an interior with a check-out counter be okay?

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Does the food vendor have to be actually food or would say a Street Fox suffice? Does the gift shop need to be functional or would an interior with a check-out counter be okay?
Both those options are fine.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 02:34 AM »
uhhh it started. well i need to have a look if i can compete in the first one. tough schedule at work and stream, and even sport is on the plan. but i will try my best!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 03:55 PM »
may we add other attractions such as show stages? and may we add more than one food shop?

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 04:49 PM »
The rules state to build at least one food vendor, which means you can build more than one. It also states that you can build whatever you like, so yes, you can build a stage show.

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 02:14 PM »
New member, and new player, and this is my first post, but would love to jump in on this challenge if I may please?

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 03:24 PM »
New member, and new player, and this is my first post, but would love to jump in on this challenge if I may please?
Go right ahead. You've still got plenty of time to complete the 1st challenge.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 04:26 PM »

Welcome aboard!  And I salute you're "go-for-it" attitude!  I suspect PC isn't your 1st rodeo in this genre, especially with that handle you've chosen :D.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 12:38 AM »
Welcome aboard!  And I salute you're "go-for-it" attitude!  I suspect PC isn't your 1st rodeo in this genre, especially with that handle you've chosen :D.

Thanks! It’s actually my first time in a park building game, although I do have 25-30 hours of “messing around” time under my belt.

The handle is two separate things: a completed PhD and a fan of Disney theme parks. I so wish they were related!

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Unfortunately I'm going to have to drop out. Summer classes are a bit more time intensive than I originally thought. Also, my program finally posted fall schedule, and we hit the ground sprinting in mid-August. School comes before Planet Coaster, unfortunately. Ugh, being a responsible adult sucks sometimes  :down:
I look forward to watching what people create this summer though. Good luck everyone!  :up:

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 02:00 AM »
Just to be absolutely clear, we can build everywhere within the black outlined area except the cliffs? So basically, anywhere up to the several little overlook platforms is fine?

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Just to be absolutely clear, we can build everywhere within the black outlined area except the cliffs? So basically, anywhere up to the several little overlook platforms is fine?
Yes, that is correct. Just don't fill up the entire area, as you'll need some space for the goals in Challenge #2. ;)